Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 1,842 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave ya hear the tale of Sherpa Kurt one of our boys from Deer camp, well let me tell ya about.

This is at the North Dakota Camp opened a week after the Minnesota side of the river.

Well our boy Sherpa Kurt went out and actually got himself his own rifle for once, a old Moisin Nagant with the bayonet attached, yeah I know the boy ain't right all the time.

Anywho, the 2nd day of the opener the Jagermeister of the clan had popped a doe and she did a "WTF" did she go routine on us, now this is on the red river in long stretch of woods, tracked her around anfd about for close to an 1.5 hours, figured let her lay and we'll pick her up later once she settles down.

Later in the afternoon myself, Gaviidae_Esq, our big boy from the metro Peaches, and Sherpa Kurt are all out for th eevening sit down. Sherpa Kurt decides to track down this doe, ok then, after a while we hear bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, and a few more bangs, all spaced a minute or so apart. I says to myself "Drift ya better check on dat boy". So off I go and find him down towards the old farmhouse wandering around, long story short he jumped the doe and proceeded to attempt to terminate her existence with predjudice further complicating the matter, so I take up the blood trail and we follow her about 100 yards into a cockleburr stand. She stands up and before I can say or do anything he pops another one at her she falls down and I tell him to go finish her off up close. BAD CHOICE OF WORDS>>>>

So he does what he does and deploys the bayonet (kid you not) and proceeds to assault thru the cockleburrs and bayonets the doe. Along comes GE and Peaches asking "WTF" is going on I tell them he is on their watch now and return to the truck for a couple ponys prior to going home.

Now this is a precurser to the Sherpa Kurt tales they are as follows;

Sherpa Kurt, a cadillac, and the big buck
Sherpa Kurt, the Samurai and the deer that does not die
Sherpa Kurt and the Dryer
Sherpa Kurt and the left turn (Pheasant hunt story)
Sherpa Kurt He's Charging (a tale of SK and the skunk)
Sherpa Kurt and Peaches Lap

and many many more;

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh too funny.

with a name like Sherpa Kurt... oh good lord.

sounds like a good bunch.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ok I'll bite. Lets here about Sherpa Kurt, a Cadiliac, and the big truck.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh yes, the continuing tales and saga that is Sherpa Kurt is one of our favorite deer camp past times.

The battle of the best tasting Tiger Meat, the deer stand known as Cranberry Fields, the food, the ponys, the termination of the pestilence known as Whitetail Deer, I need time to go faster.

OH DEER CAMP WHERE ART THOU....

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
misery loves company, you are not alone.

"the morlean diggler" (a famous knife)

"the cow foot bottle"

"the shame stick"

"the blaze orange sombrero"

Something clever here.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well Sherpa Kurt was at deer camp oh back about 2003 the year of the deep freeze opener.

Any way the hunt was over early and Sherpa Kurts family ran a limo service so he had to get back and take care of some runs.

Well SK is a scrounger, dogrobber, pack rat type of guy. He found this old cadillac sitting in some farmers barn and I mean old cadillac but in great shape and it could really move. So after spending time at the Tequila Bar all night and then deer hunting all day he heads home to Bemidji from Fargo.

South Detroit Lakes there is a shortcut that comes out eat of Park Rapids called the two inlets road. He decides to take it.

Sherpa Kurt being who he is decides to get home fast and lays the hammer down on this tank of a cadillac. He gets past the town Two Inlets town and just about to the highway when wham he slams into a deer...well it turns out this deer was the biggest buck this boy had ever seen 12 points and massive. So being Kurt with a smashed up car and a great trophy he decides to leave the body and takes the head. He cuts it off and to keep blood off the seats begins to limp the car into town with the head tied to the grill. From there this boy had cars laying on the breaks and folks staring as he was only able to go about 5 miles per hour.

I believe he made it as far as Lake George before the car died.

He calls a buddy of his who happens to have a tow truck and comes to pick him up. They hook up the car and the buddy sees the rack, they then decide to go back and pick up the deer also. So back to the deer they go towing the car, they decide to take the deer and make burger or jerkey out of it. One problem SK doesn't want to get blood all over so they park the car and load the deer up the tow hoist, the head is then tied on tho the tow grill and off they go to town.

The long and short is the Car is hit later that night by another car, the DNR is knocking on his door asking about the deer, the cops are knocking on his door asking why he did not report the accident, and his cadillac is totaled.

To this day all he says is that dang sure was a big buck...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sherpa Kurt!!! smile

I know that stretch Drift, I clipped off a half dozen mailboxes with a 76 cordoba along that stretch in the late 80's.... ahh, good times, goood times.

passing on the right in a snowstorm.... I was a real sharp kid.

bacardi & tequilla should not be drank from the same bottle.

later dudes.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well....did he get to keep the buck.?

There is always one guy in camp that this stuff happens to. and if you can't figure out who it is.... ITS YOU or SK in this case smile

Last edited by tzone; 10/23/07.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Sherpa Kurt!!! smile

I know that stretch Drift, I clipped off a half dozen mailboxes with a 76 cordoba along that stretch in the late 80's.... ahh, good times, goood times.

passing on the right in a snowstorm.... I was a real sharp kid.

bacardi & tequilla should not be drank from the same bottle. grin grin grin

later dudes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is the stuff that follows him around everywhere we go, at Moose camp this fall he was supposed to go with and Peaches was trying to figure out how to hang form the meat pole so he did not get into trouble.

