Page 13 of 81 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 80 81
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Some folks believe that they know. Which is not the same as knowing.

You are correct......

Believing means that you have chosen a truth, but ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.
Believing always leaves room for doubt, but ‘knowing’ leads to confidence.
Believing is blind trust, while ‘knowing’ is trusting with awareness.

So, I know that I believe in the God of the Bible...

Chosen a truth? Something should be proven to be true....in which case there is no need to 'choose the truth' because it has been clearly shown to be true.

What you mean is choose a faith, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc....even then it's not a matter of choice, but conviction.

What you call 'knowing' is faith, not factual knowledge.

Nor is conviction the same as choice. they are two different things. You don't choose to be convinced, you are either convinced by whatever is being presented, or you are not....there may be a variety of reasons for a conviction, or lack of it.

So what is the argument? We are stating the same.........you originally said...

"Some folks believe that they know. Which is not the same as knowing." (see above)

I did say you are correct...did I not?

Since you stated your idea of believing vs knowing.... I stated my three ideas about believing vs knowing...and I'll expand to make crystal clear...

1st meaning.... Believing means that you have chosen a truth...to me that is the TRUTH... I cannot prove it...and I have FAITH that it is the TRUTH... ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.....and I am certain.

2nd meaning... Believing always leaves room for doubt, but ‘knowing’ leads to confidence....another idea, simple as can be.

3rd meaning... Believing is blind trust, while ‘knowing’ is trusting with awareness....the last idea....seems simple too.

Please don't try to muddy the waters... Leave out conviction vs choice, as we already discussed that a few months ago....

Illegitimi non carborundum

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's already started with some churches allowing sexual sin and abortion.
Originally Posted by antlers
Should churches cherry-pick which type of sin they’ll allow, given the fact that every single church goer is a sinner, as well as every single pastor and deacon and elder, etc….? Honest question man. Would Jesus Himself give the cold shoulder to those folks…?
Originally Posted by Ringman
Perhaps you are extrapolating your life onto the general church. I, like Apostle Paul, am not aware of sin in my life. Over the years I have repented when someone loved me enough to confront me from God's Word, the Bible. Some of us are not practicing sinners. First John teaches those who practice sin are of the devil. I don't. And based on your posts I don't perceive you are either.
I get from Paul’s writings that…even though he is a follower of Jesus…he is still pretty honest, deeply so, about his ongoing struggle with sin. And I can relate.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by krp
I will say this... man is corrupted, from Adam and Eve, to Moses and David. The bible is written by men, it is corrupted. It's the account of man reaching to God with all the good and bad. God reached back to man with Christ, who didn't leave one personal written word. Then written words are continued again after the resurrection, man was reaching back to God. No matter how well meaning and sincere any man is in his attempt to 'speak' for God, they will always be interpreting it through the human deficiency.

To say such a thing is a slap in that face of a sovereign God who is in fact very much control of all things, most of all His word in the form of the Bible. This book is the direct & true word of God for our direction and instruction. If this is not true, then that would put every word into question and would be in it's whole, a lie. God caused man to write it and He has more than enough power to preserve His word in truth for all time.

The Bible as a living Word of God, came by divine inspiration, as attested to by Apostle Peter as he writes, “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:20-12).
The Mormons and Moslems make this same claim about their books and by the way both of them accept Jesus. And just as did the "Christian" religion and the Hebrew religion they have all massacred people in the pursuance of their religion.

The biggest problem I see with most religion is how bad they make God appear to be.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by krp
I will say this... man is corrupted, from Adam and Eve, to Moses and David. The bible is written by men, it is corrupted. It's the account of man reaching to God with all the good and bad. God reached back to man with Christ, who didn't leave one personal written word. Then written words are continued again after the resurrection, man was reaching back to God. No matter how well meaning and sincere any man is in his attempt to 'speak' for God, they will always be interpreting it through the human deficiency.

To say such a thing is a slap in that face of a sovereign God who is in fact very much control of all things, most of all His word in the form of the Bible. This book is the direct & true word of God for our direction and instruction. If this is not true, then that would put every word into question and would be in it's whole, a lie. God caused man to write it and He has more than enough power to preserve His word in truth for all time.

The Bible as a living Word of God, came by divine inspiration, as attested to by Apostle Peter as he writes, “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:20-12).
The Mormons and Moslems make this same claim about their books and by the way both of them accept Jesus. And just as did the "Christian" religion and the Hebrew religion they have all massacred people in the pursuance of their religion.

The biggest problem I see with most religion is how bad they make God appear to be.

Christians don't need to make the God of the Bible "appear bad". God does that all by Himself. Consider the Flood. Puppies and kittens and beautiful young virgins suffered His wrath. God ordered Joshua to kill men, women, children, and their livestock.

God even claims He killed His Own Son for the atonement of sin. And God is vengeful and will send all who reject His Son to an eternal punishment.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Christians don't need to make the God of the Bible "appear bad". God does that all by Himself. Consider the Flood. Puppies and kittens and beautiful young virgins suffered His wrath. God ordered Joshua to kill men, women, children, and their livestock.

