Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Caribou and Grizzly hunting on the North Slope last two weeks, i shot a caribou with my G35, stood up and i went to put a finisher in. Damn gun blew up in my hand, mag releases hit my fingers, extractor blew out and the top of the magazine blew away. Got most of the feeling back in my hands now. I had to bulldog the caribou and cut his throat with my Swiss Army knife. Glad it wasn't a bear. Used a rifle on the bear. A little safer distance. I'm looking for a new pistol but i suspect with new parts, this one will shoot again.
Anyone else had this happen?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes , Glock 30 case ruptured cost mag & release

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Dennis factory ammo? Are you ok not a good thing to have happened out in the bush! Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unsupported chamber on those, correct?

Glad you’re okay. Now you have a “trophy” story to tell.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Having only a Swiss Army really adds to the level of brilliance.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Seen alot of 40 cal Glocks do that! Unsupported chamber issues!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TxJW
Seen alot of 40 cal Glocks do that! Unsupported chamber issues!

Yep.

Seen hot loads in 9mm take them apart too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My info says the newer generation 40's have a bit more chamber support, but don't have a newer one on hand to confirm.

Seen a few Gen II's let go at USPSA matches, they were repairable.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The Glock opens faster than another semi auto and the 40 S&W is loaded to about 40,000 PSI.
If the gun stayed locked a slight bit longer this would not happen. The chamber supports to the case head thicker part as is.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Was it factory ammo? Bullet setback from loading/unloading. I shoot a few glock 40s and never had an issue. Glad your ok. I would contact ammo company and Glock!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Glad to hear the op is alright. Glock kabooms happen. Unsupported chambers and all.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
While doing load development for heavy .40 loads I use a Gen 3 G22 and use a stock recoil spring guide road assembly. That said, beyond that, I run a heavier spring on a guide Wolff guide rod as it prevents the gun from unlocking early and reduces the recoil a bit making the gun shoot a bit smoother. A 20# (and heavier) as shown here is a good one and I use it in 10mm and warm .45 acp loads as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These 170 grain polymer coated SWCs at 1200 FPS work fine with a fresh RSA (recoil spring assembly) in Gen 3 and newer guns, but it never hurts to put a heavier spring in and have a few on hand, and swap them out on a semi regular basis. Springs are very cheap insurance as compared to having bad things happen such as what happened to DennisInAZ.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my Glock 20 10mm I use a 22 lb. recoil spring. The factory spring is 17 lbs. I shoot mostly Underwood 200 gr. XTP hollowpoints at 1250 fps or their 220 gr. hard cast at 1200 fps. The gun is smoother shooting with those full on 10mm loads with the heavier spring and gives 100% reliability.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MOGC
In my Glock 20 10mm I use a 22 lb. recoil spring. The factory spring is 17 lbs. I shoot mostly Underwood 200 gr. XTP hollowpoints at 1250 fps or their 220 gr. hard cast at 1200 fps. The gun is smoother shooting with those full on 10mm loads with the heavier spring and gives 100% reliability.

I do the same with my Glock 20, a 22 lb Wolff recoil spring on a Wolff steel guide rod. I have no problem with any factory loads I've ever used in it (including some .40 S&W's just for fun) or with my hot rod 180 grain loads.

Edit to add: I load new Starline brass, reload it once and let it go after that.

Last edited by cra1948; 08/30/22.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag
Good info
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Having only a Swiss Army really adds to the level of brilliance.

I hate posts like this. Someone comes here to share information that’s of interest to us all, and gets a snarky smarta$$ reply like this.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

What an azzhole

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People still believe the 40 is an high pressure cartridge. It's runs the same pressure as an 9mm NATO but the difference is expansion characteristics and it reaches "peak" pressure sooner than many other cartridgesbsuch as the 9mm. That is why folks refer to it as snappy. It simply has an more abrupt pressure curve, not higher pressure.

This isnt my opinion but rather a technical paper published on the subject

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Then couldn't that be slightly adjusted by the use of a different powder with faster or slower burn rate?

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I reached out to Sagebrush but by the time he had any, i was in Alaska and shipping is difficult. I had to make my own loads as i wanted hard cast for bears. I ran 2 full magazines through for accuracy and function testing with no issues.
I guess 15 grains of Bullseye was too much wink

I put a 20# Wolff spring in it too

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
If i could post photos i would

NRA Benefactor Member

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If this, as it seems, is mostly confined to Glock 40’s and 10mm’s, why in the world would anyone carry one? Honest question, I have no ax to grind.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple old errors came up in this thread. First, pressure is only half the equation. While the 9mm Luger and .40 S&W might generate similar pressure, by virtue of the larger case hear the .40 imparts significantly more pressure to the breech face (bolt thrust). If both cartridges generate 35,000 psi the 9mm will deliver 3,464 lbs and the .40 will deliver 4,398 lbs - a 27% increase. The .40's larger case will also generate more radial pressure and more hoop stress which can also be magnified if the larger bore is cut into a 9mm barrel.

Second, a heavier recoil spring does little to nothing to decrease unlock time and that is being generous.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
was the ruptured case still in the barrel?

I had a gen 3 Glock 19 do that it left the case in the barrel. blew the case out on the unsupported ramp on the bottom. It blew the magazine out of the pistol. It was the last round and the mag was empty. stung my hand pretty good. The other damage you reported did not happen on this Kaboom.

I think I had a double load. The ammo was gun show reloads my brother gave me. A fiend of mine thinks the pistol fired out of battery.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The old "40 caliber Glock barrels do have enough chamber support" is one of those things that had some merit many years ago but is extremely dated information.

Sadly it gets repeated by people who don't actually have any personal experience. They simply read something on the internet and repeat it. Usually the information they have read on the internet is not actual first hand information either. It is literally repeated like a parrot over and over by others until it becomes "internet fact".

It is much like the "You must be limp wristing it" phenomenon that has become that catch all response for any semi auto malfunction. People who literally could not describe the cycle of operations of a firearm if their life depends on it will gladly diagnose any issue with a firearm without any real information. If it malfunctions, then "You must be limp wristing it".

Along that same line, any time a .40 caliber Glock is brought up, it must be "poor chamber support". This is in spite of not having any verifiable information. This is the "Limp wristing of the .40 S&W" world. In spite of the fact that Glock changed the chamber dimensions more than 2 DECADES ago.

2nd Generation Glock .40s did have issues, but that was more than 20 years and over 1 MILLION .40 caliber guns ago.

Here are some pics not pulled off the web, but from my bench.

Here is a .40 cal Match grade KKM barrel. You can see the chamber support:

And here is a Gen3 Factory Glock 22 .40 barrel:

And here is a Les Baer .45 Match barrel and its "Chamber support" for comparison:

Confirmation Bias is the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Quite often they are wrong.

The punchline is that people repeat the same information and come to conclusions without verifying any facts.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Glad you are ok Dennis.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m sure the “15 grains of Bullseye” was a joke but what was the actual load?

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good friend has an early 27, and was loading his ammo with top
level loads. He blew numerous cases.

I was there for the first one, and some of the last.

First was a bit of an issue for us. Neither ever had something like that
happen. But it wasn't a big deal. On firing, it stung his hands.
Then he realized the mag had blown out.

Checked everything, nothing damaged.
Went back to shooting, different ammo.

Wasn't a predictable, repeatable thing. That gun had the chamber cut
out where the ramp feeds the round in. It left nice smileys.
Kinda guessed the ruptures were when a pressed back smiley lined
up with that spot again.

He finally gave up on loading for it. Factory ammo was never an issue.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear that Dennis is ok.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buffalo Bore used to list spring recommendations for using their 10MM 220 gr Hardcast ammo in Glocks. Changed the spring to a 22# in my Glock 20 I used to own accurate and worked well with BB 220 gr hardcast ended up selling the Glock and bought a Springfield XDM 10mm using the same load.

kk alaska

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by McInnis

I hate posts like this. Someone comes here to share information that’s of interest to us all, and gets a snarky smarta$$ reply like this.

I thought it was snarky myself however I have several Swiss army knives that have never left the house. But then I would have had a belt knife on me. The cool part it trying to kill a caribou with it. That's being snarky!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have several G23.4's that get shot a lot.

Rules for .40 Glocks:
- Gen 4.
- Factory ammo.
-"Barney" hand chamber loading.

Had a Gen 2 for a long time and never had a problem, either.

PS. .40 - is loaded to 35KPSI, just like std. pressure 9mm Para.

GR

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

What an azzhole

In short, you think he had a well laid out plan. Thanks

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Kind of like "I offered $50 to a ho in the southside of Chicago for a BJ, but when I finished I only gave her $20. I got my ass beat and was almost shot by her pimp."

McInnis be like "Thanks for the useful info, I hate that your WELL thought out plan didn't work"

The only useful info in the OP's post is that he was an ill prepared idiot.

Last edited by OlderGuy54; 08/31/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Kind of like "I offered $50 to a ho in the southside of Chicago for a BJ, but when I finished I only gave her $20. I got my ass beat and was almost shot by her pimp."

