Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 81 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 80 81
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've been gone for a week and lost track of this thread. I see that James has been quoted a few times in discussing faith vs works. It's often overlooked that James was written to saved Jews. It wasn't written to tell how to get saved. It was written to tell what do AFTER being saved. The statement that faith without works is dead is telling those already saved that they need to do works for the Lord rather than just sitting on their butts doing nothing.

How would you teach this concept? If you were instructing new Christians, how would you train them to view the quality and or quantity of their works and white degree of impact on their salvation with those works at? Are you saying that the salvation of a human being is ultimately defined by the works that they do?

James was a Jew who wrote to Jews under the Mosaic Law, James 1:1. As he was under the gospel of the kingdom, faith plus works were bound together for Jews. Salvation by faith alone (the gospel of grace later by Paul) was unknown to the Jews at that time.

Since James was written between 45-50 AD and is one of the earliest books, James had no knowledge or understanding of Paul’s gospel of grace yet. James zealously believed in the Mosaic Law and having faith plus works, James 2:18. Old Testament salvation required required faith and works, and James was written like an O.T. Book to Jews, not Gentiles. The salvation doctrine by faith alone was unknown before Paul was commissioned by the ascended Lord. Since Paul, we are now saved by having faith alone in the finished work of Jesus.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Why can’t you live with the choice that believers make?

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

Here's the thing - science is demonstably true, no faith needed. Ignorance or arrogance may well prevent you from admitting that. We never prayed the internet into existence.

Believing anything that has no proof or basis in reality seems more than a bit silly.

Documentation of seeing god 2000 years ago is about as reliable as that for seeing Spiderman in the 20th century, although we do have photos and videos of the latter.

Metaphysical and supernatural are just easy-out excuses used by the impatient, ignorant people. How much of that magic stuff has evaporated since we've learned more throughout the ages?

That is the difference between atheist and theist...you keep pounding the same old same thing...you need proof beyond a shadow of a doubt....WE GET THAT!....now quit hounding the believers of God the Bible...

Nobody is being hounded, and nobody is being forced to read or respond.....

Bottom line....you keep saying prove that God exist....and we (Christians) keep saying, there is enough evidence that we believe God of the Bible exists......and so it keeps going and going and going....and yes you are hounding the believers in God the Bible.

Illegitimi non carborundum

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
mauserand9mm and his ilk seem to think history began on the day they were born.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
James was a Jew who wrote to Jews under the Mosaic Law, James 1:1. As he was under the gospel of the kingdom, faith plus works were bound together for Jews. Salvation by faith alone (the gospel of grace later by Paul) was unknown to the Jews at that time.
It was unknown to everyone until Luther invented it.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by TF49
Raspy,

Regarding MauserMan: he is not interested in learning, knowledge or debate. He is simply a troll.

He has been exposed many times and it seems he is “incapable.” A

“The fools says in his heart, ‘There is no God.”

We know that is not true and I am pretty sure he knows it also.

Anyway, he is here because he wants to be and I expect he does not know why….. you can make a pretty good guess.

Answer him if you like, ignore him if want.

A benign nuisance.

You can dismiss and ignore but I'm still here, unlike your God apparently

Never expected you to leave.

You are like a moth drawn to a flame.

Here to respond to the OP's question. Just highlighting some issues as I see them. No need to feel persecuted about it all.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
mauserand9mm and his ilk seem to think history began on the day they were born.

Not at all. You think it began 6,000ish years ago?

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
James was writing to saved Jews. They'd already been saved and he wasn't talking about how to get saved. The Bible says that our works AFTER salvation earn us rewards in heaven. The more our works are worth, the more rewards. But, even if you do NO works, you're still saved and remember that cleaning toilets in heaven is far better than the highest place in hell.
Now wait a minute. Is this to say there will be social divisions and rank in heaven among the few that make it? "narrow is the way... and few there be that find it"

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hastings
James was writing to saved Jews. They'd already been saved and he wasn't talking about how to get saved. The Bible says that our works AFTER salvation earn us rewards in heaven. The more our works are worth, the more rewards. But, even if you do NO works, you're still saved and remember that cleaning toilets in heaven is far better than the highest place in hell.
Now wait a minute. Is this to say there will be social divisions and rank in heaven among the few that make it? "narrow is the way... and few there be that find it"

That's often overlooked.

Given that god and Jesus did all the hard yards, and the dire consequences for those failing to meet the entry requirements to heaven, is eternal free-loading really the acceptable outcome for the successful believers? Sounds somewhat ungrateful and disrespectful for doing so little to recieve such a reward. Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If Hitler made it to heaven then there must be some awkward conversations going on up there. I guess they probably just sit back and laugh about it now when they recall the old times. Hitler was one crazy nazi back in the day.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Isn't truth more important? Lots of people believe in lots of things that have no basis in reality - any other topic and they would be considered delusional.

I'm sure that for all other things in life you only believe them once you are convinced that they are true. Why the special concession for religion?

Why do you hold out special concession for science? If there is a God, he is far beyond our comprehension yet you demand Godby comprehended within the terms that you set.

We do not look in the face of God. God remains hidden in the metaphysical. Simple observation would demonstrate this to us yet you demand that God sent your definition, so that he can be explained, defined and categorized through physical means the parameters of which you set through scientific method. the logic of demanding a physical evidence for metaphysical being seems more than a bit silly.

But then there is a point in time and history when we do see God yet you deny that as a falsehood and narrative a conjuring a creation of men.

Here's the thing - science is demonstably true, no faith needed. Ignorance or arrogance may well prevent you from admitting that. We never prayed the internet into existence.

Believing anything that has no proof or basis in reality seems more than a bit silly.

Documentation of seeing god 2000 years ago is about as reliable as that for seeing Spiderman in the 20th century, although we do have photos and videos of the latter.

