Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The difference between staying behind you in those blind corners and passing you was probably 5 full seconds, you disrespectful ass. Happy hour only lasts so long.

"Rail against nature." LOL. I simply put things into their proper perspective.

The term was “rail against human nature”, not the same thing.

As usual you dismiss as irrelevant the irritation almost every motorist feels in the pictured situations, exactly like the cyclists in the photos.

What the proper perspective is; those cyclists are making it incumbent on the drivers to avoid permanently mangling their flesh and bones, they are doing this by moving much slower than the flow of traffic while riding in the lane.

I don’t see much substantive difference between that and just walking in the traffic lane with your back to traffic obliging cars to go around you. Neither does almost everybody else.

I’m just grateful I’m allowed to do it. But, if I get hit while doing that, it’s all on me.

You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos. I haven't seen any evidence that there was. This ties in very well with my contention that most "problems" with cyclists aren't really problems. The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Whoever is behind them taking the pic's.
If the photographer is one of the group, he is o the wrong side of the road - as were others in the previous pic.
Evidently, crossing the centerline is OK for bicyclists, but not motorists?
Are bicyclists required to stay as far right as feasible, when there is no designated bike lane?

When I look at those pictures, I see arrogance on display.

FWIW, I have nothing against bicyclists who do it right - but that seems to be a rare breed, anymore.

It is most likely that it is a member of their group or another cyclist taking the photo. My point is that there is no need to imagine that those cyclists are creating a problem. Almost all states use the words "far right as practicable." Not possible. That language was purposefully chosen. It allows the cyclist to take a position at other places on the road for a number of reasons. For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side. That's allowed in every state whose bicycle law I have read. Riding side by side makes us "easier to see" for those who might claim a bicyclist is "hard to see." Again, when traffic comes up from behind, I accommodate them.

I reckon someone will see that as arrogant. I can only say that I won't apologize for riding a bicycle on the road, I won't take kindly to being bullied and I do care about those I share the road with and will work cooperatively with them.

Bet you made Apple Butter and lard as a kid.
Top 5 pot stirred at least.

If every bike rider responded to cars like you, there would be
fewer accidents, less trouble.

At least half don't.

They stay center lane, 2 wide. And hold up traffic.

But you know that.

Originally Posted by HawkI
I reckon some will see this as arrogant: I won't apologize for believing bikes don't belong on the road for recreational activity, I don't take kindly to them being on the road phoucking off on said road and most of them I've encountered do not care or cooperate with anything other than their Lance Armstrong wet dreams. Except to the point they get hit or run off the road.

Does anyone have pics of those bastards playing 4 man badminton in the middle of those mountain passes? Oh right....

Not just bikes.
Recreation in general.
Roadways were built and funded for transportation, not recreation.
ATVs, horses, bikes, Leaf Lookers. Given the power, I'd fine the guts
out of any of them holding up traffic more the 5% of the posted speed.

Equipment, trucks going uphill?
That's commerce, the underlying reason for the transportation in the
first place.

Don't get me started on ignorant Dickweasels blocking the aisle in
The store. The ones taking all day to comb their 8 year olds hair, then
walk him to the door while blocking the drop off lane at school.

Narcissism, Trending in the USA.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The store.

I'm with you. Just the other day there was a woman with three kids blocking the aisle, couldn't make up her mind which tuna fish to buy. I was in a hurry so I just mowed her down with the cart and kept going.

Not really. I said "excuse me ma'am, could I please get by?" She smiled and said "sorry" and her little boy moved her cart out of the way with a smile. Cute little bugger.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Whoever is behind them taking the pic's.
If the photographer is one of the group, he is o the wrong side of the road - as were others in the previous pic.
Evidently, crossing the centerline is OK for bicyclists, but not motorists?
Are bicyclists required to stay as far right as feasible, when there is no designated bike lane?

When I look at those pictures, I see arrogance on display.

FWIW, I have nothing against bicyclists who do it right - but that seems to be a rare breed, anymore.

