Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
After much research and deliberation, I'm taking my Ruger American Ranch 300 blk elk hunting later this month in CO for 2nd rifle OTC bull. This is strictly a timber hunt: sitting in ambush first/last shooting light and tracking in between. My previouse two bull encounters were at 25 yards and visibility is only 100 yards.

Wanted to bring the shortest rifle possible for carrying and quick handling since I backpack hunt in the snow at 10,000'. Will share results when I get back next month. Curious to know if anyone else has experience hunting elk at close range with the 300 blk.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Really?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spend all that money for a tag and haul a 300 blk for the job? JFC HOLY FUG..MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I presumed this was a thread about loading that bullet in a 308 or 30-06

Good chance you'll be taking a quartering away shot on a surprised animal...I'd maybe go for a cartridge that holds 45-58 grains of powder instead of 28 grains. I've blasted lots of deer and pigs with 300 BLK and 6.8 and they work well but the wound channel is not like the wounding you get from a faster moving bullets.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I’d use a 12 gr cork in a 300 whisper if forced to do so. That way there’d be no wounded animal. Seriously 125 gun bullet at 2k FPS? Guessing here, I used to own one. Not saying it wouldn’t work in some situations but the animal deserves better. Seems a stunt at best. I do know I hunted many years with handguns and they can kill above their energy. I hit a whitetail in the ribs at 25 yards with a 7mm T/CU. It was a decent buck and a 125 gr Balistic Tip at 2k FPS. Lost that animal after a loooong track. Best guess it blew up on a rib and only got one lung. Was out of a TC 14” Contender

Shawn

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
Curious to know if anyone else has experience hunting elk at close range with the 300 blk.

Doubtful anyone here does.

It’s less powerful than a 30-30.

I’d rather hunt with a 243 than a 300 BLK.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said! 🫢 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Man, I love the 300 Blackout and the TAC-TX bullets through them, but that's really pushing the envelope for game that large. 😬 I've squeezed 2250-2300fps with the 110s from a 16" barrel, but in both the rifles I've had they shoot better at the more sedate 1950-2000fps range.

You're basically talking 25-35/25 Rem level ballistics. As with those cartridges, it can and has been done, but there are a lot better tools for the job out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will a 120 grain bullet from a 300 Blk kill an elk? Yes, but only if everything goes right.

Would I hunt elk with that rifle and bullet? NO!! I have too much respect for an elk.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stupid idea.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BWalker
Stupid idea.
I agree. Years ago I did it as an youngster with the 300 Whisper. Stupid practice. Very stupid and I should've had my head examined.

Otherwise I've used 30-30 up close and the old 30-40 in the woods but these are a good step up but I should've never taken 300 Whisper after elk. Today I'm older and my light tackle is 270win and 308win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stupid idea.

To the point. I like your style.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

How is 300 blk any different than elk guides who carry a 243 Win and 100gr Partitions that only have 60% weight retention? The 120gr TAC-TX gets 20-25" penetration in gel at ranges that I will be shooting at.

Not to mention this 300 blk load meets the CPW regs just like the 243 Win ("you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards")

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/07/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

How is 300 blk any different than elk guides who carry a 243 Win and 100gr Partitions that only have 60% weight retention? The 120gr TAC-TX gets 20-25" penetration in gel at ranges that I will be shooting at.

Not to mention this 300 blk load meets the CPW regs just like the 243 Win ("you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards")

And…..exactly how familiar are you with hunting/killing elk?

If you have the slightest of a moral compass, you attempt to take game animals as cleanly and humanly as possible…..not fuel an ego trip! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The closest experience I have was a 7mm T/cu with a 120 gr NBT at 30 yards on a large whitetail buck broadside. I had good lung blood for a while then it dwindled to small spots. I believe I hit a rib and didn't get penetration to both lungs. Never recovered the buck. This was from a 14" Contender with a scope and is very accurate with that load. We tracked the deer for a very long way before we lost all blood. If you know you can do it' why ask an internet forum for others experience? You had to know the answers you would get. The mono bullet will help if you get the expansion you need. I would still feel better with the 30-30 170 gr but I have no elk experience with that either. I did kill a bull with a 230 gn 54 cal round ball at 110 yards.

Shawn

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I haven’t looked but is it legal to hunt there with a suppressor?

Personally, I wouldn’t even think about it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
1. The question was totally stupid to begin with. There are any number of rifles better suited for Elk that weigh less than a Ruger American in 300 B/O.

2. Anyone who can hunt with a suppressor and does not is crazy as a pet coon.

Just another pot stirring post with no redemptive value.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The reason very few people have experience shooting elk with 300 BLK is fairly obvious. Even on deer and pigs it's an acceptable, but marginal cartridge, especially out of an 8" barrel. My 9" AAC barely gets 2100 fps with a 110 TTSX. Wounding is narrow. The 110 gr V-max is a much better killer, though it usually won't exit. Between myself and my hunting crew down here we've dropped 100+ does and pigs with that caliber (though if you want split hairs, none with the 120 TTSX, only the 110gr version) and most of us drifted back into larger calibers.

I've run 30 cal 180 grain bonded bullets into elk at 2100 fps (600+ yards). The bullet barely made it through the near side shoulder. If you think there's a magic difference between a 120 TTSX and a 180gr bonded nosler at the same speed, you're going to be disappointed.

A 243 partition of any weight blows a huge frag cloud ahead of it *as long as it's going fast enough*. All bullets are dependent on speed for disproportionate to caliber wounding, but mono bullets are really dependent.

Both are poor choices for your intended purpose.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A well-placed shot at under 100 yards should do the trick.....eventually.

But, before the elk expires, he will have too much time to run down into some god-forsaken hell hole you will have to find him in, and get him out of.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
The closest experience I have was a 7mm T/cu with a 120 gr NBT at 30 yards on a large whitetail buck broadside. I had good lung blood for a while then it dwindled to small spots. I believe I hit a rib and didn't get penetration to both lungs. Never recovered the buck. This was from a 14" Contender with a scope and is very accurate with that load. We tracked the deer for a very long way before we lost all blood. If you know you can do it' why ask an internet forum for others experience? You had to know the answers you would get. The mono bullet will help if you get the expansion you need. I would still feel better with the 30-30 170 gr but I have no elk experience with that either. I did kill a bull with a 230 gn 54 cal round ball at 110 yards.

