Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm late to the game, but please add me to the list. Thanks!

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're added!

Thanks,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
John

Based on the response here you might have to order a second printing. I think you have hit the target audience perfectly.

I own more books written by John than any other author!

One rifle

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
onerifle,

Glad you like my books!

As I mentioned in a much earlier post, one reason we do this is to get a handle on before-publication demand. Between this list, and the one Eileen's been compiling, we already have close to 300 requests, so will probably order at least 1000 for the first printing--and maybe more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
John, Please add me to your list. Thank you

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by onerifle

I can think of only one author with more books on my shelf than John. He is Konrad Knopp, and if you consider my screen name you may know why. John's books get opened a lot more than Konrad's these days.

W
W
Looks like I've been away too long from this site. I'm in for a copy plz

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by onerifle

I can think of only one author with more books on my shelf than John. He is Konrad Knopp, and if you consider my screen name you may know why. John's books get opened a lot more than Konrad's these days.

Thanks very much!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have added those who requested to be, both here and in PMs.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are they ready for sale now J.B?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
It still looks like mid-October....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have added those who requested to be, both here and in PMs.

Just making sure I'm on your list. Don't recall getting a PM. Thanks

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just checked, and no you weren't on my list--though you may be on Eileen's, who's also keeping one. So I added you!

The PMs I mentioned referenced a couple dozen guys who PM'd me to be added, rather than posting publicly on this thread.

Thanks,
John

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
onerifle,
As I mentioned in a much earlier post, one reason we do this is to get a handle on before-publication demand. Between this list, and the one Eileen's been compiling, we already have close to 300 requests, so will probably order at least 1000 for the first printing--and maybe more.

It bothers -saddens - me to read of a first print order of only 1K given a population over 332,403,650 people in the U.S. of A. and many more literate in English around the world. Not a personal criticism I hasten to add; rather more power to you and wishing your sales numbers matched even one percent of some folk's YouTube subscriber count.

I'd have hoped to see far more copies of your books in print. Maybe we will eventually. The Thor Power Tool decision and a myriad of other influences have been hard on book publishing small and large. Bob Hagel's book was the last that comes to mind by a major publishing house - Knopf - and reprinted by Wolfe with other books by specialty publishers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put me down too please.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in for one as well.

Ed
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clark,

I can assure you that our little publishing company is doing fine. In fact it has funded at least half of our retirement investments, one reason we started the company a dozen years ago.

We rarely order more than 1000 books at a time, and sometimes as few as 250. There isn't much of a price break when ordering more than 1000, and often none at all, so ordering more at a time only results in complications--and even more expenses, such as storage.

Right now we have almost 20 different books in stock, between Eileen's game cookbooks, my gun and hunting books, and the paper copies of RIFLE LOONY NEWS. About half are stored in our garage, and the other half in what I facetiously call the "warehouse," a 5x10 foot storage unit a few blocks from our house.

That's the big advantage of so-called "on demand" printing: Any time our supply of a certain book gets low, we can e-mail our printer and have another batch delivered within a month. Some of books have been reprinted several times, especially the first one we self-published, Eileen's SLICE OF THE WILD, a "cookbook" that covers big game from field to table, including the science of meat care, how to butcher, what's different about the meat from various animals, and 100 recipes. It just keeps selling--but there was no economic advantage in immediately printing as many as we've sold since it appeared in 2009.

The real puzzlers in our stock of books are the paper copies of RIFLE LOONY NEWS, the quarterly on-line magazine we both write. We started publishing it on riflesandrecipes.com, at the same time we published SLICE OF THE WILD, and when anybody subscribes, they get free access to all the previous issues on the website.

But after about three years, a few subscribers suggested we publish a printed book of all the issues of RLN. There were several reasons, such as wanting a copy for deer camp, where there was no Internet access, or to put in the bathroom instead of a pile of print-outs. (One guy even sent us a photo of his stack, next to the toilet....)

So we asked other subscribers if they'd be interested, and many said yes. So we put published a collection of the first five years, which filled an 8-1/2x11 inch, 269-page book. This was easy to do, since all the issues were already on Eileen's publishing program--but we still had doubts about how well they'd sell, so only printed 250--and had to order another printing within a month! The second volume, containing the next five years, has also sold well.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, and I added Elvis and 308ld to the list.

Thanks, guys....

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
John,please add me to the list. Thanks

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John, please make sure you print a third volume of RLN. I prefer the paper version, too.

Greg Perry

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.