God even claims He killed His Own Son for the atonement of sin. And God is vengeful and will send all who reject His Son to an eternal punishment.
I wonder what happens to all those billions of souls scattered all over the earth that never got to read about Jesus, never heard of him, and sure never saw him. They didn't know about God's son and didn't have the opportunity to accept or reject him. That is a problem.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I have asked that same question before and never gotten an answer.
The Mormons try to solve that problem through their baptism for the dead. But I don't know how they handle the folks with no written record of their existence.
The Jews didn't take to kindly to the Mormons baptizing their dead ancestors.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
God is Infinite.

Prove it - that he/she/it exists, and then that he/she/it is infinite.
Prove otherwise ....... You cannot.

The onus is on the one making the claim.

How did you disprove all the other gods?

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
God is Infinite. Therefore cannot be invented.
I could easily invent a god to the same level of proof as yours, and that is a fuck-ton better than any other god out there.
That implies that yours would be different. If yours was different, then reality would have to change.

How would yours be different?

Mine would match reality.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's already started with some churches allowing sexual sin and abortion.
Should churches cherry-pick which type of sin they’ll allow, given the fact that every single church goer is a sinner, as well as every single pastor and deacon and elder, etc….?
Honest question man. Would Jesus Himself give the cold shoulder to those folks…?
Allowing sin in the church and asking sinners to repent are at opposite ends of the scale. Everyone sins but the believers are expected to repent and ask for forgiveness. If they won't do it and continue in their sin, then it's time for the church to step in. In worst cases, the person should be ejected. That's Biblical.
Now we have churches allowing homosexual marriages and all other kinds of perversion. Christ did love everyone, but those who reject his teaching in that manner are cooked.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I wonder what happens to all those billions of souls scattered all over the earth that never got to read about Jesus, never heard of him, and sure never saw him. They didn't know about God's son and didn't have the opportunity to accept or reject him. That is a problem.

That's a problem for you, but not for God. God says He will send His angels in "fire dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus."

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You are correct......

Believing means that you have chosen a truth, but ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.

Chosen a truth? Something should be proven to be true....in which case there is no need to 'choose the truth' because it has been clearly shown to be true.

What you mean is choose a faith, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc....even then it's not a matter of choice, but conviction.

Nor is conviction the same as choice. they are two different things. You don't choose to be convinced, you are either convinced by whatever is being presented, or you are not....there may be a variety of reasons for a conviction, or lack of it.

"Some folks believe that they know. Which is not the same as knowing." (see above)

Since you stated your idea of believing vs knowing.... I stated my three ideas about believing vs knowing...and I'll expand to make crystal clear...

1st meaning.... Believing means that you have chosen a truth...to me that is the TRUTH... I cannot prove it...and I have FAITH that it is the TRUTH... ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.....and I am certain.

2nd meaning... Believing always leaves room for doubt, but ‘knowing’ leads to confidence....another idea, simple as can be.

3rd meaning... Believing is blind trust, while ‘knowing’ is trusting with awareness....the last idea....seems simple too.

Please don't try to muddy the waters... Leave out conviction vs choice, as we already discussed that a few months ago....

'Chosen' a truth implies that what you have 'chosen' is in fact true and factual.

As that is not necessarily the case, you could be wrong, the distinction lies between faith, believing that what you have is true and factual, and what is actually true and factual regardless of what people believe.

And again, we don't choose to be convinced. The process of conviction is more complex than 'choice.'

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That's a problem for you, but not for God. God says He will send His angels in "fire dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the Gospel of our Lord Jesus."
Well OK, but what about those billions? Is there reincarnation? God cannot be unjust.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hastings, Your mule reminds me, on a field trip, a child says, that must be a Chrisian mule, he looks so sad. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Hastings, Your mule reminds me, on a field trip, a child says, that must be a Chrisian mule, he looks so sad. laugh
I like jackasses. They have a lot good traits.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well OK, but what about those billions? Is there reincarnation? God cannot be unjust.

That verse answers your question.

God's Word tells us the physical comes first, then the spirit. That leaves no room for reincarnation.

God appears to be unjust to me. But God is Infinite and I'm a finite being begging my position. I don't know God. He knows me.

My constant hope is in John 6:68.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You are correct......

'Chosen' a truth implies that what you have 'chosen' is in fact true and factual.

As that is not necessarily the case, you could be wrong, the distinction lies between faith, believing that what you have is true and factual, and what is actually true and factual regardless of what people believe.

And again, we don't choose to be convinced. The process of conviction is more complex than 'choice.'

"Chosen' a truth implies that what you have 'chosen' is in fact true and factual".

No, I realize, not factual to you or other atheist.....JUST ME and a lot of Christians.

Illegitimi non carborundum

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rock_Chuck, I appreciated your last post in response to my question.

To me, serving people that they may not see eye to eye with is pretty fundamentally essential to Christianity. Jesus died for a world with which he clearly didn't see eye to eye with.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You are correct......

"Chosen' a truth implies that what you have 'chosen' is in fact true and factual".

No, I realize, not factual to you or other atheist.....JUST ME and a lot of Christians.

Something that is true and factual, by definition, is true and factual regardless of what you, or I, or anyone believes or disbelieves.

Nobody can choose something to be objectively true or false.

Does 'Allah' exist because millions of Muslims 'choose' to believe in the existence of Allah?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's a reasonable question - what about them - but the distinct reality is that humans do not know all that God knows. But, to ask makes sense.

Then again, for a human to try to declare what God can or cannot be - makes absolutely no sense.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 13 of 81 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.