Shawn

That may not be the case. The 120 grain 7mm Ballistic Tip is actually a pretty stiff bullet. Given the small cartridge and relatively short barrel the impact velocity may have been short of what it takes to dramatically upset that bullet on a pure lung shot.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You could be correct, I’ve no idea as I never recovered the deer. The bullet was probably moving at ~2k at 30 yards. I guess I thought it would have opened up. I love that gun but I wish I had been using one of my larger bore revolvers for that hunt. I parted with a 14” 7/30 Waters barrel I wish I had kept for a bit more speed.

Shawn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Robert Ruark: “Use Enough Gun”.

Good book, good advice.

Now, how much gun is “enough”?

Good question.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/07/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is a reason everybody has more opinions than experience, it is because it is a STUPID idea. As long as you want light weight and short length why not just take a .22 revolver and load it with shorts. One well placed shot between the eves should do it!

Last edited by Switch; 10/07/22.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done. Only one way to find out! I’ll post results when I get back and maybe we’ll all learn something new.

I was born and raised in CO. Took my first elk 17 years ago. I used to spot and stalk and now I still hunt/track. The old farmers I hunted with as a kid swore by their 6mm Rem/243 Win because they were more accurate with a light-recoiling rifle. They never shot far enough to holdover above the elk’s back and put one bullet in the rib cage. They used to say “Ya just gotta let the air out.”

I’d be shocked if a 120gr Barnes to the rib cage doesn’t do the trick. I’ll bet this year’s bull tag on it.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/07/22.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You should have led with that post, it’s much more confident than the first. Obviously you wanted controversy. Good luck to you this season

Shawn

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Seeing as how I have a pair of 243's with 100g Partitions that have accounted for 14 elk, I guided elk hunters for a few decades (although I never carried a 243 or any other rifle while guiding), and have killed far more elk at less than a 100 yds than I ever will at over 300 yds, I figure I'm plumb qualified to comment.....

I think the TAC-TX would be a good choice of bullet and makes up for a lot of other sins. Like using a 300 Blackout. I have a acquaintance who has killed two elk with a Contender in 6.5 something or another with the TAC bullet. It sounded to me like the bullet opens up a lot more than the usual copper rifle bullets.

I have long preached on here that moderate expansion and deep penetration is the secret to elk. Nobody listens but I still do it....

But...having started following my father elk hunting 60 years ago here in Colorado and beyond, I also know a guy can spend the entire day still hunting through the spruce-fir-quakie elk jungles and never see further than 60 yds, and then break out onto the side of a canyon, side of a mountain, or across a ravine and see elk 400 yds away.

Elk are generalists, you've got a specialty set-up. I certainly wouldn't disadvantage myself with such a rig. If I have a hankering for a bigger challenge I break out the Black Widow recurve with Port Orford cedar arrows.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done. Only one way to find out! I’ll post results when I get back and maybe we’ll all learn something new.

I was born and raised in CO. Took my first elk 17 years ago. I used to spot and stalk and now I still hunt/track. The old farmers I hunted with as a kid swore by their 6mm Rem/243 Win because they were more accurate with a light-recoiling rifle. They never shot far enough to holdover above the elk’s back and put one bullet in the rib cage. They used to say “Ya just gotta let the air out.”

I’d be shocked if a 120gr Barnes to the rib cage doesn’t do the trick. I’ll bet this year’s bull tag on it.
Only one way to find out huh? Soooo….you’re willing to risk wounding that elk, unethically causing it to have a slow painful death…just to see if it can be done?

I’m no better than the next guy on here but I won’t be experimenting on a live animal just for kicks. The animal deserves better than this.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
OP is a damned fool pot stirrer.

Next he'll tell us why Biden is the greatest US President ever.

He's going on ignore, you all should do the same.

Paranoia strikes deep
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hmm. So you post on the fire seeking other’s knowledge but then get butt hurt when everyone tells you it’s a dumb idea.

Almost like you weren’t really looking for advice.

As others have said, you’re just looking to stir up [bleep].

It’s a free country. Do as you wish.

In my experience, thick timber is where, more often than not, you need maximum penetration. But you’re not going to listen anyway, so I’m just talking to the trees.

Have fun. I’m sure you won’t come back on here and tell us when one gets away from you. We’ll only hear about it if it actually works.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Seeing as how I have a pair of 243's with 100g Partitions that have accounted for 14 elk, I guided elk hunters for a few decades (although I never carried a 243 or any other rifle while guiding), and have killed far more elk at less than a 100 yds than I ever will at over 300 yds, I figure I'm plumb qualified to comment.....

I think the TAC-TX would be a good choice of bullet and makes up for a lot of other sins. Like using a 300 Blackout. I have a acquaintance who has killed two elk with a Contender in 6.5 something or another with the TAC bullet. It sounded to me like the bullet opens up a lot more than the usual copper rifle bullets.

I have long preached on here that moderate expansion and deep penetration is the secret to elk. Nobody listens but I still do it....

But...having started following my father elk hunting 60 years ago here in Colorado and beyond, I also know a guy can spend the entire day still hunting through the spruce-fir-quakie elk jungles and never see further than 60 yds, and then break out onto the side of a canyon, side of a mountain, or across a ravine and see elk 400 yds away.

Elk are generalists, you've got a specialty set-up. I certainly wouldn't disadvantage myself with such a rig. If I have a hankering for a bigger challenge I break out the Black Widow recurve with Port Orford cedar arrows.......

Thanks for the insightful post. Yes, this is a specialty setup, similar to my heirloom Marlin 1895 ltd-v 45-70 that’s sitting in my safe in mint condition. I’m running a red dot on the 300 BLK for quicker close-range target acquisition and weight reduction vs scope. I don’t take pot shots at animals. Not even prairie dogs. I will only use this rifle within its limitations, which ballistically appear to be 200 yards max on elk.

Yes, that’s my understanding as well based on researching the TAC-TX vs TSX/TTSX. The former is designed for double-diameter expansion at 300 BLK velocities. The 110gr TAC-TX appears to be the most popular bullet among hog hunters with many videos online showcasing its effectiveness on hogs.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/08/22.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Must be a popular idea there’s Guys from Colorado posting this question all over the internet, unless all those people are you. I wouldn’t think so, you seem pretty sure of your combination.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter carried my sons cz527 in 76239 one year. We were hunting area where shots Could be 20-150 yards. I had no problem using that in that close proximity As it has ballistic of 30/30.
Your blackout has “muzzle” velocity of 30/06 at 500 or 600? yards with 165 grain pill. which most consider that a stretch for the ol 06..
I’m sure it will work in right situation, Elk aren’t bullet proof, but in hunting things don’t always go as planned.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
It’s easy to tell who hunts elk to fill the freezer & who hunts to stoke the ego. I’m sure if by some fluke you are successful you’ll never stop posting about it encouraging more egotistical jackasses to give it a try.