McInnis be like "Thanks for the useful info, I hate that your WELL thought out plan didn't work"
Steelhead making friends.
Lol

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Raferman

Steelhead making friends.
Lol

He ain't wrong. I know a lot here embrace stupidity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow. Because my pistol blew up i was an ill prepared idiot, just wow. How many caribou have you bulldoged and cut their throat. Maybe i should have had a 3rd gun? 2 knives?

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jmd025
I’m sure the “15 grains of Bullseye” was a joke but what was the actual load?

I don't remember the load. I'll have to check my records but it was 7+ grains of Longshot under a 180 Acme hard cast bullet

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Wow. Because my pistol blew up i was an ill prepared idiot, just wow. How many caribou have you bulldoged and cut their throat. Maybe i should have had a 3rd gun? 2 knives?

If arseholes were jets, 24HCF would be LAX

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I recall my days as PD armorer and Glock told us not to shoot cast bullets. Their rifling wasn't designed for it.
In all the years that I was there and we shot Glock 22, I never saw an issue with them. But we only shot factory ammo and jacketed bullets

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I recall my days as PD armorer and Glock told us not to shoot cast bullets. Their rifling wasn't designed for it.
In all the years that I was there and we shot Glock 22, I never saw an issue with them. But we only shot factory ammo and jacketed bullets

What is it about Glock rifling that makes it unsuited to cast bullets?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Believe Glock uses polygonal rifling.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Can you explain why polygonal rifling makes Glocks unsuitable for cast bullets?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My understanding is the recoil spring has very little to do with the timing of the slide and barrel unlocking. The bullet drags the barrel forward as it leaves the barrel and the locking lugs determine when the breech unlocks from the barrel. Slow motion video clearly shows bullets leaving the barrel before slide movement. Spring rates do more to determine how fast the slide goes forward; my experience is the rearward timing does not change much with full power loads. Full power loads just slam the slide back regardless of spring rates. I think the G20 comes with a 17lb spring, I have an STI 10mm that has a 24lb spring, a 10mm Kimber with a 18lb spring, and a DW 10mm commander that I think has an 18lb spring as well. All function, all different spring weights. And yes, different guns.

My understanding of the polygonal rifling is that it lacks the sharp edges of traditional lands and grooves and does not grab soft lead bullets well. So the bullets sort of get mushed forward leading the barrel and not spinning properly. Hard cast lead reportedly does not have that problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton

Can't speak to the 40's or the nines (had both, but no KKM barrels for either), but the KKM G30 barrel I had, had quite a bit more support than the factory barrel.

I ran light 45 Super in it with no issue.

Had a picture, but apparently tossed it.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by ldholton

Can't speak to the 40's or the nines (had both, but no KKM barrels for either), but the KKM G30 barrel I had, had quite a bit more support than the factory barrel.

I ran light 45 Super in it with no issue.

Had a picture, but apparently tossed it.

Jerry
My instance I believe was a weak case..

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
My understanding is the recoil spring has very little to do with the timing of the slide and barrel unlocking. The bullet drags the barrel forward as it leaves the barrel and the locking lugs determine when the breech unlocks from the barrel. Slow motion video clearly shows bullets leaving the barrel before slide movement. Spring rates do more to determine how fast the slide goes forward; my experience is the rearward timing does not change much with full power loads. Full power loads just slam the slide back regardless of spring rates. I think the G20 comes with a 17lb spring, I have an STI 10mm that has a 24lb spring, a 10mm Kimber with a 18lb spring, and a DW 10mm commander that I think has an 18lb spring as well. All function, all different spring weights. And yes, different guns.

My understanding of the polygonal rifling is that it lacks the sharp edges of traditional lands and grooves and does not grab soft lead bullets well. So the bullets sort of get mushed forward leading the barrel and not spinning properly. Hard cast lead reportedly does not have that problem.

I understand the logic of soft lead bullets as you have described, but in describing cast bullets I am presuming hard cast bullets. Maybe I’m off base in making this assumption? In a broad statement attributed to Glock technicians that recommends no cast bullets I would certainly presume that includes hard cast bullets. If this is so, the question of why this is a problem remains unanswered.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
the question of why this is a problem remains unanswered.

The question has been answered many times. The answer is that in worst case examples Glock barrels have opened up like a flower into multiple petals. In best case examples no problems. Murphy being what he is to assume best case is the proverbial ass of you and me. The Glock factory warning in its present form is based on bitter experience and is by no means hypothetical over-concern. It's not just worry over lawyers and lawsuits it's observed results. The internet is full of discussion some of it well informed as at Glocktalk and at Castboolits. I wasn't there but I am inclined to credit worst case reports with one magazine full of soft (swaged?) lead in a normal capacity magazine and so leading was not observed and cleaned because the shooting session was still in progress with only a few shots fired. Then again at least in normal barrels my own best tempered cast bullets with ample beeswax/alox did not build up lead in barrels with hundreds and thousands of H&G 130 bullets with 3.5 grains of bullseye in a 1911 wad gun. - smoked some though. I've never fired much lead in a Glock.

Notice that in general bullets fired in a revolver will show some distortion, sometimes called "skid marks" from already being in forward motion as the bullet enters the rifling and heavy for caliber cast bullets will show often similar distortion in semi-automatic pistols with conventional rifling.

1. Does Glock recommend against using lead bullets in its firearms?

Glock’s Response: Yes.

2. Will using lead bullets void the warranty of a Glock?

3. Does Glock differentiate between different cast bullets?

Glock’s Response: No.

That’s straightforward but it doesn’t really give us the “why."

We asked Glock for a more detailed response and its representatives were kind enough to tell us the following:

"Lead bullets have varying degrees of hardness that can lead to fouling many different types of barrels in today modern firearms. As opposed to jacketed bullets, that are designed for a more consistent spin and trajectory due to the bullets interaction with the hammer forged polygonal and octagonal barrel rifling, lead bullets have a tendency to drag through the barrel before they ‘catch’ and start their spin motion in the barrel. This single action causes lead residue buildup in the barrel if not properly cared for. Over time, this buildup of residue can reduce the bullet to barrel fit and cause extreme pressure buildup that could cause a catastrophic failure if the barrel is not properly cleaned and cared for. Following the GLOCK recommended guidelines on ammunition usage and the recommended cleaning schedule is required."

The Second Opinion
Mike McNett at DOUBLETAP Ammo loads more 10 mm than anyone on the planet. Two of his 10 mm loads, the 200-grain. WFNGC, and the 230-grain WFNGC, use lead bullets. Mike casts his own bullets to a hardness of on the 21 Brinell scale and uses gas checks. These loads are specifically made for use in Glocks and DOUBLETAP sells them as such.

Here’s Mike’s answer to he question of why his lead bullets are safe in Glocks:

“The gas check keeps the gas from going by the bullet and searing the lead into the rifling. That’s how you get into trouble with Glocks, it’s not necessarily the lead rubbing on the rifling, it is plating that nice smooth polygonal rifling with molten lead. The base of the bullet obturates, that’s where the lead liquefies a little bit and seals it. If you have a gas check, it’s just like a little jacket on the back, it seals it from doing that.”

My Experience
I have used DOUBLETAP’s lead ammo in my Glock 20 and have detected no sign of leading. I’m pretty sure that the aftermarket trigger I’m using has voided my warranty anyway, so that’s not an issue for me. I have made the decision to use certain lead bullets of known quality and hardness in my Glock as an informed professional, knowing that the manufacturer recommends against the practice. If you have any doubts, have an aftermarket barrel designed for use with lead bullets installed in your handgun.

The Ruling
Glock makes it clear that they don’t want you using lead in their guns and their reasoning will keep you out of trouble if you don’t know pure lead from linotype. Not all lead bullets are created equal. If you do make the decision to use lead in a Glock factory barrel, be sure that you use a bullet of sufficient hardness that uses a gas check. Inspect the barrel often for signs of leading and clean your barrel and chamber more often than I do.
Keith Wood writing for the NRA. Little enough respect as I have for the NRA in today's world the Dope Bag can still be a useful resource for members with specific questions.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 09/03/22. Reason: add skid marks language
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I might add that although I have no knowledge and can't speak to the Glock the 1911 is a locked breech pistol and can be safely if abusively fired with no return spring at all.

The sole Glock kaboom I have any personal knowledge of was no harm done. Reloads with no other issues in the lot. The collective best guess was that a previously guppy case - possibly multiple times guppy and resized - was work hardened and weakened and the erased guppy portion of the case happened to align just so with the feed ramp relief this time through.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 09/03/22. Reason: typo
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The issue is stripping at land engagement, posted above. Harder reduces stripping, a check reduces it even more. If the engagement strips at the base, whether you can see it on a recovered bullet, no matter how hard the bullet is, will still cause layered leading. The harder the better is always good insurance.

This is an issue not only in Glocks, but its exacerbated in a Glock due to the shallowness of the rifling and rounded nature of the leading edge. Colt rifling, though cut square, is known for pretty shallow and narrow rifling.

