Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It doesn't seem like Steiner ever made a big marketing push to win over the US riflescope market, and it doesn't help now that some of their best offerings -- like the Ranger 4 in the photos above -- can't be purchased here in the states. I like the discontinued NightHunter Xtreme series and used the 2-10x50 for a good while. When it came down to pure low-light performance, only a couple of scopes surpassed it -- and barely so, I might add.

The Ranger 4 outperforms the Conquest V4 and doesn't give up much to the alphas. The illumination system is terrific and adjusts extremely low. The reticle is a 4-a with just a center dot that illuminated.

Another factor to consider is that many folks are creatures of habit and won't try a new or different brand.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Steiner Predator 4 4-16x50 - scope for a while. I liked everything about it except its size and weight. Great glass and build quality

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have a couple of Night Hunters and they are excellent for low light right at sunset. They are slightly heavy but excellent optics.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just picked up a GS3 4-20x50 I don't remember the name of the reticle but it's geared to a 22-250 and that's exactly what I put it on.. for $560

Last edited by ldholton; 10/02/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about their binos? I see good reviews of the old porro-prism models, but no one admits to using them. I know they’re kinda big and bulky, but how do they perform optically?

What fresh Hell is this?
J
J
I am super bummed out that Nikon stopped making scopes. I have some monarch binos that I adore and their last hunting scope was just this swan song….the Monarch M5 scope was incredible and an excellent value. That being said, glad some of the guys from Nikon started Tract…..love that company, their scopes and binos. Also, they are super responsive and helpful when you call or email.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
How about their binos? I see good reviews of the old porro-prism models, but no one admits to using them. I know they’re kinda big and bulky, but how do they perform optically?

I'd like to hear some firsthand experience as well. Looking for a 10X42 and they're on the radar.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GS3 2-10x42 here.....other than the zoom ring being a bit stiff at the midrange.......no complaints.

Have taken several whitetails with it on a 3006 TC Icon.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'd like to hear some firsthand experience as well. Looking for a 10X42 and they're on the radar.

My brother bought a pair of the armored 8x30s back in the 80s. Kinda neat, but my 7x50 Swifts were better optically (and are still in use, just not carried around). The new ones look pretty good, and porros are supposed to be bargains compared to roof-prisms, just not trendy and compact. I think the Military 10x50s are about $500 on Amazon.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought some 10x42 Predator binos back in 2005/6. They are good binos. Shortly after buying those I looked thru a friends swaro ELs.
I bought a set of 8.5x42 Els the next week. I woukd probably still be using the Predators if I hadn't looked thru those ELs. I carry the Predators
In my gear box in AGC harness for spares or loaners.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have been using Steiner Binos for the last few years
I don’t recall the model but they are mid grade they were about 1000 I have been pretty happy with them overall

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bought my first steiner binoculars 35ish years ago, military marine 7x35 autofocus. Bought the same model a few years back when the original was stolen. Absolutely my favorite semi compact general purpose bino, cheap enough to leave in the truck and they can take a direct lawnmower blade strike incase you have children.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steiner has always, and still, makes quality products. They REALLY need a better marketing campaign. I've told Steiner many times that they need to make a bigger splash with their advertising. It's an uphill battle discussing these things with the Germans as they don't look at this the same way American marketing does. They feel the excellent quality speaks for itself. The Steiner Predator Series binoculars and riflescopes offer great quality and features

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Steiner has always, and still, makes quality products. They REALLY need a better marketing campaign. I've told Steiner many times that they need to make a bigger splash with their advertising. It's an uphill battle discussing these things with the Germans as they don't look at this the same way American marketing does. They feel the excellent quality speaks for itself. The Steiner Predator Series binoculars and riflescopes offer great quality and features
I'd like to hear more from you on the GS3 series that I think they no longer make....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I'd like to hear more from you on the GS3 series that I think they no longer make....

We purchased all the remaining inventory of the Steiner GS3's and are down to the last of the 2-10x42's which we are blowing out for only $599.99

These scopes are excellent hunting scopes. Quality through and through. Clean reticle, great optically, well constructed. I cannot think of a downside, 30mm tube, 18 ounces, dependable

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My experience is mainly with their roof prism upper end models….the Peregrine 10x42 and its successor the Wildlife.

Short answer is, my Swaro EL rarely leaves the safe anymore, for multiple reasons. I prefer 15X for general big game hunting, but when 10X is called for my Steiner gets to nod every time in anything resembling bad weather. The bino strap pocket broke on my Peregrine and for whatever reason it couldn’t be repaired so Steiner sent me a brand new pair of the Wildlife, since the Peregrine had been discontinued. There was absolutely zero issues with the glass on the Peregrine when this exchange happened so it didn’t leave me hanging.

The twist up eye cups suck ass, however. I don’t use them though so it is a moot point to me.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

We purchased all the remaining inventory of the Steiner GS3's and are down to the last of the 2-10x42's which we are blowing out for only $599.99

These scopes are excellent hunting scopes. Quality through and through. Clean reticle, great optically, well constructed. I cannot think of a downside, 30mm tube, 18 ounces, dependable
Awesome.
I have read Internet babble but these are the same as a Burris "". " But with German glass. Is any truth to this? And I believe they are made and assembled in the United States with German glass?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Awesome.
I have read Internet babble but these are the same as a Burris "". " But with German glass. Is any truth to this? And I believe they are made and assembled in the United States with German glass?

Yes, German optics assembled in CO

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.