Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to see a long range chit show.. Come up in August usually the 12-13th drive up the steese hwy to eagle summit sit back and watch.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
Hey UTP, just how many Elk have you Slayed?

He shares photos with reputable members via PMs, you haven't gotten yours yet?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Raeford
Hey UTP, just how many Elk have you Slayed?

He shares photos with reputable members via PMs, you haven't gotten yours yet?

Non-reputable[by preference].

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't seen 'em either, renegade and Conrad have though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I see this, but would you rather the non hunters have the conversation for us?

We’ve already lost the anti hunter. Do we want non hunters having the conversation of ethics at 1,900 yards for us? Like it or not, perception is reality.

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Who are Muley Fanatics to think they are somehow empowered to define "fair chase" to this guy?

Sound like democrats.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
There's a bunch of reasons for this for sure T, likely that the younger folks are working 50-60 hours a week trying to make ends meet as well as being in more urban centers where they simply cannot observe wildlife on a daily or weekly basis, you know?

For sure up here we're now at a no way to accrue points LEH system for local mountain goat and sheep and shorter seasons with more point restrictions for mulies. A couple years back they took away the late bow season which was during the rut, as too many mature bucks were being taken out of the winter range herds.

We're also not allowed to hunt with drones and I want to say that game cams which broadcast live to one's phone might be out too? Not sure about the game cams entirely but there was some discussion about it that I'd need to look up.

Thanks again and all the best to you this fall my friend. We'll both do our best to stay safe out there as we're hunting solo. wink

Dwayne

We are seeing a lot of the same in the states Dwayne…game cameras being outlawed, point restrictions, late season hunts going away, etc. I don’t like new laws at all, but do see that too many animals of certain maturity/species are being taken to meet the population objective goals. They have to do something to reduce harvest and no matter what route F&G goes to accomplish that, hunters will complain.

I don’t have the answers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
If you want to see a long range chit show.. Come up in August usually the 12-13th drive up the steese hwy to eagle summit sit back and watch.

Ha! Sit back with a case of beer and just watch.

I saw people on the verge of a fistfight arguing over a calf caribou with 4-5 bullet holes in it. Legs broke, gut shot, shoulder shot, etc. They were arguing that they live off game meat and “you’re taking food off my table”! Many of those guys burned $200 in gas getting their diesel pickup, 30 foot camper and new 4 door UTV up the Steese for that shltshow.

Good times!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most people can shoot better than they think. They just don't have the opportunity, or maybe desire, to find out. The majority of hunters never shoot a target beyond 100 yards.

"Two inches high at a hunerd is good out to bout as far as you can see em."
3 and a half on my rum was good to 430 with no holdover.

LOL.

How to say you know nothing about LR shooting without actually typing "I know nothing about LR shooting". laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So called long range hunting is not hunting, as in getting closer, like a puma? Very few times you can't get within at least 400 yards.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess to be a real hunter we have to jump on their back and choke them out.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
It would seem to me that we're likely not too, too far from having optics on a rifle which will take a laser shot for distance and then automatically adjust the aiming point. Then it'll only be the wind the shooter has to contend with won't it?

Dwayne,

I always enjoy your posts. I'm afraid that we've eclipsed those technology predictions by more than you may have imagined...

https://talonprecisionoptics.com/technology/how-it-works/
8SNAKE & horse1;
Good afternoon to you both, I hope that your respective locales are getting weather you need and you're both well.

Thanks kindly for the updates on the technology - holy smokes so we're here already then.

I'd read somewhere that they were close but wasn't aware how close and one can't get much closer than there can one?

It seems to me that like drones and trail cameras that call your phone with updates, there will likely be further restrictions put on technology.

Some of the restrictions we'll no doubt find less palatable than others.

I don't fly a drone so drone restrictions don't have an effect on my hunting - as an example. But I do know folks with drones and it's pretty cool what can be done with them.

Yet another example of the increasingly complex world we're attempting to negotiate through I suppose.

