M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It works just dandy when belt fed.

laugh

It does!

I've shot one of those too!
You've both got THAT right!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For many years I used a 7mm Rem Mag for nearly everything in the USA. Then my wife got me a 308 for Christmas. I haven't shot the 7mm since. The 308 kills well, is accurate, not much recoil, and does what I need a rifle to do. It may not be as flashy as some rounds and it doesn't get the hype of the Creed but in the field it works. Period. Last year I fired 4 rounds during the hunting season and those 4 rounds took a black bear, a whitetail doe, a wild hog and a big bobcat.

And I also shot a lot of 308 in the military but they called it the 7.62x51. Shot it in the M-14, the MK-44 Mini-Gun and the MK-48 when I was with Riverine Squadron One. There is a dead Iraqi along the banks the Euphrates that can attest to the lethality of a 308 round fired by this Navy Chief.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t hear many folks complaining that they can’t get their .308 to shoot well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .308 excels at being the most accurate, shooter friendly, accessable, deadly, cartridge to date.

That makes it boring and subject to challenge.

Good luck with that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I was a kid I was obsessed with learning everything I could about guns, hunting, fishing, botany, zoology…basically anything that related to the outdoors (history too) I was reading. My dad was a city boy that had no interest in anything outdoor related but my dad recognized my love for it and tried to nourish my hunger for the outdoors.

I read the ballistics tables and had them committed to memory by the age of 10. Thinking back I laugh at a little kid talking about velocity, bullet weight, impact velocities, etc. 😂. My first centerfire rifle was a Remington 788 in 30-30. I liked the idea of an unusual chambering, although extremely common, for a bolt action rifle. I really was intrigued by the more exotic offerings and found the 30-06 extremely boring, excellent but boring. After making my way through dozens and dozens of different chamberings I kinda came full circle with boring and have settled on the .308 for my all around rifle. It’s a lightweight Sako and while it’s terribly boring, like Catholic nun in the missionary position boring, it works great.

Because of the accuracy, mild recoil and the ability of the .308 to punch well above its weight I decided to “standardize” our main rifles around the .308 case and have added a couple .243’s and I’m seriously considering a .338 Federal…I have 4 or 500 of the 185 bonded bullets that were CHEAP And I need a suitable platform for them, they are too light for my .338wm but perfect for the 33-308. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
When I was a kid I was obsessed with learning everything I could about guns, hunting, fishing, botany, zoology…basically anything that related to the outdoors (history too) I was reading. My dad was a city boy that had no interest in anything outdoor related but my dad recognized my love for it and tried to nourish my hunger for the outdoors.

I read the ballistics tables and had them committed to memory by the age of 10. Thinking back I laugh at a little kid talking about velocity, bullet weight, impact velocities, etc. 😂. My first centerfire rifle was a Remington 788 in 30-30. I liked the idea of an unusual chambering, although extremely common, for a bolt action rifle. I really was intrigued by the more exotic offerings and found the 30-06 extremely boring, excellent but boring. After making my way through dozens and dozens of different chamberings I kinda came full circle with boring and have settled on the .308 for my all around rifle. It’s a lightweight Sako and while it’s terribly boring, like Catholic nun in the missionary position boring, it works great.

Because of the accuracy, mild recoil and the ability of the .308 to punch well above its weight I decided to “standardize” our main rifles around the .308 case and have added a couple .243’s and I’m seriously considering a .338 Federal…I have 4 or 500 of the 185 bonded bullets that were CHEAP And I need a suitable platform for them, they are too light for my .338wm but perfect for the 33-308. 😉
I was practically the same kid. To the extent that I had hero’s it wasn’t NFL players it was gun and hunting authors. I had trajectory and ballistic tables memorized by 12.

My favorite author was Ross Seyfried back in the 80’s when Gun’s and Ammo was loaded with great gun writers rather that canned articles such as “.45 ACP Vs 9mm which is right for you” and other stupid [bleep].

Seyfried admitted later on that the 30/06 was a great cartridge but downplayed it as being boring and underpowered or at least that’s how I perceived it. I wasn’t a big 30/06 or .308 Win fan until later in life.

