Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 81 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 80 81
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Appears folks are smartening up and realizing the whole “religion “ thing is bullshiit.👊🏻

I have spoken with those who can beat me in an IQ test that say, "I don't believe in God, I believe in science."

Their statements do not bear much scrutiny.

No amount of science has built a living cell.
No amount of science has explained consciousness.

Religion says God gave life and God gave you a spirit.

God is the better model for explaining these things.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
All over the World, big nanny-state government and prosperity seem to be causes. But I think those are only proximate causes.
Does ‘the Church’…the body of believers, individually and collectively…bear any responsibility at all……?
Originally Posted by Calvin
This is driven largely by the younger generation leaving the church. Not surprised at all.
When they come home from college with real academic questions about the faith of Christianity (for example), and they’re given Sunday School answers, does that have a negative impact…? When they’re told they must believe in the literal 6 day creation in Genesis (for example) in order to believe The Gospel, does that have a negative impact…? When they see Christians selectively ranking sin, and focusing on the moral failures of others while ignoring their own moral failures, and pretending that someone else’s sin is worse than their own sin, does that have a negative impact…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bluefish
Someone earlier in the post said it. We are at fault. How many here are baptized? Did your parents fail to raise you in the church as they promised? Did your godparents step in as they promised? How many here went through confirmation and made promises as members of the church? How many have lived.up to those promises? How many of us have had our children baptized and failed to live.up to our promises we made before God? The answers are before us as are the solutions. We simply need to commit to living in accordance with the promises we made for ourselves and on behalf of others.

Nailed it.

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

It is a parental responsibility that has been grossly neglected. Goes right to the heart of the destruction of the family unit.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bluefish
Someone earlier in the post said it. We are at fault. How many here are baptized? Not I Did your parents fail to raise you in the church as they promised? What promise? Did your godparents step in as they promised? Godparents? How many here went through confirmation and made promises as members of the church? again, No How many have lived.up to those promises? Only promises made were to my wife via wedding vows. And Yes, they have been honored for 40 years How many of us have had our children baptized and failed to live.up to our promises we made before God? I absolutely did not have my children baptized. Baptism is an individual choice. It is entirely up to the individual........when he/she reaches a level of maturity where he/she is capable of making such a choice. No one else can make that choice for them. The answers are before us as are the solutions. We simply need to commit to living in accordance with the promises we made for ourselves and on behalf of others.

My conscience is clear. My kids have been free to choose their religious affiliations, or not.

Bluefish, I think that your thoughts toward religion and baptism are as far from mainstream as are Jag's and Ringman's.

The only people I have heard talk that way are a very few "old school" Catholics.

Hell, I don't know. Maybe you are the one who got it right. Maybe God does exist and yours is the only way to appease Him. But, to me, it seems more likely to be THE way to keep the pews and the coffers filled. Priests have to be kept fat and happy.

But I am forever skeptical.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You do not have to live your life that way. Peace can be found through belief in God. It is a personal relationship, not between you and some group/organization/leader.

2 Timothy 1:12
"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

I respect your right to not be convinced, I only hope that you too can feel the gift of peace which has been made available to mankind.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH
I'm pointing out why Christianity is tanking and you're just in denial about it, that's all.
You are the perfect example. Feminized men in a feminized society believe in feminized morality and reject masculinity.

Politics is War by Other Means
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
So what’s the majority religion gonna be? Woke Communism?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm pointing out why Christianity is tanking and you're just in denial about it, that's all.
You are the perfect example. Feminized men in a feminized society believe in feminized morality and reject masculinity.

Jesus was a pretty masculine looking dude. Wore a dress, sandals, and had real nice hair. Seemed to love everybody around him and hung out with mostly other dudes.

Pretty feminine by today's standards, wouldn't you agree?..you have any problem with that?

I don't.

Last edited by BuzzH; 09/17/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Futura
So what’s the majority religion gonna be? Woke Communism?
Not a bad description. But I'd just call it "Materialism".

Politics is War by Other Means
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Let’s get one thing straight.

Humanity is, by its nature, religious.