Please let us know how it goes. Since you own a 45-70 & 308 it’s purely an ego thing. You could probably pay a hooker to scream a bunch during & tell you how great you are instead of having some poor elk suffer unnecessarily - but you do you.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done....

I didn't hear anybody say that.

Elk have been taken with everything from 44-40, patched round ball, arrows. Using the 300BO kind of puts you in that same camp, and same philosophy of use. It can work, but a lot can go wrong also.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done....

I didn't hear anybody say that.

Elk have been taken with everything from 44-40, patched round ball, arrows. Using the 300BO kind of puts you in that same camp, and same philosophy of use. It can work, but a lot can go wrong also.

Fair enough. Correction: "Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't be done"

Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk are very tough animals, can you kill one with 300 BLK, yes but many things can go wrong, rather use something more powerful, wouldn't want to wound it, lose it and let it suffer for a few days and die miles from where it was hit and not get your animal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Elk

deserve a proper cartridge & clean kill

Big & tough they are

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh

and yes....have two 300 BLK's

An Aero Precision AR & Ruger Ranch

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Despite all the lectures to the contrary, my guess is the round will work fine within its velocity window.

Me - I respect animals and don't view them as a platform to test theories or express ego. Therefore I wouldn't use a cartridge like the 300 BLK. As a "backpack hunter" myself, I like something more like the 6.5 CM, 7-08 or 308 Win. All have sufficient "power" out far or up close for a clean, humane kill, and have a reserve of power when things don't go quite as planned.

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Oh

Pretty much same/same here. 16" AR, and Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It's a neat little round. Also have a couple boxes of the Barnes 120gr TAC-TX on the reloading bench.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh

Pretty much same/same here. 16" AR, and Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It's a neat little round. Also have a couple boxes of the Barnes 120gr TAC-TX on the reloading bench.

Yes........the Ruger 300 BLK is a kool rifle/cartridge to mess around with

Agree with Brad...my last Utah late bull I used a 308 & 180 gr Swift bullets

Two quick shots @ 90 yards and he never left his bed

pic....Ruger BLK.......great close cover coyote rifle with 110 V max or Noslers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by tikkanut; 10/09/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Elkbelch

Shawn
Years ago I used a 7 br for deer alot, I switched from 120 gr Nosler to 140 gr Nos BT because it killed better with more expansion. Seems counter productive but the 120 gr bullet is tougher and Does not work as well out of single shot pistols.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Oh

Nice pic.

Mine,

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Oh

Nice pic.

Mine,

Looks like mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UpThePole
OP is a damned fool pot stirrer.

Next he'll tell us why Biden is the greatest US President ever.

He's going on ignore, you all should do the same.

I heard that it "takes one to know one" Mr. Pole (Larry Root)
You're pretty well known for trolling and stirring the pot.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hmm. I have never even used a 270 to shoot an elk ( I like more power) but plenty of people have. If we are talking about a 300 blackout, seems like he would be fine out to a max of say 200 yards. It should still have about 1700 ft lbs at 200 yards. Yes he will have to pick his shots carefully but I can see it would work very well if he is careful about shot placement.

Venor ergo sum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Hmm. I have never even used a 270 to shoot an elk ( I like more power) but plenty of people have. If we are talking about a 300 blackout, seems like he would be fine out to a max of say 200 yards. It should still have about 1700 ft lbs at 200 yards. Yes he will have to pick his shots carefully but I can see it would work very well if he is careful about shot placement.

The 300BO will push the 120gr TAC-TX to about 2200 fps in a 16" barrel.

That's 1300 ft-lbs at the muzzle, about 1080 ft-lbs at 100 yards, and 900 ft-lbs at 200 yards.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oh wow. I thought I was looking at ft lbs and was really looking at velocity. At those corrected numbers, I have to concur with everyone: the 300 BO is not an elk cartridge. At 100 yards or less, IF you make a perfect double lung shot, it may prove to be adequate. But unless I could hold the muzzle at point blank range, no way would I use that rifle.

Pigs are reported to be tough, and the are: I have killed a ton of them, but they are not anywhere close to as big and tough as an elk. And if I shoot a pig and he runs off to die: so what. They are in the same category as coyotes.

As stated: they WILL die….. eventually.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/10/22.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like to think any legal elk cartridge (300BO/762x39, 243 Win/6 Creed, etc) used within its effective range (and appropriate bullet!) is far more lethal than an arrow. I have a retired uncle who guides dozens of elk hunts for friends and family. He gave up archery elk years ago when he arrowed a cow in the rib, ran out of arrows chasing her, finally caught up to her when she got hung up in some rocks, and finished her off by driving the broken shaft into her lung with his finger. He's hunted with a rifle ever since. (I have nothing against archery hunting elk btw).

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/10/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

LOL.

CPW knows everything. It’s as good as the word of God. I’m so glad they settled it and we don’t have to discuss further.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep

LOL.

CPW knows everything. It’s as good as the word of God. I’m so glad they settled it and we don’t have to discuss further.

So true, CPW allows a 300 BLK, but not a 22-250 or Swift. I'd rather use either of those on elk than the 300 BLK...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL.

So true, CPW allows a 300 BLK, but not a 22-250 or Swift. I'd rather use either of those on elk than the 300 BLK...

That doesn't make any sense to me. How exactly would 22-250 be better for elk at close range than 300BO? Be specific, please.

I've killed elk like most of you or we wouldn't be on this thread. Most of us already know that killing power for larger game animals like elk is a function of penetration and wound channel. Penetration is a function of bullet sectional density and weight retention. Wound channel is a function of caliber and bullet expansion.

Assuming 22-250 is using the heaviest controlled expansion bullet available, it probably would penetrate similarly to the 300BO with Barnes 120gr. But the 300BO would leave a much wider diameter wound channel, making it a far superior choice over the 22-250 for elk.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/10/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No sense arguing with this loon, he knows it all. I'm blocking and moving on so as not to stroke his BIG ego!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Do yourself, (and the Elk) a favor and leave the 300 with the 8.4" long suppressor at home and bring your 308 with the 18" barrel. The 308 is plenty short to maneuver well in the brush. And even if there is a slim chance of breaking out into an opening and spotting an Elk out just past 200yds you will be glad you have it. I wouldn't risk an opportunity that may present itself. They are not always where you think they are gonna be. I killed a Bull Elk at 286yds thinking where I was hunting my shot would be under 100yds. I'm glad I had enough gun. Just saying, Its your tag. Good Luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL.

That doesn't make any sense to me. How exactly would 22-250 be better for elk at close range than 300BO? Be specific, please.