The diameter of the bullet also plays a role. A smaller diameter bullet has a tendency to strip engagement easier than a larger diameter due to less area that moves during the "load" and displacement of engagement. As fat as will function and chamber provides more insurance, but its a good idea to know how the bullet fits before you have problems. A lot of commercial lead bullets are sized to function in everyone's gun and generally are in nominal, smaller diameters that reflect jacketed bullet sizes. Most of the time this isn't an issue.

The rifling edge itself can create a stripping gap if its uneven in thickness. The base can be distorted by a wider rifling area, then encounter a smaller width rifling; instant gap on the bullet base. Pretty rare with modern machining, but it doesn't take much.

Its wise to stack the cards in your favor and most people don't have problems with hard cast lead in Glocks if they know what to look for beforehand and make sure lead fouling isn't an issue when shooting. The equipment today also tends to be pretty forgiving, another reason most don't see any issues.

Anyone who has seen revolver bullets and seen the "skidding" that takes place from engagement to bullet base knows what goes on.
An FYI, jacketed bullets, being harder than even the hardest cast lead, will still skid, it just doesn't create the fouling issues when it does.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
the question of why this is a problem remains unanswered.

The question has been answered many times. The answer is that in worst case examples Glock barrels have opened up like a flower into multiple petals. In best case examples no problems. Murphy being what he is to assume best case is the proverbial ass of you and me. The Glock factory warning in its present form is based on bitter experience and is by no means hypothetical over-concern. It's not just worry over lawyers and lawsuits it's observed results. The internet is full of discussion some of it well informed as at Glocktalk and at Castboolits. I wasn't there but I am inclined to credit worst case reports with one magazine full of soft (swaged?) lead in a normal capacity magazine and so leading was not observed and cleaned because the shooting session was still in progress with only a few shots fired. Then again at least in normal barrels my own best tempered cast bullets with ample beeswax/alox did not build up lead in barrels with hundreds and thousands of H&G 130 bullets with 3.5 grains of bullseye in a 1911 wad gun. - smoked some though. I've never fired much lead in a Glock.

Notice that in general bullets fired in a revolver will show some distortion, sometimes called "skid marks" from already being in forward motion as the bullet enters the rifling and heavy for caliber cast bullets will show often similar distortion in semi-automatic pistols with conventional rifling.

1. Does Glock recommend against using lead bullets in its firearms?

2. Will using lead bullets void the warranty of a Glock?

3. Does Glock differentiate between different cast bullets?

Glock’s Response: No.

That’s straightforward but it doesn’t really give us the “why."

We asked Glock for a more detailed response and its representatives were kind enough to tell us the following:

"Lead bullets have varying degrees of hardness that can lead to fouling many different types of barrels in today modern firearms. As opposed to jacketed bullets, that are designed for a more consistent spin and trajectory due to the bullets interaction with the hammer forged polygonal and octagonal barrel rifling, lead bullets have a tendency to drag through the barrel before they ‘catch’ and start their spin motion in the barrel. This single action causes lead residue buildup in the barrel if not properly cared for. Over time, this buildup of residue can reduce the bullet to barrel fit and cause extreme pressure buildup that could cause a catastrophic failure if the barrel is not properly cleaned and cared for. Following the GLOCK recommended guidelines on ammunition usage and the recommended cleaning schedule is required."

The Second Opinion
Mike McNett at DOUBLETAP Ammo loads more 10 mm than anyone on the planet. Two of his 10 mm loads, the 200-grain. WFNGC, and the 230-grain WFNGC, use lead bullets. Mike casts his own bullets to a hardness of on the 21 Brinell scale and uses gas checks. These loads are specifically made for use in Glocks and DOUBLETAP sells them as such.

Here’s Mike’s answer to he question of why his lead bullets are safe in Glocks:

“The gas check keeps the gas from going by the bullet and searing the lead into the rifling. That’s how you get into trouble with Glocks, it’s not necessarily the lead rubbing on the rifling, it is plating that nice smooth polygonal rifling with molten lead. The base of the bullet obturates, that’s where the lead liquefies a little bit and seals it. If you have a gas check, it’s just like a little jacket on the back, it seals it from doing that.”

My Experience
I have used DOUBLETAP’s lead ammo in my Glock 20 and have detected no sign of leading. I’m pretty sure that the aftermarket trigger I’m using has voided my warranty anyway, so that’s not an issue for me. I have made the decision to use certain lead bullets of known quality and hardness in my Glock as an informed professional, knowing that the manufacturer recommends against the practice. If you have any doubts, have an aftermarket barrel designed for use with lead bullets installed in your handgun.

The Ruling
Glock makes it clear that they don’t want you using lead in their guns and their reasoning will keep you out of trouble if you don’t know pure lead from linotype. Not all lead bullets are created equal. If you do make the decision to use lead in a Glock factory barrel, be sure that you use a bullet of sufficient hardness that uses a gas check. Inspect the barrel often for signs of leading and clean your barrel and chamber more often than I do.
Keith Wood writing for the NRA. Little enough respect as I have for the NRA in today's world the Dope Bag can still be a useful resource for members with specific questions.

Good post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad that you're ok and still managed to get the caribou.

My only 10mm/40 is a blackhawk. But I do have 9mm and 380 glocks, so thanks for posting.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Why did Glock select poly rifling? Is it a quicker spinner upper or something? What’s the benefit over standard tongue & groove.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I had one of the first 10 mm’s, like back in 93.

It was the middle of winter when I was going to test some loads (200 grain XTP). Colder than a bitch outside. Anyway the first shot was a click. I thought I forgot to chamber a round. I had doubled up on ear protection( plugs and muffs)., so I never heard anything suspicious.

Anyway I racked the slide and fired over a rest. At the shot, i though it recoiled a touch much. The target had an oblong hole in it. Turns out it was two bullet holes, one on top of the other.

After the snow pile had melted in the spring I found those two bullets, l kept them for years as reminder and conversation piece. So I had shot 400 grains out the barrel. The pistol was totally fine.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by viking

It was the middle of winter when I was going to test some loads (200 grain XTP). Colder than a bitch outside. Anyway the first shot was a click. I thought I forgot to chamber a round. I had doubled up on ear protection( plugs and muffs)., so I never heard anything suspicious.

Anyway I racked the slide and fired over a rest. At the shot, i though it recoiled a touch much. The target had an oblong hole in it. Turns out it was two bullet holes, one on top of the other.

After the snow pile had melted in the spring I found those two bullets, l kept them for years as reminder and conversation piece. So I had shot 400 grains out the barrel. The pistol was totally fine.

And you did not NOTICE it throwing an empty shell out???????

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking

That sounds like something I would do. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mmmm... Twice I have seen guys firing a double action revolver in PPC matches experience a squib load which only drove the bullet up into the barrel and it stuck there. Then not noticing and being focused on shooting fast double action the shooter fired another round and either stacked the bullets in the barrel or shot the first one out. I have never seen that with a semi auto. I would guess there is too much that goes wrong with an auto pistol and the gun malfunctions or the shooter notices and doesn't fire the second round.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dennis,

First off, Im glad you are ok.

2nd, 7 something grains of LS with a 180 cast lead bullet as you know is not a real high pressure load. You should have been fine. No aspersions being cast on your reloading abilities but sometimes stuff happens-I would pull remaining loads. Maybe there was a double charge?

Were your loads in new brass or previously fired?

One thing Ive done on my G20 is to go to a 6" KKM barrel. It gives me around 100-150 more fps than the factory Glock barrel depending on bullet and load. This is with factory ammo and my handloads. So without using higher pressure loads, I get more velocity which is why some guys jack up their reloads. Again, your stated load seems reasonable and Im not inferring your load was intentionally a "hot" load. Let us know if you find anything out as to what may have caused this.

Regards,

Manny

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Dennis,

First off, Im glad you are ok.

2nd, 7 something grains of LS with a 180 cast lead bullet as you know is not a real high pressure load. You should have been fine. No aspersions being cast on your reloading abilities but sometimes stuff happens-I would pull remaining loads. Maybe there was a double charge?

Were your loads in new brass or previously fired?

One thing Ive done on my G20 is to go to a 6" KKM barrel. It gives me around 100-150 more fps than the factory Glock barrel depending on bullet and load. This is with factory ammo and my handloads. So without using higher pressure loads, I get more velocity which is why some guys jack up their reloads. Again, your stated load seems reasonable and Im not inferring your load was intentionally a "hot" load. Let us know if you find anything out as to what may have caused this.

Regards,

Manny

If you are getting 100 to 150 fps more velocity in the new barrel then your loads are certainly developing more pressure in the new barrel.
No way around that

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by shootem
Why did Glock select poly rifling? Is it a quicker spinner upper or something? What’s the benefit over standard tongue & groove.

There's all kinds of various answers, but I'd suspect its easier to mass produce them the way they make barrels. A lot of European manufacturers use hammer forged, rounded land pistol barrels. Glock isn't exclusive in that regard.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot plenty of cast bullets in my M19 when I had it. They were cast out of straight wheelweights and lubed with Alox, and I cleaned it regularly. Never had an issue, and some of that ammo was loaded pretty warm. I never could warm up to the thing, though, and sold it after about six months. I liked my HiPower better. And a Tanfoglio, or anything else. I just didn't like the thing.
But it shot okay, and never caused any issues I knew of.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Following up with what Manny said,

That load does not sound hot at all. LOTS of things can happen though. Barrel obstruction, weak brass, worn spring, etc.