Theoretically the .308 Win shoots a fat bullet at lower velocity but bottom line, it works across a broad spectrum, is an accurate and efficient cartridge that’s easy to like. I’m become a fan as I’ve gotten older.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
That is a good question. Many will suggest that the .308 Winchester is a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a cartridge. At first glance, you may agree with that. After all, the .30-06 has more potential velocity if you break away from factory-loaded ammunition, but you're going to be forced into a long action. For hunting, why stop at the '06 when you can go straight to the .300 Winchester? If you're going short-action, the 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor offer less recoil and slightly higher ballistic coefficient bullets that provide for somewhat better trajectory. There is even the .260 Remington for the Creedmoor haters that potentially out-performs either of the other darlings if you want to be individualistic and perhaps a few more FPS of bragging rights. So why would anybody want a .308 Winchester?

Those claiming the .308 Winchester to be anemic must also claim the .300 Winchester is anemic. Let me explain. In a density altitude of 1050, a 175 gr from a .308 Winchester fired at 2670 fps will have 3 mRad or 63.78" of drop at 575 yards. In the wind, the same load would drift 1.4 mRad or 32.8" in a 10mph wind at full-value. Remaining energy is around 1260 FPE with a remaining velocity of 1800 fps. This is the expansion floor for most bullets. What pathetic performance, right?

Let us compare to the mighty .300 Winchester with a similar bullet. We can expect the same 175 gr bullet to reach around 2960; ~300 fps faster in the .300 Winchester. To reach the same drop values and remaining velocity we can extend our range to a whopping 675 yards in the same density altitude to achieve the same numbers. That's it, a .300 Winchester gets you 100 yards!

Or think of it this way, an animal hit with a .300 Winchester at 675 yards is the same as hitting the same animal with a .308 at 575 yards. According to polling on this very forum, most hunters won't shoot past 300 yards or so on game. How could the .308 Winchester be ineffective and anemic if it will maintain the velocity floor faster than the average hunter is willing to take the shot anyway? Few would argue the .300 Winchester as being "anemic' at 675 yards so the .308 Winchester is absolutely fine under 575.

So why not choose a 6.5 Creedmoor? Surely the .308 couldn't get close. To be honest, my Tikka CTR 20" could never achieve the advertised Creedmoor velocities. Others suggest 2740 fps is common with their rifles and a 140 gr bullet. My Tikka would get a mere 2550 fps with the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X factory ammo, but we'll go with the popular number. The 6.5 Creedmoor will maintain the 1800 fps velocity floor in the same atmosphere quoted above to approximately 710 yards, but has a lower energy of 1070 FPE. If we go equal energy to the .308 with the 175 class bullet, energy equalizes with the .308 Winchester at around the same 575 yards, though the Creedmoor will drift 1.07 mils and around an impressive 23" of wind drift.

So we must conclude that the .308 Winchester is more than an adequate cartridge for big game hunting North America to the distances most on this website would be willing to take a shot. That, however, doesn't answer the question, "where does the .308 Winchester EXCEL?" Sure, we can comment on the wide range of available bullet weights, great variety of adequate powders, quality brass availability, and one of the largest varieties of factory loaded ammo at a reasonable price, but those arguments have been beat to death and the same advantages exist for .30-06 and daresay the 6.5 Creedmoor these days. But where does the .308 REALLY excel?

As previously mentioned, my short little 20" 6.5 Creedmoor actually could not match my .308 Winchester's velocity in the same length gun. In fact, my 2o" .308 actually out-performed the 20" 6.5 Creedmoor in REAL WORLD shooting...and running the numbers, the .308 won on the ballistic calculator out past 700 yards! We're told this is impossible. In fact, I had to get to a 22" Creedmoor to match the 20" .308 Winchester and over 24" to get to the velocity most claim from the 6.5 Creedmoor--which is fine, and likely the length of test-barrels for Hornady's data. But that brings to light exactly where the .308 Winchester excels; under 22" barrels. With any of the other cartridges, you're really handicapping them going below 22".

