Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by duke61
Way too many animals are wounded in the process of so called "long range hunting", as I get older I take greater care to put the animal down as quickly and humanly as possible, don't care about "long range kill" bragging rights, that is for people with something to prove to themselves.
I feel strongly that more animals are wounded by hunters taking running shots at 40 to 50 yds, than are wounded by shooting at a standing target inside 500 yds.

Don't do running shots, don't do shots over about 200/250 yards.

I'm even a bit skeptical about "walking" shots! LOL!
I'm another one of those that have killed the majority (95%) of their deer within 75 yards.
Closest so far has been 7 steps. About 14 feet. My old crippled up butt, my "stride"(hobble?) is approximately 2 feet!
I'd even wager that well over 50% of my kills have been less than 50 yards.
I don't have an actual count, but I'm pretty sure I've taken more than 80 white tails.
I've probably taken more deer in Oklahoma the twenty years I've lived up here than I did in the 52 years I lived in Texas. In Oklahoma, I've taken as many as 6 deer legally each year. Most years only taking 3 or 4.
In Texas, I never took over 2 annually.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
An elk wounded at 600 yds in sagebrush with 4 inches of snow on the ground will not get lost like a wounded whitetail shot at 50 yds in a thicket back East.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by UselessEater
An elk wounded at 600 yds in sagebrush with 4 inches of snow on the ground will not get lost like a wounded whitetail shot at 50 yds in a thicket back East.

No, but he might be over two hills and a mile away by the time you get there.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some people more skilled at 1000 than most are at 100. Go to the local range this time of year and watch guys shoot 3 boxes of ammo and still not be on paper at 100.

I used to spend a whole Saturday before deer season at the range helping people sight in their rifles. It's the only time many of them shoot in a year and an argument could be made that many of them shouldn't hunt at any distance. But, if they enjoy themselves and like to get out and do things their way then good for them. I don't believe everyone has to do things the same way. I think the more people hunting the better for the future of the sport.

I can shoot 1000 at the range but haven't attempted it on big game because I've usually been able to get closer and field conditions are rarely as good as range conditions. Ive killed several big game animals out to near 600 but haven't been in a situation yet where I've had to shoot further.

I grew up bow hunting so I'll always get closer if I can. The long range guys that bug me a bit are the ones that will actually back up to make it a longer shot. One guy in Utah told me he had an elk at 970 so he back up 30 yards before shooting. That seems wring to me personally but everyone doesn't have to do things my way.

It's good to shoot enough to know your limits. I've passed on relatively close shots because I didn't have a great rest or I didn't feel confident in the shot at the moment.

Bb

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jnyork
What Is The Right Distance?

Depends on the hunter/shooter and the conditions. My personal limits are short but I have no issue with someone else taking a shot I'm not capable of so long as they've practiced and have demonstrated to their own satisfaction that they can make the shot reliably. My concerns come in where people, generally not nearly as experiences or skilled as they assume they are, start taking "maybe I can" and "hope I can" shots on game. I see no way to regulate that.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by killerv
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.

You would not feel that way if you hunted the open country of the West!
Agreed on the food plot thing

As an 'eastern' hunter I have never took a shot much over 200 yards.
I passed on by far the largest antlered whitetail that I've ever seen due to distance.
I guesstimated him at 400 yards out.
Used the rangefinder a couple years later....387
Not proficient here at those ranges.

I believe that by neglecting to include hunter in the quote along with eastern you have lost credibility with many (not me) here at the 'fire. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds like the Muley Fanatic guy needs to eat a bag of dicks.

Anything over 400 yards isn't spirting?

GFY.

The range they killed the antelope is more than twice as far as I would ever consider shooting at an animal. But more power to them if they can do it.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Long range target shooting is fun. Long range hunting = someone that needs to work on their hunting skills.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The distance an animal is taken at ,is irrelevant

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants to shoot long range for big game hunting. I highly encourage they participate In a 1k yard match if one is held in your area. We had one in June and several guys left very humbled. At one point the wind was down most were hitting the 10 ring on the f class LR target is 10 inches in diameter. Then a wind change come from the right caught most shooters by surprise several ended up with 8-9 o’clock on the 7 ring , the 7 ring is 44 inches in diameter. The only ones not caught were the seasoned f class shooters they are always watching the wind. Or find a range like bsa shoots at shoot steel. Have the same effects when it comes to wind.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I love threads where I get to determine how everyone else pursues game.

Hold on, let me warm up my keyboard.

I believe ethics in the field matters.... but don't believe it should be legislated, it's a personal choice.

Agreed, not to mention how would Fish & Games police it if it were legislated?

Define "long distance" vs. "normal" hunting distance?
Gonna check ammo for those evil long skinny boolits?
"Sorry son, your scope is just too powerful, not legal in this state".

