Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swamplord
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
These memes are gonna be good for a few laughs.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerstalker
used to fish the Marlin tourny out of Catalina.
some years the purse was over 100k.
one year a pair of surgeons from LA won. one of the directors didn't like the looks of those fish and sliced the guts. 25 gallons of water each.
these jack wipes had all the money in the world. just wanted to be the winners. ended up banned from all tourny's for life.
My Dr. Buddy hired the Olympic sailing team so he could win the Galveston Yacht club sailing race.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by rainshot
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.
Reminds me of my short stint in Cub Scouts in the late 70's. My Dad and I entered the Pinewood Derby for the first time. Cars were supposed to be made bybthe scouts, with help from their parents. We naively entered boxy, untuned and unweighted cars painted with leftover house paint. The competition was all made by fathers in their shops or the shops at their work. Pretty impressive looking and fast cars that my self made chunk of wood didn't stand a chance against.

It left me pretty jaded about sportsmanship as a 9 year old.

Bruin…..Your experience with the Pinewood Derby virtually mirrors mine. After grandpa and I built the car and painted the block of wood I was pretty pleased with the outcome….until I saw the fancy entries from others. There car looked NOTHING like mine. Some of the entries looked like they came directly out of the Hasbro or Mattel factory NOT the work of an 8 year old kid. It was obvious to me that the winners were cars that were built by dad’s at their shop and not their children. I didn’t think it was fair but that was never a complaint that flew….fair was not a reasonable expectation of others. I remember being disappointed in the adults that ignored the obvious and rewarded poor behavior. I don’t recall ever entering another Pinewood Derby again…
Yeah I remember my dad added some lead in mine.
We, dad and I, added weight to mine to just under the maximum weight limit. It was legal.
Still came in fourth, IIRC.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those tournament types are a bunch of temperamental bastards any way. I pulled up to a ramp once in my john boat where a major bass tournament was going on, that I was not in, with a small mouth hanging on a stringer that went about 6 pounds. About half of them muth*fugers came unglued… crazy crazy crazy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Those tournament types are a bunch of temperamental bastards any way. I pulled up to a ramp once in my john boat where a major bass tournament was going on, that I was not in, with a small mouth hanging on a stringer that went about 6 pounds. About half of them muth*fugers came unglued… crazy crazy crazy

Only half!?

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Few things are more satisfying than a simple man showing the experts how it's done.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by rainshot
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.
Reminds me of my short stint in Cub Scouts in the late 70's. My Dad and I entered the Pinewood Derby for the first time. Cars were supposed to be made bybthe scouts, with help from their parents. We naively entered boxy, untuned and unweighted cars painted with leftover house paint. The competition was all made by fathers in their shops or the shops at their work. Pretty impressive looking and fast cars that my self made chunk of wood didn't stand a chance against.

It left me pretty jaded about sportsmanship as a 9 year old.

Bruin…..Your experience with the Pinewood Derby virtually mirrors mine. After grandpa and I built the car and painted the block of wood I was pretty pleased with the outcome….until I saw the fancy entries from others. There car looked NOTHING like mine. Some of the entries looked like they came directly out of the Hasbro or Mattel factory NOT the work of an 8 year old kid. It was obvious to me that the winners were cars that were built by dad’s at their shop and not their children. I didn’t think it was fair but that was never a complaint that flew….fair was not a reasonable expectation of others. I remember being disappointed in the adults that ignored the obvious and rewarded poor behavior. I don’t recall ever entering another Pinewood Derby again…
Yeah I remember my dad added some lead in mine.

I added lead to my sons. There was a weight limit in our pine wood derby. We did not exceed that weigh. Most others added weight as well. His car won.

Last edited by dale06; 10/03/22.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dale06
I added lead to my sons. There was a weight limit in our pine wood derby. We did not exceed that weigh. Most others added weight as well. His car won.
The company that puts together the car kits sell a weight set made out of tungsten. You can also buy a wheel kit where all four wheels came out of the same mold.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, seems they are looking into criminal charges.

ESPN article

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I predict many flat tires, broken truck windows, sugar in boat gas tanks, and or sinking boats in those guys’ future. Probably should forget about ever fishing again

Who is John Galt?
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
With the amount of $$$$ etc those could turn out to be hefty charges.

Ymmv

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fishermen...lie?

Who knew?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by dale06
The company that puts together the car kits sell a weight set made out of tungsten. You can also buy a wheel kit where all four wheels came out of the same mold.

I’ve used lead, put “O” rings over tires to cut down on friction, used moly (slicker than teflon), etc. Painted cars with DuPont Chromalusion ($$$$$), ghosting in flames, etc. I loved building pinewood derby cars - always legal though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With some of these guys and their level of involvement it sounds like pinewood derby ought to have an adult only category.

Last edited by K1500; 10/03/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by DryPowder
If they done this in multiple states, the FBI might end up involved.

Are you kidding? the FBI is to busy chasing MAGA....

And investimigatin garage door pull down cords.

Laughing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
[ ...

I’ve used lead, put “O” rings over tires to cut down on friction, used moly (slicker than teflon), etc. Painted cars with DuPont Chromalusion ($$$$$), ghosting in flames, etc. I loved building pinewood derby cars - always legal though.

Pretty sophisticated for a Cub Scout.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I predict in a week

One of the regular “Hillary is going to jail” posters will come up for oxygen from Gateway Pundit and give us an attempted Jimmy Olsen on this topic.

Possibly Varmint Guy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People are [bleep],
competitions just put a spotlight on that.

Start any competition, folks will quickly move to gain advantage in an
unfair way.

We used to do a 22 shoot.
Just some hunters, shooting to improve, have fun.

Laughable to most, 5 swinging plates from 20 yards to 50.
A tie breaker at 60.
Shot offhand, no sling.

Go to the Mark shoot 5 rounds,
After everyone shot, one shot each at the tiebreaker until the last guy standing.
Sometimes we had to wait for the cows to feed through behind the plates.

25 cents a round, we usually got 10 rounds before dark, with around 10 shooters.

High stakes!😁😁

One fellow bought a Savage heavy barrel, huge scope.
Two others bought Anschutz silhouette rifles, shot Gold Medal Match.

Would have really pissed me off, but these guys thought equipment
would win. They couldn't shoot for crap. Rarely ever picked up
the quarters.

My buddy would take a Winchester 69 open sighted to make it a challenge,
another used a Favorite.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I was one of the guys who came up second in any of these tournaments, I would sue them for the prize money that they stole. Can you imagine the boardroom Monday morning at Ranger boats.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 45 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.