R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by IZH27
Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

Here's the thing - science is demonstably true, no faith needed. Ignorance or arrogance may well prevent you from admitting that. We never prayed the internet into existence.

Believing anything that has no proof or basis in reality seems more than a bit silly.

Documentation of seeing god 2000 years ago is about as reliable as that for seeing Spiderman in the 20th century, although we do have photos and videos of the latter.

Metaphysical and supernatural are just easy-out excuses used by the impatient, ignorant people. How much of that magic stuff has evaporated since we've learned more throughout the ages?

That is the difference between atheist and theist...you keep pounding the same old same thing...you need proof beyond a shadow of a doubt....WE GET THAT!....now quit hounding the believers of God the Bible...

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Raspy
That is a totally different thing than what Raspy is saying. Raspy is saying that there is justification in our works.

If there is justification in our works and that’s actually a Biblical doctor then raspy should be able to tell us what work he is doing to justify himself before God and help God save raspy.

Paul is very clear in the doctrine of imputation that we are justified solely through the work of Christ as it relates to salvation. Works have absolutely nothing to do with our justification before God for salvation. If I works do not save us there is certainly no way that they can’t keep us saved.

If works help save us then Raspy should well be able to tell us with clarity and specificity the works that he is doing to make himself more righteous and holy.

Totally different?

Sorry, but I agree with Antlers....>>>Some see that James’ position doesn’t refute the “faith alone” part of the equation at all. The “faith alone” part of the equation still stands, but only the kind of faith that eventually and inevitably produces good works. Good works are not the basis, or foundation, of salvation. Good works are the result of, the fruit of salvation. It isn’t good works that save or justify, they don’t qualify us to enter God’s presence. If people truly trust in Jesus, and put their confidence in Him, that trust and confidence shows up in how they live their lives.<<<

I would suggest studying John 15. Branches are grafted into the vine. Branches through their own work, do not produce fruit. Jesus very clearly says that fruit or Works are produced through abiding in him because he is the source of the life that flows through the branch.

As a branch grafted into the vine what are you doing to produce good works within yourself? If you’re doing good works to improve upon something that God did Christ himself sucked at the analogies that he used to describe what is happening in the believer.

I see....you have your opinion, others have their opinion, and I have mine....
Fair enough. I accept that, and have no problem with it. However, if someone makes a statement, I certainly expect them to be able to give a sense of what they’re saying so that I can understand where they’re coming from. Intern, if I make a statement, I expect the same of myself to be able to give us a sense of what I believe.

if I’m not misunderstanding, you very much believe that your works somehow enhance what God has done in your life to save you as though you’re helping him accomplish what it is that he has done. I definitely without doubt used to think that way myself. However, the reality of my own capability overwhelms me and that View left me empty. if indeed, you are contributing to your salvation, it should be very easy to enumerate those things that you are in deed contributing

Ok, I respect that....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

Here's the thing - science is demonstably true, no faith needed. Ignorance or arrogance may well prevent you from admitting that. We never prayed the internet into existence.

Believing anything that has no proof or basis in reality seems more than a bit silly.

Documentation of seeing god 2000 years ago is about as reliable as that for seeing Spiderman in the 20th century, although we do have photos and videos of the latter.

Metaphysical and supernatural are just easy-out excuses used by the impatient, ignorant people. How much of that magic stuff has evaporated since we've learned more throughout the ages?

That is the difference between atheist and theist...you keep pounding the same old same thing...you need proof beyond a shadow of a doubt....WE GET THAT!....now quit hounding the believers of God the Bible...

I'm just throwing it out there for debate.

I'm amazed at those believers who claim false truths and deny real truths to try and justify their faith. Having faith is one thing but distorting reality to justify it is insane, and you have to suspect their motives.

The less secular the society is, the closer to the planet of the apes it seems to get.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Raspy,

Regarding MauserMan: he is not interested in learning, knowledge or debate. He is simply a troll.

He has been exposed many times and it seems he is “incapable.”

“The fools says in his heart, ‘There is no God.”

We know that is not true and I am pretty sure he knows it also.

Anyway, he is here because he wants to be and I expect he does not know why….. you can make a pretty good guess.

Answer him if you like, ignore him if want.

A benign nuisance.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TF49
Raspy,

Regarding MauserMan: he is not interested in learning, knowledge or debate. He is simply a troll.

Anyway, he is here because he wants to be and I expect he does not know why….. you can make a pretty good guess.

A benign nuisance.

Well put....thanks

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am afraid you guys are right, There will be lot of Muslims and other religion. It's going to be a far diverse country and i am afriad more separated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MegaMehg
I am afraid you guys are right, There will be lot of Muslims and other religion. It's going to be a far diverse country and i am afraid more separated.
Really good reason to keep religion out of government functions, especially where a person in authority is the one one injecting their beliefs and prayers on folks that aren't in position to resist. Might have a Satanist leading a school prayer or a boy scout meeting. I was out west recently and saw a road sign declaring that the Satanists of Idaho had adopted that section of highway. There are all kinds of religions out there and they would be glad to be in a position to preach to a captive audience.

