Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We need to see more of this. A large NY construction company is hiring high school juniors as apprentices. After graduation, good ones will be offered full time work at up to $47/hour with full bennies. No school bills to pay back.

This is one way to beat the liberal colleges. JOBS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My neighbor is a high school principle.
Some of my best hires in the last 30+ years are young folks she recommended.

I have one now. Started 2 weeks ago, albeit one year out of high school.

She is a beast! She finished high school with a 3.6 GPA. Parents divorced her senior year. No money for college. She enlisted in the NG as a heavy equipment operator.
As I type she is loading a semi with 6K pound reels of cable.

We are in a blue collar business where a person like her can easily break six figures by 30 years old is she works hard, shows up continues to learn.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Apprenticeships and hiring out of HS pending tech school attendance and graduation has been quite successful for a number of South Dakota kids through the Build Dakota Scholarship program. Having the school and the BD program part of the deal has been a real game changer in finding the opportunities and making sure each side lives up to the deal. It wouldn't be for me and my kids but it sure is for substantial group albeit a minority of students.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are still kids coming out of high school who aren't afraid of hard, honest work. Although it seems those kids are now a smaller percentage of every graduating class. I hear some of the trades are beginning to lose older, experienced guys to retirement and they are having trouble getting new young folks to replace them. Seeing that trend for years now, I figured there would be some stepping up of recruitment, training programs and other incentives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the things that I keep remembering most from my mentor, long time ago was the phrase: I can teach employees anything, except getting up at 6 AM on Monday morning.....

He was right. The good ones stand out at a very young age, although I have a hard time convincing an obviously capable young person not to go to college if they can swing it financially and they are going to study something worth while. We need good electricians and fork lift operators, but we also need good engineers.........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I hired summer employees. The best help I could find were farm kids from the smaller towns. They knew how to work and only needed

to be shown what to do and how to do it. I had some school teachers that could not be taught.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My grandson is on an apprenticeship program.
He is 1 year out of HS.
They came to him after the first year and offered him $35 per hour plus benefits. He does have to work the 12-12 night shift.
With the overtime he will be making $90K per year.
He still lives at home and his job is only 10 minutes away.
He has always been very mechanical minded.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Four year college doesn't prepare you for a job, community college AAS degree and apprenticeship are the way to well paying jobs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Especially school district plumbers, who make more than retired teachers with TRS (TEACHER, not plumber, Retirement System) in Texas.

Last edited by WhiteTail48; 09/08/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son will graduate this year. He’s starting an apprentice program for heavy equipment right after. Will be paid mid $30/hr out of HS.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hired a 19yr old gal the other day and she'll start at $100K+ a year,with 6 months of vacation. She'll be making $150K+ in a couple years,with huge benefits. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's great.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Local 12 Operating Engineers Union
Hires 50 year old house wives and 35+ year old ex hair dressers to be welding Inspectors.
I know this as a Fact because I was a 3rd Party Over sight for both of them.
I had to show them how to do their job as well as how to fill out their reports.
They were working on CalTrans projects.

I was just told by another seasoned Inspector that they are now Hiring High School Graduates to be Building Inspectors and the Labs are having a hard time getting them to show up for work.
I bet they are paying them very well being in the Union

Local 12 has been on my projects in the past threatening my coworkers

I guess when the next Earthquake hits Commyfornia everything will be A OK

Think about it High School kid with no prior experience Inspecting Welders , Concrete and Masonry

What could go wrong.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's about time the folks who actually contribute start getting paid way more instead of hedge funders and these college business majors. If there's no technicians, electricians, and tradesmen then everyone us screwed and we will have to have a ton of folks from Asia immigrate here to maintain infrastructure.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ipopum
I hired summer employees. The best help I could find were farm kids from the smaller towns. They knew how to work and only needed

to be shown what to do and how to do it. I had some school teachers that could not be taught.
Our little county has a reputation in Cincinnati and Lexington for producing workers in the trades and skilled labor force. Daughter worked for a geo engineering company that had pretty much an open door for county residents on their drill crews.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Working for farmers etc for under $5 / hour and no overtime then having to chase them down to get your paychecks is what motivated me to get a masters degree. These days I'd seriously look at a trade school. Electricians, hvac guys, and plumbers are making far more today than I ever had. I had an hvak guy charge me $530 to put in a non programmable $22 thermostat in a rental house. Told me it would be $89 then billed for $530 and threatened to lean me. My cousin had a plumber charge him over $1000 just to seat a toilet he already owned. One wax ring and two bolts, over $1000.

I'll remember who's who when things slow down.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'll remember who's who when things slow down.

Bb

Oh, it will be EPIC!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Four year college doesn't prepare you for a job, community college AAS degree and apprenticeship are the way to well paying jobs.

Consistently comical.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I thought it was consistently comical that I earned nearly 2x what my BIL with a PhD made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I thought it was consistently comical that I earned nearly 2x what my BIL with a PhD made.

In a world where money is everything, that would mean something...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.