Hop To
Page 45 of 81 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 80 81
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by johnn
Some serious wacko cultists here that dont believe in science and shore know how to express it in the most Christian like way.

Yer all going to the big pig roast near as I can figure. After attempting to read a page or two, anyone that thinks christianity is gonna save themselves from the "big hereafter" is nothing but a selfish oaf...

Christians are fortunate that they need not save themselves from anything.

Absolutely!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw
Some serious wacko cultists here that dont believe in science and shore know how to express it in the most Christian like way.

Yer all going to the big pig roast near as I can figure. After attempting to read a page or two, anyone that thinks christianity is gonna save themselves from the "big hereafter" is nothing but a selfish oaf...

Indeed...

Grace...

Easy as pie... or as impossible as moving a mountain.

Each man makes his own choices.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Antlers,

1-God has not lost one single individual he intended to catch. He is far above the need for a good salesperson. We are to present the Gospel, not convince people.

2-Thousands of years later, how distorted would the Gospel be without reliance on documentation? A good story changes daily and is highly distorted in a week.

3-Der Fuhrer and the Third Reich's first and foremost approach was corruption of the Church, obviously ignoring Biblical principles. It worked with the majority of the Germans, who originally had no ill intentions, buying into the Third Reich's ideology as Christian! What would Bonhoeffer have done without the Bible as the rock?

4-Without reliance on the Bible, how are we to discern false prophets?

Statistics related to the fad of fake churches which are nothing more than country clubs is meaningless. They need to go away, as they are Satans best weapon. I've long said Satin would rather you be in most churches in the United States than a strip club. There you sit on Sunday morning, feeling all good about yourself, headed straight to hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That line from the Apostles' Creed "he descended into hell" is true but it's been twisted by some churches. They say that Jesus suffered in hell. That's not scriptural. Jesus did descend into hell, but not for punishment. He went as the supreme God to tell those suffering there that all was accomplished.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by IZH27
As I’ve previously said, I’m not very familiar with Unitarian doctrine. Is your statement consistent with Unitarianism?
Maybe so, I can't make much sense of the trinity thing, and I do not believe Jesus claimed to be God. I believe he claimed to and did in fact speak for God.

As for the Ebionites, almost all we know about them was written by their enemies. And what their enemies say about them indicates to me that they were much closer to original Christianity than the Catholics of the last many centuries and Southern Baptists of today are.

I believe there were additions and redactions and outright forgeries in the compilation of the New Testament but I'm positive that Matthew, Jesus, James, and the writer of Revelation managed to get their message through. I do believe it quite possible the first 2 chapters of Matthew were additions not written until a later time when it became important to emphasize a virgin birth.

Are you by chance Roman Catholic?

I appreciate you answering questions about Unitarianism. It’s one sectthat I have not studied. I was surprised to find that it was part of the counter reformation and that the movement has the long history that it does.

From what I’m reading, in addition to not accepting the doctrine of the trinity, Unitarianism denies original sin.

When thinking about that and the idea of salvation how does a Unitarian look at the saving work of Christ, salvation, how salvation is defined? How does one know that they are saved?

As to Roman Catholicism, I am not. My 56 years has been an interesting pathway from an Ana Baptist upbringing to Lutheranism. I am a member of a LCMS congregation.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Theists tend to lack conviction in the existence of any and every version of God (or gods) other than their own. All are atheists with just one version of god removed.

Wrong....I believe in God the Bible....if another person only believes in, for example, Spinoza's version.....good for him...I have no qualms with that...

So, do you believe that Spinoza was right about the nature of God? I wasn't talking about respecting what he or others believe. I respect your right to believe, but do not share it.

The point was that there are different versions of the idea of God, which are not compatible.

You may respect Spinoza's belief, yet not accept his version of God. Which means that you don't believe in his version of God. The same goes for Hindus, Muslims, etc, you may respect their belief, but not accept their theology.

I forgot to add previously that you last paragraph correct for me.