It is most likely that it is a member of their group or another cyclist taking the photo. My point is that there is no need to imagine that those cyclists are creating a problem. Almost all states use the words "far right as practicable." Not possible. That language was purposefully chosen. It allows the cyclist to take a position at other places on the road for a number of reasons. For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side. That's allowed in every state whose bicycle law I have read. Riding side by side makes us "easier to see" for those who might claim a bicyclist is "hard to see." Again, when traffic comes up from behind, I accommodate them.

I reckon someone will see that as arrogant. I can only say that I won't apologize for riding a bicycle on the road, I won't take kindly to being bullied and I do care about those I share the road with and will work cooperatively with them.

Bet you made Apple Butter and lard as a kid.
Top 5 pot stirred at least.

If every bike rider responded to cars like you, there would be
fewer accidents, less trouble.

At least half don't.

They stay center lane, 2 wide. And hold up traffic.

But you know that.

Originally Posted by HawkI
I reckon some will see this as arrogant: I won't apologize for believing bikes don't belong on the road for recreational activity, I don't take kindly to them being on the road phoucking off on said road and most of them I've encountered do not care or cooperate with anything other than their Lance Armstrong wet dreams. Except to the point they get hit or run off the road.

Does anyone have pics of those bastards playing 4 man badminton in the middle of those mountain passes? Oh right....

Not just bikes.
Recreation in general.
Roadways were built and funded for transportation, not recreation.
ATVs, horses, bikes, Leaf Lookers. Given the power, I'd fine the guts
out of any of them holding up traffic more the 5% of the posted speed.

Equipment, trucks going uphill?
That's commerce, the underlying reason for the transportation in the
first place.

The store. The ones taking all day to comb their 8 year olds hair, then
walk him to the door while blocking the drop off lane at school.

Narcissism, Trending in the USA.

FWIW, and that is probably very little, when I interact with bicyclists, I implore them to take a cooperative approach, rather than an us vs them approach.

I don't know that it is narcissism, I think that in general it is a general lack of awareness of surroundings. The people that block the grocery aisle. Not that I have ever done this, but slamming your cart into theirs can make for fascinating human response. People who stand in the check-out line for 5 minutes while their groceries are being rung up, and only consider fumble fugking for their Visa card when the cashier finishes the process. Drivers who get distracted waiting at a traffic light and don't go when it turns green. Drivers who languish in the left lane while cars are continuously passing on the right. I suspect most of it is people who are unaware. Who knows though.

The purpose of roads boils down to belief. Ultimately the law spells out who can and cannot use roads. I don't care why or how someone is using the road as long as they are safe and considerate. I encountered an old guy on one of those 4 wheel disability scooters the other day. It didn't bother me one bit to go around. When I rode my bike yesterday, I encountered a woman in a CRV who stopped right in the middle of a 4 way intersection. I was coming up behind her. I very slowly went around, expecting her to turn left toward me at any moment. She was lighting a damn cigarette. Maybe, pull off to the side of the road to do that? Statistically speaking, there's a large chance of her being the kind that bitches about bicycles.

Farm tractor going down the winding back country road to till the deer plot.

Fat woman driving to McDonalds.

Old geezers in an RV driving up a mountain road.

Angry, middle aged, out of shape white guy driving to the hunting camp.

Horse lover towing horse trailer to the National Forest trail to ride.

Family on their way to Disney.

Bicycle tourist on Route 66.

Amish buggy taking bread to the local outdoor market.

I don't care why people are using the road. Just be as fugking cooperative with others as you can.

I am not so narcissistic that I think I have a right to plow through life without ever lifting off of the gas. Seems many here are unlike me in that regard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's like Paul moving to the side.

Ever have them look at you trying to patiently wait a few seconds,
then just go back to looking. When they could easily have given you
room?

Wasn't raised that way.
If someone is being held up by my cart (it happens confused :blush)
I apologize and get the heck over.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
The store.

I'm with you. Just the other day there was a woman with three kids blocking the aisle, couldn't make up her mind which tuna fish to buy. I was in a hurry so I just mowed her down with the cart and kept going.