Religions need to have no political power other than their adherents votes. Otherwise they could easily go back to killing people like they do in other countries even now.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Raspy,

A benign nuisance.

You can dismiss and ignore but I'm still here, unlike your God apparently

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw

Faith in The Science runs deep.

Science does not depend on faith. Unlike the teachings of faith, which discourages doubt and questioning scientific research must be questioned and tested.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Human minds, human thoughts, human beliefs. From this thing we call "God," we hear nothing.

Which is not to say that some may genuinely feel they are in a relationship with God and that God communicates with them.

You offer us nothing other than human thought in your arguments. Then you demand material evidence in the presence of material evidence and extend that demand by expecting material evidence for anything metaphysical.

I get that. You don’t believe. You deny the evidence offered to you yet demand more. I believe that most here can live with your choice. Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Everything that exists in the physical universe, by definition, has physical properties that can be detected.

Human minds may postulate or hypothesis this or that particle or interpretation of QM, but our hypothesis and postulations are not established facts.

God is posulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

So what we have is people speaking on behalf of the God they believe in, not something that can be detected, examined or tested.

God, if such a thing exists, does not reveal Its existence or communicate with us openly and directly.

So we are left with what people believe and what they tell us about God.

Directly and openly from God, nothing.

Nope, you are still wrong.

Proverbs 18:2…

“ A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”

Apparently blind and deaf by your own choice.

That's not a rational argument. It is your opinion as a believer expressing your means of dismissing the truth. Which is that God is a human concept, a belief that's held on faith, neither testable or falsifiable.

If God did appear objectively and openly for all to see and hear, there would be no dispute.

Given an objective experience of God, we would all be theists.

It is not rational nor logical that you would make …..what you seem to consider a statement of fact or truth….. that God does not communicate directly and openly. You may not see or hear God, but it is just plain ignorant to state that others do not.

You are simply expressing you own opinion which apparently reflects your own experience.

You are are also wrong about “we would all be theists” given an “objective experience of God.”

There were many that walked and talked with Jesus….. witnessed His miracles…. yet turned their backs.

God did “appear objectively and openly….” He let’s His presence be known in at least three ways…..the majesty of Creation…. The Word of God in the Bible and through the conviction and witness of the Holy Spirit.

Seek…find…….don’t seek, don’t find.

When we communicate with each other, our communication is there for anyone present to see, hear or read.

Someone telling you that they communicate with God is not objective.

They may be sincere but mistake subconscious thoughts for communications from God (I know people in this category), they may have a brain condition, be delusional, etc, etc.

Subjective experience is not evidence for the existence of God.

IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Nobody is being hounded, and nobody is being forced to read or respond.....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am afraid you guys are right, There will be lot of Muslims and other religion. It's going to be a far diverse country and i am afraid more separated.
Really good reason to keep religion out of government functions, especially where a person in authority is the one one injecting their beliefs and prayers on folks that aren't in position to resist. Might have a Satanist leading a school prayer or a boy scout meeting. I was out west recently and saw a road sign declaring that the Satanists of Idaho had adopted that section of highway. There are all kinds of religions out there and they would be glad to be in a position to preach to a captive audience.

Religions need to have no political power other than their adherents votes. Otherwise they could easily go back to killing people like they do in other countries even now.
Satanist! Back in the days they hide in basements and do their businesses in secret now they are so open and proud, the table have truly take a new turn.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Satanist! Back in the days they hide in basements and do their businesses in secret now they are so open and proud, the table have truly take a new turn.

That's also how Christianity started.

Well?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If Paul was wrong, we've got a problem.
That is a good start. The first thing that has to be done in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem.
If your good works or what is saving you what are you doing that is affecting that salvation personally?
I don't understand your question. Maybe it has some typos or omissions? Please read it over.

I apologize. I do a lot of voice to text and sometimes that gets scrambled up and I don’t always proofread as well as I should.

If I understand your view properly, you look at Jesus instructions on keeping the law as a means of salvation. It seems also that you hold the view the Old Testament taught a law based salvation.

I grew up in legalism, which had a very strong emphasis on what we do influencing impacting determining the effectiveness of our faith effective.

The question I’m trying to ask is what measurement are you using to determine the effectiveness of the works and obedience necessary to keep the law and be saved?
I've admitted to God I have been a bad person, apologized, repented and now trying to love God and treat others as I would expect to be treated. I have deduced that the big 10 are still in force and while some of the more arcane regulations back in Deuteronomy and Leviticus may have only pertained to Israel during their sojourn there are some very important to the social harmony and good health. Such as the condemnation of sexual deviancy and the consumption of things such as reptiles and hogs. So I'm trying to live out my life in kindness as far as reasonably possible and avoiding the nasty foods prohibited and reemphasized in even Isaiah 66. It does seem particularly offensive to be consuming swine and rodents.