First I will put this out there. NOTHING below is anything negative on Dennis. Many things could have happened, and without being there to witness or gather information firsthand, anything is really just conjecture.

In doing product development and testing I will and do often test loads that are FAR beyond what I am going to offer to the public for sale. I do this to provide a margin of safety built into the ammo.

I know that while the vast majority of the people that buy my ammo are reasonably smart people and use common sense, there are always a few that fall into the other category.

I also know that for whatever reason that there are a certain percentage of gun owners and guys in general that are total cheapskates. They flat out will not do preventative maintenance on their firearms.

True high performance .40S&W loads are ones where being cheap and not pulling preventative maintenance and having fresh springs in your gun is absolutely a time bomb. It is not "If". but "When".

Below is a cut and paste from another forum and a "back and forth conversation between two individuals, one of whom has never changed his recoil spring in a reported 20,000 rounds on one .40 S&W Glock and allegedly twice as many on another .40 S&W Glock.

" By the way one of my glock 22s and my glock 23 have at least 20k on them and i wouldnt doubt the 23 has double that and the same recoil spring glock put in it at the factory is still going strong and ive NEVER had to replace a spring in a glock magazine. Ive had to fart with them in the cheap aftermarket mags but NEVER a glock factory mag. Ill add to that every mag i have in the house is stuffed full and left that way till its used and put away loaded when im done."

Xxxxx,

Empty out your Glocks, point the muzzle straight up, pull the trigger. Now holding the trigger back still, pull the slide all the way back. Now slowly ease it forward, gently. Does it close all the way? If so, you're golden. If not, if just doesn't quite lock up the recoil spring is past it's useful life. This is the correct, factory approved test.

And I can tell you, if you've got 20K + on a recoil spring you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past due for a change. Knowing you I expect you'll report perfect performance: it's all good. But at 30 or 40K on one spring you're battering the hell out of the frame.

Just FYI.

ive NEVER had to replace a spring in a glock branded mag in any of my glocks. The guns get lubed with about anything i happen to have on the shelf but mostly tetra grease or oil. only mag spring malfunctions have been with cheap aftermarket mags. By the sounds of it youve had more glock failures just in your house then ive heard of from all the glock owners i know. But you have me figured out! Im a bald faced lyre that knows little about shooting handguns Ill bow to your vastly superior knowledge. After all ive only been doing this for 50 years. Well thats a lie too. I didnt get my first glock until i was 33 so only 32 years experience with them. Im out of this one. Kind of out of placed here. Not near the experience as some and just a macho redneck that isnt afraid of the violent recoil of a 40sw

The reason I cut and pasted that, is that "Mr Orange" is absolutely an accident waiting to happen. Guns will often function with totally worn out recoil springs or other parts, though they are battering the snot out of the frame while they continue to function. But when you introduce a high performance load into the pistol, you run into major problems. Where a properly maintained pistol would function as normal, "Mr Orange's" pistol is a catastrophic problem waiting to happen.

This thought process of MR ORANGE is no different than saying. "I don't need new tires. My tires are still round, They have not popped yet. Just because they have no tread on them means nothing, don't tell me my business, I have been driving for 50 years"

Then when MR ORANGE crashes due to a tire failure, it is "All the tire's fault" and he did nothing wrong.

AKA Glocks are POS plastic guns. .40 S&W Glocks are dangerous, etc, etc. crazy

Just FYI,

On .40 S&W and 10MM I change recoil spring every 2,000 rounds, or do the spring test and if it shows signs of being weak, I pitch it. Springs super cheap. Less than $10. It is stupid not to swap them out versus risking destroying your gun.

Now, back to the topic of "Lead in Glocks". Without going into a massive writeup, there is an incredible difference between a hardcast bullet and a pure lead one. If one does not know the difference, do some research. In the last 30 years I have fired literally 100s of thousands of hard cast projectiles through Glocks. 100s of thousands. Without an issue. If you know what you are doing, it is not an issue. Plain and simple.

That is not "I read it on the internet, and so and so says".

That is 30 years of first hand experience as a USPSA competitor, government firearms instructor, LE instructor, running embassy armory programs, teaching citizens, teaching military, private contracting, and as a commercial producer of ammunition for various groups. That includes developing, testing and producing specialty ammo for organizations/groups. And now finally selling some to the public.

Prior to this last weekend I was testing some polymer coated lead semi wadcutter 170 grain ammo in .40, in a Gen 3 Glock 22. Part of the test was performance using a standard recoil spring assembly (RSA) and then heavier spring weights.

Part of the test was velocity extreme spread.

Without going into a ton of details, and I just don't have time this morning, the punchline is this. The stock RSA, with the rather hot loads ends up with very wide velocity variations. the heavier the load, with stock a stock RSA, the more inconsistent the velocity.

Using heavier recoil springs, the velocity extreme spread settled down and became very consistent.

In one of the top end loads, which I will not post the details of (AND DO NOT PM ME, I WILL NOT DISCUSS THE POWDER, CHARGE WEIGHT ETC. JUST DONT ASK.) I was running the 170 grain poly coat lead bullet consistently at 1275 FPS. This is a load that is not intended for sale and purely for testing purposes.

That said, the brass, with a heavy spring showed zero signs of extreme pressure. Primer pockets were good, brass was in excellent shape and the velocity was very consistent.

I ran around 500 rounds of heavy .40, designed for deep penetration through a stock Glock barrel and had zero issues.

I could have gone quite a bit hotter, but I was well within the margins of what I needed for my project, so there was no need. Interestingly enough, the 40 S&W 170 grain poly coat SWCs were exceeding some 10mm "name brand" ammo I have shot over the chrono, by a fair little bit.

Info gathered first hand from actually going out and getting data yourself trumps "I read it somewhere".

And here is another 20,000 rounds of .40 caliber "first hand info" getting ready to be gathered.

CHEERS ALL!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,

glad you are ok

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JWP,

You're right, I could have worded that better. Likely a tighter chamber, throat, maybe the type of rifling, and the longer barrel probably all contribute somewhat to the higher fps as compared to the Glock factory barrel.

Regards,

Manny

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Macay, Buffalo Bore recommended heavier springs in the Glock 20 in 10mm with their 220-grain cast loads and they also said shot-to-shot velocity variation went way down. Just as you experienced. My accuracy improved with the heavier spring and 220-grain cast loads. Ordered a 22# spring for my Springfied XDM 10 MM

This quote from BB that SU35 posted explains it better than I can

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...glock-10mm-with-heavy-loads#Post16891543

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/07/22.

kk alaska

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Macay, Buffalo Bore recommended heavier springs in the Glock 20 in 10mm with their 220-grain cast loads and they also said shot-to-shot velocity variation went way down. Just as you experienced. My accuracy improved with the heavier spring and 220-grain cast loads.

What the owner of Buffalo Bore experienced in his testing is pretty spot on and parallels what I have done and observed. I generally don't take anyone's word for things unless I know them personally or know their background/credentials and testing processes/procedures. That said, what the owner of BB has found in his results and loads is right in line with my own.

Your observation that accuracy also improved with the heavier spring/heavier projectile is one that I have noted as well.

I have been doing a substantial amount of testing of a heavy .40 load as of late. Using a polymer coated 170 grain SWC and have gotten some truly excellent accuracy. Traditionally .40 Glock barrels have not been noted for their stellar accuracy, but in testing I have noted that these heavy loads shoot very very well.

I will likely offer a heavy 170 grain load specifically for 3rd Gen and newer Glocks, but I may actually sell it with a guide rod and heavier spring as an added measure of safety to ensure that people are properly set up, since I have seen far too many Glocks with completely worn out RSAs, and people assume that if the gun is still functioning then it must be OK.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Guck Flock, their pisstols fit the hand like schidt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Retard alert.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Same old whine.

"I can't shoot this because it does not fit".

A competent shooter will be able to pick up a Glock, a K Frame .38, a Ruger Service 6, a Colt New Service, or a Colt 1911 and shoot them all reasonably well. Using the "it does not fit my hand, so that's why I can't hit anything" is and always has been a pretty telling sign.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

lol

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Same old whine.

"I can't shoot this because it does not fit".

A competent shooter will be able to pick up a Glock, a K Frame .38, a Ruger Service 6, a Colt New Service, or a Colt 1911 and shoot them all reasonably well. Using the "it does not fit my hand, so that's why I can't hit anything" is and always has been a pretty telling sign.
My money goes to S&W for pistols that point like a thought.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Macay, Buffalo Bore recommended heavier springs in the Glock 20 in 10mm with their 220-grain cast loads and they also said shot-to-shot velocity variation went way down. Just as you experienced. My accuracy improved with the heavier spring and 220-grain cast loads.

What the owner of Buffalo Bore experienced in his testing is pretty spot on and parallels what I have done and observed. I generally don't take anyone's word for things unless I know them personally or know their background/credentials and testing processes/procedures. That said, what the owner of BB has found in his results and loads is right in line with my own.

