Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is getting to be like a reallality show. What's going to happen next. Is everything going to be ok. Stay tuned.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Yep that was very deep and witty pharm. You remind me of the little guy behind the bully trying to egg someone on.

Just acknowledging the skill.

Kudos, if you will.

Interesting that you responded to my comment and not to shrapnel’s.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I did pharm. Do have anything of substance to add.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did pharm. Do have anything of substance to add.

Besides an English lesson?

No.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't think so.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haha. That is cool thanks add just what this thread needed !

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
First generation Whoopee Cushion?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing a few historians have mentioned is that, aside from Custer's aggressive tactics during the War Between the States, he gained a lot of confidence (perhaps over-confidence) in his overwhelming "victory" over the big Cheyenne village on the Washita River in Oklahoma in November of 1868. It was also relatively large, and strung out along a river--but I have visited both sites (the LBH many times) and they are very different in terrain, despite both being plains areas. And the Cheyennes on the Washita were really surprised--unlike the LBH.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes it just takes a little while to find common ground. Never look for a fight they seem to find me. Can't seem to figure out why.
Fights seem to find you? It's a pattern?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing a few historians have mentioned is that, aside from Custer's aggressive tactics during the War Between the States, he gained a lot of confidence (perhaps over-confidence) in his overwhelming "victory" over the big Cheyenne village on the Washita River in Oklahoma in November of 1868. It was also relatively large, and strung out along a river--but I have visited both sites (the LBH many times) and they are very different in terrain, despite both being plains areas. And the Cheyennes on the Washita were really surprised--unlike the LBH.
I read an Indian account that said they were surprised and didn't know Custer's cavalry was in the area. But I can't recall the source. I've read a bunch about the battle and for awhile I was on a LBH message board where things were discussed and argued ad nauseum. Everything I've read and heard has kind of run together. Anyway the Indian said they thought it was Crook coming back at them from the Rosebud battle.

It seems to me there would have been a dust cloud kicked up by Custer's bunch that someone out 2000 or more Indians would have seen.

I am going back to the LBH battlefield this September.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread needs some music. smile

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I found both of these to be good overviews.

How accurate they are, I have no idea.

Reno was sauced going into the engagement.

The 2nd video is clear about when the army record ends. Speculation and putting the puzzle together after that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am going back to the LBH battlefield this September.

I was just by there yesterday, I never get tired of it.

Watching Jeremiah Johnson right now and they are going through the Crow burial ground. Bad news for Mrs. Johnson and Kaleb…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel: Do you think Reno was drunk at the time he led the attack on the south end? Do you believe the Custer battalion would have survived had Benteen rode through Reno's defeated battalion without stopping to combine and organize them? I suspect the whole outfit would have been destroyed.

I know it is said you ride to the sound of the guns, but Benteen did "come On" and did "bring packs". And I'm sure it was obvious to him that Reno was in no condition to command troops. He was at the village and Reno did either order or ask Benteen to stay and help him saying "I've lost half my men".

I'm leaving Louisiana for Montana on the 5th and will pickup my wife at the Bozeman airport on the 10th. Depending on how it goes on my wandering trip to Montana I may go to the LBH before or after the 10th. The battle has become very interesting to me and I'll admit feeling some sympathy for Benteen.

I've wondered why Custer didn't give Benteen or Tom the hugely important attack on the south end.

I suspect he didn't like Benteen's (and my) preference for keeping the whole outfit together because of the probability of the Indians escaping to the hills.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shrapnel: Do you think Reno was drunk at the time he led the attack on the south end? Do you believe the Custer battalion would have survived had Benteen rode through Reno's defeated battalion without stopping to combine and organize them? I suspect the whole outfit would have been destroyed.

I know it is said you ride to the sound of the guns, but Benteen did "come On" and did "bring packs". And I'm sure it was obvious to him that Reno was in no condition to command troops. He was at the village and Reno did either order or ask Benteen to stay and help him saying "I've lost half my men".

I'm leaving Louisiana for Montana on the 5th and will pickup my wife at the Bozeman airport on the 10th. Depending on how it goes on my wandering trip to Montana I may go to the LBH before or after the 10th. The battle has become very interesting to me and I'll admit feeling some sympathy for Benteen.

I've wondered why Custer didn't give Benteen or Tom the hugely important attack on the south end.

I suspect he didn't like Benteen's (and my) preference for keeping the whole outfit together because of the probability of the Indians escaping to the hills.

I would consider a trip to the battlefield if I am not hunting elk.

There is too much “probability” and “maybe” to discuss on this forum. I live within 3 miles of the airport, get in touch and we could visit about it. I would discuss the aspects with you and use the proper resources to help create the best image of what really happened. It is always subjective once you look at the data and try to recreate the battle and what went wrong vs what was planned.

One thing most people don’t know is Custer wasn’t wrong in his plan to take the village, but a lot of things did go wrong and Custer gets the blame…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We were at LBH in June. The last time we were there was 1983. As an observation by an old infantryman, Last Stand Hill was a poor spot to set up a defensive position against a superior force. Too many covered approaches from the river and the north side. But perhaps that was the best they could do in the moment. The victory for the tribes hastened the end of their lives as they knew it. Probably no one would know the Custer name if he hadn’t gotten his men and himself massacred. Garry Owen!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dpg/recreation/recarea/?recid=79473&actid=119

Here’s a little history tidbit. It mentions Custer’s Snow Camp on the way to LBH.

The guy that went to the interpretive marker and read it said the snow storm was in June and snowed 6 inches. Crazy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems to be a pattern Hastings you just can't let it go and you are the one trying to to stir the pot. I guess it's from dealing with people like you. And I don't like it so I guess it found me. Why don't you let the folks enjoy the thread. I did not feel I was treated with respect, I didn't like it. I haven't seen you debate or address anything I have said. Shapnel just offered to take a fellow to the the battle field and he said there are too many probabilitys and maybe to address here. Hats of to him for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I would consider a trip to the battlefield if I am not hunting elk.

There is too much “probability” and “maybe” to discuss on this forum. I live within 3 miles of the airport, get in touch and we could visit about it. I would discuss the aspects with you and use the proper resources to help create the best image of what really happened. It is always subjective once you look at the data and try to recreate the battle and what went wrong vs what was planned.

One thing most people don’t know is Custer wasn’t wrong in his plan to take the village, but a lot of things did go wrong and Custer gets the blame…
I will be in touch.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,875
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.