Kids being born

Mom being hospitalized

Grandmother being hospitalized

College mid term exams

Me being hospitalized

Tenants trashing rentals and skipping town

Craptastic surprise vacation

Mrs slumlord deciding to build a new bathroom week before season

Real estate co approving bid on roofing 12 apt buildings. Grrrr!!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Year before last dropped a Tri pod on my foot, broke my foot. Ended up with trauma induced gout, not good. Bought me an electric bike to ride back and forth to my stand. Hunted the best I could?

I remember many years had to work and never got off a day to hunt. I retired in Jan. of this year and don’t have a place to hunt this year. Will next year. I’ll just bass fish and get ready for bass tournaments come next Jan.

Thanks, Billy
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Doesn’t count as just before, but my dad died in the woods while hunting on the third day of the season, and every year I just with the rifle he was using on the anniversary.

Old70

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old70
Doesn’t count as just before, but my dad died in the woods while hunting on the third day of the season, and every year I just with the rifle he was using on the anniversary.

Old70
Man that's a great way to go in my opinion. Sitting in the deer woods or on a creek bank.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
1990 in the hospital fighting cancer and infections. Was back at it the following year and every year after. This might be my last year, though. Don't have much motivation anymore.

Hunted two days last year. Killed a buck opening day of rifle and a doe opening day of muzzleloader. Luckiest year ever.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Buckshot and shoot opposite shoulder or I can come hunt your stands and get you meat. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on how much you want to hunt. I had my right knee replaced just over a month before the opener. Shot the 2nd best deer of my life opening day. Dragged him to the truck but couldn't get him in the bed. Tied him by the horns to the bumper and dragged him back to camp . Between 2 and 3 miles.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Virginian2
I've got appointments for cataract surgery 10/27 for right eye and 11/29 for left eye. Going to see if I can get those appointments changed.

They told me no high power rifles for a month after mine. Try to do it first thing after the season is over. Are you getting the multifocal lenses? I can see near and far, no cheaters no mo!!! If you are in the Houston area, Dr. Jeff Whitsett is the best.
Good to know. I'll be up in Erie all next week for Steelhead, my right eye has a major haze in it and I know I'll need cataract surgery soon. Thought I'd schedule it before PA buck season, guess I'll have to wait.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The afternoon before the opening morning I wanted to just shoot a few more arrows and I had the top lamination on my longbow delaminate. The fiberglas lamination came straight down and into the web of my hand between the thumb and the next finger. It went in about an inch. I was standing there looking at it and thinking it was going to be sore in the morning. The Dr. that put in the stitches asked if I had a spare bow, knowing I was going the next morning stitches or not. I don't remember if I saw a deer the next morning but I do remember that hand taking most of deer season to heal up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
Depends on how much you want to hunt. I had my right knee replaced just over a month before the opener. Shot the 2nd best deer of my life opening day. Dragged him to the truck but couldn't get him in the bed. Tied him by the horns to the bumper and dragged him
back to camp . Between 2 and 3 miles.
George
I haul an old section of ladder stand in the back of my truck (along with a big ole plastic sled to drag it out), tie the deer on the ladder, lift and slide right in.
After hunting and deboning Antelope out west last year I'll say my day's of dragging a long ways are over. If they're close no problem but if more than half mile I'll leave the carcass there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
2013, I spent deer season in the hospital w/ blood clots in my leg and lungs. Shot a buck opening day of muzzleloader a short time after I got out.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is how you hunt with a bad shoulder.

AR with a laser. You’re welcome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small cut on my hand caused a staph infection in my entire arm, thought I might lose it. Thank God for antibiotics & IV bags

Romans 5:1
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Finances demanded I sell two of them the next summer

Should have kept the guns- - - - -and sold the wife!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably should have made this my first reply but 2006, first day am saw the buck I didn't get a shot at in archery season (wide 8 point, nice buck) and he saw me moving picking up my rifle. Couldn't quit coughing, called my Dr at lunch and told him. They said come in at lunch. When I got there Dr told me tests from the Friday before (Pa used to start on Monday) showed I had CHF and Pnemonia. Said you're going to hospital so no afternoon hunting for me. Spent all week in hospital, best friend shot that buck the first Saturday. I got out Monday and hunted the next week with no results.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I came down with pneumonia two days before the opener one year. Missed the whole season.

Can you even own a gun in NY? Gotta kill deer bare handed?😂

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Aug 9, 2019
Total right shoulder replacement.
Doctor says "NO recoil ... for 2 YEARS!" 🤯
As soon as the PT was over, I put away fixed action firearms.
No bolt or falling block rifles, except .22LR.
No pump or breakover shotguns.
My current deer rifle is an AR15.
Stole (🤫 $150) a Remington "Sportsman" 16 gauge. Sent it to Briley for choke tubes.
The AR is REALLY great in the recoil department.
The shotgun, being a semi auto, is pretty good. I would NOT want to spend an afternoon on a trap range! ...or a dove hunt. Great for turkeys, squirrel, etc. I won't shoot slugs or buckshot.

P.S. went to south Texas in December for the winter. Promptly tripped over some old hog wire and fell directly on that shoulder! 😖
Hurt like hell, but the surgeon said everything was still good and in place! WHEW!

Last edited by martinstrummer; 09/20/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Here is how you hunt with a bad shoulder.

AR with a laser. You’re welcome.

^^^^This!^^^^

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I came down with pneumonia two days before the opener one year. Missed the whole season.

Can you even own a gun in NY? Gotta kill deer bare handed?😂

Steel toes man! Steel toes!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last summer I buggered my left shoulder. It was 1 torn tendon, not the rotator cuff. I had surgery in December and then I think I damaged it again this summer and suspect I'll have to have it redone.
Back to last hunting season...my surgery was delayed several months until Dec. due to the covid nonsense. My elk hunt was in November. I was able to shoot and got a nice cow. My partner was with me and also got a cow. I also was able to get my RZR to them and drag them to the truck where I winched them into the bed.

It could have been a whole lot worse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,571
Posts18,491,880
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.