-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Making fishing a competition is a great way to ruin the pursuit, just as with hunting.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We don't have walleye down in Georgia. But I have caught walleye in Quetico Park Ontario. Fried 'em up at my little camp, on my Coleman stove watching the sun set and having a drink of Jack Daniels. Most enjoyable and a delicious fish.

It is bizarre to make this into a competitive sport, I don't get it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Nollij
Ice fishing tourneys are known for this crap up here too.
Same in Colorado. Same guy won for several years in a row, so first lie detector, then spot checks on the ice, finally consent to search vehicles on the Entry Form. Found illegal live bait in the guys trunk. But I got news for ya, the Officials and Sponsors are in on it as well. I saw an official trim a tail with scissors also. Should be illegal to use fish or game to conduct contests where prize money is awarded. Sidenote: I won a consolation prize one time for catching 0 fish.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anybody would have to be really stupid to add a bunch of weight to a fish. I couldn't, but have a bunch of buds that can judge the weight of certain local fish within a few ounces just with a quick look.

I'm sure the local Walleye guys could immediately know something was off.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
We don't have walleye down in Georgia. But I have caught walleye in Quetico Park Ontario. Fried 'em up at my little camp, on my Coleman stove watching the sun set and having a drink of Jack Daniels. Most enjoyable and a delicious fish.

It doesn't get any better than the Quetico. The BWCA of Minnesota and Quetico are connected and have over 2 million acres of pristine wilderness. I used to go every year but it's been awhile now, too long.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A saloon in the micro town of Bliss, ID has held a rock chuck derby annually for years as a fund raiser for worthy events. I heard rumors that they've cancelled it for next year because of rampant cheating. It's judged by the average size of the chucks shot and they have some pretty nice prizes. Some competitors have been bringing in dead chucks from elsewhere, spoiling it for everyone. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some of the chucks have been weighted with sinkers, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I remember a case in which what had long been considered the world record pronghorn buck was found to have been faked. They were examining it and noticed a strange crack about a half inch above the base and x-rayed it. Somebody, many years before had taken another piece of horn and had split it used it to make the horn longer. Pronghorn horns can be steamed and removed from the core and that is what they did and after removing it had fitted the split pieces in place and nailed them with small nails and covered up the cracks/seams/nails with lamp black. I remember seeing a photo of the x-ray but it was more than 20 years ago. This was done long before they kept records and nobody even knew who killed the animal since the head was just found hanging in a saloon. This is why they now x-ray all potential high scoring animals for the record books.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

North woods walleye is the best. One correction though: GA does have Walleye in most of the mountain lakes
however it is nothing like up north, Catching them is very inconsistent but they are there. Best fishing is Spring when they are more active. After that they go deep and are hard to find. Some folks do good catching them but are pretty tight lipped.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anytime prize money is up for grabs there are going to be some people willing to do anything to get it. Years ago I was hooked into leading a Boy Scout troupe. The rules for the Pine Wood Derby were to use the materials given to build a car to compete down a ramp for speed. There were all manner of exotic cars that showed up that had been professionally built and painted. It ended up being a contest of masters at car building not at all what the contest was designed to accomplish.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot
Anytime prize money is up for grabs there are going to be some people willing to do anything to get it. Years ago I was hooked into leading a Boy Scout troupe. The rules for the Pine Wood Derby were to use the materials given to build a car to compete down a ramp for speed. There were all manner of exotic cars that showed up that had been professionally built and painted. It ended up being a contest of masters at car building not at all what the contest was designed to accomplish.

Don't know why they don't just officially make it a dads' event and let the kids go play some video games or something.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taking a slightly different angle on this - I wonder how their wives and kids are taking this. Feel for the kids being ribbed about their dads being cheaters. Kids can be brutal to other kids.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.

One of the reasons to have kids...Duh!

PS that Teflon lubrication can make ugly cars go fast...

Last edited by Jcubed; 10/02/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
People can ruin anything. To me personally, turning the pursuit of fish and game into a contest via a tournament debases the underlying purpose of hunting and fishing to begin with. I get that others enjoy making everything in life a contest, but it isn’t for me. There was another famous case in bass fishing where a guy snagged monster fish and held several lake records. How could you even enjoy the ‘status’ that came with winning when you cheated this way?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You should see the stuff I've been asked to do to make pinewood derby cars faster... 😁

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buddy of mine was out fishing years ago while unbeknownst to him a catfish tournament was going on.
He caught a nice cat, wound up conversing with some tourney anglers and swapped it for beer. Turned out to be the winning fish.

Last edited by Distridr; 10/02/22.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reason #48 on why I don’t fish tournaments.

This one is 100% lead free.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]picture host

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Taking a slightly different angle on this - I wonder how their wives and kids are taking this. Feel for the kids being ribbed about their dads being cheaters. Kids can be brutal to other kids.

Kids might not be theirs......cheaters attract cheaters n all

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I LOVE fishing. It’s one of my true passions in life but I could never get into tournaments. I have friends that did the circuit and they were quite good but fishing for me is everything that tournaments aren’t. It’s easy to ruin the enjoyment of fishing by throwing money, ego and insecurities into the mix. I used to watch a little bit of the tournaments occasionally and every time I was disappointed. Too much ego coupled with tremendous insecurities seemed to dominate the field. They looked like nascar clowns masquerading as a human billboard….Ricky Bobby had more class and intelligence than some of those guys. 😂

If you’re not first you’re last…

This. Money has ruined a lot of fun fishing for a lot of people.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Some people would cheat to win a dirty diaper, just to be able to say they won.

I HATE tournaments. Buncha self-important entitlement minded douche-bags. Pre-fishing is usually worse than tournament day as it applies to someone moving in and playing bumper boats. Tournament day they've gotta behave or they'll get punted if they get complaints to the tourney director by non-tourney anglers. The biggest worry on actual tourney days is being anywhere near the starting or ending boat drag-race.

Yep.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.