Your observation that accuracy also improved with the heavier spring/heavier projectile is one that I have noted as well.

I have been doing a substantial amount of testing of a heavy .40 load as of late. Using a polymer coated 170 grain SWC and have gotten some truly excellent accuracy. Traditionally .40 Glock barrels have not been noted for their stellar accuracy, but in testing I have noted that these heavy loads shoot very very well.

I will likely offer a heavy 170 grain load specifically for 3rd Gen and newer Glocks, but I may actually sell it with a guide rod and heavier spring as an added measure of safety to ensure that people are properly set up, since I have seen far too many Glocks with completely worn out RSAs, and people assume that if the gun is still functioning then it must be OK.

Mackay,

What have you seen far as bullet set back during recoil and excessive pressures? You think this might have happened with Dennis reloads? I know when I load up 10 or 40 ammo I do use a Lee factory crimp die.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Mackay,

What have you seen far as bullet set back during recoil and excessive pressures? You think this might have happened with Dennis reloads? I know when I load up 10 or 40 ammo I do use a Lee factory crimp die.

It is pure speculation without being able to observe anything. Bullet setback could be a cause. Many things can be a contributing factor to that that do not get considered too often.

Dirty dies is one thing that rarely gets discussed, but most could use maintenance. When running progressive presses and loading any decent volume they need to be maintained. Most don't do regular maintenance. Most dies contain built up crud in them and especially when using hard cast bullets with lube, the build up happens faster.

My toolheads get pulled on a regular scheduled interval and I use 99% alcohol (I buy it by the case) and a bunch of swabs to clean them to make sure they are free of buildup as it does not take much to affect the overall length. I go through a very specific cleaning routine to ensure that the machines are extremely clean.

In the case of Dillons (being the most commonly used progressive) another thing is the powder funnels in the powder station. Most use some manner of lube on cases when doing high volume, and depending on the mix, it can cause some powder buildup in the powder drop. This is one of those areas that does not get checked often enough by some folks and then they have inconsistent throws.

I have torn down a few powder stations for guys and shown the individual the blockage before. It is normally caused by the lube from the cases. Mine get cleaned constantly while loading. You will get inconsistent powder charges otherwise. For example, you may go from a standard charge of 10 grains and then the buildup starts slowly reducing charges, and you get charges of 9.7, 9.8, 9.8. 9.9, etc, then you can go one way or another. The powder may dump in a clump, and you get a 13 grain charge instead of a 10, or you get almost no powder at all.

It pays to be super diligent and have a very clean press.

My 1100 thats dedicated to heavy 9mm gets torn down to the frame on a regular basis:

All of this is to show and to say that it is very easy to have an inconsistent powder charge and not know it if you are not on top of various aspects of press maintenance.

There can be lots of reasons why Dennis' incident happened.

There may have been an unknown barrel obstruction. A piece of dirt, branch, etc. Various things.

I was at a range years back with a concrete pad and an agent dropped some factory .45 rounds from his hand. One dropped on the nose and it pushed the bullet back into the case. I saw it and picked it up. The
guy was not a "gun guy" and did not know that it was not a good idea to shoot the round. Bearing in mind it was a .45 230 grain round, it likely would have not been an issue, but the point is that lots of things can, and do happen.

That is a good example of setback and excessive pressure. In the case of .40 and 10mm, they don't really have much room for error, especially when it comes to the top end. performance rounds. Any sort of setback at all, and I would not shoot them.

Longshot, the powder Dennis was using is a very low pressure powder and is very forgiving. You can get excellent velocities and not see much in terms of pressure. It is one of the better powders out there in terms of upper end performance in semi autos. It also meters very well. Some powders don't but it is one of the better ones for precise metering. The actual intended charge weight of the load does not sound like an issue at all.

Back to the topic of the LEE crimp dies

I too use LEE crimp dies and they are great for making very consistent ammo. I use an assortment of other dies. Some may be standard Hornady or RCBS or a Wilson or Redding Micrometer, but I very much prefer the LEE for crimp dies. Especially for revolver ammo. Their roll crimp dies are the only way to go for heavy hunting ammo in revolvers.

Hope this helps.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mackay, I appreciate you sharing your expertise in building high end ammo and emphasizing the brain power needed to harness it. As well you seem to know enough about Glocks to critique when necessary. But enough pablum. I shoot primarily jacketed bullets but will most likely load some of the 170gr poly coated bullets you mention for my son. He’s in the Cali high country and does outback treks for dudes and dudesses in the summer. Should he run into a cougar or black bear looking to expand their diet the 170 SWC appears to be a good defensive bullet. Not to mention the possibility of a grizzly on summer vacation.

I load the .40 mostly with PowerPistol as close to max as I can without getting the smile. Most of my loads now are the 165gr Montana Gold HP at 1/10 gr below max. With these bullets at those specs, and the 170 SWC at velocity determined by the smile criteria would you consider a stock spring sufficient, or would you go heavier. Say, to the 20 or 22 lb. His pistol is a Gen 2 G22 and I shoot a Gen 2 G23. Thx

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
While the Gen 3 barrels definitely have updated barrel chamber support, the older Gen 2s were a bit lacking and were upgraded. It was not only the barrel but the locking block as well.

I was involved in dealing with Glock back when there was an issue with the locking blocks. I ended up discovering that the Glock 22 (1 pin) .40 cal locking blocks were rising up out of the frame and hitting the underside of the slide. During our annual inspections (I was a firearms instructor as well as armorer for an agency) I noted distinct wear patterns on the underside of the G22s. Long story short, I discovered the locking block was pivoting out of the frame and making contact with the slide.

This was doing it with enough force to cut grooves in the slide. We were looking at deadlining every single G22 issued due to this. (our agency issued both Glock .40 and .45 ACP Glocks. Fortunately the vast majority carried .45s)

The reason is, as I explained to my director is that what was happening was slowing the slide velocity down. Slide velocity is paramount to reliability. The whole reason we teach people to grip a gun tightly, don't rest the gun against barricades, etc is to provide a rock solid vice like platform for the frame, so the slide can reciprocate back and forth as it should, cycling the gun properly.

Long story short, I worked with Glock and they ended up replacing all of our Glock 22 1 pin locking block handguns with newly redesigned 2 pin locking block handguns. The 2 pin locking blocks totally eliminated the problem. They did this for free, as they did not want the publicity I suppose. I don't know if they called the newly redesigned guns an upgrade or what. I just know the old one pin .40 cal guns were a thing of the past.

I can't and won't recommend hot loads for older Gen 2 .40s as they don't have the same upgrades as the newer guns.

In your case, I would not go with a stock RSA. The heavier spring the better. A Wolff guide rod and the heaviest spring that allows the gun to cycle. 22 would be good.

Hope that helps.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Any experience with the gen 5 .40 caliber Glocks Mack?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Not yet! smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The Gen 5 9mm barrels though are quite impressive in the accuracy department. Quantifiable accuracy difference between the Gen 3 and 5s. I don't think there is a more reliable service 9mm in the world than the Gen 3 G17 in terms of an out of the box gun, but the new Gen 5 9mm guns I have shot are really, truly tack drivers.

Eventually I will grab a couple but there a few guns I need for T&E purposes that I need to pick up first, so that will have to wait until the budget allows.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Is the 2 pin block compatible with a gen 2 frame or would that upgrade require going to a gen 3 complete lower with the gen 2 barrel & slide assembly?

Also we have another G22 Gen 2 that is giving ejection problems. This pistol has been shot little, mostly because of being prone to malfunction but also because it’s just not been needed. But it apparently needs to go back to Smyrna. Since day 1 it has failed to extract on probably 40 to 50% of rounds fired. And I’m talking 4 different brands of factory loads in 180, 170, and 155 gr jacketed. Also with 165 and 150 gr handloads. It appears the extractor is jumping the rim because the round picked up from the magazine is found nose to primer with the fired case. The extractor itself appears good and spring tension on it is strong. Baffles me. And the worst rounds of all are Nosler 150 with 7.8 and 8.0 gr PP. Mostly 7.8 because the smileys go away there. Pistol jams on probably 80% of those. Could the block issue possibly cause early contact knocking the case from the extractor?

Last edited by shootem; 09/08/22.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Mackay,

It is pure speculation without being able to observe anything. Bullet setback could be a cause. Many things can be a contributing factor to that that do not get considered too often.

Dirty dies is one thing that rarely gets discussed, but most could use maintenance. When running progressive presses and loading any decent volume they need to be maintained. Most don't do regular maintenance. Most dies contain built up crud in them and especially when using hard cast bullets with lube, the build up happens faster.

My toolheads get pulled on a regular scheduled interval and I use 99% alcohol (I buy it by the case) and a bunch of swabs to clean them to make sure they are free of buildup as it does not take much to affect the overall length. I go through a very specific cleaning routine to ensure that the machines are extremely clean.

In the case of Dillons (being the most commonly used progressive) another thing is the powder funnels in the powder station. Most use some manner of lube on cases when doing high volume, and depending on the mix, it can cause some powder buildup in the powder drop. This is one of those areas that does not get checked often enough by some folks and then they have inconsistent throws.