Good, but it wasn't really the point. The point being, that regardless of your expression of respect for believers and other religions, you don't believe in the reality of the God of Spinoza or the gods Hinduism or its central creator Brahman, or any version of God or gods but your own version, your own Christian theology.

That was the point.

That is true....yes, I only believe in God the Bible, but I thought you knew that....and as I stated many times, I do respect others beliefs and would not diss them...

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Every single Atheist & every single Satanist ( same /same) knows that God exists and Jesus is as real as the air that they breathe !

THEY have waged war on God forever and slaughtered many millions of Christians since the Resurrection

The demons won't let their souls rest & constantly command them to lash out & attack Christians, they don't seek to understand why and do as instructed, their hatred is their driving force , it burns .... & they react

They don't understand the demonic possession because it is so subtle and explain it away as their belief in "science" ... even though science proves the existence of God in every waking moment of every human on the planet

Satan is a liar and his human God haters carry his image

Well that was totally devoid of facts and truth. I feel bad for having wasted time reading and responding to that. How's your collection of dildo pics going?

You 2 guys/girls from down under see what we mean by calling you bots/trolls?

The behavior wasn't unexpected. Perceived persecution brings out the worst in you sinners. I don't sin and my life is just great, immune like any other normal person to the name calling that the kids on here love to partake in.

That’s not it at all! It’s you and your dipshit cohort and your constant tangents about nothing. You serve to disrupt and nothing more. You have declared yourself to be an “anti-theist” and you come on the religious threads and wonder why you get pushed back?…..come on man! 😂

When you’re repeatedly told over and over that you’re a dumbfuck by multiple people in multiple threads at different times and in different places and you don’t think it’s true doesn’t mean everyone else is wrong……but you continue to play you cupcake and feign the victim.

Or you could shut thefuck up and participate in threads that don’t require you and your girlfriend twiddly dumbfuck ruining them.

You’ve stated your motives and we understand what you’re saying…..that’s why you are considered ass wipes. 😉…..the fact you’re Australian just makes it that more ironic. That dump of dirty DNA is obvious in you two.

Nasty, bitter and twisted, bile and hatred. So much for good Christian values.

Maybe so, maybe so....but sometimes I feel the same as Aces...and sometimes I feel you two are Demons trying to corrupt our Christian values.....and I can assure Aces is not speaking with nasty, bitter and twisted, bile and hatred....just please halt your responses regarding why our Christian beliefs are synonymous to believing in Santa, fairy-tailes, and unicorns. We know you two are atheist, that is your choice, so be it......and there is a difference between normal polite discussions and pissing people off discussions.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Theists tend to lack conviction in the existence of any and every version of God (or gods) other than their own. All are atheists with just one version of god removed.

Wrong....I believe in God the Bible....if another person only believes in, for example, Spinoza's version.....good for him...I have no qualms with that...

So, do you believe that Spinoza was right about the nature of God? I wasn't talking about respecting what he or others believe. I respect your right to believe, but do not share it.

The point was that there are different versions of the idea of God, which are not compatible.

You may respect Spinoza's belief, yet not accept his version of God. Which means that you don't believe in his version of God. The same goes for Hindus, Muslims, etc, you may respect their belief, but not accept their theology.

Maybe we should start calling you "twister" and not a bot/troll... because you twist people's words into a vegetable salad of words.... I'll say it again, but this time you should read slowly....you originally said...>>>Theists tend to lack conviction in the existence of any and every version of God (or gods) other than their own. All are atheists with just one version of god removed.<<<

And I replied....>>>Wrong....I believe in God the Bible....if another person only believes in, for example, Spinoza's version.....good for him...I have no qualms with that...<<<

When I stated I have no qualms with that, maybe it would be clearer to you if I added let him/her believe what they want and do not ridicule them.

I think you may be making up little excuses and stories. Show me where I have twisted anything that anyone has said.

One example will do.

