Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love the easy access provided by my work shell. Options I ordered were: rear window and roof rack and ventilation hatch. I insulated the top myself.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also fabricated a mount for a backup camera that incorporated the high brake light. Looks right down on my trailer hitch ball.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with Leer on my 2018 Ram...It has been great so far.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am very happy with my A.R.E. Overland shell on my Colorado ZR2.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you get, avoid the models with the back door that is all glass. They tend to break when roughly handled or you drive over fairly rough terrain often and you will fall over when you find out what it costs to buy a new one... I've had Leer and other canopies offered to me for almost free because the back glass was broken... I turned them all down after checking replacement cost

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RIO7
Anaconda, Do you have a RSI? I have been looking for one here in S. Texas, But no luck. Rio7

Yes.
I ordered mine from Offroad Alliance.
Took about two hours to assemble and install.
I'm very happy so far

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have Leer and it's fine, but I too will not do carpet. Too many dusty environments. During installation though, do assure that a sealant strip is installed between the cap and rig. Else, water will seep in.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Caravan Camper for the win. Quite spendy but the best around. Built in Reno Nv since the 50's one at a time custom fit for your truck.

They don't leak they're completely sealed to your bed. They also have an air scoop on the top which pressurizes the shell so they don't suck in dust.

https://caravancampershells.com/

Here's mine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
They sure are nice. As I recall, Field Grade might have had that company's model on his truck.

You have a Rokon? That's so funny as I was thinking about starting a thread to see what folks think of them grin

An to the OP, thanks for calling the item in question by its proper name...............a camper shell. (it ain't a topper, or a cap)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had this ARE on my truck for 8 years and am happy with it. It has the front window fold down option and i like it. It doesn’t leak. Dust does get in it, I just hose the bed out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Years ago I bought a base model Toyota pickup that came with a well known brand fiberglass camper shell already mounted on it. I liked it well enough but I did have two complaints about it.

The first was it also had a hard shell bed liner so you had to be sure to securely tie down anything you hauled in it and especially when you haul anything of much size and weight, otherwise it slides and bangs all over against the bed and sooner or later you'll be replacing the front and/or back windows.

The second complaint was the rear glass on the truck and front glass on the camper shell caused a 'mirror' effect which made the rear-view mirror pretty much useless. Was really bad at night reflecting the lit up dashboard lights in the rear-view mirror.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have had a ARE shell on my Tundra for 10 years or so. I had the usual leaks and dust problems until I added a double bulb-seal on top of the thin flat strip along the rails. along the bottom. It was available in a 50" length on Amazon. That stopped the leaks and about 99% of the dust problems.

I will occasionally take the shell off to haul something large, and may have to replace to double bulb-seal when I do.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anaconda, Thanks for the info, No joy in Texas 2-3 months, maybe? Rio7

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Glasstite Raven just went back on the old half ton. I think Glasstite is out of business. I like having the bed mostly snow free during the cold months.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nollij
Glasstite Raven just went back on the old half ton. I think Glasstite is out of business. I like having the bed mostly snow free during the cold months.
They add some weight to the back end of a truck also. Not a bad idea where there's snow and ice.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I drive a lot for my business. Haul a lot of equipment in my pickup through mostly the winter. Have run a topper on pretty much every work truck for decades.

One topper I bought had hangers on the ceiling inside that you could hang things from. Dang handy. Rails on the top if you might be hauling gear that would fit well up there, tables, skis, poles etc.

For a while I ran a bedslide in the truck also. I found it to be pretty handy for accessing all my gear without having to climb up into the bed.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Decker system in my pickup and like it a lot, it does not capture dust so my tools stay clean, now i need a good cap, so i can haul other stuff. and keep it cleaner. Rio7

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (375TN, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 358wsm, 14 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.