Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 47 and never owned a new car/truck. I had a schidt my pants moment in August when I barely had enough brakes while dragging our travel trailer with my excursion.

I spent the month of September elk hunting and had my old 12 valve loaded to the gills plus my travel trailer packed for a month off grid.

The plug on the trailer packed solid with dust and when it finally rained was causing some wierd brake feedback. I didn't figure this out till I was home....but it made for a cautious drive with 40 miles of mountain roads and 125 on asphalt.

So....I finally decided enough is enough and bought a truck with more than I need. I found a Ram 5500 4x4 laramie a few hours away....and it's an awful nice truck. I can toss a couple atvs in the bed plus all the heavy stuff and never worry about how it's going to handle. The brakes on this truck fill the 19.5 wheels up. Ujoints in the front axle are bigger than the drive joints in my other cummins truck.

She's a bit hungrier on fuel, but for what it brings....I'll pay the premium.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/7532960229.html

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You shouldn't out grow that beast... if you do, it's time to cut back on the toys.... yea right smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No joke. It's quite a different driving experience compared to the 12v. My 12v will probably out pull it with 15k trailers... but being able to talk in the cab and stop RIGHT NOW is priceless. Air conditioned seats are a new favorite thing. I can rip a stinker and share it with new fervor.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very nice... Congratulation!

I would have bought that truck...

I have a Smarty Junior inbound for my 2011 3500... Couple of folks I know claim the Smarty is best... fuel timing, transmission shifting, MPG. Don't know, but thought to mention it.

I am doing TWO 7 pin connectors on every truck (maybe 3 on some that get abused). Trailer Brakes matter a WHOLE LOT. Might even do two cables on some trailers.

Hope the elk hunting went well... post some pics.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like a beauty!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slumlord
The cure for mornin wood. Thanks.👍🏻

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Enjoy!

Hope you have lots of trouble free miles!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im actually satisfied with the power and shifting. I have a built billet 47re in my 12v and this aisin shifts pretty tight comparing the two. It's no 3 disk converter....but it's super quick and positive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by fester

laugh laugh laugh

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice one. Any luck with the hunt? Is the Excursion going on Craig's?

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow, what an absolute beast of a truck. I love it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Everything I drive is 20+ years old

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erikj
Nice one. Any luck with the hunt? Is the Excursion going on Craig's?

No way. 7.3 excursion that's likely not going away for at least 10 years.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a couple of opportunities on bulls that were not what I wanted. I was hunting with my recurve and still have rifle and muzzy season to shoot average elk in. I hunt the archery for good bulls. It was AWESOME.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A bull Elk with a recurve...now THAT'S HUNTING!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by high_country_
I had a couple of opportunities on bulls that were not what I wanted. I was hunting with my recurve and still have rifle and muzzy season to shoot average elk in. I hunt the archery for good bulls. It was AWESOME.
Good livin'. Based on your posts our paths cross in a few areas. It'll be hard to miss that new ride. I'll be slumming it, in one of my beaters. Air conditioned seats, lol.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice looking ride, got the fancy touch screen. High class livin

Romans 5:1
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty truck!

I had a year old Camaro back in the 70s. Only under 10 year old rig I've owned.

The girl I was dating back then preferred my old pickup to it. That is when I suspected she might be a keeper. She still is, 49 years later. (The girl, not the pickup.)

Enjoy your new rig!

Last edited by Brazos; 10/01/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You will love it the more you drive it… congrats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 308Palma, 36 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,239
Posts18,371,389
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.