This one....>>>So, do you believe that Spinoza was right about the nature of God? I wasn't talking about respecting what he or others believe.<<<

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ctsmith,

The Apostle Paul, in his 1st letter to the Corinthians, makes a pretty clear justification for adjusting one’s approach based on who one’s audience is. What was his mission…? “Win” em’ and “save” em’. What was his approach…? Whatever it took to “win” em’ and “save” em’. He wasn’t committed to a method, but he was clearly committed to a mission.

“… so that by all possible means I might save some.” Which means…? “All possible means.” So he might take one approach one day and a different approach a different day ~ are we reading him right…? “All possible means.” Is that really necessary…~ shouldn’t we just present the Gospel and let the seed fall where it may…? “All possible means.”

Ain’t it enough to just present the Gospel the same way every time regardless of who one’s audience is…? “All possible means.” Why go to such lengths…? “… for the sake of the Gospel.”

Why shouldn’t we opt for the “all possible means” approach…? Why shouldn’t we decide to do whatever it takes…? Our culture nowadays clearly questions biblical authority. So, like Paul, why shouldn’t we adapt our approach to reach other’s…? Especially in light of the decline in Christianity that was mentioned in the OP…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The unfortunate reality of history is that more often than not it is not the method that is changed but the method that changes the message.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Antlers,

Interpret how you want, but when Paul said by all means possible I don't believe he meant depart from scripture. I'm sure I can turn up plenty of Paul's writings that stress the importance of scripture.

Again, without scripture, how do we discern? Who is the authority?

Jesus himself said that whoever will not accept you, shake the dust from your feet when leaving their home. He failed to mention "winning" techniques. Many of Jesus interactions were quite opposite of "winning". Jesus told the anxious young rich man who seemed thirsty to be a disciple to sale all his possessions and follow him. To this the man dropped his head and moped away. Not a very "winning" answer from Jesus.

Again, I see the decline of "Christianity" (as loosely defined in this thread) a good thing, most are frauds. Satan is the master of deception. Its evident you aren't on the right path in the strip club drunk as Cooter Brown while your wife and kids are back at home.

Straight from the mouth of Jesus:

"On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers'"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw

Thats news, be specific as all the "Christian" religious I am familar with dangle the afterlife BS

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But I’m simply advocating for a different approach…one that’s focused on the event-based version of our faith rather than on the text-based version of our faith…not a different message. It’s about approach, not theology. I understand that it ‘feels’ like theology to some ~ and maybe even threatening theology to some.

But is the foundation of Christianity theology…? Or is it an event in history….? Paul said that apart from that event in history…the resurrection…our faith is useless. I’d add that apart from ‘that’ event, our theology is useless as well. It makes sense to me that we should be driving home the reality of the resurrection every chance we get…!

The approach that most of us grew up with simply doesn’t work anymore in our present culture. In a culture that had high regard for the Bible from the get-go, a traditional approach held its own. But those days are over. And they’ve been over for a long time.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There has always been a school of thought that is Gnostic and expects as standard extra biblical revelation.

An Assembly of God pastor once told me that they believe in private revelation but that they always check that against scripture.

Well heck. If I’m going back to the Bible to confirm a “revelation” why wouldn’t I just spend that time and energy to go to the text in the first place and out in the effort to understand what’s there?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antlers
But I’m simply advocating for a different approach…one that’s focused on the event-based version of our faith rather than on the text-based version of our faith…not a different message. It’s about approach, not theology. I understand that it ‘feels’ like theology to some ~ and maybe even threatening theology to some.

This I can agree with. You are just being a provocateur. grin I've known all along that you don't minimize the authority of Scripture. But sometimes your postings come across that way.

And no, I don't believe a witness should drop a Bible in man's lap and the job is done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

But is the foundation of Christianity theology…? Or is it an event in history….? Paul said that apart from that event in history…the resurrection…our faith is useless. I’d add that apart from ‘that’ event, our theology is useless as well. It makes sense to me that we should be driving home the reality of the resurrection every chance we get…!