I've killed elk like most of you or we wouldn't be on this thread. Most of us already know that killing power for larger game animals like elk is a function of penetration and wound channel. Penetration is a function of bullet sectional density and weight retention. Wound channel is a function of caliber and bullet expansion.

Assuming 22-250 is using the heaviest controlled expansion bullet available, it probably would penetrate similarly to the 300BO with Barnes 120gr. But the 300BO would leave a much wider diameter wound channel, making it a far superior choice over the 22-250 for elk.

Hmm. SD for a .224/70 is .199 and for a .308/120 it’s .181.

So the 300 BLK is losing the SD war and really sucking hind tit when it comes to velocity and energy. Sure, it wins in frontal diameter, but velocity is what really churns up their insides and creates tissue damage outside of the actual path of the bullet.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

LOL.

So the 300 BLK is losing the SD war and really sucking hind tit when it comes to velocity and energy. Sure, it wins in frontal diameter, but velocity is what really churns up their insides and creates tissue damage outside of the actual path of the bullet.

The 300BO has plenty of velocity for "churning" inside its effective range (just like the 45-70). I took my first elk 17 years ago at 500 yards with a 338-06. The 210gr Partition was going approx 2,700 FPS at the muzzle and 1,950 FPS at the elk. I hit her broadside in the heart twice before she tipped over dead in her tracks. Both bullets recovered against the hide on the opposite side with perfect mushrooms.

The 300BO is going 2,100 FPS at the muzzle and is still going 1,887 FPS at 100 yards with a bullet designed for double-diameter expansion out to 300 yards.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/11/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Only one way to find out huh? Soooo….you’re willing to risk wounding that elk, unethically causing it to have a slow painful death…just to see if it can be done?

I’m no better than the next guy on here but I won’t be experimenting on a live animal just for kicks. The animal deserves better than this.

Good post Godogs57. We have all heard the stories of the lowlife poachers using 22magnums on elk. Like the op's choice, it can be done, but is not optimum. Somewhat reckless in his views. He obviously doesn't care if he wounds an elk or many elk. That is way more unethical than shooting an elk at 600 yards, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe ethics are not as much of an issue with some "hunters" guys, as I know a lot of elk get wounded by arrows every year. I'd rather be in the bring enough gun/weapon camp, than the other.. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LOL.

The 300BO has plenty of velocity for "churning" inside its effective range (just like the 45-70). I took my first elk 17 years ago at 500 yards with a 338-06. The 210gr Partition was going approx 2,700 FPS at the muzzle and 1,950 FPS at the elk. I hit her broadside in the heart twice before she tipped over dead in her tracks. Both bullets recovered against the hide on the opposite side with perfect mushrooms.

The 300BO is going 2,100 FPS at the muzzle and is still going 1,887 FPS at 100 yards with a bullet designed for double-diameter expansion out to 300 yards.

I’d tell you about RPMs and all copper bullets, but it would fly right over your pointy head.

If you’re so sure of yourself, why did you come here seeking validation for your decision? I whacked my first bull with a 7 mag. Sure as heck didn’t need to ask around about how it might work, since it’s a solid elk cartridge. My guess is, you’re not as confident in your mind as you act on here. When you didn’t get the approval from everyone, you raised your hackles instead of reconsidering your choice because you took it as an insult.

For the elk’s sake and not your own, good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To me this is like saying:

“I am not challenged by killing an elk with my bow using sharp blades any more. I want to make it more challenging. I am going to shoot an elk with a trocar point but no blades. I will only shoot out to 30 yards when I can shoot quarter sized groups. And I will
Wait for a broadside, leg forward shot so I can shoot him right through the heart. And a trocar is more accurate! Elk hearts are big! That will leave 2 holes in the heart and will surely kill him!”

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/12/22.

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I had to choose between a 300 BO with a supressor and a 308 due to 2” of length or weight, I would leave the supressor at home. Ear protection is very light.

Venor ergo sum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Stupid idea, elk deserve better. Leave that girlie gun home.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Found this review on Midway for the Barnes 120gr in 300BO

Attached Images
Capture.PNG (121.35 KB, 438 downloads)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I concur! This is a good combination for short yardage with a deer. You have killed elk, you know they are bigger, much bigger.

It is obvious that you can’t be talked out of this, so I will stop trying.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found this review on Midway for the Barnes 120gr in 300BO

So you scoured the net looking for an elk testimonial and that’s the best you could come up with, huh?

Hell, if it’ll take down a whitetail it must be good on elk too.

You’re good to go, then!!!

I wish CPW would follow that logic. You can kill deer all day long with all kinds of bullets in a .223. IIRC, someone on here used a 204 Ruger to kill a muley a few years back. Those must be good on elk too!!!

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to find out whenever I cash my Colorado points in. Maybe I’ll show them some Midway reviews from anonymous internet strangers and lobby CPW to change the law so I can hunt elk with a .204 Ruger. Do you think they’ll find it compelling??

If not, I’ll try an 85 gr ballistic tip out of a .257 WBY at 3800 fps. Nosler lists it as a “varmint” bullet, but CPW says it’s good to go, so I shouldn’t have anything to worry about!

It doesn’t hit 1800 fps until 700+ yards. DAYUM!!! I’m not a good enough shot to hit them twice through the heart at long range like you can, but I’ll sure try!

Laffin!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You KNOW the 308 will work but you DON’T KNOW if the BO will work…….Why is there even a question about which to use?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

You asked and didn't like the answer. Why bother?

Last edited by sidepass; 10/12/22.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is a thread showing gel test results for 30-30:

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/30-30-winchester-wcf-ballistics-gel-results.333709/

Here is a vid showing gel test results for 300BO:

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Free country and you can do what you want, but if I owned a .308 I'd use the .308 Win. The .308 just opens up more opportunities, when things don't go as planned. I've rarely had a hunt go as I planned it in my head.

Legality doesn't directly correlate to whats ethical. If by chance CPW questions your legality, and uses Banes ammunition as a refrence you wont be legal in Colorado. Hunting big game with the .300 BLK as rated by manufacturer the Barnes Vor-TX ammunition with 120 grain Tac‐X bullet only has 949 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards. So no, you're not as legal as a .243 Win.

Originally Posted by CO Big Game Legal Methods of Take
1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES

d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh a minimum of 70 grains for deer, pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.

If you're going to quote the reg, you need to quote the whole reg. Plus if you find yourself in legal trouble with the CPW over this cartridge do you want to afford the legal fees just to prove the internet wrong? It's so much easier to use the .308 Win and not have any worries.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Free country and you can do what you want, but if I owned a .308 I'd use the .308 Win. The .308 just opens up more opportunities, when things don't go as planned. I've rarely had a hunt go as I planned it in my head.

