Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a relatively new collector, or accumulator, compared to many here. When I started, really good standard Savages could be had for $300-500. When you saw one for $1600 you were looking at something very special. Supply was steady, condition was available if you wanted the best and were diligent. Now Savages selling for thousands aren't uncommon. Now a private seller can't ship a firearm or even firearm parts thru UPS.

What's the next big change you see coming?

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, at least they won't be able to break any more of your guns.

laugh

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Well, at least they won't be able to break any more of your guns.

laugh

I'd like to sell about 40, but am afraid to ship them for fear of damage and the subsequent denied claim, and now am unable to privately ship them.

When are conservatives going to wake up and realize we have been declared war on by an illegitimate government?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Send them to auction. Let them deal with the hassles. Small price to pay.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is really just a smoke screen by UPS to get the government and the broken gun claims off their back.

They will still ship anything you bring them, however, now the risk is on the shipper. You don't have to tell them what it is, or you can just make something up. Golf clubs or baseball bats comes to mind. It's not illegal to break their policy. The UPS police aren't going to kick your door down and drag you off to UPS prison.

Just sayin...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I suspect the almighty dollar will do a number in disbanding the Savage fraternity on this board. “We are but temporary caretakers.” and “I want my guns to be with somebody who doesn’t think the best guns are made of black plastic.” All that stuff goes out the window when the scent of cash is in the air. Folks are less interested in making sure their accumulation stays with Savage loyalists when the return on investment is 3:1. Many will puff their chest and say “Not me! I have enough money and when I die I won’t need more!” Yeah, ok. It is what it is.

This isn’t an attack on Roy. I like Roy because his stripes are visible whether you like them or not. Just making conversation.

Jake

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People paying big money for these guns are Savage guys. Who else would pay those prices? So I don't see how anything goes out the window...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
OK, UPS is not the only shipper in town. I used USPS for my first shipment years ago. Insurance was sky high so I discovered FedEx Ground and never looked back.

Create an account with FedEx and do your shipping online. Print the label and drop off the box at a Fedex location. Done.

I've had 2 claims with FedEx. I got paid on both. One was straightforward and the other took calls to the FedEx president's office.

The last few guns I shipped were enclosed in a frame I made from 1X4 boards and put them in a cardboard box. Nothing got broke or bent.

Face it, we are becoming a shrinking community of 2nd amendment supporters and the far left would seize our guns in a heartbeat if they could. Hold 'em tight!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 513JAKE
I suspect the almighty dollar will do a number in disbanding the Savage fraternity on this board. “We are but temporary caretakers.” and “I want my guns to be with somebody who doesn’t think the best guns are made of black plastic.” All that stuff goes out the window when the scent of cash is in the air. Folks are less interested in making sure their accumulation stays with Savage loyalists when the return on investment is 3:1. Many will puff their chest and say “Not me! I have enough money and when I die I won’t need more!” Yeah, ok. It is what it is.

This isn’t an attack on Roy. I like Roy because his stripes are visible whether you like them or not. Just making conversation.

Jake

If you read the tea leaves and realize your Apple stocks are going to take a huge hit because the government is openly (and successfully) coming after Apple trying to put them out of business, would you bullishly hang onto Apple or would you sell? Many factors, including a hostile government, are currently in play when it comes to firearms collections.

I collected many nice firearms, most are really nice examples, which are preserved for the next generation of collectors. I'm thinking now may be the time to pass them on. Life changes,I only need a few to hunt with.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
“Send them to auction” doesn’t have the same romanticism as the Priory of Sion’s mission. But as previously mentioned, plenty will see things differently than me. I can live with that.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
This is really just a smoke screen by UPS to get the government and the broken gun claims off their back.

I believe UPS hired a third party to handle claims, no doubt on a percentage basis, which blanket denied most or all claims. Fighting them consisted of email format communication until such a time they simply quit replying, leaving the claimant in a lurch. It's criminal and they should be sued for fraud and racketeering. I haven't heard anything about the government being involved with UPS damage claims.

They will still ship anything you bring them, however, now the risk is on the shipper.

When they blanket deny most or all damaged firearms claims, you realize real quickly they never intended to honor the "insurance" they sold you. It is fraud plain and simple.

You don't have to tell them what it is, or you can just make something up. Golf clubs or baseball bats comes to mind. It's not illegal to break their policy. The UPS police aren't going to kick your door down and drag you off to UPS prison.

Lots of things are happening that shouldn't be, I'E. "isn't legal". Right now there's a bunch of people in prison over Jan 6 that haven't been charged, haven't gotten a speedy trial, and it's illegal. But it's happening anyway and no one is breaking them out.

Just sayin...

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Roy, thanks for putting it up!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
OK, UPS is not the only shipper in town. I used USPS for my first shipment years ago. Insurance was sky high so I discovered FedEx Ground and never looked back.

Create an account with FedEx and do your shipping online. Print the label and drop off the box at a Fedex location. Done.

I've had 2 claims with FedEx. I got paid on both. One was straightforward and the other took calls to the FedEx president's office.

The last few guns I shipped were enclosed in a frame I made from 1X4 boards and put them in a cardboard box. Nothing got broke or bent.

Face it, we are becoming a shrinking community of 2nd amendment supporters and the far left would seize our guns in a heartbeat if they could. Hold 'em tight!

From FedEx website-

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well, ya got me there... Haven't kept up.

What about USPS?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Rou, thanks for putting it up!

You bring up an interesting point. The market is flooded with the "problem child" 99's you describe, but for some reason they're still priced at 2x what a good one used to cost. Are they selling?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Well, ya got me there... Haven't kept up.

What about USPS?

Still ok to ship USPS, but... for how much longer with an openly hostile government?

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by S99VG
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Rou, thanks for putting it up!

You bring up an interesting point. The market is flooded with the "problem child" 99's you describe, but for some reason they're still priced at 2x what a good one used to cost. Are they selling?

I dunno, but maybe that's what everyone is getting rid of these days - and at an inflated price too!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the fed x is easily solved, go to my local gun store, pay the $25.00 transfer and ship

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still ok to ship USPS, but... for how much longer with an openly hostile government?[/quote]

Shipped one yesterday USPS. $60 from MN to Vermont priority and $900 ins. The clerk didn't know if he could ... had to ask the manager.

A couple years ago I brought one in and the clerk refused to ship, so did the manager. I went home, printed of their regulations and went back with a copy and the letter you need to hand them and asked for the manager again ... they shipped it.

This is the letter I use and provide the clerk; they stamp and file it. If you go priorty and insure for $501 or more you meet option c. below.
August ___, 2022
To: Post Office

Package contains a Savage Model 99 rifle. It is unloaded and no ammunition is included in the package. The rifle in not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d of USPS DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms – Clarification. Package also contains a copy of the FFL licensee of the addressee.
Mail with a “Return Service Requested” endorsement and mail via the cheapest of the following three options:
a. Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or
b. Registered Mail,
c. or must in¬clude either insured mail service (for more than $500) requiring a signature at delivery.
Ensure for $______.

Sincerely,

Last edited by KeithNyst; 09/03/22.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.