Metaphysical and supernatural are just easy-out excuses used by the impatient, ignorant people. How much of that magic stuff has evaporated since we've learned more throughout the ages?

That is the difference between atheist and theist...you keep pounding the same old same thing...you need proof beyond a shadow of a doubt....WE GET THAT!....now quit hounding the believers of God the Bible...

Bottom line....you keep saying prove that God exist....and we (Christians) keep saying, there is enough evidence that we believe God of the Bible exists......and so it keeps going and going and going....and yes you are hounding the believers in God the Bible.

I'm not saying prove God exists. I'm pointing out that evidence is lacking, that what is written in our holy books is not evidence for what is written about God and the supernatural in their pages.

Which is why believing in the existence of a God or gods a matter of faith, not evidence.

That's all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Hitler made it to heaven then there must be some awkward conversations going on up there.

It's not how we've lived because we are all sinners (Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God) but it's the condition of our soul when we die.

We all deserve hell, but are only justified by His grace not works. Romans 3:24

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In which case, being Divine Grace, everyone can be saved.....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bell is sure going to be overcrowded

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

As a practitioner of good works what are you working toward?

Do you have a grade that your working toward like in a pyramid company?

Since your good works have to be directed at men I wonder how the humanity that you are “working for or on” to Jack up your reward count and coup in heaven feel about being nothing more than objects in a scheme?

Is God so screwed up that He would design a system that depended on such predation?

I wonder how God feels about your use of his other created children as you use them to “earn crowns” at their expense?

Seems to me that your idea of good works are self centered and predatory. Get in with God so that you are rewarded. You gonna sit on the right hand or the left hand side?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've been gone for a week and lost track of this thread. I see that James has been quoted a few times in discussing faith vs works. It's often overlooked that James was written to saved Jews. It wasn't written to tell how to get saved. It was written to tell what do AFTER being saved. The statement that faith without works is dead is telling those already saved that they need to do works for the Lord rather than just sitting on their butts doing nothing.

How would you teach this concept? If you were instructing new Christians, how would you train them to view the quality and or quantity of their works and white degree of impact on their salvation with those works at? Are you saying that the salvation of a human being is ultimately defined by the works that they do?

Since James was written between 45-50 AD and is one of the earliest books, James had no knowledge or understanding of Paul’s gospel of grace yet. James zealously believed in the Mosaic Law and having faith plus works, James 2:18. Old Testament salvation required required faith and works, and James was written like an O.T. Book to Jews, not Gentiles. The salvation doctrine by faith alone was unknown before Paul was commissioned by the ascended Lord. Since Paul, we are now saved by having faith alone in the finished work of Jesus.

Paul clearly teaches that the covenant of Grace was what saved Abraham. He quoted what Moses was inspired to write, “Abraham believed God (the promise of the messiah and the forgiveness of sin) and it was COUNTED to him as righteousness”. Abraham was saved by grace. Imputation, while not named, was taught in Genesis. Paul simply expanded on the teaching in his writings.

Last edited by IZH27; 09/29/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Paul clearly teaches that the covenant of Grace was what saved Abraham. He quoted what Moses was inspired to write, “Abraham believed God (the promise of the messiah and the forgiveness of sin) and it was COUNTED to him as righteousness”. Abraham was saved by grace. Imputation, while not named, was taught in Genesis. Paul simply expanded on the teaching in his writings.

Abraham lived before the dispensation of the law and was saved by his faith, Roman’s 4:3. God established His plan with Israel beginning with Abraham and began a new plan later with Paul. Before Paul, no one was saved by faith alone except for Abraham. Abraham was saved by believing what God said in Genesis 15.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Weird... no one was saved by faith, except Abraham, before Paul...

Maybe you meant before Jesus.

Kent

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp
Weird... no one was saved by faith, except Abraham, before Paul...

Maybe you meant before Jesus.

Kent

I think he actually meant Paul.

Dispensationalism is weird like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And yet Abraham picked up everything and moved, as God willed him.

Sounds like work to me. I hate moving!

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

I'm not saying prove God exists. I'm pointing out that evidence is lacking, that what is written in our holy books is not evidence for what is written about God and the supernatural in their pages.

Which is why believing in the existence of a God or gods a matter of faith, not evidence.

That's all.

I can sort of relate to that....I contend there is much evidence but no earth-shattering positive proof.... The bible is unique in many respects. Not only was it composed by at least 40 writers, on multiple continents, over a span of 1,500 years, but it is not what we would expect to find were it “made up".......just 2 examples follows below....

***Dr. Nelson Glueck was the president of Hebrew Union College and a highly respected archaeologist whose reliance upon the historical accuracy of Scripture led to the discovery of 1,500 ancient sites. Regarding the Bible and archaeology, he stated the following:

"It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archaeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of biblical description has often led to amazing discoveries."

***The distinguished archaeologist Dr. William F. Albright also asserted the accuracy of the Bible’s history.

"Thanks to modern research, we now recognize its substantial historicity. The narratives of the Patriarchs, of Moses and the Exodus, of the Conquest of Canaan, of the Judges, the Monarchy, Exile, and Restoration, have all been confirmed and illustrated to an extent that I should have thought impossible forty years ago."

I find the above 2 examples as evidence, but not bulletproof PROOF, which is why believing in the existence of God of the Bible is a matter of my faith, and not PROOF.

Illegitimi non carborundum

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Luke documented that God told Ananias that Paul was His chosen instrument to proclaim His name to the Gentiles ‘and’ to the Jews. God recruited Paul, and he made it clear that everyone’s ‘always’ been saved by faith, one is ‘never’ saved by works, not even Jews in the Old Testament.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 31 of 81 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,031
Posts18,500,564
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.