As to the swine and shellfish and reptiles (especially alligators) their diets and implications in human disease transmission illustrate the Mosaic laws and just like the big 10 are for the benefit of mankind not God.

I have both wild hogs and alligators on my property and they will eat things a buzzard won't eat. I understand hogs are raised in captivity and fed a restricted diet but they are swine and a lot of people (my wife included) are allergic to them and they play a big part in transforming viruses into human pathogens.

I appreciate how straightforward you are, and explaining what you’re thinking. And that you certainly stand head and shoulders above most of the people participating in this thread.

In your explanation, what is your conceptualization of faith? I didn’t see faith mentioned. I may have overlooked it, of course.

Last edited by IZH27; 09/29/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Raspy,

He has been exposed many times and it seems he is “incapable.” A

A benign nuisance.

You can dismiss and ignore but I'm still here, unlike your God apparently

Never expected you to leave.

You are like a moth drawn to a flame.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Human minds, human thoughts, human beliefs. From this thing we call "God," we hear nothing.

Which is not to say that some may genuinely feel they are in a relationship with God and that God communicates with them.

You offer us nothing other than human thought in your arguments. Then you demand material evidence in the presence of material evidence and extend that demand by expecting material evidence for anything metaphysical.

I get that. You don’t believe. You deny the evidence offered to you yet demand more. I believe that most here can live with your choice. Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Everything that exists in the physical universe, by definition, has physical properties that can be detected.

Human minds may postulate or hypothesis this or that particle or interpretation of QM, but our hypothesis and postulations are not established facts.

God is posulated and believed in on the basis of faith, not physical properties that we can detect.

So what we have is people speaking on behalf of the God they believe in, not something that can be detected, examined or tested.

God, if such a thing exists, does not reveal Its existence or communicate with us openly and directly.

So we are left with what people believe and what they tell us about God.

Directly and openly from God, nothing.

Nope, you are still wrong.

Proverbs 18:2…

“ A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.”

Apparently blind and deaf by your own choice.

That's not a rational argument. It is your opinion as a believer expressing your means of dismissing the truth. Which is that God is a human concept, a belief that's held on faith, neither testable or falsifiable.

If God did appear objectively and openly for all to see and hear, there would be no dispute.

Given an objective experience of God, we would all be theists.

It is not rational nor logical that you would make …..what you seem to consider a statement of fact or truth….. that God does not communicate directly and openly. You may not see or hear God, but it is just plain ignorant to state that others do not.

You are simply expressing you own opinion which apparently reflects your own experience.

You are are also wrong about “we would all be theists” given an “objective experience of God.”

There were many that walked and talked with Jesus….. witnessed His miracles…. yet turned their backs.

God did “appear objectively and openly….” He let’s His presence be known in at least three ways…..the majesty of Creation…. The Word of God in the Bible and through the conviction and witness of the Holy Spirit.

Seek…find…….don’t seek, don’t find.

When we communicate with each other, our communication is there for anyone present to see, hear or read.

Someone telling you that they communicate with God is not objective.

They may be sincere but mistake subconscious thoughts for communications from God (I know people in this category), they may have a brain condition, be delusional, etc, etc.

Subjective experience is not evidence for the existence of God.

A witness of and for God is nothing more than that.

It is your choice to disregard the witness.

Sticking your head in the sand?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been gone for a week and lost track of this thread. I see that James has been quoted a few times in discussing faith vs works. It's often overlooked that James was written to saved Jews. It wasn't written to tell how to get saved. It was written to tell what do AFTER being saved. The statement that faith without works is dead is telling those already saved that they need to do works for the Lord rather than just sitting on their butts doing nothing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've been gone for a week and lost track of this thread. I see that James has been quoted a few times in discussing faith vs works. It's often overlooked that James was written to saved Jews. It wasn't written to tell how to get saved. It was written to tell what do AFTER being saved. The statement that faith without works is dead is telling those already saved that they need to do works for the Lord rather than just sitting on their butts doing nothing.

How would you teach this concept? If you were instructing new Christians, how would you train them to view the quality and or quantity of their works and white degree of impact on their salvation with those works at? Are you saying that the salvation of a human being is ultimately defined by the works that they do?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
James was writing to saved Jews. They'd already been saved and he wasn't talking about how to get saved. The Bible says that our works AFTER salvation earn us rewards in heaven. The more our works are worth, the more rewards. But, even if you do NO works, you're still saved and remember that cleaning toilets in heaven is far better than the highest place in hell.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been gone for a week and lost track of this thread. I see that James has been quoted a few times in discussing faith vs works. It's often overlooked that James was written to saved Jews. It wasn't written to tell how to get saved.
James was writing to saved Jews. They'd already been saved and he wasn't talking about how to get saved. …even if you do NO works, you're still saved...
👊🏻

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 30 of 81 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,065
Posts18,501,398
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.