I have torn down a few powder stations for guys and shown the individual the blockage before. It is normally caused by the lube from the cases. Mine get cleaned constantly while loading. You will get inconsistent powder charges otherwise. For example, you may go from a standard charge of 10 grains and then the buildup starts slowly reducing charges, and you get charges of 9.7, 9.8, 9.8. 9.9, etc, then you can go one way or another. The powder may dump in a clump, and you get a 13 grain charge instead of a 10, or you get almost no powder at all.

It pays to be super diligent and have a very clean press.

My 1100 thats dedicated to heavy 9mm gets torn down to the frame on a regular basis:

All of this is to show and to say that it is very easy to have an inconsistent powder charge and not know it if you are not on top of various aspects of press maintenance.

There can be lots of reasons why Dennis' incident happened.

There may have been an unknown barrel obstruction. A piece of dirt, branch, etc. Various things.

I was at a range years back with a concrete pad and an agent dropped some factory .45 rounds from his hand. One dropped on the nose and it pushed the bullet back into the case. I saw it and picked it up. The
guy was not a "gun guy" and did not know that it was not a good idea to shoot the round. Bearing in mind it was a .45 230 grain round, it likely would have not been an issue, but the point is that lots of things can, and do happen.

That is a good example of setback and excessive pressure. In the case of .40 and 10mm, they don't really have much room for error, especially when it comes to the top end. performance rounds. Any sort of setback at all, and I would not shoot them.

Longshot, the powder Dennis was using is a very low pressure powder and is very forgiving. You can get excellent velocities and not see much in terms of pressure. It is one of the better powders out there in terms of upper end performance in semi autos. It also meters very well. Some powders don't but it is one of the better ones for precise metering. The actual intended charge weight of the load does not sound like an issue at all.

Back to the topic of the LEE crimp dies

I too use LEE crimp dies and they are great for making very consistent ammo. I use an assortment of other dies. Some may be standard Hornady or RCBS or a Wilson or Redding Micrometer, but I very much prefer the LEE for crimp dies. Especially for revolver ammo. Their roll crimp dies are the only way to go for heavy hunting ammo in revolvers.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the heads up on the powder funnel on the Dillon progressives. I run a 650 and granted don’t load like you but I never bothered looking funnel tube. I will now add that to my list of things to do. Also need to clean my dies more often. Thanks again..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
79s

No worries Friend.

A lot of these things were learned the hard way and I got tired of pulling rounds apart over the years, Grin.

Dennis' topic is a good conversation to have as it brings up things that others may not be considering. I do a lot of development of loads on 550s as they are like the chevy 350 of the press world. Super easy to work on too.

On the 550/650, the powder measure assembly has the ability to pull the top, with all the powder still inside w/o spilling powder everywhere so you can access the powder funnel to clean it.

I pull mine on a regular basis, while full of powder and give the funnel a quick cleaning. It does not take 5 minutes to pull it, clean and put it back together. Then run a dozen or so charges to confirm the consistent dops and carry on.

This is an example from a quick clean.

Seating die:

In the case below, most of this debris is a combo of shaved brass and lube. It is so fine it is almost like a paste. Not really hurting anything at the point of buildup where it was but it gets cleaned anyways. It requires quite a bit more to actually change the overall length of a round, but there is no reason to let it get anywhere close to that dirty.
The shaving happens when the cases get belled/flared prior to the bullet getting seated, then when the bullet gets seated, a very tiny amount gets shaved. The less flare you have, the less shaving occurs BTW. Most will recognize this by the resistance they feel when trying to seat the bullet when a case has been flared too much.

Anyways, the micro shavings do get built up and need to get wiped out during regular maintenance.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got a Square Deal B that I have never even seen the powder funnel, guess I better pull it apart and clean things up a bit just to be on the safe side.

Good info!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dennisinaz: I worked on a large west coast first class cities Police Department for 29 years - the last nine years the department switched their 1,100 (one thousand on hundred!) officers over to Glock pistols in 40 S&W caliber.
Those 1,100 officers were required to "qualify" twice a year with said Glocks using defense type factory ammunition!
I figgered it up and that came to a total of 990,000 (nine hundred and ninety thousand!) rounds fired without a single "blow-up"!
I have NO idea why you blew up your Glock but I do know that I use all my Glock pistols with complete confidence and proficiency.
Long live Glock.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have seen Glocks let go. 1911s, Beretta M9s, M240s, M249s Colt/FN M4s, etc all of them have failures (usually ammo related (or in the case of GPMGs and LMGs firing too much ammo too quickly and overheating the weapons, which os more of an operator issue than a weapon failure as far as I am concerned) and let go at one point in time or another.

I have also seen PLENTY of AK-47s fail in spite of what the general public believes through tall tales about their reliability.

It can and does happen. Anything that is a mechanical device is subject to failure. While it is my opinion based on observation and experience that the Glocks primarily the full size Gen 3 9mm such as the G19/G17) are about the single most reliable semi auto service sidearm available, I don't think they are impervious to failure.

Even Ruger Blackhawk revolvers can and will fail from time to time. It happens.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Seems to be more 40 S&W Glocks that KaBoom than any other

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Mackey,
A little off topic, what are OEM springs in gen3 and gen4 G19s?

And, should they be replaced with rods for buffalo bore +P Outdoorsman 147gr hard cast?

Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Mackey,
A little off topic, what are OEM springs in gen3 and gen4 G19s?

And, should they be replaced with rods for buffalo bore +P Outdoorsman 147gr hard cast?

Thanks.

Gen 3 and 4 Glock 9mm springs are 17#s.

I feel like I would be out of my lane commenting on what to do for Buffalo Bore products since they are another company. It just does not seem appropriate for me to do so. I would refer to their website or call them. No doubt they will offer good advice.

I can say that for my own heavy hard cast 9mm load, it is designed to function with a fresh stock RSA, but when I intend to shoot a significant amount of them, I swap out the guide rod and put in a heavier, 20# spring. Can't hurt.

This last weekend I was carrying my heavy hardcast 9mm loads in my G19. I was up at my cabin with little minions and it is an area with plenty of predators. Wolves lions and bears. I have had more than one encounter with a lion in the area.

It is a good load for such an activity.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That’s a great pic!

Appreciate the reply and avoiding common another’s ammunition. I also appreciate your perspective if I were able to use what you manufacture.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
While doing load development for heavy .40 loads I use a Gen 3 G22 and use a stock recoil spring guide road assembly. That said, beyond that, I run a heavier spring on a guide Wolff guide rod as it prevents the gun from unlocking early and reduces the recoil a bit making the gun shoot a bit smoother. A 20# (and heavier) as shown here is a good one and I use it in 10mm and warm .45 acp loads as well.

These 170 grain polymer coated SWCs at 1200 FPS work fine with a fresh RSA (recoil spring assembly) in Gen 3 and newer guns, but it never hurts to put a heavier spring in and have a few on hand, and swap them out on a semi regular basis. Springs are very cheap insurance as compared to having bad things happen such as what happened to DennisInAZ.

tag

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"when I intend to shoot a significant amount of them, I swap out the guide rod and put in a heavier, 20# spring. "

A direct link to what to order would be much appreciated

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good to know I'm not the only one without a firm grasp on the finer points of Glock guide rods and springs wink

I just got a Timney trigger installed on a 3 rd Gen Model 23 that has mostly just sat in the safe for years. I hated the "staple gun" feeling trigger and never shot it much. I had been thinking about using it just around the property with a 3 pound trigger but after some more trigger time it might make it into the concealed carry rotation. It sure is nice being able to shoot it well now.

https://timneytriggers.com/glock/

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I was talking this over with an industry friend and when I do offer up the heavy .40 loads I may just do a package deal for 3rd Gen Glock owners and offer up the ammo, guide rod and spring all in one package. That way guys will get what they need right from the start. Plus save money on shipping costs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/ (Wolff gun springs)
has all the stuff guys need. Just go find your model gun and appropriate spring weight.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. I've had a Dillion 550 tool head set up for .40 for probably 15 years now today was the first time I used it. I have a pretty good stash of small pistol primes so it's a good time to branch out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
More on the topic of press maintenance and preventing accidents;

I was due to do some routine maintenance, so I intentionally ran an overly lubed case through the powder station multiple times after I was done loading, just so the powder funnel would collect up powder on it if it was not dirty enough to do so.

I figured it would be a good visual, as most people (like me) can learn, and retain better if there is a picture to go along with something that they have read.

This is the powder funnel from a Dillon 550 I intentionally got gummed up with powder to illustrate what can happen w/o proper maintenance:

Though this one is minor, and may or may not affect charge weights, eventually enough powder would attach itself to the powder shown clumped up, and it definitely would. That is what you are trying to avoid.

That is why I am OCD about press maintenance and having clean equipment.