Not really. I said "excuse me ma'am, could I please get by?" She smiled and said "sorry" and her little boy moved her cart out of the way with a smile. Cute little bugger.

You should have reminded her that when she goes through the check out line that it would be courteous to be ready to pay.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/16/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did. And also told her to pull off on the shoulder when she has her kids light her cigarette or fish a beer out if the cooler for her

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos.

The second photo appears to be the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier. Hard to imagine a time that highway wouldn’t be uber crowded with vehicle traffic at the season that appears to be. If so, given the narrow nature of that road there’s places where vehicles travelling in opposite directions squeeze by each other with mere inches to spare even without bicycles to contend with.

Ironically, claiming the whole lane as those people are doing may be the only possible way to ride that road in season.

As for the first photo, I think everyone has encountered situations like that at some point while driving. Even without the guys in the wrong lane, haven’t you yourself stated it’s safest for the cyclist to “claim the lane” ie. ride in the traffic lane?

The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

How would this not equally apply to pedestrians walking in the roadway?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In between my after lunch nap and my important internet posting time today, I took a bicycle ride.

Goddam pedestrians. There's so much wrong with these pics.

First and foremost, spandex is disgusting.

I don't see a license plate on that ass.

Doubt she has insurance.

Pedestrians don't pay taxes.

She couldn't manage to stay in her 12 foot wide lane. She spent most of her time in the separation zone, and some of her time wandering aimlessly into the bike lane.

She was completely distracted by her phone and never even looked back to see if she might be blocking bicyclists.

Her behavior is extremely dangerous to bicyclists.

If I or another very responsible cyclist had hit her, it could have induced life changing PTSD.

It could have damaged our expensive bicycles too.

If I could have rolled coal, I would have.

fugking spandex.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh, and I forgot to mention this. Smokepole will get it. She probably drives too. Statistically speaking, odd are she loathes dumb, inconsiderate bicyclists.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, I would find it very difficult to pass her

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos.

The second photo appears to be the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier. Hard to imagine a time that highway wouldn’t be uber crowded with vehicle traffic

Since you struggle with logic and tend to engage in obfuscation, I'll tackle this bit by bit, so as not to confuse you.

Don't imagine. It's not so crowded that there's evidence of any other cars on the road. Don't imagine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If so, given the narrow nature of that road there’s places where vehicles travelling in opposite directions squeeze by each other with mere inches to spare even without bicycles to contend with.

?

If that is the case, then it wouldn't matter if they were in single file. A motorist still wouldn't be able to pass until the oncoming lane was clear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for the first photo, I think everyone has encountered situations like that at some point while driving.

?

Again, no evidence that motorists were affected. No, as a motorist I have not encountered anything like that. I suspect the reason is that people won't do it when they see or hear cars coming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even without the guys in the wrong lane, haven’t you yourself stated it’s safest for the cyclist to “claim the lane” ie. ride in the traffic lane?

Not sure what that has to do with my comments. Cyclists are more visible when they are out in the lane, less likely to be brush passed and more likely to be perceived as and treated as traffic. That's why my default position is out in the lane. I move right as circumstances warrant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

How would this not equally apply to pedestrians walking in the roadway?

It took a while, but someone finally slammed that bait. I knew someone would unwittingly make my point for me, and it doesn't surprise me that it was you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It took a while, but someone finally slammed that bait. I knew someone would unwittingly make my point for me, and it doesn't surprise me that it was you.

Your point is unclear from here, you could be avoiding a direct question.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your point is unclear from here, you could be avoiding a direct question.

Was your comment related to the post I made about the pedestrian in the picture?

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
place holder
[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
Yet the bone headed bike brigade insist on doing THIS

[Linked Image from adventurecycling.org][Linked Image from adventurecycling.org]

Then they expect sympathy when they get mowed down..

What's boneheaded in the pics?

It's illegal to ride across the double yellow in the oncoming lane... regardless if there is traffic or not.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any two wheeled transpo, motorized or not, is a hell of a lot of fun.

Leather and Lycra clad tards gotta fugk it up for for everybody though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1badf350, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.