Legality doesn't directly correlate to whats ethical. If by chance CPW questions your legality, and uses Banes ammunition as a refrence you wont be legal in Colorado. Hunting big game with the .300 BLK as rated by manufacturer the Barnes Vor-TX ammunition with 120 grain Tac‐X bullet only has 949 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yards. So no, you're not as legal as a .243 Win.

1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES

d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh a minimum of 70 grains for deer, pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.

If you're going to quote the reg, you need to quote the whole reg. Plus if you find yourself in legal trouble with the CPW over this cartridge do you want to afford the legal fees just to prove the internet wrong? It's so much easier to use the .308 Win and not have any worries.

Thanks for catching that! Guess I'll have to buy some 120gr bullets for handloads and soup them up a fuzz.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES

Thanks for catching that! Guess I'll have to buy some 120gr bullets for handloads and soup them up a fuzz.

Bullets are on order now. Thanks again for your help, @taylorce1!

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/13/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What bullets did you order?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

What bullets did you order?

Barnes 120gr TAC-TX:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...amp;utm_content=product-description-link

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If you want to thank me use the .308 Win.

You really missed my whole point. .308 is easily legal, the .300 BLK is questionable at best. Even if you make it legal in your mind, it won't make it ethical IMO.

I don’t usually speak in forums but I actually signed up on this one because of this topic
I live in north idaho and hunt public lands all over the panhandle My ethics varies if it’s safe ok if it’s legal it depends on why it’s illegal but if there is a good chance that I can’t put the animal down quickly and humanely that’s not ok with me
The only requirement in idaho for big game is that it is center fire cartridge so you would be legal
Due to the covid cash and the biden bucks I had the money to get bunch of ar stuff 300blk being one of them soon as I saw it nah that aint going to happen so it is looking for a new owner didn’t waste the time putting it together I opted for 6.5 grendel after looking at ballistics and some of these gel videos it actually looks usable well I killed a old bear with it but it took four rounds 129gr eld hornady I think the two middle ones could have been me
First one broadside lungs 130yrds
Last yr I took shot at bear again 130 yards dont know why but that’s where I see most animals
He just trotted off
In the fall elk season same story on two different elk
Ten years ago I built another bolt rifle 500asquare seventy five paces 577gr barnes bullet 2500fps broadside back edge of the shoulder five by five bull
Took forty five minutes in the dark to find him upside down in bunch of blow down trees and brush because I heard his last breath moan
They are tough and they don’t deserve to be wasted or tortured
Also I don’t give up easily on finding animals anywhere from four hours to ten trying to find any sign and there are christmases without snow so it doesn’t make a hole all the way through not much chance of blood trail
Even 308 win hog hammer cartridge small muley 75 yrd broadside took three rnd the one I found on far side
Except for rifling marks you could have reloaded it
So I am back where I started with not using anything smaller than 250gr and 375+ caliber
77 is too old to walk very far just to see if the animal is there
I want to know I need to dress one
Bigholes

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Impressive vid showing quartering toward shot on a Russian boar with Barnes 110gr out of 300BO:

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tracker,

You seem to miss the point above. Barnes shows 949 ft/lbs at 100, under the required 1,000 ft/lbs at 100 yards even with the 120 grain.

This is the data the game warden will see.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/vor-tx-rifle/

fwiw - watched the video. At 3:15 and a while afterwards, the pig is still not dead, even with that being a small pig likely under 100#. Pretty unimpressed with that result. btw - that is a basic wild pig like we have a bunch of here.

I shoot a lot of pigs every year (and have them for breakfast most mornings) and see a lot shot. The .300 BO can work and also seen it not work. The .308 provides more consistent terminal results. An elk is a big step up.

Your .308 with a 150+ TTSX sure seems like a better choice.

Here are a couple of pig videos. Compare these to that .300 BO video with a much smaller pig.

First a .308 with a Barnes TTSX 130 grain, a 200#+ pig, then a .308 with a 175 SMK, about a 150# pig. Notice they both are dead and go straight down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Man Convinced Against His Will, Is of the Same Opinion Still...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A Man Convinced Against His Will, Is of the Same Opinion Still...

His handle does seem to be well chosen.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am not convinced he actually ordered bullets to work up a “hotter” load with. And how does he prove that is is legal to a game warden?

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am not convinced he actually ordered bullets to work up a “hotter” load with. And how does he prove that is is legal to a game warden?

Don't have to convince the game warden since most 300BO supersonic ammmo meets the requirement. Here is the order:

Attached Images
Capture.PNG (93.06 KB, 382 downloads)
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/14/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Don't have to convince the game warden since most 300BO supersonic ammmo meets the requirement. Here is the order:

No, most do not meet the legal requirements. There are very few .300 BLK supersonic factory loads that meet the 1000 ft-lb requirement at 100 yards. Just spend some time doing some actual research and you'd know this.

How do I know? I hunt and shoot the .300 BLK in a RAR and AR-15. I only use it out of state where I don't have to meet ft-lbs requirements.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Looks like this park ranger thought the 300BO was a good choice for an elk population control hunt:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96196

Bull only went 10 yards after one shot.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/14/22.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I really like the 180gn Barnes TSX in .30-06. I know it's a little heavy for deer, lol, but my ol' Valmet seems to shoot the heavier bullets better...

I agree with the other guys, though. At that close a range, I bet it hit some bone (several times) and had a rollercoaster journey through the deer.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
If you have to ask about a marginal cartridge, you probably already answered your own question.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hmm. The guy promised pics and never delivered. So don’t know if legit post or not.

Venor ergo sum
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hmm. The guy promised pics and never delivered. So don’t know if legit post or not.

I think he's got a few more weeks before the season ends.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The link/ post was from 2015!

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/15/22.

Venor ergo sum
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I stand corrected.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Still tracking??

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hahaha. Now that is funny. I dont care who you are

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Time to work up a ladder test!

Attached Images
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/16/22.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why? After all the no’s and better options.
You do you buddy

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Work up a ladder test for a 100 yard elk cartridge?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

To meet the CPW min energy reg per previous posts

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

How do you think that will work in the field?

The game warden looks online at the manufacturer’s data as required by the reg, sees less than 1,000 ft/lbs at 100.

What do you then say to convince a game warden he or she is wrong and to ignore the online data?

Please explain, truly curious.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by jeffbird

How do you think that will work in the field?

The game warden looks online at the manufacturer’s data as required by the reg, sees less than 1,000 ft/lbs at 100.