It only takes a few minutes to do. Like anything semi complicated, the first few times you do it, it takes longer to accomplish, but the more you do it, the faster you get and before long you can pop off the top end of your powder station, clean your funnel, reassemble and be back in action in a matter of just minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I discovered vertical striations had developed on the power funnel for .45 ACP. I guess dirty cases at some point caused that... It was really causing a bunch of resistance when lowering the handle. A friend suggested using a kitchen Scotch Bright pad to polish it. I had no idea they were abrasive enough to work metal but it did the trick in no time.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The green ones for pots/pans are pretty aggressive. Don’t use them on your windshield to clean off bugs.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll make a note not to do that....

Speaking of maintaining stuff I'm generally not very good at it... anything that involves moving parts generally give me heartburn trying to figure out why the parts don't move like they were designed to.

I bought this Dillion 550 in 1990 IIRC. Bought a bunch of tool heads and filled them all up with plans to shoot way more. The press seemed like it was a car that is out of alinement though. The settings seemed to change the primer feed system never ran smooth. I called Dillion a few times and they would send out parts for free but I just never seemed to get the bugs worked out so it mostly gathered dust while I ran a single stage press again.

Then the pandemic hit and I had time and components on hand. I called Dillion back and got a return authorization. They upgraded it at no charge to the version with a grease fitting and sent it back running fine. No note explaining the causes of my grief but it runs now.

I wish I'd done that a long time ago but if I had I'd probably not have this size supply of components to play with. I'm working on sorting stuff out but so far I'm not finding 500 or so pounds of old wheel weight ingots I melted down close to 30 years ago.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by shootem
Is the 2 pin block compatible with a gen 2 frame or would that upgrade require going to a gen 3 complete lower with the gen 2 barrel & slide assembly?

Also we have another G22 Gen 2 that is giving ejection problems. This pistol has been shot little, mostly because of being prone to malfunction but also because it’s just not been needed. But it apparently needs to go back to Smyrna. Since day 1 it has failed to extract on probably 40 to 50% of rounds fired. And I’m talking 4 different brands of factory loads in 180, 170, and 155 gr jacketed. Also with 165 and 150 gr handloads. It appears the extractor is jumping the rim because the round picked up from the magazine is found nose to primer with the fired case. The extractor itself appears good and spring tension on it is strong. Baffles me. And the worst rounds of all are Nosler 150 with 7.8 and 8.0 gr PP. Mostly 7.8 because the smileys go away there. Pistol jams on probably 80% of those. Could the block issue possibly cause early contact knocking the case from the extractor?

Shootem

I missed your post, and just now saw this.

The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered by myself and another armorer who if I recall right was working for the Illinois state Police. I was not actually aware of his work and he was not aware of mine at the time as I was dealing directly with my regional Glock rep.

Glock had 2 major reps at the time. One for the western U.S., and one for the eastern half. I was dealing with the western rep. Super nice guy btw. They had to have known there was an issue maybe shortly beforehand, as the redesign happened fairly quick and the re-issue for all of our .40 caliber guns for my agency went fairly smoothly. I don't have any proof, only my personal thoughts, but I think they really wanted to keep the lid on the issue as there were a lot of 1 pin locking block .40s in circulation with LE agencies, and they did not want a major agency like mine putting out any bulletins. This is pure speculation on my part. The fact is that they were very quick to redesign the guns with a new 2 pin locking block and not charge us for the new guns. It was kept quiet. Simply considered good customer service as far as they were concerned, and they were extremely tight lipped. Not a single word was ever mentioned that there was ever a problem. Then guns were simply replaced with brand new ones. From a corporate standpoint, I understand that they were protecting themselves. The head of my agency was happy. I discovered the problem and resolved the problem and did not cost the agency or the taxpayers anything so the pressure was off me (which was not insignificant).

It should be noted that the issue was with .40s, not 9mms. A 1 pin locking block 9mm Glock such as the old Gen 1 and Gen 2 9mms will run and run and run, with zero issue. But when they redesigned the frame, it made sense to simply standardize on 2 pin blocks.

To answer your question, no a 2 pin locking block is not compatible with a Gen 2 Glock. It cannot be retrofitted. You may be able to buy a barrel with tighter tolerances but there is nothing you can do about the locking block situation, and I would NEVER advise to run hot loads out of a Gen 2 .40 Glock.

As far as the ejector goes, that requires the whole factory trigger housing to be replaced as the ejector is part of the unit. You can look online and see what the latest specs or recommendations are for a G22 and a Gen 2 gun.

Personally I would trade it in on one of the Gen 5s that are now available. Nothing but good things have been said about them.

Hope this helps.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you. Very enlightening to say the least. Reason for part of the questions is my recent experience with Glock CS. It went well with no complaints but this thread raised those questions. My 1992 Gen 2 23 was at Smyrna for a different issue. When returned it had pretty much been rebuilt including a Gen 3 frame. About all that was left original was the barrel, slide, and bolt assembly. I called to confirm the reason and was told it had a cracked frame and the remaining parts were current version upgrades Cracked frame was news to me. Reading all the posted comments made me think this was possibly a CYA maneuver. Can’t fault the decision at all if that was the case, and after reading of your troubleshooting.

The ejector deal on the gen2 22 will be a go back too. We’ll see if it has a cracked frame.

Edit: there is one thing regrettable about the frame upgrade. The gen3 finger grooves are terrible. I whacked the top ridge off with a pruning saw then worked it down with a file till satisfied. New, I could not get a good purchase on the thing. Removing the top ridge at least made room for my middle finger against the trigger guard. Still may chop the next one down too.

Last edited by shootem; 09/18/22.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Their response stating that they replaced the frame due to it being cracked seems like a well crafted corporate answer, designed to protect themselves. I can understand that. With that said, the fact is that they are taking back a product and replacing a frame that is likely 30 years old at their expense. Not many commercial companies would be willing to do that, especially considering it could have been owned by multiple people and who knows what it's service life has been.

It is hard to complain about their customer service as I have found Glock to be an outstanding company when it comes to how they treat people. I understand about the finger grooves. For some the work, and others they don't but it is not a hard fix and there are a bunch of tutorials online about how to eliminate/modify them to a person's liking. I smoothed the finger grooves down on my old G19.3 years ago and while it may not look perfect it is certainly functional, which is what I care about, as I view them as a very high quality practical tool.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered ..."

I just invested in a Timney trigger and Milt Sparks holster for a Gen 3 .40 Glock that had just been sitting in the safe for a long time. How do I tell if the one I have and finally like now has the up grade?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
"The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered ..."

I just invested in a Timney trigger and Milt Sparks holster for a Gen 3 .40 Glock that had just been sitting in the safe for a long time. How do I tell if the one I have and finally like now has the up grade?

Gen 5 deleted the locking block pin. I have read it was to accommodate the ambi mag release.

For models that have one, the locking block pin is located directly above the trigger pin.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Their response stating that they replaced the frame due to it being cracked seems like a well crafted corporate answer, designed to protect themselves. I can understand that. With that said, the fact is that they are taking back a product and replacing a frame that is likely 30 years old at their expense. Not many commercial companies would be willing to do that, especially considering it could have been owned by multiple people and who knows what it's service life has been.

It is hard to complain about their customer service as I have found Glock to be an outstanding company when it comes to how they treat people. I understand about the finger grooves. For some the work, and others they don't but it is not a hard fix and there are a bunch of tutorials online about how to eliminate/modify them to a person's liking. I smoothed the finger grooves down on my old G19.3 years ago and while it may not look perfect it is certainly functional, which is what I care about, as I view them as a very high quality practical tool.

Agreed on CS. Can’t complain when they stand behind their product to that degree. The trigger definitely has a better feel than the old one. And working down the finger grooves is fairly easy. Already spoke to them about the G22 and they sent me a couple of new spring assemblies to try. Told the guy I would be surprised if that helped but he wanted to do that first. So 2 freebies came and sure enough didn’t help.

Glock service is to be admired. Beretta could get a clue from them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I put a timney in my G45, very nice improvement. I see Johnny Glock has an improvement trigger out for it already. It supposed to fix timney’s reset. But I can’t justify spending another $100 for it.
I all so put a timney in my S&W M&P 2.0 and that one feels better than the Glock version.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had thought getting the Timney trigger might make it to light for concealed carry. I have only had it for about a week now with less than 100 rounds fired. Both my wife and I shot it so much better that I spent the money for a Milt Sparks Summer special II holster for it.

I can maybe see it making it into the self defense carry rotation... I need to shoot it a bunch more to decide. FYI Midway has .40 165 jacketed blem bullets on sale for 11 Cents each. I bought a bunch of them.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

You're lucky to be living where you are. Cracked frame on the plastic lugs where the slide hits on my Gen 2 Glock 23 frame and I can't even get the Canadian Glock Rep to even respond in a timely fashion to my concern about shooting it - let alone offer to inspect it. I've since sent pictures but still no reply so I guess I'm SOL. All this after <5000 rounds.

Glock Warranty Service is S*** up here in Canada. My next new pistol (if there is a next time given our laws) will NOT be a
Glock - Fug em.

Maybe they're OK for the 9mm but the 40 cal is too much.

Signed - Ex Glock Fan

Last edited by PSE; 09/19/22. Reason: Accuracy
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock, like other manufactures primary goal is to make a profit, not to make guns. When you have Communist leaders like Trudeau banning the import of handguns into the country, like he just did last month then there is no reason for a company to stay there. It is a lost cause. I can't blame Glock if they pulled out their reps and told them to go home or whatever the case may be.