..... what a shiet show that would lead to.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by killerv
Anything more than 100 yards I consider shooting, not hunting. Then again sitting over a foodplot and having a 30yard shot really isnt hunting either.

You would not feel that way if you hunted the open country of the West!
Agreed on the food plot thing

As an 'eastern' hunter I have never took a shot much over 200 yards.
I passed on by far the largest antlered whitetail that I've ever seen due to distance.
I guesstimated him at 400 yards out.
Used the rangefinder a couple years later....387
Not proficient here at those ranges.

I believe that by neglecting to include hunter in the quote along with eastern you have lost credibility with many (not me) here at the 'fire. wink

Hey, you trying to pick a fight or sumthin? grin

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Long range target shooting is fun. Long range hunting = someone that needs to work on their hunting skills.

I kinda sorta agree with this. I admire anyone who has the skill, as well as the rifle, to consistently hit targets at long ranges. I can only shoot out to 500 yards here on my setup, and it's fun to shoot steel at that range. I have killed a couple of coyotes, and a couple of whitetails at over 400 yards, but I much prefer shorter range shots, believing they are not only more ethical, but a testimony to one's ability as a hunter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I say get as close as you can, reasonably. If a thousand yards is the best you do...let her rip.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dave7mm
The distance an animal is taken at ,is irrelevant

dave

Not really. The reason a lot of guys say 300 yards is "sporting" but 600 yards is "not sporting" is that most guys can make a 300 yard shot (or at least think they can) but can't make a 600 yard shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"Ethical limits should be roughly 400 yards for rifles"

i mostly agree with the statement. However, that is my personal position, I don't think it has to be everyones.

The ability to followup and find the game in the territory you are hunting controls me more than any of my shooting limits.

I know a couple of long range shooters at our club that make hits at 1,000 yards pretty easily. i wouldn't be too upset if they started shooting at 600 yards in the right conditions.

In the areas I currently hunt big game I prefer a starting limit of 300 yards. It is hilly and brushy, windy too. Longer shots might be possible but recovery difficulty would increase.

If I were to hunt open prairie (and I might as one of my kids and his family are up there) I could see moving my max starting range to 400 yards on big game.

I do shoot at targets to 500 meters, sometimes further. I also take a few varmints at similar ranges. I guess I am not too worried about how a coyote dies or if I find him.

My experience in shooting at 500 yards and beyond convinces me that there are more variables than I want to contend with at that range, wind is the largest factor.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
I worked my ass off to get within a reasonable distance on a great bull only to have some guys start lobbing shots over my head at the animal from the ridge behind me. As they were shooting I walked right out into the park below the elk and shot 5 rounds into the hill side and threw my hands up in the air looking back at them. They were taking shots at him from every bit of 1000 yds. This was in the early years of the long range hunting “shooting” fad.
Was this 1965 Western Idaho by any chance?

Could have been my Dad. Every Saturday morn it was a race to the top of the mountain with his Pennsylvania machine gun (Rem 760 in 30-06) and 1 mag in the gun, four more mags in his pockets, and 1 to 2 more boxes of Win Silvertips in the saddle bags.

Dad liked to brag about his 1/2 to 3/4 mile kills with a semi buckhorn rear and gold bead front sight.

One day, I asked: :How can you aim at a deer 1000 yds away with a 3 moa bead on the front of your rifle. You can not even see the deer or elk behind the bead?"

His answer: You silly, silly boy. You don't aim at the deer. You aim at the rock 20 or 25 feet above the deer's back.

Year after year, decade after decade we revisited the same ridges and canyons. Dad would point to the spots he had shot from and show us where the game had been standing.

Later in life, as good LRFs became available, I was able to lazer a few of his kills. They fell short of his estimates a bit. But, still, some were pushing 700 and 800 yds. Pretty damned impressive for an old Gamemaster with open sights. Only caveat being, he used 12 to 16 rounds and dirt spashes to walk impact onto target.

When I started hunting, I knew there had to be a better way. I set about learning how to make one shot kills.

Dad finally came to believe I could actually shoot, the day he watched me kill five different grouse from the trail coming down the mountain. Each with a head/neck shot. Each paced off at 70 to 90 yds. Each with a 165 gr ballistic tip over 60 gr H4831, and a CCI 250 primer. All from an old Win 670 30-06 with a Weaver 2-7x32.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It’s not my job to tell people how to hunt or shoot. I do know that if you can consistently kill prairie dogs at long distance a deer looks pretty big with a much larger kill zone. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've developed the real skills to be confident at "long range" -- and those who practice know where "long range" is -- then take the shot. But buying the gear or having it doesn't necessarily translate into DRT. Get the right tools for the job, learn to use the tools, and get the job done. If you fail, then shame, shame on you.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No deer, antelope or elk that I've shot ever heard the shot before the bullet hit him. Is that non-sporting? Dumbasses.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.