Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i had sleep study done and they recommend 'Nocturnal oxygen therapy' , i don't have any sleeping issues . complained about being tired all day.

have you done it? any good or bad results?

Last edited by persiandog; 09/23/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a second opinion is needed...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your history and the results of the sleep study would be the reasons for the recommendation for O2 at night.

I'm in the same boat and it has been helpful. Yeah, inconvenient and a little awkward, at first, but I sleep better and wake up more rested.

Are you living above 4,000 ft altitude?

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Border Doc
Your history and the results of the sleep study would be the reasons for the recommendation for O2 at night.

I'm in the same boat and it has been helpful. Yeah, inconvenient and a little awkward, at first, but I sleep better and wake up more rested.

Are you living above 4,000 ft altitude?
Nampa is at 2500 ft altitude.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes it helps a lot. My 02 level drops to 86-87% at night while I am sleeping. This has nothing to do with Sleep Apnea. It takes a different test. I have mild Sleep Apnea though. I am on 1 lpm during the night and 2 lpm during the day when I am more active. It makes tremendous difference on how I now feel during the day. I live at 7650 feet altitude.

A person needs to have doctors order to by any oxygen equipment. Most concentrators supplied by oxygen providers are really noisy. Even if you put them two rooms way from where you sleep. The ones that also have compressors to fill portable bottles are worse.

If your insurance or medicare will pay for it or buy it outright, look at the Inogen Home Concentrator and by the life time guarantee. It is at least 1/2 the size smaller than most commercial ones an only 47 DB. I have mine in a closet in the same room as I sleep and I can hardly hear it.

If get so you need it during the day ,look at the Inogen G4 portable unit that is battery powered unless you want to drag one of those 25 liter bottles around on a cart

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I drink Mtn Dew for a sleep disorder.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used one for 10 years or so. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs one!

It greatly improved how I feel and how I sleep! My O2 dropped to 67% when I did my sleep study!!!

However, I believe CPAP is much better than the auto bipap!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 09/23/22.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my test result :
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple glasses of wine works wonders

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High eighties on the oximeter/Holter is cause for action. Daytime numbers in the 90-93 range, at 6,700' altitude, were suspicious and I was still tired in the mornings.
After a sleep study and their recommendation, I asked for answers and alternatives and got schooled. A low level of blood O2 means that chances for poor sleep are high and the same with increased chance of stroke, according to my MD. I did a little research via the WebMD/Mayo route to learn more, which was convincing enough to at least try that method.
The O2 concentrator I got from a medical rental program is reliable, effective and surprisingly quiet. The rental folks accept my Blue Cross/BS insurance without a co-pay and send me with plenty of tubing (up to 20-some feet) when they change the filter and put the concentrator on the testing machine every 6 or 12 months. Although it is only about 2 feet away from my head, I am never aware of any noise.
Saddlesore- sorry that we are in the same club. I don't require O2 help during the day. Yet.
I wonder why your concentrator is so loud.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're gonna be dead in 5 years or less, what do you care?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
You're gonna be dead in 5 years or less, what do you care?

Just for fun.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Border Doc
Saddlesore- sorry that we are in the same club. I don't require O2 help during the day. Yet.
I wonder why your concentrator is so loud.

My O2 therapy is paid for by the Department of Labor as I qualified as a past nuclear worker and had my lungs damaged as such. If I got my Medicare Advantage insurance (Humana) to pay for it, my copay would have been $180/mo.Ia l already take enough medication for other problems that I hit the doughnut gap in mid fall.

DOL only has certain approved companies to provide O2 so I had to go with APRIA. I sent the first one back and the second one was supposedly quieter. Not much though.Working around my small acreage, I can't be dragging one of those small bottles around,.
so I bought the home concentrator and portable one from Inogen. I have to keep the Apria set up as they provide a big bottle in case the power goes out and I have a supply of the smaller 25 liter bottles if I get away from the house for a longer period

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If you’re on it and using an O2 generator, make sure you notify the power company and they should bump up your priority in the event of a power failure.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was on an O2 concentrator 24/7 for almost six months while recovering from massive blood clots in both lungs (pulmonary emboli) caused by Covid. The next 3 months, it was night time only. My 02 saturation is in the mid to high 90's now without supplemental O2, day or night. It has been a long, slow recovery process, but I was not expected to leave intensive care alive a year ago. Night time O2 makes sleeping a lot easier and much more restful. Go for it!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use it and it helps. I'll even put it on while watching TV. I've had it ever since I made the mistake of getting a covid shot.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I drink Mtn Dew for a sleep disorder.
Damn right

I supplement with red bull, vivarin and sweet tea

Your ass won’t be falling asleep watching Gunsmoke around here. No.1 because that stupid life wasting chit won’t be on to begin with.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I use it and it helps. I'll even put it on while watching TV. I've had it ever since I made the mistake of getting a covid shot.

Bb

Never had Covid.

Yea, I put mine on about 6PM after getting cleaned up from the day. I have it on now.

I have a special back pack that is sold with my battery powered concentrator that I wear outside if I am doing something that requires little more effort.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a public service announcement as far as the “prescription required” nonsense they will throw at you to justify charging you five times to ten times the going rate.

First: any oxygen you buy from any company comes from the same fill plant. The only difference is that the “medical oxygen” comes with a form that says what the purity level is. When I get oxygen delivered to the farm, that truck just delivered to the hospital. Industrial is the same stuff as medical. Get you an industrial “K” bottle (tell ‘‘em you need it for your welder) to keep at home for backup. Should be about a $100 bill, and it holds about 7,000 liters when full, enough to keep you at 2 lpm for over 48 hrs in case of equipment failure or power outage and can be replaced at any welding supply house.

Second, you don’t need a “medical grade” oxygen concentrator: again, the “non medical grade” ones are the same, produce the same % oxygen, just without the paper trail. At a fraction of the cost, and none of the hassle.

The whole thing is a racket, like insurance rates for windshields.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think having it on reduces my back and leg pain. Sounds crazy but it think it's just like better circulation. I need to get back to using my bipap. I can plug o2 right into it and if I can stand to keep it on and actually sleep I do pretty well the next day. I've got to get my sleep sorted out again. I've spent too many nights up all night lately and it's catching up with me. Good sleep fixes a lot of things.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 40 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.