Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
I think he meant the action itself.

No experience with the 700’s but the M70’s for a Rem Mag and Win Mag fed the 375 Ruger cases like they were made for them.

I’d almost think a RUM based might be too big between the feed rails but I have no first hand info about them.

Remington 700's will handle/feed just about any cartridge imaginable. I was NOT responding to that, but whether the bigger cartridges wpuld provide any other advantage over the 7mm PRC.

Once did an experiment with a .30-06 Remington 700, filling the magazine with a .30-40 Krag, .300 WSM and a .308 Winchester. They all fed well perfectly--though they obviously didn't enter the chamber. But the front end/ bullet did. Also ran the same experiment with a .338 Winchester Magnum custom rifle built on an FN Mauser action--and the .375 Rugers fed fine.

My point is that a LOT of people assume that 700s won't feed "correctly" with various cartridges, especially compared to CRF actions. But the opposite is true.

As a result my response was partly due to the question of whether the other rounds provide any "advantage." Which I assumed from the way he wrote the question that he was asking about "killing power," since the other cartridges he listed are "more powerful" than the 7mm PRC. I have taken (and seen other people take) a bunch of big game with all those rounds, and have yet to see a consistent difference in "killing power," as long as a good bullet in the right place.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also add that the biggest "advantage" any of those cartridges might have these days is the availability of brass and ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7 PRC that is being spun up as I write this, is being built on Defiance LA Mag - not a RUM. We'll see how it feeds in a month or so. FWIW, my 300 PRC is built on a Rem 700 RUM action. Can't say one way or another whether the RUM action (ala a little bit different feed rail configuration) was/is actually needed - it's what I had available as a donor at the time. With the receiver cut for a Wyatt's extended box and follower, and the same installed, it feeds fine.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I think he meant the action itself.

No experience with the 700’s but the M70’s for a Rem Mag and Win Mag fed the 375 Ruger cases like they were made for them.

I’d almost think a RUM based might be too big between the feed rails but I have no first hand info about them.

Remington 700's will handle/feed just about any cartridge imaginable. I was NOT responding to that, but whether the bigger cartridges wpuld provide any other advantage over the 7mm PRC.

Once did an experiment with a .30-06 Remington 700, filling the magazine with a .30-40 Krag, .300 WSM and a .308 Winchester. They all fed well perfectly--though they obviously didn't enter the chamber. But the front end/ bullet did. Also ran the same experiment with a .338 Winchester Magnum custom rifle built on an FN Mauser action--and the .375 Rugers fed fine.

My point is that a LOT of people assume that 700s won't feed "correctly" with various cartridges, especially compared to CRF actions. But the opposite is true.

As a result my response was partly due to the question of whether the other rounds provide any "advantage." Which I assumed from the way he wrote the question that he was asking about "killing power," since the other cartridges he listed are "more powerful" than the 7mm PRC. I have taken (and seen other people take) a bunch of big game with all those rounds, and have yet to see a consistent difference in "killing power," as long as a good bullet in the right place.

John, I took his question to mean which M700 would be a better donor rifle for the PRC (Win Mag/Rem Mag vs a RUM).

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
My 7 PRC that is being spun up as I write this, is being built on Defiance LA Mag - not a RUM. We'll see how it feeds in a month or so. FWIW, my 300 PRC is built on a Rem 700 RUM action. Can't say one way or another whether the RUM action (ala a little bit different feed rail configuration) was/is actually needed - it's what I had available as a donor at the time. With the receiver cut for a Wyatt's extended box and follower, and the same installed, it feeds fine.

Probably so close it doesn't much matter either way on which will work.

I have a big RUM LA Defiance myself that I have sorta talked myself into doing in a 338 RUM. I have had the action for about 9 months and changed my mind about 3-4 times since then grin

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a big RUM LA Defiance myself that I have sorta talked myself into doing in a 338 RUM. I have had the action for about 9 months and changed my mind about 3-4 times since then grin

Blasphemy for a rifle loonie . . . laugh

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Blasphemy for a rifle loonie . . . laugh

I know man, hangin around the likes of guys like you, NYRiflemen, AKWolverine, etc really gets all kinds of ideas spinning around.. Tough to keep pace! grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Thanks for the info

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.