I don't think I would be angry at Glock as much as I would be angry at the Canadian Government that has created the situation that is forcing gun companies to leave and/or shut down operations.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yeah right - the government is the reason why Glock Warranty should not even bother to reply to their customers when they have an issue.

Sounds like a classic case of deflection to me. California has weird gun laws too - I guess Glock shouldn't bother to address their concerns either. Give your head a shake!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
PSE, Glock warranties their pistols for 1 year after purchase.
Your pistol could be pushing 30 years old.
Try a Gen5 if you have the opportunity. I think you will be impressed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I neither work for, nor represent the company.

If you have a problem with Glock then deal with them like a grownup. If you interact with the rep like you do here in this thread, it is no wonder why the rep wants nothing to do with you.

I find it amusing that you talk about how horrible Glock service is when they are known worldwide for their exceptional service.

Perhaps the problem is not with Glock.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pretty hard to interact with them when they don't even want to reply to your emails. Over 3 weeks now and still waiting. The U.S. rep was much better but he can't do anything for me as I don't reside in the U.S. I have done nothing but try to deal with them in a grownup fashion but when you can't even get a response.

I think many of you would feel the same way if the company was treating you in the same fashion.

It seems that Glock has decided that since they can't make money up here anymore their customers can go to hell.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since it's a Canadian rep, maybe it's a Canadian thing...

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TWR
Since it's a Canadian rep, maybe it's a Canadian thing...

Probably you're right - The American rep seemed to think it was no problem to at least look at it. Customer Service goes where the market is I guess.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shot a couple glocks. Never owned one. Heard of a couple that had blow outs from case rupture in the unsupported spot at the rear of the case. Have seen the bulge on many 40 s&w empties . No thanks I'll stick with my cz 40"s. Excellent tutorial Mackay.

If I ever get to Alaska for caribou I'll use a rifle not even a plastic pistol for back up I'll take s SW revolver.

Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have shot a fair amount of .40 S&W rounds, mostly my reloads. I shoot a Beretta 96, Browning Hi-Power and a Sig-Sauer 1911 Match Elite. I like a very hard 170 gr TC bullet at near 1200 fps. The powder charge is weighed and the velocity chronographed.
I was shooting with a fairly well known gun writer whom I have never seen post anywhere.
On one shot I sent brass down the magazine well of the Beretta. Stung a bit and surprising. Several rounds later, the same thing. We looked everything over and I told him my load data. He didn't think it was too hot but I did blow two out. Some of the brass had a tell tale swelling at the base. The brass was once fired PMC. The aforementioned writer advised me against reloading PMC brass in higher pressure rounds for use in guns without full chamber support.
I cut a Remington case longitudinally mouth to base through the center and a PMC case the same.Inside the Remington case where the the shell wall transitions to the base there is a fillet radius which adds some thickness to the case. The PMC brass wall was straight down with a 90 degree angle to the base, no web at all. Probably a weaker design.
I pulled all 1000 or so rounds and donated the PMC brass to the local range, reloaded all components into other brands of brass and have had no repeat ruptures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

LOL.

Sorry you had an issue.

That said was the Swiss Army knife your go to for dressing the caribou?

Good on you for getting the deed done but when you get down to a SA knife fight it might be time to rethink your loadout.

Just Sayin and 10mm G20 is best Glock. grin

Last edited by JohnBurns; 09/21/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mackay, maybe my usual confusion, but aren't there 2 & 3 pin Glock Gen 2 40's? And if a 3 pin, does that solve the problem of shooting heavier loads in a Gen 2?

I ask as I have some of those., thinking the 3 pin was OK?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
There were some transitional guns.

Just like S&W you literally cannot say "never" as you will be proven wrong. In fact most don't know this but Glock actually did produce some full size guns with thumb safeties for overseas contracts. There were also some transitional models that had all the upgrades, but no rail, and some with a rail but were missing some upgrades.

So in short, yes you can run into a very small number of transitional guns with features as you describe, but they are the exception rather than the rule. As to your question of solving the problem, the locking block was only one issue on the Gen2 .40s. The barrels were still lacking in support that would come with later redesign/upgrades. It has been far too many years for me to remember when the various upgrades happened, but the safe rule of thumb is to simply not shoot anything but standard pressure loads in a Gen2 .40

Cheers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a long time since I loaded for a G22, but I had no troubles with it. It wasn't accurate enough to suit me but it ran 100%.

What I DO recall about the .40 is that if the bullet sets back in feeding, pressure goes up rapidly, and it does not take a lot of setback to cause significant pressure rise.

Dave Scovil of Handloader discussed this topic, and while he was interested in the accuracy of .45 Colt loads, the same lesson applies I think to autoloaders. You want a tight fit of bullet to case, and the expander plug should be at least .005" smaller than the bullet diameter, AND firmly taper crimp. When you are done, you should be able to press the cartridge firmly against a solid object, bullet first, and the cartridge OAL should not change more than a couple thousandths.

Possibly the OP had some setback, combined with less than optimum cases, and less than optimum case support.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It's been a long time since I loaded for a G22, but I had no troubles with it. It wasn't accurate enough to suit me but it ran 100%.

What I DO recall about the .40 is that if the bullet sets back in feeding, pressure goes up rapidly, and it does not take a lot of setback to cause significant pressure rise.

Dave Scovil of Handloader discussed this topic, and while he was interested in the accuracy of .45 Colt loads, the same lesson applies I think to autoloaders. You want a tight fit of bullet to case, and the expander plug should be at least .005" smaller than the bullet diameter, AND firmly taper crimp. When you are done, you should be able to press the cartridge firmly against a solid object, bullet first, and the cartridge OAL should not change more than a couple thousandths.

Possibly the OP had some setback, combined with less than optimum cases, and less than optimum case support.

A lot of things are "possible".

Working with facts and not possible/guesses is how you make improvements or reduce risks.

Every cartridge will have internal pressure rise when there is bullet setback and reduced internal capacity. That is not exclusive to .40 S&W or any other cartridge.

Going back to square one, loading wise, as mentioned earlier in the thread and inspecting your reloading procedure and equipment is generally a good starting point. Making sure the rounds are being produced with clean equipment is part of that procedure. Inspecting the firearm and brass may tell you other things.

The fact is that unless a person has the actual firearm as well as the brass at hand, trying to determine a cause as to why what happened, happened, it is pointless, and people are just making unsubstantiated guesses. Usually those are based off of "I read this".

I have read a fair number of articles by guys in magazines/online articles and I will say that a substantial amount of them are either completely making crap up, or they are cut and pasting their "expertise" from somewhere else and a good bit of it is simply wrong. That information then gets repeated on online forums. "Joe gunwriter says that .44 Magnums are not lethal past 75 yards, and you can't hit anything with a handgun at 100 yards".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of things are "possible".

Working with facts and not possible/guesses is how you make improvements or reduce risks.

Every cartridge will have internal pressure rise when there is bullet setback and reduced internal capacity. That is not exclusive to .40 S&W or any other cartridge.

Going back to square one, loading wise, as mentioned earlier in the thread and inspecting your reloading procedure and equipment is generally a good starting point. Making sure the rounds are being produced with clean equipment is part of that procedure. Inspecting the firearm and brass may tell you other things.

The fact is that unless a person has the actual firearm as well as the brass at hand, trying to determine a cause as to why what happened, happened, it is pointless, and people are just making unsubstantiated guesses. Usually those are based off of "I read this".

I have read a fair number of articles by guys in magazines/online articles and I will say that a substantial amount of them are either completely making crap up, or they are cut and pasting their "expertise" from somewhere else and a good bit of it is simply wrong. That information then gets repeated on online forums. "Joe gunwriter says that .44 Magnums are not lethal past 75 yards, and you can't hit anything with a handgun at 100 yards".

Agreed 100% - one point about setback is, it should be fairly consistent in a given batch of loads. If the OP still has some of the loads in question, they can be checked for setback, just cycling through the action without firing.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't been on this thread for a while. I see there have been many attempts to find cause based on any number of reasons. A few comments if I may. I worked for a large police department for over 20 years. I was factory trained Glock armored. I have fired over 30,000 rounds thru Glock pistols. I've never seen a situation like mine before either.
My loads were with virgin factory primed Federal cases. I weighed EVERY charge on my very accurate digital scale (.01 grain accuracy). I used coated bullets that were designed for this use. There was/is no leading in the barrel. I loaded enough to test fire 3 full magazines and a 100 rounds for my use. I had not fired a single loaded round since this initial testing back in April. The gun let go on the second round from this magazine. I had a 20 pound Wolff spring in it. On closer inspection the frame is cracked from the mag release through the trigger guard. I'll send it back to Glock for a new frame. I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe all my loads were too hot and this was inevitable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The only useful info in the OP's post is that he was an ill prepared idiot.
STFU for once in your useless life. You offer nothing to this forum

Last edited by gunchamp; 10/05/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’m just glad you weren’t eyeballing a Griz at the time😊

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.