Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Norma 203-B is the same powder--or was not long ago when I tested RL-15 and 203-B, in the same rifles with the same loads. Which is why I stocked up on 203-B when RL-15 got hard to find. Unfortunately, it appears Norma powders are very difficult to find right now too.

I suspect one of the problems with powder available is the many varieties now available. It's increasingly difficult to produce enough of each to satisfy every handloader--one among several reasons it used to be a lot easier to buy powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect one of the problems with powder available is the many varieties now available.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'll be OK as long as the 4895 and 4350 spigots stay turned on. They may not be the very best for everything I do, but one or the other is at least really good for most of the loading I've done for a number of years now.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mathman
I suspect one of the problems with powder available is the many varieties now available.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'll be OK as long as the 4895 and 4350 spigots stay turned on. They may not be the very best for everything I do, but one or the other is at least really good for most of the loading I've done for a number of years now.

Precisely why I bought an 8 #'er of 4320 last year. I had not used it in many years. It will do the job just fine in the majority of what I shoot.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Norma 203-B is the same powder--or was not long ago when I tested RL-15 and 203-B, in the same rifles with the same loads.

I hope so ‘cause I bought some after you told me that😜 Thanks again, BTW.

RL15 has worked very well for me in my .308s with 165s.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Norma 203-B is the same powder--or was not long ago when I tested RL-15 and 203-B, in the same rifles with the same loads.

I hope so ‘cause I bought some after you told me that😜 Thanks again, BTW.

RL15 has worked very well for me in my .308s with 165s.

RL 15 is a great powder. Good for everything from 223 rem to 375H&H. Damn versatile powder. If they only sold that and H4350, I could get buy for all of my rifles. Also, if they discontinued those 2 powders, that would be tragic!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It’s a damn shame. 4166 is a fantastic 5.56 powder for heavy bullets. It’s a bit faster than Varget and has been very good for high velocity mixed with great accuracy.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have 7lbs of 4166, never loaded any of it though.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Ever make it out to Oklahoma?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo

I'll bet the powder/primer/bullet companies are cranking out as much stuff as they ever did. Aside from panic buying of loaded ammo by non-handloaders, and the gov't acting the hog, the buying of components has taken a shift in recent years (as expressed by others on this thread) from buying ones and twos of things to buying large quantities. That may be partially due to the shift from buying at Mom&Pop LGS's (steadily disappearing) to buying on-line where hazmat fees encourage larger quantities be bought/shipped to make economic sense. It doesn't take long for an on-line retailer's shelf of primers to be cleaned out when multiple bricks are purchased by a bunch of guys who simply used to scoot down to the corner gunshop and snag a couple sleeves at a time as needed. I really do wonder how many bricks of primers and jugs of powder will be found to have gotten moldy from sitting in unfavorable environments over the upcoming decades, because Uncle Joe simply had to buy large amounts when a mere handful would've seen to his needs for a long time.

As for Enduron powders going away? Meh, I never bought a single grain of them. If the old standbys disappear then I'll gnash my teeth and hurl invectives at the moon. I'm still cursing Hodgdon for discontinuing 4759 8 or 10 years ago.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of you wanting to sell your 4451, let me know.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Ever make it out to Oklahoma?

No sorry.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The 4166 was suppose to replace 4320, now they are both gone.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I was trying to find 4166 in recent months. My 308 likes it. I really liked the Enduron series. I wish someone would pick them up.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
Yep. I was trying to find 4166 in recent months. My 308 likes it. I really liked the Enduron series. I wish someone would pick them up.

Hogdon didn't have a choice, they couldn't get the Enduron powders. They weren't shipping them to Hogdon

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me, too. Out of a half dozen powders that I experimented with, my 7-08 liked 4166 the most.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hogdon didn't have a choice, they couldn't get the Enduron powders. They weren't shipping them to Hogdon

I don't understand this. The Enduron powders were IMR series, and Hodgdon owns the IMR Powder Company.

From Hodgdon's website:

Hodgdon purchased IMR® Powder Company in October 2003. IMR legendary powders have been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for almost 100 years. IMR powders continue to be manufactured in the same plant and with the same exacting performance criteria and quality assurance standards that shooters have come to expect

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I could load everything I shoot with 760 and 748 .I really like Ramshot Powders.Truth is I only bought a 1 pounder of 4451 and then was able to get H4350.I will never have to buy another pound of powder in my lifetime.Primers I have enough for quite a while but will probably need more several years from now.Hopefully after the brain dead idiot is of of the Whitehouse.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo

I'll bet the powder/primer/bullet companies are cranking out as much stuff as they ever did. Aside from panic buying of loaded ammo by non-handloaders, and the gov't acting the hog, the buying of components has taken a shift in recent years (as expressed by others on this thread) from buying ones and twos of things to buying large quantities. That may be partially due to the shift from buying at Mom&Pop LGS's (steadily disappearing) to buying on-line where hazmat fees encourage larger quantities be bought/shipped to make economic sense. It doesn't take long for an on-line retailer's shelf of primers to be cleaned out when multiple bricks are purchased by a bunch of guys who simply used to scoot down to the corner gunshop and snag a couple sleeves at a time as needed. I really do wonder how many bricks of primers and jugs of powder will be found to have gotten moldy from sitting in unfavorable environments over the upcoming decades, because Uncle Joe simply had to buy large amounts when a mere handful would've seen to his needs for a long time.

As for Enduron powders going away? Meh, I never bought a single grain of them. If the old standbys disappear then I'll gnash my teeth and hurl invectives at the moon. I'm still cursing Hodgdon for discontinuing 4759 8 or 10 years ago.

Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bummer.

I've got a couple jugs of two of them and used close to 16lbs. of 4451, which worked as well and maybe a little better than H4350.

The Endurons getting taken out of the Hodgdon manual is going to leave a lot of holes, not to mention how much promotion and advertising down the drain.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought two 1 pound jugs of different Endurons recently. I have a hunch my rifles will love them.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 46 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,699
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.