Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by Hastings
Would not Jesus saying "the Father and I are one" be akin to when the secretary of state says "I speak for the president"?
NO!
No man can come to the FATHER but by ME.
Jesus is the radiance of GODs Glory and the EXACT representation of HIS nature.... HEB 1
Let's stick with only what Jesus said of himself in the synoptic gospels. John differs from them and we don't know who wrote Hebrews and of course Paul never met Jesus unless he met him out in the desert. Out in the desert, which Jesus warned us about.

Jesus sure did a lot of talking about his Father and prayed to his Father and often referenced his Father.

Think about it.

JESUS, by HIS own admission, did not personally bring us ALL truth....

HE said that task would be accomplished by the Holy Spirit..... SO, you cannot look to ONLY HIS words for '...all things pertaining to life and GODliness...'
I saw that. The holy spirit must be how God quietly guides you. I don't think some flesh and blood weirdo out on the road to where ever in the desert became the Holy Spirit infused with the knowledge Jesus neglected to tell us. But I'm studying it to see if it might make sense however I'm unable to see it. Just because a witness says some things that are true doesn't mean he is not lying about the most important issue. Stick with Jesus words only and you will not get confused.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Ontology is only as good as its assumptions and premises. It is evidence, not ontology that proves a proposition.

One way to look at is.... Ontology is the study of reality. Ontology is supported by objectivism, thus has ability to be proven. For example, organizations in which we carry out data collections for our research exists in reality and can thus be proven.

Another to look at it is... Ontology is not itself reality; it is theory of, or words about, reality.

More....Ontology is the study of being, it tries to understand the reality.

In sum....i agree with you.

Illegitimi non carborundum

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Ontology is only as good as its assumptions and premises. It is evidence, not ontology that proves a proposition.

One way to look at is.... Ontology is the study of reality. Ontology is supported by objectivism, thus has ability to be proven. For example, organizations in which we carry out data collections for our research exists in reality and can thus be proven.

Another to look at it is... Ontology is not itself reality; it is theory of, or words about, reality.

The ontological argument for God is based purely on deduction based on inference. You can apply the principle to any number of things you get a conclusion that is logical, based on the given assumptions, yet has no bearing on objective reality.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

The ontological argument for God is based purely on deduction based on inference. You can apply the principle to any number of things you get a conclusion that is logical, based on the given assumptions, yet has no bearing on objective reality.

When it comes to modern versions of the ontological argument, you either see it or you don’t.

Illegitimi non carborundum

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, who was Jesus speaking of when he spoke of his Father? Who was he praying to? Who was he talking about?
These same questions were already asked by you earlier on this very thread. And you were given clear and specific and detailed answers to them on this very thread by several members here already. You’ve asked these same questions over and over and over again, in many threads on this board that involve these types of discussions. And you’re always given clear and specific and detailed answers to them, over and over and over again, by several members who participate on these type of threads.

Why do you repeatedly ask the same questions without accepting, or evidently even considering, the answers that you receive…?

You come across as not wanting answers that don’t go along with your already-formed opinions. Or are you seeking validation or agreement with your already-formed opinions with your questions ~ which aren’t actually questions at all, but conclusions disguised as questions…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

When it comes to modern versions of the ontological argument, you either see it or you don’t.

Whether you see it or don't has no relevance to the validity of an argument. Semantics alone do not prove a proposition, if that proposition is taken to be more than just a concept or idea.

An argument stands or falls on its own merit, some may see the reasons for its success or failure, others may not, but what some see or do not see doesn't alter the validity of the argument.

Ontology alone is not sufficient to establish the proposition that God is real and exists regardless of whether we happen to believe or not.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Would not Jesus saying "the Father and I are one" be akin to when the secretary of state says "I speak for the president"?
NO!
Jesus is the radiance of GODs Glory and the EXACT representation of HIS nature.... HEB 1
Let's stick with only what Jesus said of himself in the synoptic gospels. John differs from them and we don't know who wrote Hebrews and of course Paul never met Jesus unless he met him out in the desert. Out in the desert, which Jesus warned us about.

Jesus sure did a lot of talking about his Father and prayed to his Father and often referenced his Father.

Think about it.

HE said that task would be accomplished by the Holy Spirit..... SO, you cannot look to ONLY HIS words for '...all things pertaining to life and GODliness...'

Do you then believe that on the one hand scripture is inspired but on the other it is not sufficient?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by antlers
Well, who was Jesus speaking of when he spoke of his Father? Who was he praying to? Who was he talking about?
These same questions were already asked by you earlier on this very thread. And you were given clear and specific and detailed answers to them on this very thread by several members here already. You’ve asked these same questions over and over and over again, in many threads on this board that involve these types of discussions. And you’re always given clear and specific and detailed answers to them, over and over and over again, by several members who participate on these type of threads.

Why do you repeatedly ask the same questions without accepting, or evidently even considering, the answers that you receive…?

You come across as not wanting answers that don’t go along with your already-formed opinions. Or are you seeking validation or agreement with your already-formed opinions with your questions ~ which aren’t actually questions at all, but conclusions disguised as questions…?

Or is he just playing a game?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This thread CLEARLY displays why the churches are failing. The rhetoric, the hypocrisy, and most of all the judgment is why.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by IZH27
NO!

Think about it.

Do you then believe that on the one hand scripture is inspired but on the other it is not sufficient?

Scripture is sufficient, that was addressing Hastings' notion that ONLY the words of JESUS are necessary.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
NO!

Think about it.