The tales of SK are legendary and are better every year, the time he wanted to buy a missle silo in the Dakotas and a submarine for lake bemidji to make into homes. His lost indian treasure scheme down around Bowman ND. They go on and on.

But he is one of the guys every deer camp should have, loyal to a fault, strong as a bull, a jack of all trades master of none, now if we can just stop his dreams of Gaviidaes sister it should be all good...

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
OMG! You guys have turned a pretty crappy miserable day here at work into something...well not quite so crappy and miserable! YES I AM STILL AT WORK! Inventory time SUCKS Moose Nards!
I have been sitting here waiting for my work related computer stuff to come back up reading this and laughing my A$$ off!! Thanks!

heh heh the world wouldn't go round without Sherpa Kurts!

I don't have too many good deer camp stories. Most of the guys in our old party were gettin on in years. Many great laughs but all in all pretty uneventful. Party is dried up now due to uncles getting older etc.
Now I do have a good story that I will steal from a buddy of mine because I think its worth sharing with you deer crazy lunatics. smile

This buddy of mine is a few years younger and some of his old classmates and him leased some hunting land by Bemidji. The area is dense forest and swamp land bordered by state land. They all built big fancy stands and cut shooting lanes for the rifle season. Well they are up there for a few days and don't even see a deer so one day one of the guys takes a case of beer with him to the stand to fight the boredom. One of the more dedicated hunters was always watching his shooting lane with binoculars every few minutes so this guy who was drinking beer decides to pull a prank on him. He walks to the edge of the shooting lane about 150 yards out, strips down to nothing but his orange hat and boots. He waited until the guy raised his binoculars and slowly walked out and across the shooting lane butt naked with his face turned away. The other guys all of a sudden get a call on the two way radio's saying "uh.....guys.....I'm heading back to camp" They said "why?" He said "I think I have been out here too long...I just seen a f**kin naked hunter walk through my shooting lane"
That night they went to the bar and this guy is telling all the locals to watch out for the naked hunter who is roaming the woods. The other guys were about busting a gut. Then this same guy who stripped down in the woods goes outside and comes walking back into the bar wearing nothing but his orange hat and boots and his sweat sock covering his purple headed yogurt slinger! The whole bar erupted in laughter! You have to hear my buddy tell the story. It's hilarious when you get the expressions with it!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
good stuff indeed!!

Well, just got off the phone with one of our new hunting party members , (we're all new to the party, even me)

My uncle attended "the boy's" highschool football game tonight & they won (which I understand is an understatement) they won like heck.

So.. they progress in the playoffs!! Wooooo!

Way to go boy!!

They have a game on saturday night which will alter some deer stand building plans we have (alter, not cancel) We'll get the stands out that need to be out, shouldn't be a problem. I'm considering taking the weekend off from hunting shack chores & taking in a football game saturday night.

Heck I need to get down that way to pick up some lumber & do some overdue visiting now that I think of it anyways.

maybe I'll take a day off next week to finish up some of the final "chores" out at the shack.

Dave

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sometime I'd like to have a beer with you and SK. Me thinks trouble would arise.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think I'll take a day off next week too. Like Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday of the next week. That should calm my nerves a little

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that sounds like a good plan tom.

I'm feelin like I should be out at the shack right now spraying the oil stain on the siding. Who knows, maybe tomorrow?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What did you decide for a stain? Just oil, is it tinted at all?

I'm going to try to sneak out of here a 2pm for a little sit in the bow stand. I have to get my earn-a-buck sticker for the upcomming gun season here.

I shot a doe on saturday. Shot under the heart/lung area and hit her in the leg. Had no blood for about 30-35 yds, then very sporadic after that. I tracked her for about 200 yds after a 45 min wait and jumped her just before dark. I backed out and waited until morning. I went in a 8am and found it about 150-200 yds from where I stopped on saturday night. However, Mr. Wiel E. Coyote beat me to the punch. One side and the hind quaters were gone already. There was not much to salvage. It looks like mr. tzone will have to buy a coyote call and give it a wistle this winter. I knew they were around, but not that close.

Tom

Last edited by tzone; 10/24/07.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I didn't know it at the time but now that I look at the 2 5 gallon cans I bought they say "cedar" so I guess it's a tinted oil, which is cool I guess.

kind of ancious to see how it's going to look.

damn coyotes.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What did you get for "oil"?? If it is the "Penofin" and it is the Cedar color, there is very little actual coloring in it.

Also, if you did get the Penofin, the easiest way to do your shack would be cover the windows and get a weed sprayer and spray it on. MAKE SURE you cover the windows. BTDT and the Penofin doesn't wash off easy.

Last edited by JRowan; 10/24/07.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
no, I had already purchased the oil by the time I got your tip on the penofin... I'll have to see if I can find the brand name of that I got..

I found it, here's what I got:

http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/Exterior/FinishersForExteriorWood/CWF-UV+Product+Page.htm

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cedar color and T-111 siding just seem like they should go together anyway.

I'm guessing you will have to apply probably 2 more coats after the initial on soak in. My pa painted his shop this summer and now it looks like a light coat of primer. it really sucked it up.

Page 16 of 1,842 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.