What do you then say to convince a game warden he or she is wrong and to ignore the online data?

Please explain, truly curious.

Easy. I tell him/her that I’m shooting handloads, not factory ammo. They’re welcome to chrono them if they want. It won’t be difficult to get another 100+ FPS with handloads.

The most popular 110gr factory ammo (Hornady Black and Barnes Vor-Tx) meets the requirement anyway, so I don’t expect them to ask.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/18/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wouldn’t be my first choice but it would work with a perfect shot snd perfect shot presentation inside of 100 yards. Not easy to comeby hunting Elk on public land. My preferred Elk rifle and load is 300 Win Mag loaded with 200 gr Partitions. My backup rifle is a 270 with 150 gr Partitions. Which I consider to be on the marfinsl side for Elk. If that tells you anything about what I think about using a 300 BLK for Elk.

Last edited by strat1080; 10/18/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by strat1080
My backup rifle is a 270 with 150 gr Partitions. Which I consider to be on the marfinsl side for Elk.

How many elk have you killed with this combo to lead you to this conclusion?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My backup rifle is a 270 with 150 gr Partitions. Which I consider to be on the marfinsl side for Elk.

Lol…..

I’ve killed around 30 elk with a 270 and 150g NPT’s, including a 750lb+ bull going directly away from me at ~300 yds.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You realize the purpose of a ladder test, don’t you?

No need for one to hit something the size of an elk at 100 yards.

I think you read a lot of fancy words on the internet but don’t really know what they are.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

You realize the purpose of a ladder test, don’t you?

No need for one to hit something the size of an elk at 100 yards.

I think you read a lot of fancy words on the internet but don’t really know what they are.

Obviously I’m not trying to find the accuracy node for this application. Just working up to max pressure for my rifle to meet the CPW energy reg.

I learned how to reload with the hard copy manuals before there was even good info on the internet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
before there was even good info on the internet.

Thanks for the laugh!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I think the 270 works fine on Elk. My comment was more of a denigration of the OP’s cartridge of choice than a slight of the 270. If I didn’t find the 270 sufficient for Elk I wouldn’t use it as my backup Elk rifle.

I used to do a lot of combination Mule Deer/Elk hunts and found that the 270 and 300 WM were an excellent combination for that type of hunting. The rifle I chose for a given day depended on the terrain I was hunting and what I expected to encounter. My 270 is significantly lighter than my 300 WM so sometimes that impacted my decision. Like I said, I didn’t find the 270 inadequate for Elk specifically, I just preferred the massive SD and energy of the 200 gr Partitions coming out of the 300 WM. I tend to load up the 130 gr Partition in the 270 and it’s a dandy performer. I think the 270 is the perfect mountain rifle cartridge. Good energy and ballistics with tolerable recoil in a lightweight rifle.

Last edited by strat1080; 10/19/22.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So let me get this straight…you have to work up a load to max or above max just to meet the minimum requirements? What’s that tell you?!?
The elk/Animal deserve better to be honest with you.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dre
So let me get this straight…you have to work up a load to max or above max just to meet the minimum requirements? What’s that tell you?!?

Can’t be any less humane than an arrow. Much more energy than one besides for whatever that’s worth. Dead is dead. Go back and re-read the OP. Most shots will be at archery ranges.

And almost all of us hunt elk for sport. Using a specialty weapon for a specialty hunt only makes sense.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/20/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Using a specialty weapon for a specialty hunt only makes sense.

That might be the silliest thing I've read on this forum in quite a while.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is what I can guarantee will NOT happen with this whole fiasco. If the OP shoots an elk with his BO, and it runs off and he doesn’t recover it, you can bet the farm he will NOT get on this thread and say,….

“Y’all were right.”

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 10/20/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This guy's a Colorado Biden/Harris voter, Liberal Dimorat, Dumber than Hell, if you expect a accurate report on his 300 blk out hunt for Elk your dreaming. Rio7

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m pretty sure this ding dong is trolling you guys. At least I hope so.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dre

Can’t be any less humane than an arrow. Much more energy than one besides for whatever that’s worth. Dead is dead. Go back and re-read the OP. Most shots will be at archery ranges.

And almost all of us hunt elk for sport. Using a specialty weapon for a specialty hunt only makes sense.

Dead IS dead, but dead can be a mile or two from where you shot the animal. There are several accomplished elk hunters on this thread telling you your idea sucks. It would behoove you to heed their advice.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 10/20/22.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Finally, someone with relevant experience taking a bull with the 300BO:

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RIO7
This guy's a Colorado Biden/Harris voter, Liberal Dimorat, Dumber than Hell, if you expect a accurate report on his 300 blk out hunt for Elk your dreaming. Rio7
That or he won’t notch his tag and keep hunting untill he tags out.
We are Wasting time typing trying to steer someone in a right direction.
Their mind is or was already made up before asking this silly question

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Trolls, they be trolls and are everywhere come election time...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

He could of said he used a .22 Hornet, all that video is of is a dead elk.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
This thread is still alive ?

Is there no end to stupidity ?

As for the fat guy with the baby elk --- we don't shoot the little ones .

Paranoia strikes deep
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Ironically there was nothing “special” about his hunt until he handicapped himself by choice.

TracksWapiti what are you looking for btw, some sort of affirmation? The 300 BO is on the lower end of $hit choices, there is the simple answer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

[quote=TracksWapiti]Finally, someone with relevant experience taking a bull with the 300BO:

There you go. Total affirmation. You didn’t need us after all, and we certainly didn’t help you at all.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/21/22.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by smallfry

Ironically there was nothing “special” about his hunt until he handicapped himself by choice.

TracksWapiti what are you looking for btw, some sort of affirmation? The 300 BO is on the lower end of $hit choices, there is the simple answer.

Not at all. Go back and re-read the OP. I was simply informing the group that I’ll be sharing post-hunt results soon in case anyone was interested. And I was interested in any experience the group has taking elk with 300BO.

At no point have I asked for anyone’s opinion on cartridge choice as the decision was already made based on my own research specifically with Barnes bullets and not the opinions/validation of others.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/21/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh

Nice pic.

Mine,

Nice, mine. 700AAC with a Model7 barrel, Faux Ti inlet for a PTG DBM, Timney, SWFA 1-4x.

Have a PSA 16” lightweight upper with a 1-4x on it also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/21/22.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smallfry

Not at all. Go back and re-read the OP. I was simply informing the group that I’ll be sharing post-hunt results soon in case anyone was interested. And I was interested in any experience the group has taking elk with 300BO.