I saw that. The holy spirit must be how God quietly guides you. I don't think some flesh and blood weirdo out on the road to where ever in the desert became the Holy Spirit infused with the knowledge Jesus neglected to tell us. But I'm studying it to see if it might make sense however I'm unable to see it. Just because a witness says some things that are true doesn't mean he is not lying about the most important issue. Stick with Jesus words only and you will not get confused.

JOHN 17:

JESUS thought the words of the disciples/apostles were worth listening to, and were NOT confusing!!!

20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who [j]will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Word of mouth was the only way to get out Jesus' life and resurrection, told by witnesses the events like they happened. There was no chapter and verse to study, argue over. For Christianity to start and flourish all it needed was the story told.

If someone likes to study chapter and verse, fine for them, if someone doesn't and only needed to hear the word once, they aren't wrong.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Jesus WAS/is God
I just don't believe Jesus ever said that explicitly and surely not in the synoptic gospels. Who was he referencing when he spoke of his father? Who was he praying to? Who?
Every time Jesus said "I Am", He was saying He's God.

Politics is War by Other Means
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Word of mouth was the only way to get out Jesus' life and resurrection, told by witnesses the events like they happened. There was no chapter and verse to study, argue over. For Christianity to start and flourish all it needed was the story told.

If someone likes to study chapter and verse, fine for them, if someone doesn't and only needed to hear the word once, they aren't wrong.

Kent

No. Jesus preached himself as the apostles preached him from the OT Scripture. To say otherwise is to ignore the words of Christ and the clear history of Christianity.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27
NO!

Think about it.

Scripture is sufficient, that was addressing Hastings' notion that ONLY the words of JESUS are necessary.

Thanks for clarifying that. It gets pretty confusing at times since so many people do believe that they hear personal revelation from God outside scripture.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I never do get a plausible answer. I'm not expecting an answer from you or the others in your entrenched position. I Would like to think maybe some open minded person might study the questions for themselves. And we have no idea who might be reading with interest and not commenting. Jesus himself did not claim to be God, he often prayed to God, and he spoke of God as his Father and certainly a separate being.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I never do get a plausible answer. I'm not expecting an answer from you or the others in your entrenched position. I Would like to think maybe some open minded person might study the questions for themselves. And we have no idea who might be reading with interest and not commenting. Jesus himself did not claim to be God, he often prayed to God, and he spoke of God as his Father and certainly a separate being.
Have you ever considered the possibility that your position is just as “entrenched” and close-minded as what you accuse others’ positions of being…? Nearly every single member on this forum who has responded to these specific question of yours ‘have’ studied these particular questions for themselves, and they have overwhelmingly come up with answers that don’t don’t align with your already-formed opinions on the matter.

God the Son became a human in Jesus. God the Son (Jesus) was born as a human baby and He lived in a human body, experiencing all that we experience…including praying to God the Father. Jesus had a human nature, in addition to His divinity.

Jesus clearly used the very words that God the Father clearly used to reveal Himself to Moses from the burning bush. To the Old Covenant, Mosaic Law following Jews who were there, this was the very epitome of blasphemy, and they clearly had no doubt that Jesus was clearly claiming to be God. So much so that they attempted to stone Him on the spot for it.

Another time Jesus clearly told the Jews that He and His Father are one. And the Old Covenant, Mosaic Law following Jews who were there had no doubt that Jesus was clearly claiming to be God. So much so that they again attempted to stone Him on the spot for it. They even clearly said they were stoning Him because He “claimed to be God.”

It’s crystal clear that “The Word” in John 1 is clearly a reference to Jesus Himself, as evidenced in other verses later in the same chapter: “the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us” (for example).

So it’s “In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus WAS God”.

These things have been clearly pointed out to you many times, by ‘many’ people here, every single time that you’ve flatly denied the divinity of Jesus; and these things have been clearly pointed out to you many times, by ‘many’ people here, every single time that you’ve asked the question “Did Jesus Himself claim to be God”…?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you ever considered the possibility that your position is just as “entrenched” and close-minded as what you accuse others’ positions of being…? Nearly every single member on this forum who has responded to these specific question of yours ‘have’ studied these particular questions for themselves, and they have overwhelmingly come up with answers that don’t don’t align with your already-formed opinions on the matter.

God the Son became a human in Jesus. God the Son (Jesus) was born as a human baby and He lived in a human body, experiencing all that we experience…including praying to God the Father. Jesus had a human nature, in addition to His divinity.

Jesus clearly used the very words that God the Father clearly used to reveal Himself to Moses from the burning bush. To the Old Covenant, Mosaic Law following Jews who were there, this was the very epitome of blasphemy, and they clearly had no doubt that Jesus was clearly claiming to be God. So much so that they attempted to stone Him on the spot for it.

Another time Jesus clearly told the Jews that He and His Father are one. And the Old Covenant, Mosaic Law following Jews who were there had no doubt that Jesus was clearly claiming to be God. So much so that they again attempted to stone Him on the spot for it. They even clearly said they were stoning Him because He “claimed to be God.”

It’s crystal clear that “The Word” in John 1 is clearly a reference to Jesus Himself, as evidenced in other verses later in the same chapter: “the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us” (for example).

So it’s “In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus WAS God”.

These things have been clearly pointed out to you many times, by ‘many’ people here, every single time that you’ve stated here your disbelief that Jesus was and is God; and these things have been clearly pointed out to you many times, by ‘many’ people here, every single time that you’ve asked the question “Did Jesus Himself claim to be God”…?
Oh well.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh well.
And you accuse others of having an “entrenched position” and being close-minded…?!?!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh well.
And you accuse others of having an “entrenched position” and being close-minded…?!?!

Open mindedness is the new closed mindedness

Page 36 of 81 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.