The OP said that the US is growing less and less Christian... Duh. Anyone who couldn’t see that coming 40 yrs ago has serious isssues.

But we are NOT becoming less religious.

Wokeness is a religion.

Scientistic Materialism is a religion.

We all have to have a narrative we live within which gives coherence to our continued existence; those narratives are religions. Everyone has one, tho some who aren’t so intellectually honest deny they do.

They’re whistling passed the graveyard.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by WTM45

You do not have to live your life that way. Peace can be found through belief in God. It is a personal relationship, not between you and some group/organization/leader.

2 Timothy 1:12
"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

I respect your right to not be convinced, I only hope that you too can feel the gift of peace which has been made available to mankind.
Believe me. I feel peaceful.

Belief is not a choice. It is, or it is not.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by efw

The OP said that the US is growing less and less Christian... Duh. Anyone who couldn’t see that coming 40 yrs ago has serious isssues.

Wokeness is a religion.

We all have to have a narrative we live within which gives coherence to our continued existence; those narratives are religions. Everyone has one, tho some who aren’t so intellectually honest deny they do.

I disagree. Do not religions by definition require faith?

When a belief is founded on hard data and proven facts, it is not a religion. Most importantly, when that belief is subject to modification, change, or even abandonment subject to new data, it definitely is not a religion.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Glad to hear that. You seem to be a man who has lived your life well with purpose and honor while raising strong children to be good citizens.
Continued health and happiness!

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by WTM45

Glad to hear that. You seem to be a man who has lived your life well with purpose and honor while raising strong children to be good citizens.
Continued health and happiness!
Thank you

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

Wokeness is a religion.

When a belief is founded on hard data and proven facts, it is not a religion. Most importantly, when that belief is subject to modification, change, or even abandonment subject to new data, it definitely is not a religion.

A) how do you define “faith”?

B) how do you define “hard data”?

Your entire set of objections above places as a foundational subject of faith that you think rationally, that you have the ability to process data in a (relatively) objective manner, and make predictions based upon that processing.

Objective based upon what? What is the objective standard against which you judge your own conclusions? Is it “just turtles all the way down”?

Ultimately everyone is religious. You included. You place your faith in your rational faculties as reliable. You believe in your mind and in the order of the universe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christianity has a history of real child abuse...strange you bring children into a discussion about Christianity? Not sure that was your best decision regarding the discussion.

However it is relevant as yet another reason why many are choosing to abandon Christianity.

A very good reason.

They all reject Christianity for the same reason. They want to be in charge of their own lives. Any excuse reason will be good enough.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

When a belief is founded on hard data and proven facts, it is not a religion.

Where is the hard data that explains how self aware beings made out of meat spontaneously squirted up out of a chunk of rock?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Some people might say, "Well,...lightning struck a mud puddle and it caused the first one celled life form to exist."

Well,...okay,....that's a bit hard to digest all by itself. Lightning strikes stuff all the time. But I've never heard anybody say that it creates even an extremely primitive life form when it does so. Lightning struck a tree next door a while ago. Not the first tadpole turned up as a result of it.

But anyway,...what force caused that original one celled live form to turn into a Peacock,...let alone a human being?

Humans attempt to explain the unexplainable with science.

Science has its place. But it resorts to bullshit when it attempts to explain the origin of even extremely basic life forms.

It doesn't even try to explain how a lump of meat produces consciousness.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by efw

Wokeness is a religion.

A) how do you define “faith”?

B) how do you define “hard data”?

Your entire set of objections above places as a foundational subject of faith that you think rationally, that you have the ability to process data in a (relatively) objective manner, and make predictions based upon that processing.

Objective based upon what? What is the objective standard against which you judge your own conclusions? Is it “just turtles all the way down”?

Ultimately everyone is religious. You included. You place your faith in your rational faculties as reliable. You believe in your mind and in the order of the universe.
You are correct in as much that when I see two apples, and then add two more apples, I now believe I see four apples.

You may call that faith. I call it hard data.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

“That you will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.”

But, I have it on good information that "There are no ATM machines in hell".
Page 5 of 81 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.