At no point have I asked for anyone’s opinion on cartridge choice as the decision was already made based on my own research specifically with Barnes bullets and not the opinions/validation of others.
Ok well you just stated above you wanted to hear other people’s experiences which would include their opinion.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ladder test loaded with Lil’ Gun and ready to shoot tomorrow

Attached Images
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Despite all the lectures to the contrary, my guess is the round will work fine within its velocity window.

Me - I respect animals and don't view them as a platform to test theories or express ego. Therefore I wouldn't use a cartridge like the 300 BLK. As a "backpack hunter" myself, I like something more like the 6.5 CM, 7-08 or 308 Win. All have sufficient "power" out far or up close for a clean, humane kill, and have a reserve of power when things don't go quite as planned.

My .02

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Impressive vid of 300BO Barnes 110gr TAC-TX dropping a buffalo in its tracks:

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/25/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

There are a lot of game regulations across the country that have little to do with conventional wisdom.

Here in Montana there are no caliber (or cartridge) restrictions for hunting big game animals. You could use a .22 short and be legal, but that doesn't make a .22 rimfire an elk cartridge.

I have several friends that have killed a pile of elk and even a few buffalo with their .22-250's and .220 Swift shooting 52 and 55 grain bullets, but that also doesn't make me think that those are good elk cartridges.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are a lot of game regulations across the country that have little to do with conventional wisdom.

Or logic, or physics.

For example, I believe in Kentucky a minimum 270 bore size is required for a rifle cartridge to hunt elk. So a 7mm-08, which is perfectly fine, is legal but a 6.5-300 Weatherby isn't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Impressive vid of 300BO Barnes 110gr TAC-TX dropping a buffalo in its tracks:

Pretty easy to kill livestock from the feed truck at close range. It isn't the same as hunting elk.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ladder test results attached. Got an additional 335 FPS with handloads, bringing energy up to 1357 FT-LBS @ 100 YDS, which beats the CPW reg by 36%

It’s only 100 FPS slower than my .308!

Attached Images
unnamed.jpg (19.24 KB, 311 downloads)
unnamed 12.jpg (52.95 KB, 299 downloads)
unnamed 5.jpg (33.63 KB, 299 downloads)
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/26/22.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Stupid idea.
I agree. Years ago I did it as an youngster with the 300 Whisper. Stupid practice. Very stupid and I should've had my head examined.

Well what happened?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Your 308 only shoots 130 gr bullets at 2500 fps? Is it a pistol?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by plumbum

Your 308 only shoots 130 gr bullets at 2500 fps? Is it a pistol?

It’s an 18” .308 shooting Barnes 168gr TTSX @ 2,500 FPS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd still rather have a 168 gr TTSX at 2500 than a 120 at 2400. You'll just have a better reaction and more penetration, and it'll open up better shot opportunities. I took my elk last year with the 130 grain TTSX at 3000 fps from my suppressed 18" .308 M700, but it still took three shots.

I broke his onside shoulder with the first shot dropping him, I put a second shot into the crease where his neck and shoulder meet. The third shot was a finisher as when I got to him as he was still trying to lift his head. I didn't have a single exit except for the finisher, and I did the gutless method so I didn't try to recover the bullets.

While it worked for me, I firmly believe a heavier and slower bullet would have worked better and given greater penetration. I might of had both front shoulders broken if I had used a 168 gr TTSX at 2500 fps. No doubt you can kill an elk with a .300 BLK, but I wasn't all that happy with my results from a light bullet going much faster than you can produce.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Taylor, that experience and feedback is meaningful and helpful. Thanks for taking time to share that.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd still rather have a 168 gr TTSX at 2500 than a 120 at 2400. You'll just have a better reaction and more penetration, and it'll open up better shot opportunities. I took my elk last year with the 130 grain TTSX at 3000 fps from my suppressed 18" .308 M700, but it still took three shots.

I broke his onside shoulder with the first shot dropping him, I put a second shot into the crease where his neck and shoulder meet. The third shot was a finisher as when I got to him as he was still trying to lift his head. I didn't have a single exit except for the finisher, and I did the gutless method so I didn't try to recover the bullets.

While it worked for me, I firmly believe a heavier and slower bullet would have worked better and given greater penetration. I might of had both front shoulders broken if I had used a 168 gr TTSX at 2500 fps. No doubt you can kill an elk with a .300 BLK, but I wasn't all that happy with my results from a light bullet going much faster than you can produce.

Thanks for sharing. How close was the shot and how soon did you walk up on the bull after shooting?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First two shots were around 265 yards, final shot was probably 30 minutes later after I went back to round up my gear. I left sitting on the rock I was glassing from, it would have been a 600+ yard shot from where I was glassing. I could probably have taken a 600 yard shot, but I was bleeding velocity and energy with the 130 gr TTSX and knew closer was the better option.

FYI if you run numbers you'll see my load at 265 yards is close to the same as your numbers at the muzzle of your .300 BLK.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Taylor I'm with you on the 168 TTSX / 308. It certainly is a penetrator, though I've only used the 165 TSX variety. I don't have a lot of experience with mono's, but enough to convince me the shrapnel effect of copper/lead bullets kill quicker, and I've taken enough elk with a variety of 165 bullets with the 308 to know they will usually penetrate through an elk. I get the benefits of leadless meat, but I'm still of the opinion copper hulls with lead cores kill quicker.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Taylor I'm with you on the 168 TTSX / 308. It certainly is a penetrator, though I've only used the 165 TSX variety.

Brad I've never used the 168 TTSX, I simply refrenced the OP's load he has worked up for his .308 Win. Last year was the first time I've hunted with a .308 Win, and I'll be honest I had a little over a month to get it ready for the hunt after I got it back from my smith. I really wanted to hunt with my suppressor so I rushed some things before my elk hunt.

While I can and do reload I used factory ammunition for the hunt. I tried a few brands PPU, Hornady, Winchester, and Barnes as time was short until my hunt and I wanted to shoot more than be at the reloading bench. The Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain probably shot the best by a small margin over the Barnes. However, I decided to go with the Barnes thinking the monometal construction would give me a penetration advantage.

I got an elk so it all worked out, but I do think I was too much in the margins.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Monos need speed to work better.
I shoot 168 ttsx at 2850 out of my 06.
The 308 with short barrel should be shooting 150s to get as much speed as possible.
This thread is getting stupid

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dre
The 308 with short barrel should be shooting 150s to get as much speed as possible.

168 grain TTSX is supposed to expand down to 1500 fps, the 150 grain TTSX is rated down to 2000 fps according to Barnes FWIW.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

168 grain TTSX is supposed to expand down to 1500 fps, the 150 grain TTSX is rated down to 2000 fps according to Barnes FWIW.