The approach that most of us grew up with simply doesn’t work anymore in our present culture. In a culture that had high regard for the Bible from the get-go, a traditional approach held its own. But those days are over. And they’ve been over for a long time.

A different approach? other than the God-breathed scripture that is beneficial for doctrine, for proof, for correction, for instruction? 2 Timothy 3:16-17. God’s scripture is our guide for our faith, what we believe, and what we practice. It outdoes man’s views, man’s opinions, man’s traditions, and man’s interpretations, no?

The sufficiency of scripture is a cornerstone of our faith. The writers of scripture spoke from God, not of themselves and were carried along by the Holy Spirit, 2 Peter 1:21. Scripture came from God, not men.

Theology itself is a study of scripture, and scripture, the Word of God, teaches us how to understand the revelation of God and the God of the Bible Himself. Scripture governs theology, not the other way around.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

There are traditions in which what you’re saying happens every Lord’s Day in The Supper.

The real event is laid forth in the words of consecration and the sacrificed body & blood consumed by those present through the elements. It is quite literally a Christian Passover.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

Thats news, be specific as all the "Christian" religious I am familar with dangle the afterlife BS

The core message of Christianity is that God has sent His Son to live the perfect life we cannot live, to die, and to be raised so that those who look to that Son in faith may be forgiven.

We don’t save ourselves at all. Everything that needs to be done has been done by God Himself.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
How do ye know?

Don't even think about telling me" Faith".

Yeah, you don't know.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In the book of Acts, Luke documents 4 different instances where Peter and Paul both adjusted their approaches based upon who their audiences were. And they adjusted their approaches based upon the assumptions of their audiences. They tailored and adapted their approaches accordingly, but their core message remained the same.

That’s all I’m suggesting.

In Acts 2, Peter was preaching to Jews…who held their scriptures in high regards…and he leveraged their scriptures to connect their existing beliefs to a current event ~ their Messiah had come, they killed Him, and God raised Him from the dead.

In Acts 10, Peter was preaching to Gentiles, and he didn’t leverage scripture at all…he didn’t quote from scripture at all…because they didn’t consider the Jewish Scriptures authoritative. So Peter focused on the well-known and verifiable events surrounding Jesus’ life and death, and His resurrection. And he drove it home that Jesus came for Jews ‘and’ Gentiles.

Peter’s messages differed in their approach, but both messages had the ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus as their central theme because that’s what mattered most. And that’s still what matters most.

In Acts 13, Paul is in a synagogue preaching to Jews, and he walked them through their scriptural history from Egypt to King David ~ and then he pivoted to the fact that their Messiah had come and that He was descended from David. Then he drives home the details of Jesus’ arrest, crucifixion, burial and resurrection. And he connected it all to God’s scriptural promises to their ancestors; and he made it crystal clear that Jesus did for them what the Law of Moses couldn’t.

In Acts 17, Paul was preaching to Gentiles in Greece. But his approach here was WAY different than his approach to Jews in Antioch. He compliments them regarding their interest in the gods (the place was full of idols). He didn’t fire a scripture verse at em’ about “graven images.” His mission was to “win” some and “save” some. So he chose not to quote scripture at all. But he referenced a God that they missed. Then he referenced Jesus without mentioning His name, and told them what this man came to do, and proved it by being raised from the dead.

Paul, like Peter, knew when it was appropriate to leverage scripture and when it was appropriate to leverage something else. His approach to Gentiles in Athens clearly differed from his approach to Jews in Antioch ~ but the core of his messages was the same: that God has done something great in the world to benefit all of humanity, and He’s authenticated and punctuated this great thing by raising someone from the dead…!

The traditional approach to preaching that most of us grew up with is perfectly designed for a culture that doesn’t even exist anymore. But 1st century Christian leaders have modeled a way to move forward, to “win” em’ and “save” em’, “by all possible means”, “… for the sake of the Gospel.” Why shouldn’t the body of believers nowadays…which is hemorrhaging members, and not even attracting new members…follow their lead…?

Page 45 of 81 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.