Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I walked all over that battle field and didn't see any snakes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
I'm not saying I know for a fact that it is what happened to Custer as you can't say for a fact it didn't happen. Books are usually written by the winners. It is very reasonable to think it may have happened. Instead of going down in a blaze of glory with his bulldogs.

Yes, I can say with certainty, that did not happen. Custer and all his immediate command were dead and left on the battlefield by late afternoon. He and his troops were found the next day on Last Stand Hill, Custer with 2 mortal wounds. No Indians were romping around and having their way with him or any other trooper.

They did mutilate, but it is recorded that torture was only done to Isaiah Dorman…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok it couldn't of happened cause what you read was a concise eye witness account that couldn't by chance omitted details that that would have put a national hero in a worse then favorable light. I look at probabilities and circumstances. History shows that things that happened have never been reported. Because of negative light it would bring to our hero's during wartime. There were atrocities on both sides such is the nature of war. I wasn't there so I can't say what happen but I do not take every thing I read as true. I read it so therefore it is true. If you think it's true good for you but you don't know is my point.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The beauty of the place is what struck me. The stark divide the river makes between the lumpy hills to the north and the flat plain to the south where the tribes were camped. The genocidal intent of the soldiers and their arrogance is hard to imagine. They paid dearly for it as the scattered tombstones tell so vividly. It must have been a horrible surprise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ok it couldn't of happened cause what you read was a concise eye witness account that couldn't by chance omitted details that that would have put a national hero in a worse then favorable light. I look at probabilities and circumstances. History shows that things that happened have never been reported. Because of negative light it would bring to our hero's during wartime. There were atrocities on both sides such is the nature of war. I wasn't there so I can't say what happen but I do not take every thing I read as true. I read it so therefore it is true. If you think it's true good for you but you don't know is my point.

The point is, you continue to spend time listening to rumors and stories of Ulysses. I have studied this battle, been over the battlefield countless times with credible historians, helped produce a documentary on aspects of the battle and then you come along with a fairy tale that you want to believe.

Believe it all you want, it still didn’t happen that way and there is ironclad evidence that no such torture ever happened to Custer.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been by there many years ago. If I go by again I will be sure to stop. That was over 40 years ago. An amazing part of our history. I understand the sight has been totally escavated. Please don't let a meaningless pissing match to highjack the thread. I just have a problem with absolutes lol.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok let's see the ironclad evidence. I was merely adding what I had heard. Never said it was true but possible. So if it doesn't fit your narritive of your documentery and you want to school me lets see the ironclad evidence I'm sure many people are interested. A report from a relative that was there is worth taking into account. A fairy didn't tell me.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
The beauty of the place is what struck me. The stark divide the river makes between the lumpy hills to the north and the flat plain to the south where the tribes were camped. The genocidal intent of the soldiers and their arrogance is hard to imagine. They paid dearly for it as the scattered tombstones tell so vividly. It must have been a horrible surprise.

It is tough country and terrain would seem to make it difficult to recon and maneuver long distance. Not a military tactician so I may be off base. I do know a heck of a deer herd could be 50 yards away and you'd never see them.

Someone posted the Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapahoe chose their camp location well and it is true. I seem to remember from somewhere that some had camped there before.

As for arrogance of the troops...
I never served but know some who did and some paid dearly mentally and physically.

I suspect that it was the same then and there. No arrogance... just some men doing a job they were told to do. Asking why you were doing it brought nothing but trouble. A good percentage of the army, 7th cavalry included, were recent immigrants -many probably had a hard time with English.

The tombstones in groups of two, three, or alone show how they fought and died up and down the hills. Three to fight and one to hold horses (memory is weak- Might have been 2 and 2).

I suppose when the SHTF there was no arrogance, just some poor souls fighting for their lives and the life of the fellow next to them. I doubt whether most of the officers had little or no respect for the aborigine's abilities, either.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok let's see the ironclad evidence. I was merely adding what I had heard. Never said it was true but possible. So if it doesn't fit your narritive of your documentery and you want to school me lets see the ironclad evidence I'm sure many people are interested. A report from a relative that was there is worth taking into account. A fairy didn't tell me.

Well it’s pretty hard to torture a man with a gunshot wound to the chest and one to the head…

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have been there. It is very tough terrain. I don't see how Reno's men could have climbed that bank and gotten out of the river.

Tough terrain? study Chief Joseph and you will have an understanding of tough terrain

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will be going to the 150th anniversary in 2026. I hope to connect with shrapnel and get a tour from him. I was their for the 140th anniversary. The place is a must see for anyone. More East/west coast liberals need to see it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you guys checked out Medora and Mandan area in North Dakota it's not far away and I would think it would be of interest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The little bighorn and Custer gets all the hoopla.... but Chief Joseph was much more fascinating in my opinion

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh boy not another pissing match lol.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It has been many years since I visited the site, circa, 1981 or so. My memory is a bit wacked, but tough terrain did not enter my feeble mind when I was there, especially for horses that were bred for the conditions. Anyhoo, some of you wing nuts would be better served to spend some time with your nose in the history books from that era instead of running your speculative, ignorant pie holes!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
The genocidal intent of the soldiers and their arrogance is hard to imagine.
The Indians were brutal savages. If the country was going to be settled and farmed there could not be murderous highly mobile nomads ransacking and killing at will. Actually Custer was in hot water in Washington for reporting misuse of money appropriated for Indians. Those soldiers had a job to do and I suspect many were reluctant to kill which may have affected the outcome. Custer did make several blunders which ended up dooming his battalion but branding the soldiers as genocidal and arrogant is wrong unless unknown to me you are a mind reader that can exercise that talent back almost 150 years.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troublesome82
It has been many years since I visited the site, circa, 1981 or so. My memory is a bit wacked, but tough terrain did not enter my feeble mind when I was there, especially for horses that were bred for the conditions. Anyhoo, some of you wing nuts would be better served to spend some time with your nose in the history books from that era instead of running your speculative, ignorant pie holes!

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Goodness.

This is not the place to pose questions.
Apologize for any aggravation caused by ignorance on my part.

I never thought to take any pictures while there. Wish I would have.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lost we are all ignorant in many ways I prefer to be taught rather then preached to. Enjoy the thread. You have nothing to apologize for. Glad you shared your experience.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.