-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyhoo, just recently got done helping shepherd an evening group ride, about 150 bicycles 10 miles around downtown.

I always bring up the rear with pump, flashlight, tools and spare tubes for the newbies. Plus I’m lit up like a Christmas tree and I’ll cover their back while trying to keep them from running into traffic or traffic from running into them.

....and if me or them get hit, it’s our fault for being out there on bicycles in the first place 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by smokepole
Is it the old soft shoe, or the Lido Shuffle?

Why is it you don’t ride in traffic again?

I think we've been over this.

Because guys like you have drivers licenses.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Or is my supposition that these words that you used: "at worst a dangerous road hazard" don't equal these words "a traumatic event for a motorist"

Do you see how your language has drifted as I have tried to drill down?

A situation where someone is liable to receive crippling injuries or dies is not a dangerous road hazard?

If the incident becomes a life changing event emotionally and/or financially for the operator of the vehicle does not that represent danger to the driver?

Are drivers NEVER placed in danger of a collision when avoiding cyclists in the roadway? If so, why do so many feel they are?

Why then is it unreasonable for drivers to resent cyclists? Crap, even in a minor collision just having to deal with the hassle of being made late for work and having to make an insurance claim because some retard was in the road on a bicycle is legitimate grounds for resentment.

Perhaps “emotional immaturity” on your part plays a role here, ‘cause you’re gonna go back to the drivers are wrong to feel that way because you don’t think they should feel that way, your only argument 🙄

Like I said, the sort of smug patronizing attitude among cyclists that pisses off drivers so much.

Drift on my friend drift on. Going back to my previous comment. What does the data tell us about the hazard that bicyclists present to motorists? It's right up there with the threat that right wing extremists present. It mainly exists in the imagination of the frightened and uneducated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it the old soft shoe, or the Lido Shuffle?

Why is it you don’t ride in traffic again?

I think we've been over this.

Because guys like you have drivers licenses.

You have a point that's hard to argue against. Birdwatcher could mow down a bicyclist in the bicycle lane, and it would be their fault.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, Birdy, stop fighting before someone gets hurt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Bicycles in the roadway are the same road hazard as a cardboard box, aluminum ladder, jogger, livestock ect to motorists.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Livestock? .Must be some big ol cyclists out your way.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've seen herds of them.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I've seen herds of them.

Kent

LOL.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mounted a bicycle bell on the ZX14R, the look from the spandex crowd when I idle by…ding ding ding is funny as sH ! T 🤣

Dave

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The quality that is lacking here is empathy.

You dismiss drivers as “emotionally immature” and now “frightened and uneducated”. Likewise a dangerous hazard is not a dangerous hazard unless it involves injury to the driver. A consistent theme in all of your posts on this topic over the years.

You ain’t making this stuff up, you actually believe it.

Perhaps this is the exact mindset that prevails among those spandex-clad packs on weekends that PO so many.

And the White Supremacist analogy? If there were many thousands of actual White Supremacist incidents all over America every year, few people would dismiss those objecting as frightened and uneducated.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have a point that's hard to argue against. Birdwatcher could mow down a bicyclist in the bicycle lane, and it would be their fault.

Smokepole has already dismissed himself from this topic by avoiding answering direct questions.

Now you bring up an improbable argument equivalent to the possibility of rape as a reason to keep abortion legal.

I didn’t get into bicycles until I was 56. Before that it was motorcycles. Ten long-term riding companions over the years; one death, three life changing injuries (amputation, shattered leg and closed-head brain injury). 40% casualty rate across thirty years. So should I swing a leg over a motorcycle again I assume that risk and blame no one else.

Bicycles? Eight years, one death, four collisions with vehicles resulting in injury among people known to me (out of a couple hundred). I assume the risk and accept responsibility for that risk every time.

Works fer me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyhoo, just recently got done helping shepherd an evening group ride, about 150 bicycles 10 miles around downtown.

