Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A ceramic and then a strop. I’m no master knife sharpener. I try to make it easy by not letting them get to dull. A consistent angle and pressure seems to do the trick as far as sharpening.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Work Sharp.........screw all that old fashioned stuff.

Yep.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a diamond bench stone a few years back. Best sharpener I've ever owned!

Was using Japanese water stones before that. The water stones would hollow out pretty quickly, and need replaced.

Virgil. B.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Yep.

I had the Ken Onion version. Tried to get it to work, ended up tossing it in the trash.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Arkansas oil stones. Leather strop. Smooth butchers steel for maintenance.

Japanese Water Stones, and water. Far superior to the Arkansas variety. Strop isn't needed.

My son uses the water stones and yes those are very good. I have done it my way for so long, I just can't see changing as long as it works for me. I cut meat for Iowa Beef to put my self through college, that is where I learned to really sharpen a knife. I should mention that use of the smooth steel maintains a sharp edge for a long time. It's not often I need to put one on a stone.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Why people don't care to understand the physics of the right steel, putting a proper bevel on a knife by hand, and maintaining that edge is the real question.

Lots of machines out there that put a sharp edge on anything resembling a knife, but knowing cutlery and how to sharpen it is a life skill every outdoorsman... hell, everybody should learn.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Why people don't care to understand the physics of the right steel, putting a proper bevel on a knife by hand, and maintaining that edge is the real question.

Lots of machines out there that put a sharp edge on anything resembling a knife, but knowing cutlery and how to sharpen it is a life skill every outdoorsman... hell, everybody should learn.
Yep. Because when we don't have juice to power 'em, then what?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Screw juice to power them - I'm not burning up my time when I can have a hunt knife razor sharp in a minute and a fish knife razor sharp in two. No power or oil needed.

I hear "I'm ruining my blade" about a hundred times a year but every one of them has to use a microscope to show me how my hair flinging sharp knife is "ruined". Usually hurts their feelings when I laugh in their face. If you have to use a microscope to see that I've done something wrong - I haven't done anything wrong.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I use Accusharp, they do take a lot of steel, but they do a great job fast. I always have one in my pack, especially when I am moose hunting.

This is the worst thing you can do to a knife. Get a knife with good steel, learn to sharpen it and it will actually stay sharp. An accusharp and it’s kind will ruin a knife and create a fragile edge that won’t last long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Arguments are not necessary. Everyone has their own idea of what "sharp" is. I have a worksharp and several belt sanders I use for lawn tools, axes, and tomahawks. I don't like it for knives because it makes a convex edge. But everyone likes something different.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This one works well for me. Coarse/Fine diamond, and Ark Stone. Gets rid of flats well. My poor Buck 284 gets used more like a multi-tool.😁

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Arguments are not necessary. Everyone has their own idea of what "sharp" is. I have a worksharp and several belt sanders I use for lawn tools, axes, and tomahawks. I don't like it for knives because it makes a convex edge. But everyone likes something different.

Sharp is sharp and measurable.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I use Accusharp, they do take a lot of steel, but they do a great job fast. I always have one in my pack, especially when I am moose hunting.

This is the worst thing you can do to a knife. Get a knife with good steel, learn to sharpen it and it will actually stay sharp. An accusharp and it’s kind will ruin a knife and create a fragile edge that won’t last long.

I will not disagree with you there, but when I am doing a moose in the bush by myself I do not want to mess around and as soon as it dulls in the slightest, 3 swipes it gets and back to work I go in seconds.

When the knife is toast, I simply buy a new one, because I can afford it :o)

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/02/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Yep.

I had the Ken Onion version. Tried to get it to work, ended up tossing it in the trash.

Did you plug it in?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I give all my knives to my best friend who went full retard on a $2k+ knife sharpening setup. It is a Tormek T-8 with all the bells and whistles along with a 4000 grit Japanese finishing wheel. Amazing results

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I will not disagree with you there, but when I am doing a moose in the bush by myself I do not want to mess around and as soon as it dulls in the slightest, 3 swipes it gets and back to work I go in seconds.

If you can afford it, buy a good knife and a good sharpener.

Using a knife properly helps as well. I took this moose to this state alone with only a Havalon Piranha and a couple of blades.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think I've tried almost all of the above. I just bought an Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife to try this season. We'll see. It's a sharp sucker out of the box, to be sure. At least I can buy a lot of blades for less money than the Japanese $4k strop.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I ruined several good knives over the years because I didn't understand what Rockinbbar mentioned. Just wore out the blades and never got them sharp. I decided to learn to sharpen a knife and the internet has been a good resource. Watching lots of videos and generally learn something from each one. First thing I learned was everyone does it differently and seems to think their way is best. I have several of the sharpening systems mentioned in this thread and they all work to some extent. I am still learning about the different kinds of stones, flattening stones, honing, stropping and lapping. Education is a lifelong process. I can say this for sure, the secret is the burr.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

If you can afford it, buy a good knife and a good sharpener.

Using a knife properly helps as well. I took this moose to this state alone with only a Havalon Piranha and a couple of blades.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great job, looks like you did that handy work the gutless method.

KB

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lansky kit and a strop. Easy and quick.

Although I feel keeping a knife sharp is a much better way to go.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.