Additionally, having several of the "hot" rounds including 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5 PRC, .270 Winchester, and several others, none of them have exhibited excellent barrel-life. My 6.5-284 was dead in as little as 900 rounds. A couple of .260 Remington barrels died between 1700 and 2000 rounds. I have a .270 on its last leg with an estimated 2000 rounds on it. 6.5 Creedmoor barrels have run around 2500 before giving up the ghost. 6.5x47 Lapua seems to be the only round that has made it beyond 3,000 rounds for me...with one exception: the .308 Winchester. Currently in my battery is a .308 with over 5,000 rounds on it. My previous .308 barrel approached 8,000 rounds. One high-end .308 semi-auto of mine has a "guarantee" of sub-MOA performance for 10,000 or a free barrel replacement! Yes, the .308 Winchester excels at barrel-life like no other cartridge capable of being a solid 400 yard big game cartridge! If you want a rifle you can use, practice, and master at the range and still take it out to kill game with, there is absolutely no equal to the .308 Winchester.

This ^^^

I have a CTR in a Bravo in 6.5 Creed. I wanted to try the cartridge. I like it, and like the rifle even more. Once the barrel is shot out it'll probably become a .308 Winchester.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
[quote=drop_point]

That is a good question. Many will suggest that the .308 Winchester is a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a cartridge. At first glance, you may agree with that. After all, the .30-06 has more potential velocity if you break away from factory-loaded ammunition, but you're going to be forced into a long action. For hunting, why stop at the '06 when you can go straight to the .300 Winchester? If you're going short-action, the 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor offer less recoil and slightly higher ballistic coefficient bullets that provide for somewhat better trajectory. There is even the .260 Remington for the Creedmoor haters that potentially out-performs either of the other darlings if you want to be individualistic and perhaps a few more FPS of bragging rights. So why would anybody want a .308 Winchester?

Those claiming the .308 Winchester to be anemic must also claim the .300 Winchester is anemic. Let me explain. In a density altitude of 1050, a 175 gr from a .308 Winchester fired at 2670 fps will have 3 mRad or 63.78" of drop at 575 yards. In the wind, the same load would drift 1.4 mRad or 32.8" in a 10mph wind at full-value. Remaining energy is around 1260 FPE with a remaining velocity of 1800 fps. This is the expansion floor for most bullets. What pathetic performance, right?

Let us compare to the mighty .300 Winchester with a similar bullet. We can expect the same 175 gr bullet to reach around 2960; ~300 fps faster in the .300 Winchester. To reach the same drop values and remaining velocity we can extend our range to a whopping 675 yards in the same density altitude to achieve the same numbers. That's it, a .300 Winchester gets you 100 yards!

Or think of it this way, an animal hit with a .300 Winchester at 675 yards is the same as hitting the same animal with a .308 at 575 yards. According to polling on this very forum, most hunters won't shoot past 300 yards or so on game. How could the .308 Winchester be ineffective and anemic if it will maintain the velocity floor faster than the average hunter is willing to take the shot anyway? Few would argue the .300 Winchester as being "anemic' at 675 yards so the .308 Winchester is absolutely fine under 575.

So why not choose a 6.5 Creedmoor? Surely the .308 couldn't get close. To be honest, my Tikka CTR 20" could never achieve the advertised Creedmoor velocities. Others suggest 2740 fps is common with their rifles and a 140 gr bullet. My Tikka would get a mere 2550 fps with the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X factory ammo, but we'll go with the popular number. The 6.5 Creedmoor will maintain the 1800 fps velocity floor in the same atmosphere quoted above to approximately 710 yards, but has a lower energy of 1070 FPE. If we go equal energy to the .308 with the 175 class bullet, energy equalizes with the .308 Winchester at around the same 575 yards, though the Creedmoor will drift 1.07 mils and around an impressive 23" of wind drift.

So we must conclude that the .308 Winchester is more than an adequate cartridge for big game hunting North America to the distances most on this website would be willing to take a shot. That, however, doesn't answer the question, "where does the .308 Winchester EXCEL?" Sure, we can comment on the wide range of available bullet weights, great variety of adequate powders, quality brass availability, and one of the largest varieties of factory loaded ammo at a reasonable price, but those arguments have been beat to death and the same advantages exist for .30-06 and daresay the 6.5 Creedmoor these days. But where does the .308 REALLY excel?

As previously mentioned, my short little 20" 6.5 Creedmoor actually could not match my .308 Winchester's velocity in the same length gun. In fact, my 2o" .308 actually out-performed the 20" 6.5 Creedmoor in REAL WORLD shooting...and running the numbers, the .308 won on the ballistic calculator out past 700 yards! We're told this is impossible. In fact, I had to get to a 22" Creedmoor to match the 20" .308 Winchester and over 24" to get to the velocity most claim from the 6.5 Creedmoor--which is fine, and likely the length of test-barrels for Hornady's data. But that brings to light exactly where the .308 Winchester excels; under 22" barrels. With any of the other cartridges, you're really handicapping them going below 22".

