Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Looking to buy a set for an upcoming hunt and for future use, and would like to ask for opinions for those with experience using them. My experience with SS is limited to just one trip for plains game, and as one might expect, the sticks the tracker/PH carried in Botswana were made from ~6' lengths of some local wood and rubber rings/belts securing the three legs together near the top. Obviously not a commercial product. wink That primitive unit had three legs, was adjustable for height by means of either splaying apart or pushing the legs together. I thought it looked a bit cumbersome, but it worked just fine. Not exactly rock solid and didn't have the ability to pivot without moving legs, but again, it worked fine.

I see that commercial ones are available in 3 legs, 2 and some one leg versions, which I don't think is what I want. I think I like the 3 legs, just in terms of stability and the ability for it to stand by itself if needed, but maybe there are benefits to the 2 leggers I'm not considering. I've been looking at quite a few makes and models online, and in several online ratings--for what they may or may not be worth-- they rate the Primos Hunter Gen 3 Trigger Stick (3 legs) as the winner for 2022. Any advice very much appreciated. Any pros vs cons as far as features welcome too.

TIA.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't help you friend.

But good luck with the search and an upcoming hunt???

Edit to add, I've had the single leg Primos trigger sticks and they work OK so far in their limited use. Can't speak as to their effectiveness taking a shot at game, haven't been so lucky yet. But at the range they seem to be better than me shooting offhand. Like you, I've heard the 2 and 3 legged models work well though.

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/26/22.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Leighton, like you, I use shooting sticks. But I've used the same two leg model for a dozen years.

If you want 3 legs, then the Primos Trigger Stick is good. https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Trigger-Stick-Gen-Shockey/dp/B0728HC759

I use a Bog Death Grip carbon fiber for night hunting with thermal when watching an area for a long time. If I walk and stalk, I'm back to my light 2 leg sticks.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go two legs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I would go two legs.

They work fine. You just have to let things settle in before you shoot. Practice a bit with them as well.

Shot this boar with my 2 leg sticks.

Just let the crosshairs settle, and letter rip! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tag. Waiting for that old dude to jump in and start talking about hasty slings, crutches and marksmanship.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If sitting or kneeling I like the two legged Bog Pod.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If I'm standing up more then 3 three legged.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Tag. Waiting for that old dude to jump in and start talking about hasty slings, crutches and marksmanship.

Yeah, the guy who says using a rest is unsportsmanlike.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks for the input, folks. If I understand correctly, the odds are that we'll be hunting relatively flat land, with lots of agricultural areas likey to hold what we're after. Part of my leaning toward a tripod style is my thinking that if we see a target, I'd like to be able to set the tripod up, and not have to worry about having only one hand free for things like a rangefinder and binos. Odds are that the shot(s) will be taken standing or on a knee. There won't be any blind or seat available. As such, I figure I want as solid a rest I can get. What I don't want is to be fighting a bounce. I'll likely be as nervous as a cat as it is. wink

Mr. CG, that helps. Does that tripod rig easily and quickly clamp onto the forend of your rifles? It sure looks solid. How heavy is it, and how fast is it to set up with, you figure? I assume the head tilts and swivels? Can you adjust the force needed to do same? Is that also a Bog Pod product?

Barry, that's some nice shooting and some nice looking gear. Wow. I'm pretty sure I'd be hauled off in chains for possessing one of those here. If caught, that is. wink Appreciate your advice.

Geno, thanks bud. Only going to get one shot at this. Can never even apply again for this tag in this lifetime.

Roger, your advice for two legs is based on what exactly, please? wink lol fuggin' guy!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used a Trigger Stick two or three times and also an original model BogPod tripod on about ten elk or twelve elk hunts. I prefer the BogPod only because I've used it more. Great for sitting, kneeling, or standing. Practice with these some and you'll find point of impact to be the same as if shooting from a bench rest. That's worth a lot to me. Don't care for the gizmos that attach to a rifle forearm.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the three and two leg version of the Trigger Sticks. For walk about I carry the two leg version, took both my elk with it sitting on pretty bad slope across a valley. They function as a walking stick as well.

