Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I hate my Stihl weed eater. Damn thing floods when you look at it the wrong way.

GB1

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Echo has lasted me for about 20 years. Still going strong. Always non-alcohol gas.

Now, for about 2 years, using a HF Atlas 40v for 90% of my trimming. Echo is only used on tougher jobs.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have two gas powered stihls. I don't use them enough to keep the carbs from clogging up.

They'll start but won't run wide open, so not only do I have to add string to the spindle but I have to clean the carbs.

which in turn makes me use them less, not more, and makes the problem worse.

next one I buy is going to be battery.

Get some VP brand "Fix It Fuel" and run a tankful though them. I buy it as Tractor Supply.

I haven't used that but I did buy some mechanic in a bottle once. It did help

but cleaning the carb is pretty easy on a Stihl weedeater.

Also they just opened a ethanol free gas station less than a mile from the house. That should change things considerably

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
If you want the best "weed wacker" and not just some little old "grass trimmer" you want to get a Husqvarna 525 LST commercial gas trimmer. I own, or have owned three different Stihl, from their smallest residential trimmer, to a commercial trimmer (fs250), to a commercial clearing saw (fs 550) and they were or have been good pieces of equipment but my Husqvarna 525 is my favorite of all. That thing will go thru the heaviest of weeds and never miss a beat.

I still prefer Stihl chain saws but all of my string trimmers will be Husky.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHunter
If you want the best "weed wacker" and not just some little old "grass trimmer" you want to get a Husqvarna 525 LST commercial gas trimmer. I own, or have owned three different Stihl, from their smallest residential trimmer, to a commercial trimmer (fs250), to a commercial clearing saw (fs 550) and they were or have been good pieces of equipment but my Husqvarna 525 is my favorite of all. That thing will go thru the heaviest of weeds and never miss a beat.

I still prefer Stihl chain saws but all of my string trimmers will be Husky.

I have all Husky equipment and wholeheartedly agree with the Husky 525. The 522 is good as well if are not going to be too hard on it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Run Avgas in your weed eater and chainsaws you’ll never have carburetor problems.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used my echo trimmer 15+ years...never done a single thing to it cept replace line....always fires up and runs strong.

When I did it commercially, we used Red Max for everything...they were not treated kindly...and never bobbled

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Shindiawa hands down . I have a1998 model . Lots of hard use . Only thing I’ve changed is air filter , spark plug and primer bulb. It is by far the most dependable piece of yard equipment I’ve ever owned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a stihl for 21 years, but even it finally wore out. This summer I replaced it with an Echo. So far, so good.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
Also they just opened a ethanol free gas station less than a mile from the house. That should change things considerably

I used to have carb problems with all my small engines, I pretty much kept the local small engine guy in business. I started using 93 octane non-ethanol in everything when I found a local source, and I also empty the fuel tank & run the carb dry on my weedeater and chainsaws. That's fixed the problem, I haven't had carb problems in years now.

I would caution against using AVgas as one poster mentioned. 100LL (low lead) actually has more lead in it than the old leaded gasoline we used to get in the 70's. I don't want to inhale the exhaust from that running a chainsaw or weedeater for any length of time.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Honda 4 stroke… no more ethanol…

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Husky 525. Cuts circles around Stihl. Just like there chainsaws

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
I mow professionally and have for over 10 years.

Stihl or echo are solid choices and what we have at the shop but if you’re going to take care of it better than the average 18 year old employee and want a step up I’d go Honda.

It’s what I have at home.

Never used an electric but if Milwaukee wacker is anything like the chainsaw it’s probably pretty great for home use and worth the money.

Last edited by Hypocrite; 09/05/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Stihl I bought used a while back and only use it a few times a year. When it runs it is great, but every spring I have to take the carb off and blow it out with air and replace the jets to the same setting they were on before and it usually starts right up. However, like most of my gas yard tools, after a while they just don't want to cooperate any more. Several years ago I started buying these replacement carbs on Amazon that are probably chinese made for about $10-$15 and putting them on. They usually start first or second pull after installing the new chicom carbs and run better than they ever have. Same thing with my Stihl- it has never run as well as it does now- idles like it was meant to but never has since I owned it and just plain does what it is supposed to do.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My echo 350 has been great.

Bb

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Used buddy's older (mid-2000's) Stihl and worked great. Bought one 3 years ago and new ones are crappy; hard to start, hard to restart. Gas blowers even worse.

Skip new Stihl. Go (much) older.

Or, go Shindaiwa.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Husky 525

No contest

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Looking for a new weed
whacker. Looking for best in gas or battery. Which of each have held up well for you. Thank you

What is this thing for?

Big difference in knocking back some grass around the junk in the yard weekly, and cutting heavy weeds and clearing brush.

I have an upgraded version of Husky's most popular small pro-landscaper model. Been great. (Unlike others, can't say it's best. Haven't run them all)

Wanted an Echo when I bought it, the dealer was a Richard-Noggin. Hard to deal with, didnt even have a demo i could run in his yard.
The Husky dealer offered up one to take home and run for the weekend.
Liked it, bought it.

If buying one now, it look at Echo again.
The Husky dealer is now into Echo also.😁

They have a much nicer designed head.
Easier to load, gets closer to the ground.
(Stihl uses it under license, claims it as their own!)

Wouldn't likely buy Stihl.
A saw maybe, but have seen some bad trimmers that turned me off.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can buy the Echo SpeedFeed head for your Husqvarna. They are great heads.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Craftsman 4 stroke about 15yrs ago. Never doesn't start, ever!

I bought a new Stihl 2 stroke 3 yrs ago to replace the Craftsman when it dies. It won't die, ever!

I should sell the Stihl.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.