I always bring up the rear with pump, flashlight, tools and spare tubes for the newbies. Plus I’m lit up like a Christmas tree and I’ll cover their back while trying to keep them from running into traffic or traffic from running into them.

....and if me or them get hit, it’s our fault for being out there on bicycles in the first place 🙂

Tell that to your insurance company when the medical bills roll in. I'm sure they'll see it your way and cover all your expenses.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Smokepole has already dismissed himself from this topic by avoiding answering direct questions.

Bullshart. Which question did I fail to answer, Lido?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A recent annoying bicycle anecdote to contribute:

Wife and I were in Olympic National Park last week, driving down the mountain from Hurricane Ridge to Port Angeles. The speed limit is 35 mph on a curvy downhill two lane road, park speed on a road that could handle faster. Medium heavy traffic and a fair number of bicyclers, co-existing just fine, courteous and passing safely.

Then we caught up with a line of vehicles following behind one bicycle that stayed in the center of the right lane or out toward the center line of the two lane highway. The young man on the bike seemed oblivious to the number of cars piling up behind him and hogged the lane for nearly four miles before he pulled off into a viewpoint. He had plenty of wide shoulder sections to ride that would allow plenty of room for cars to safely pass him, with no need for him to slow down. He was averaging 25 mph, a few times slower and a few times briefly got up to 35.

Simple. Courtesy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have no idea who or what Lido is, most likely not a complement.

No time right now to cut and paste, it’s up there.

The first question was if pedestrians who use shared bicycle/pedestrian paths could vote on a rule requiring cyclists to slow way down or even stop before passing them, would they vote in favor of that rule?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The quality that is lacking here is empathy.

You dismiss drivers as “emotionally immature” and now “frightened and uneducated”. Likewise a dangerous hazard is not a dangerous hazard unless it involves injury to the driver. A consistent theme in all of your posts on this topic over the years.

You ain’t making this stuff up, you actually believe it.

Perhaps this is the exact mindset that prevails among those spandex-clad packs on weekends that PO so many.

And the White Supremacist analogy? If there were many thousands of actual White Supremacist incidents all over America every year, few people would dismiss those objecting as frightened and uneducated.

I want to say this in the nicest possible way. You are either dumb as fugking hell, marginally literate or disingenuous. I never typed a goddam thing about white supremacy.

Perhaps your cognitive challenges are indicative of the motorist mindset that finds them struggling to negotiate the occasional cyclist they encounter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want to say this in the nicest possible way. You are either dumb as fugking hell, marginally literate or disingenuous. I never typed a goddam thing about white supremacy.

Perhaps your cognitive challenges are indicative of the motorist mindset that finds them struggling to negotiate the occasional cyclist they encounter.

You’re right, you used the analogy that motorists PO’d about bicycles (which is almost all of ‘em) were as frightened and uneducated as those who worry about Far Right Extremists, not White Supremacists. My mistake, but you will agree the terms are commonly conflated in the MSM. I could not see your post when replying.

My apologies.

What I meant to say is if thousands of Far Right Extremists were acting up in thousands of incidents all Across America every year as is true of bicycles on the roadway no one would consider those alarmed by this to be frightened and uneducated.

I think it’s old news that you view motorists who have problems with bicycles as being cognitively challenged. This is what you have always said.

I am more certain than ever that yours is the typical mindset of those spandex clad crowds on weekends.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A new bicycle.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I have no idea who or what Lido is, most likely not a complement.

The Lido Shuffle is a classic song by Boz Scaggs. I called you Lido because your answers to Paul's questions are shuffling all over the map depending on the level of obtusity and obfuscation needed to avoid answering the question.

The first question was if pedestrians who use shared bicycle/pedestrian paths could vote on a rule requiring cyclists to slow way down or even stop before passing them, would they vote in favor of that rule?

And you expected an answer to a hypothetical question that I can't answer because I have no idea how pedestrians would vote on that. Except that pedestrians whose heads are not firmly planted up their asses would vote "no."

Does that work for you?

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,824
Posts18,496,551
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.