Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by jnyork
What Is The Right Distance?

Depends on the hunter/shooter and the conditions. My personal limits are short but I have no issue with someone else taking a shot I'm not capable of so long as they've practiced and have demonstrated to their own satisfaction that they can make the shot reliably. My concerns come in where people, generally not nearly as experiences or skilled as they assume they are, start taking "maybe I can" and "hope I can" shots on game. I see no way to regulate that.

Knew a guy who was a great camping pardner. Lotta fun to be around, never shirked chores, a great cook, always willing to do whatever was needed around camp. Dispose of garbage or "kitchen" cleanup.....BUT.....he was ALSO well know for his 8 shot, 600 yard kills! šŸ˜”

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
There will be no end to this ethics, stuff it it gets legislated. What is hard for one, to make the shot, is a piece of cake for another. What a nightmare for LEO's ,when trying to say ,the shooter was 10 yards to far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The longest shot I've made is a little over 900 yds on a hog, have killed a few deer at 4-500, most have been under 200 yd, did almost hit a coyote at well over 1000 using Kentucky windage with the 45-70 guide gun, hit 3 ft to the right of it on the 3rd shot. two members here witnessed that, I was holding what I figured was 75ft over it. It took off before I could adjust for windage.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
When I started hunting in the early 1980's several of my friends were bow hunters, the dirty little secret was the amount of wounded animals that escaped and it was not talked about.
I suspect the same happens when the average Joe buys a Gunwerks super long range blaster "system" and thinks he can buy ability.

Ethical? Not?

This isn't what I expect from a good hunter, but for the sake of selling a few guns, Gunwerks thinks this is a good endorsement, even when the kid missed the elk, it was a long range and that is all that mattered. I don't care for the shot and care less for the video...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Seems to me that it would be mighty difficult to find a blood trail if the animal doesn't drop right there. I've had a tough time finding game in sagebrush that were dry. .

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many time is this discussion going to come up on this site? And is it going to get any more ridiculous in the 500th discussion as it was in the first?

I know lots of guys who have a tough time hitting a deer at 50 yards, much less 400, but I would never tell them they should get closer.... wink

And when I'm lining up a shot- no matter if it is 125 yards or 600 yards, I don't really worry too much about what some yahoo on 24hourcampfire thinks I should be doing... but I do think about whether I can make the shot while I am setting up. Do I have a sufficient rest? Is there any obstacles in the way? What is the actual distance and what does my dope sheet say? Can I retrieve the animal from where it will drop? What will I cook for dinner?

A lot of you guys worry way too much about what others do and not enough about how you come off when spouting your "world according to me" opinions.... it's almost as if a lot of guys on this site forget that some of us hunt in different situations than you do and need different skill sets to accomplish our goal...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
No deer, antelope or elk that I've shot ever heard the shot before the bullet hit him. Is that non-sporting? Dumbasses.

Well then, you should do what I do. Stand up and sing the first few bars of The Star Spangled Banner before you shoot, that'll make it more sporting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You can't regulate the range of a shot a hunter takes at big game. I've seen and heard a bunch of terrible shooting by friends and clients that come here hunting. I like when some dumbass says "it was a clean miss" some people get really excited. How the he'll do you miss a deer with a scoped high powered rifle?

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hasn't our very own Johnny Vicarious Burns made a claim that he started the long range hunting trend in a post here.
And saying he was kinda a big deal because of it.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My thoughts on long range hunting

1) It is not of any interest to me, i prefer to limit my shots to about 200 yards maximu, but this what i enjoy

2) If you enjoy it and are proficient with right equipment, no skin off my nose. Enjoy what you like to do.

3) if you choose to shoot game at very long rabges ( however uou may define that for yourself) please own the right equipment and practice enough to accurate at those ranges.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hasn't our very own Johnny Vicarious Burns made a claim that he started the long range hunting trend in a post here.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

He invented it according to assskisscamuglia.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like others, I have seen plenty of "long range" kill shot videos.

Ya, there is a difference between hunting and shooting.

Personally, I would prefer those shooters stick to steel, but I can't name a magical yardage cut-off point.

I do know this: you will not see the video of the shooter hitting the animal in the guts, or ass, never to be found. Those don't get posted.

Last edited by SupFoo; 09/19/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SupFoo
I do know this: you will not see the video of the shooter hitting the animal in the guts, or ass, never to be found. Those don't get posted.

Actually, there was some retard posting a vid of some elk getting its ear blasted off at 950 yards on this site several years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by SupFoo

Actually, there was some retard posting a vid of some elk getting its ear blasted off at 950 yards on this site several years ago.
That might have been John Burns. I seem to recall his long range elk kill took more than one shotā€¦ I could be mistaken thoā€¦ but not about the retard partā€¦ laugh
But in all fairness, he did have kyles balls in his hand when he pulled the trigger grin

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Was at the range with my buddy couple weeks ago. He was getting his rifled dialed in for a Moose/Caribou hunt. He kept fiddling with his turret. I go that thing have a zero stop on it. He goes its not that, its this pos turret I got from Wyoming arms. I started laughing I said the guy that owns that, is a turd and I wouldn't buy chit from him.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 79S

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Was at the range with my buddy couple weeks ago. He was getting his rifled dialed in for a Moose/Caribou hunt. He kept fiddling with his turret. I go that thing have a zero stop on it. He goes its not that, its this pos turret I got from Wyoming arms. I started laughing I said the guy that owns that, is a turd and I wouldn't buy chit from him.
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about long range trapping. Is that OK?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I watch NRL Hunter matches on You Tube. Good shooters w/ exotic gear shooting from difficult positions using everything from bags to tripods. It is rare for every stage to get cleaned by any participant. A good hunter should shoot enough to know his limitations and restrict himself accordingly. It takes a lot of practice to know your limits in all conditions of distance,position wind and slope angle. It only takes being honest w/ yourself to pass on shots that are a "probably, most of the time".

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
What about long range trapping. Is that OK?

Sure! Set the trap house at 100 yards and use an intercom to call for the bird.
Shouldn't be any harder than long range skeeting!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by duke61
Way too many animals are wounded in the process of so called "long range hunting", as I get older I take greater care to put the animal down as quickly and humanly as possible, don't care about "long range kill" bragging rights, that is for people with something to prove to themselves.
I feel strongly that more animals are wounded by hunters taking running shots at 40 to 50 yds, than are wounded by shooting at a standing target inside 500 yds.

Iā€™ve seen rodeos on both sides of the isle, but as a general rule I think youā€™re correctā€¦ I wonā€™t endorse some jackass aiming 10 feet high and hoping for the best but I think people taking jackass shots like that arenā€™t as common as some make them out to be. The bigger threat of wounding critters comes from people taking any shot theyā€™re not comfortable with regardless of range: not just those taking ā€œlongā€ shots, whatever that is defined as.

Thereā€™s several people on this very thread bitching about long range hunters that I wouldnā€™t trust to make a 50 yard shot responsibly, based on some of the things they have posted in the past.

I know a couple of the Wyoming people quoted in the OPā€™s article and theyā€™re not the kinds of people whom Iā€™d take hunting advice from.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.