Thanks again, all the best to you both and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
1900 fuggin yards? No I'm not a fan. I keep my range at 25 yards, I shoot a recurve at all big game.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I guess to be a real hunter we have to jump on their back and choke them out.
Or go tribal likes the Polynesians do and jump them with a knife.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We cinder block hunt down here! Find a tree over a good trail, climb up bout 25’ and when a buck walks under….. drop the block! Oh…..we have to tape over the holes in the block so it won’t whistle on the way down! If we climb up another 10’…..that’s long range!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by killerv
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.
How about sitting inside a tree house with either a gun or bow, is that hunting?
Is sitting on the same stump for years waiting for a 50 yard shot hunting?
What exactly is considered hunting anyway?

That's an easy one - it's whatever a given person does as opposed to what everyone else does.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Long Range is subjective. If someone is competent and has enough gun to be effective go for it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by blanket
All long rangers should spend a lot of time on prairie dogs with their hunting rifles
Better yet Piute ground squirrels, (or any of their close cousins) locally known as whistle pigs.

[Linked Image from inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com]

Our local variety is about three inches tall when scurrying about on four legs. And Possibly six inches in the sentry position.

Folks used to ask why I would use 200 rounds of 30-06 hunting ammo every other weekend in the spring/early summer killing these rodents.

I always answered: If I can reliably kill whistle pigs from field positions out to 300 yds, I can hit the vitals of big game from those same positions.

No range finders, no turrets. Just estimate the range and hold over or under as needed with a 300 yd zero.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some years ago I had a list of farmers that wanted their prairie rats cleared out, regularly.
Towards hunting season I'd use whatever hunting rifle I was planning to use for elk/deer that year.
Prove your setup before you take the shot on game.

Long Range? I don't know. Have you proven you can make the shot on game by making accurate shots at distances beyond your personal limit?
Are you guesstimating holdover, distance, wind, your skill or have you proven it in practice?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Another angle to consider is that with equipment capable of shooting further and further out, more critters are being killed, potentially. This is aside from the ethics issue and the fact that more people are out there hunting (out west at least).

That means F&G has to reduce harvest for some critters such as mule deer in other ways. Shorter seasons, seasons outside of the rut and the biggest one…fewer and fewer tags.

The hot topic these days is that it is becoming tough to get tags (most especially for mule deer, sheep and the like), so would you all support regs limiting high tech equipment or shot distances if it meant having more tags available?

T Inman;
Good morning my friend, I hope that you're getting weather you can stand up there and you're healthy.

Thanks for the points to ponder, I always appreciate your input and thoughts on these subjects.

It would seem to me that we're likely not too, too far from having optics on a rifle which will take a laser shot for distance and then automatically adjust the aiming point. Then it'll only be the wind the shooter has to contend with won't it?

I'm reasonably certain that Swarovski and Burris have scopes with a laser on board that will do just that via lighting an LED on the vertical stadia for hold-over. Sig has a scope that pairs to a handheld LRF or their Binoc/LRF combo unit where the LRF ranges, talks to the scope, and the scope lights up an LED hold-over.

This state disallows any electronic device attached to the rifle.

But my handheld Leopold RX-1200i LRF, reads range, calculates incline or decline, displays "true ballistic range", and also displays hold over in MOA, mils, or inches based on your BC and MV. All you need do is twist the turrets.

Not much of a handicap.

Interestingly, I have never lasered an animal in the field. I have lasered the terrain before the critter walked under my sights.

We used (many years before a LRF was affordable to a working man) to travel through our hunting terrain in the summer. Ride along the trails and compete to guess range from a spot in the trail to a particular rock. Distance was verified by bullet impact vs aim point.

A bit of that goes a long way toward knowing your range when season opens and game is present.

Moot point now. But that is how we did it in the "old days".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[quote=SLM]I see this, but would you rather the non hunters have the conversation for us?

We’ve already lost the anti hunter. Do we want non hunters having the conversation of ethics at 1,900 yards for us? Like it or not, perception is reality.

When did we have the anti hunters on our side?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.