It’s Why I shoot 168s. Thought it was 1600. Still low. There are the newer LRX that have fairly low minimum velocity as well.
With those ballistics where would the 150 and 168 be at their max distance to work properly?
Thankfully the OP only plans on 100 yard shots

Last edited by Dre; 10/27/22.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The stupidity on this site never ceases to amaze me.... A 300 Blkout for Elk WOW

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Post-hunt results attached as promised

Attached Images
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Congrats on your success.

Can you fill in some of the other info. Things like shot distance, point of impact, penetration, damage, time/distance to drop?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Can you fill in some of the other info. Things like shot distance, point of impact, penetration, damage, time/distance to drop?

Thanks!

Heart shot him broadside at 100 yards with one shot. He went maybe 70 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet from hide on the other side (pics attached). Bullet laced between ribs

Attached Images
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/05/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal, congrat's. As I said, I figured it would work fine - I just think there's far wiser choices out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Thanks!

Heart shot him broadside at 100 yards with one shot. He went maybe 70 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet from hide on the other side (pics attached). Bullet laced between ribs

Nice!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congratulations Tracker.

Glad it worked out.

Nice looking animal. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

Marlin in 45/70 or 444 would have came to my mind first!

Funny…. but if u bore a big hole in the barrel………

And cut them shorter….

They get lighter

But I am Anus 1895!

Once again…well done!

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/05/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good shot on the bull.

Semper Fi
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, fellas!

This was my first bull, and it made an impression on me after spending 5 hours and as many disposable skinning blades quartering and hanging the meat. Much bigger task and animal than my previous cows.

The fact that the bullet didn’t exit with a broadside shot between ribs was underwhelming to say the least. After seeing the size of his shoulder bones, I doubt I would’ve recovered him with a quartering toward shot.

As soon as I got off the mountain, I went to the same Walmart I bought my tag at and purchased the same rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I look forward to carrying it with Buffalo Bore 275gr Barnes on board going forward.

I’ll hang onto the 300 BLK for my son to learn with on deer and cow elk.

Attached Images
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on a good Elk. Glad everything worked out for you with a nice broadside shot. Smart decision to leave the 300 BLK at home on the next Bull Elk hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, fellas!

This was my first bull, and it made an impression on me after spending 5 hours and as many disposable skinning blades quartering and hanging the meat. Much bigger task and animal than my previous cows.

The fact that the bullet didn’t exit with a broadside shot between ribs was underwhelming to say the least. After seeing the size of his shoulder bones, I doubt I would’ve recovered him with a quartering toward shot.

As soon as I got off the mountain, I went to the same Walmart I bought my tag at and purchased the same rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I look forward to carrying it with Buffalo Bore 275gr Barnes on board going forward.

Tracks, I want to compliment you on how you've handled yourself on this thread given some fairly stout criticism from a few here. You remained respectful. I also want to thank you for your honest reporting after the hunt. Again, congrats and best of luck on future hunts.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Huh, elk aren't bulletproof? Say it ain't so!

Congrats!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, fellas!

Tracks, I want to compliment you on how you've handled yourself on this thread given some fairly stout criticism from a few here. You remained respectful. I also want to thank you for your honest reporting after the hunt. Again, congrats and best of luck on future hunts.

Thanks, Brad, for the kind words. Appreciate everyone’s experience and perspective on this thread. Glad to be of service with providing some real-world data for consideration re the 300 BLK on elk.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Can I get some help from you all with aging this bull? (Pics attached).

I scored him last night at 241 inches gross (6x6). One of his hindquarters weighed in at 55 lbs.

He was bedded down by himself when we caught up to him tracking, which made me wonder is he’s a herd bull, but he doesn’t seem big-bodied enough.

Attached Images
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/07/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tracks, hard to say given the picture quality.

Also, the best way to age an elk is with the lower jaw/teeth.

Will say, the rack doesn't look like it has much mass or length (again, pictures aren't very good), and the ivories are pretty rounded and large. An older elk will have ivories that are pretty flat, and when really old, worn down to the gum line. My guess is your bull is no more than 4.5 yo at the oldest, and possibly a 3.5 yo.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks, fellas!

I echo Brad's compliments here. I would have told the whole group to fuuck off or eat crow after posting pics.

I didn't think your choice was a bad one for close-range shots, but I saw an increased likelihood for a rodeo. It didn't happen. Good job on getting a good bull with your chosen tool. It really is the Indian, far more than the arrow, regardless of the opinions of grumpy old men.

Now, handload that Bushmaster to REAL pressures, and show off your next bull!

I should add that among the animals I've hunted, that is likely a 3.5 yo bull.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 11/07/22. Reason: Addition

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, fellas, for your help aging this bull. Here’s a better look at him attached

Attached Images
IMG-2735.5.jpg (29.63 KB, 197 downloads)
IMG-2736.5.jpg (32.81 KB, 197 downloads)
IMG-2737.5.jpg (35.61 KB, 197 downloads)
IMG-2738.5.jpg (30.82 KB, 196 downloads)
IMG-2747.5.jpg (18.98 KB, 196 downloads)
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/11/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good job. Euro mount turned out nice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I love the Euro mount look. And I can do it myself.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on getting your bull, and for posting the follow up report. I've always said that bullet placement is most important, but I still wouldn't recommend a .300 BO as an elk cartridge.

As to the age of your bull, because of the length of the 5th and 6th points, I would think that this was his first set of 6 point antlers, making him 3.5 or 4.5 years old. Should be great eating.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice elk. Thanks for your honest review. .450 Bushmaster will do the job nicely at the ranges you are hunting.

Todd

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks for the follow up. As a big fan of the 300 blackout for our little deer, I was curious how this turned out. I figured it would work, but as you showed there are much better options. Even in the same platform.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on your bull.
I’m glad you came to your senses after this experiment and can understand why some of us were not recommending the 300BLK.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A local shop owner killed a very large bull shooting Hornady 195g subx subsonic loads from and AR pistol a few years ago. It was a fenced pay to play hunt about like going out in your pasture to shoot a moo cow. It worked but wouldn't be on my list of weapons for a wild elk hunt. I don't like to have to pass on anything but short perfect unpressurred shots though.

After have to shoot a cow elk twice with a 7-08 a few years ago even though the first was well placed and watching a cow take a solid shoulder hit from a 180g .308 accubond and then disappeared after a mile and a half of uphill tracking I prefer a little extra power on elk.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks!

Congrats on your elk!

What's the other rifle leaning up against the tree?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.