Use the three legged version out of my shooting houses.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used shooting sticks a lot, both commercial and roll-your-own, with both 2 and 3 legs. Any of them do the job well, if you practice aforehand, a lot. Like most shooting things, you prefer what you're familiar with, so practice counts more than shooting stick style. For standing, I prefer 2 legged sticks, I lean the top slightly out from me and put my left (off) wrist in the fork, then as I pull the rifle back into my shoulder everything is steady up to the limits of my shooting ability.
YMMV
RB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have been using sticks for many years and have tried just about every thing home made and commercial, for me the bi-pod works best, and easily carried and set up, the new trigger sticks are handy and not to heavy and work well if your on the move, the Bog-Pod death-grip tri-pod works great if your not moving around they are heavy and clumsy to use if you moving.

What ever you decide on practice shooting from field positions, the more you set up and shoot the more comfortable you will be with sticks. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thanks for the input, folks. If I understand correctly, the odds are that we'll be hunting relatively flat land, with lots of agricultural areas likey to hold what we're after. Part of my leaning toward a tripod style is my thinking that if we see a target, I'd like to be able to set the tripod up, and not have to worry about having only one hand free for things like a rangefinder and binos. Odds are that the shot(s) will be taken standing or on a knee. There won't be any blind or seat available. As such, I figure I want as solid a rest I can get. What I don't want is to be fighting a bounce. I'll likely be as nervous as a cat as it is. wink

Mr. CG, that helps. Does that tripod rig easily and quickly clamp onto the forend of your rifles? It sure looks solid. How heavy is it, and how fast is it to set up with, you figure? I assume the head tilts and swivels? Can you adjust the force needed to do same? Is that also a Bog Pod product?

Barry, that's some nice shooting and some nice looking gear. Wow. I'm pretty sure I'd be hauled off in chains for possessing one of those here. If caught, that is. wink Appreciate your advice.

Geno, thanks bud. Only going to get one shot at this. Can never even apply again for this tag in this lifetime.

Roger, your advice for two legs is based on what exactly, please? wink lol fuggin' guy!
Maybe because I've used them and have a couple.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are somewhere that you are going to be sitting and waiting use the 3 leg, if you are going to be moving around and walking the two leg is quicker to get set up to shoot.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
This may work, at least for sitting. Try a bipod at front, along with a right knee and shoulder to make a solid base at the rear. Tuck into the bipod sticks, hold this steady, then adjust your right knee and shoulder til you are solid with the front legs. Hope you can visualize this.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If someone else is carrying them, as was the case here wink , these are rock solid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Question for you!

Are you looking for shooting sticks for use in the USA or are you looking for some to practice for a return trip to Africa.

https://www.africansportingcreation...ods-more-african-sporting-creations.html

https://www.africansportingcreations.com/flys-eye-tripod-shooting-stick.html

The above are some nice shooting sticks to look at and try.

I have shot off the bog pod and have one to practice on.

I have shot off the tigger stick and have one to practice on.

I have the 3 legged one with single joint per leg and practice on it. I have a nice one for African sporting that I use and you can take it with you when you travel. I am looking at the 3 piece one now for future trips.

In Africa I can shoot off the bamboo 3 legged one wrapped with inner tube to 350 yards and not an issue. Just practice using it. In fact I made one to practice on.

In Africa the bog pod is about as good as standing up and shooting off hand. I can shoot better off hand than using the bog pod standing up.

In Africa the Trigger stick is nice blind material, and that is about all I can say about it.

While hunting in Africa, you are shooting at a standing animal and do not need a swivel head to rest your rifle on, if the animal moves your PH moves the sticks. You need to learn to set up acquire the target and be ready to shoot when give the go ahead.

Almost all my animals taken in Africa have been taken using the 3 legged shooting sticks standing up. Only exceptions were sitting in a blind for bush pigs. Cape buffalo, black wildebeest, water buck and eland were taken standing off hand.

I have tried the 2 legged shooting sticks models and do not care for them. Sitting they work out fine, standing not so much.

Your hunting style and how you practice will make the difference.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Depending on what you are doing, how much extra you want to pack. Two striking poles through the hand hoops works ok.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I bought the 3 legged trigger stick for my daughter to use this year. We'll see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.