Additionally, having several of the "hot" rounds including 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5 PRC, .270 Winchester, and several others, none of them have exhibited excellent barrel-life. My 6.5-284 was dead in as little as 900 rounds. A couple of .260 Remington barrels died between 1700 and 2000 rounds. I have a .270 on its last leg with an estimated 2000 rounds on it. 6.5 Creedmoor barrels have run around 2500 before giving up the ghost. 6.5x47 Lapua seems to be the only round that has made it beyond 3,000 rounds for me...with one exception: the .308 Winchester. Currently in my battery is a .308 with over 5,000 rounds on it. My previous .308 barrel approached 8,000 rounds. One high-end .308 semi-auto of mine has a "guarantee" of sub-MOA performance for 10,000 or a free barrel replacement! Yes, the .308 Winchester excels at barrel-life like no other cartridge capable of being a solid 400 yard big game cartridge! If you want a rifle you can use, practice, and master at the range and still take it out to kill game with, there is absolutely no equal to the .308 Winchester.

This ^^^

I have a CTR in a Bravo in 6.5 Creed. I wanted to try the cartridge. I like it, and like the rifle even more. Once the barrel is shot out it'll probably become a .308 Winchester.[/quote.

Oh boy...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 308, 7'62 shines being belt fed. Would rather have a 708 for hunting

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ky221
Where does the .308 excel? Perhaps a better question would be where doesn't it excel? Just about every application I can think of......Hunting rifles, tactical rifles, benchrest rifles, military sniper roles, etc the .308 has been at or near the top of the heap at one point or another.

No matter how many different cartridges I've played with, I keep coming back to the .308 as it just makes so much sense. This little 700 weighs 7# with a 3-9 Zeiss conquest, stacks 150g Hornadys into neat little groups, is a dream to carry, ample horsepower for anything Im likely to hunt and does it all with mild recoil. I imagine this one will be with me until the end.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

how to change your pc screen resolution

I really like that rifle, very practical.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by SKane
Don’t hear many folks complaining that they can’t get their .308 to shoot well.

I hear the parent cartridge of the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 30 TC, put the 308 Westernchester out of production. Not as inherently accurate without a 30 degree shoulder, not as efficient without the shoulder pushed back, just like all of its progeny.

It has always shot horribly for me with heavier bullets, like the 175 SMK, so its not as good as the 30-06 either , LOL.

I wonder why it's still around?

FWIW, I've shot numerous 308's and there's none I've toyed with that haven't shot 5 rounds under an inch when seated to the "2.800" COL with decent brass and straight bullets, some of them even mixed, without even knowing where the lands started.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Load those old original Barnes .308 diameter 250 grain round nose bullets in one and get it up to 2300fps. Knocks the poop out of a moose. Not a lot of recoil. Pretty darned good for a camp rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can be housed in short actions which when coupled with correct contour barrel can produce light nicely balanced rifle. Huge advantage is large selection of cartridges almost anywhere in the world at attractive prices (when compared to competition in similar ballistic class).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by drop_point
Where does a .308 excel?

OUTSTANDING! Excellent post!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Load those old original Barnes .308 diameter 250 grain round nose bullets in one and get it up to 2300fps. Knocks the poop out of a moose. Not a lot of recoil. Pretty darned good for a camp rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"2,300" MIGHT be pushing it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I was practically the same kid.

Ditto...

Even found my old target last year (cleaning out my parent's house) to prove it...

I was SO PROUD of 1.5" back then... LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sold that 94 about 10 years ago with an ACOG clone on it...

Just because... John Wayne would have put an ACOG on a lever if he could have...

I no longer have inferior rifles...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Sold that 94 about 10 years ago with an ACOG clone on it...

Just because... John Wayne would have put an ACOG on a lever if he could have...

I no longer have inferior rifles...

Never seen a stubby trigger like that one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Why do you have to justify a rifle purchase?

Maybe you like typing.

One never has enough..............

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Never seen a stubby trigger like that one.

Damn thing jabbed me one to many times so I cut the fugger off... and rounded it.

FYI... still pulled fine.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.