Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It is supposed to be 98 here in N Arkansas tomorrow. I would ride the dog in the vehicle with Air conditioning.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
People and dogs lived for a decade without AC

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your not concerned about cost pod are great. They will store and deliver them to you.

[Linked Image from ]
R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Some of you guys are helpful. I appreciate that. Others are straight up [bleep]. Some think I must be made of money- just throw or give your stuff away they say, buy it again in Arkansas at these inflated prices with sales tax added on top. I figure I know how to throw away, sell and give away stuff. I did that before moving to Michigan from Walla Walla, WA and again before moving from Michigan to Oregon. We do not have a lot of stuff left but still enough to pretty well fill a Uhaul or Penske truck. I guess I should give or throw away my bear rug, cougar rug, several guns, lots of ammo and reloading supplies, several cases of wine and on and on. Give me some credit guys. We will figure it out. Again, I do appreciate the helpful responses as always.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look into the pods thing.

My son used them when moving from VA. and the Daughter from Waco and they worked well.

They keep them in storage until you call and tell them where and when you want the pod delivered.

If i was moving across the country they would be what we would use.

IC B2

R
rufous Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Plainsman, I'll look into the pods. I didn't realize that they would store them until we are ready for it to be delivered.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
People and dogs lived for a decade without AC
Mine live outside EVERYDAY

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rufous
Some of you guys are helpful. I appreciate that. Others are straight up [bleep]. Some think I must be made of money- just throw or give your stuff away they say, buy it again in Arkansas at these inflated prices with sales tax added on top. I figure I know how to throw away, sell and give away stuff. I did that before moving to Michigan from Walla Walla, WA and again before moving from Michigan to Oregon. We do not have a lot of stuff left but still enough to pretty well fill a Uhaul or Penske truck. I guess I should give or throw away my bear rug, cougar rug, several guns, lots of ammo and reloading supplies, several cases of wine and on and on. Give me some credit guys. We will figure it out. Again, I do appreciate the helpful responses as always.

Wooo! Settle down, Rofous! 😂
I don’t think anyone actually cares how or what you haul to Arkansas. Or how the dog gets there.

I do know moving is a huge pain in the azz, and “de-cluttering” makes it a bit easier/less costly.

Good luck!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyway hoping some of you might have some bright ideas for me to consider.

Consider giving one of the large moving companies a call. International and American are the two highest rated. We're planning our move in January and I've been surprised at how reasonable the quotes have been for packing and shipping a three bedroom house, garage and workshop. This will be move number 18 in my life and I'm perfectly happy not to touch another box and really happy not to move a whole lot of stationary woodworking equipment.

You may be late in the game for them but they may have a partial load going that direction, or an empty truck leaving Oregon that needs a load so worth a call.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yea but he was talking about locking it up in a car that is being towed for 3 or 4 days.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RicG
On our last move we used PODS. Worked out well.

This. Takes a metric sh*t ton of the BS and anxiety out of the equation. And your cross country drive will be a lot more stress free.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The PODS method sounds like the way to go.

We last moved 20 years ago and it was a corporate transfer for my bride. The company paid for the whole thing - packing, loading, transport and unloading. Even had an extra vehicle they transported. We did have to rent a cargo van to carry guns, ammo, gas powered tools, propane tanks and such as the moving company either would not move them or I didn't want them to. The moving guys even got to move about 700 pounds of lead for my "fishing weights" . . .

Good luck with your move.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
PODS doesn't work so well in rural areas. They will only pick up and drop off within 50 miles of one of their facilities. If you don't meet both criteria, you're SOL.

They will also charge you a rental fee each and every month regardless. It can make sense, but be wary of extras adding up.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For us, moving from Reno, NV to Carthage, MS, renting a moving truck was far more expensive than using PODS. And using UHaul U-Boxes was less expensive than using PODS.

1. The expense is less because you have to RETURN the moving truck or PAY to have it returned.
2. U-Box with UHaul was better than PODS because it had better delivery options, cost less, had each shipping box (we used 3) completely covered in waterproof heavy vinyl, had us put our own padlock on the box and we held the only key, made the box available to us to open up and grab stuff when it was in storage at its destination before they were delivered, kept stuff in storage for a reasonable fee until we were set up in a house in MS, then put the boxes right on our driveway for us to unload.
3. I didn't have to drive a 20+ foot truck across the country in all kinds of weather - we only took what we wanted to have with us, took our time and drove our own 4WD, vacationing along the way.

Last edited by czech1022; 09/20/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
P.S. Ask your storage unit manager directly if they can accommodate a U-Box sitting on a small trailer for a couple of hours. It didn't take long for us to move things to the box from our storage unit (we hired two day laborers to help) and then we drove it away to the UHaul yard. They take care of it from there.

And with UHaul, it's not some huge box that only a special rig can deliver/take away. Some storage units don't have space for that stuff.

Instead, you get a normal sized pickup truck with a normal size trailer at the UHaul yard - they put the box on the trailer for you. You park the truck at the door of your storage unit and load the box while it's on the trailer. Then you drive the truck/trailer back to UHaul. If you need several boxes, you can pick up another one to do the same thing over again or even wait a day or two to load the others.

Last edited by czech1022; 09/20/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dess
PODS doesn't work so well in rural areas. They will only pick up and drop off within 50 miles of one of their facilities. If you don't meet both criteria, you're SOL.

They will also charge you a rental fee each and every month regardless. It can make sense, but be wary of extras adding up.

Not sure of that. We live about 95 north of Atlanta. This area is rather rural. The PODS facility was in Atlanta. We stored there and it was delivered to my driveway from there.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RicG
Originally Posted by Dess

Not sure of that. We live about 95 north of Atlanta. This area is rather rural. The PODS facility was in Atlanta. We stored there and it was delivered to my driveway from there.

I'm glad they worked with you on distance. We had a POD last year and 50 miles radius was the info quoted to me.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Depending on where he lives exactly, he is likely to be within 50 miles of Fort Smith or Fayetteville…or pretty close.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot 79S, when I was down in Arkansas last month the only thing I saw cheaper was gasoline and property taxes. Sales tax is 10% in some areas and fast food has an 11.75% sales tax on it in places. Housing in C. AR is relatively small, so a comparable house to what I have here is only about $25-$40K cheaper now. When we first moved here, housing in AK was a lot more expensive. My mom was looking to build a small new house, $170 a sq Ft is the going rate now.
Seeing as how my job pays less, I’ll stay here for the time being. Heck I had to go to Wal-Mart to get some groceries, milk without tax was higher than the Wal-Mart here and the meat all about the same price.

Last edited by Hudge; 09/20/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Anyway hoping some of you might have some bright ideas for me to consider.

Consider giving one of the large moving companies a call. International and American are the two highest rated. We're planning our move in January and I've been surprised at how reasonable the quotes have been for packing and shipping a three bedroom house, garage and workshop. This will be move number 18 in my life and I'm perfectly happy not to touch another box and really happy not to move a whole lot of stationary woodworking equipment.

You may be late in the game for them but they may have a partial load going that direction, or an empty truck leaving Oregon that needs a load so worth a call.
Not a bad idea here ^^^

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.