Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
An older, gloss, S&B Klassic 6x42. Solid scope with good (great for their time) glass and good hunting reticles.

I'm not an aesthetically motivated gun user. I did wavier from my usual stainless/coated/synthetic focus on one this year. I recently put the previously mentioned scope on a wood/blued Mauser that I'll try to hunt on a bluebird day this season. Zero at 200 and go put it to use.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
3.3x10 gloss Leupold

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have my share of SS, miracle-fiber stocks, and knobby optics with lights inside too, but there’s room for a few oldies too. It is as they say, all fun and games, not war, nor a competition, and certainly not life-or-death.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
2.5-10 Nightforce.

If I am going to have just one, might as well do it right.

I could probably slum a 3-10 SHV as well. (grin)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be happy with a 6x Luepold if you can find one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might just be me but I've never understood folks handicapping themselves going the period-correct route unless the combo is destined for a museum. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Mounts are a standard redfield one piece base and Leupold gloss rings and gloss 3-9 The wood has a very satin look to it the scope just seems to over power the rifle Will see if I can post some pics this weekend

I see, too glossy. Weaver K4 then.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't think I have ever accessorized a rifle with asthetics as the goal.

Don't style my hair or get manicures either.

LOL

That's because scopes are for looking through first then looking at. Gotta understand that then you can understand what others don't. Just stating the facts..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you want to stick to a variable scope, I would go with the Bausch&Lomb 2.5x8 power. The adjustments for windage and elevation are in the bases. The optics are great and the scope is tough as nails.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
was just trying to get close to period correct and still have some decent glass fixed 4x or fixed 6x may be the way i go appreciate the comments and suggestions variables aren't out of the question will try to get some pics pics posted this weekend ive got alot of other modern bolt guns with more modern scopes, i dont really have anything period correct or close to that era other than one redfield lo profile but will do some more looking and thinking lol

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Pre 64 model 70 featherweight 30-06 made in 1955 best I can tell I have an older varixii 3-9 gloss Leupy on it now Just not happy with the overall look If it were yours what scope would you want to put on it Looking for a balance in age and optic quality Probably fair weather only hunting rifle Definitely do not need any thing above 9x

My first .. only? .. '06 was a pre 64 model 70 though not a featherweight. It had a full sized 4x, 1" tube, 40 mm objective. I think it had a picture of a bear on it, maybe? Anyway, for a classic rifle like that I'd probably try a Weaver classic 4x. If you could find an old redfield widefield 3-9X in good shape that might be an appropriate match as well.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Gloss Leupold VX III 3-9x40 looks right on mine. Not a featherweight, but 30Gov't06 close enough.

Last edited by centershot; 10/07/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Gloss Leupold VX III 3-9x40 looks right on mine. Not a featherweight, but 30Gov't06 close enough.
I think you added one to many I’s or not enough x’s 3.5-10 or vari x II 3x9
Lol nice bull and rifle

Last edited by 338reddog; 10/07/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a gloss Varix II on my 725. Looks similar to a model 70 featherweight. I think it looks nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Pre 64 300 H&H AI that has had a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 3-9 on it that is somewhat period correct. The scope was on the rifle when I got it and serves the purpose quite well. Excellent glass even compared to today's scopes, but the view is slightly dark compared to the new coated lenses. IMO it looks great on the rifle even though it is a gloss scope and has always dialed perfectly since I've owned it- probably at least 25 years...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot

Congratulations on that beautiful elk centershot! Gotta love the .30-06 hey? have a Bausch and Lombe Rainguard 4200 Elite on mine. Magical combination!

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Might just be me but I've never understood folks handicapping themselves going the period-correct route unless the combo is destined for a museum. whistle

Just looking here it’s obvious it’s not just you. Not everyone is all about scraping out the last bit of advantage from their equipment or taking advantage of every old and new trick to put game in the bag. Even where legal, many don’t use bait, cell cameras, blinds or treestands, scopes, CF rifles, etc etc, preferring more of a challenge. Honestly, these older scopes are not much of a handicap under most conditions, if at all, and even if they are, that’s okay too.

For my part, I’ve never understood why shooters insist on rifles, scopes, and ballistics capable of taking game at ranges far beyond the opportunities they get, and maybe their proven skillset, plus a whole slew of other stuff they do to gain an edge they’ll never need in the field. All comes back to fun and games I guess.

Part of my fun comes from nice old rifles that often display quality of materials and manufacturing, sometimes workmanship that no longer exists in commercial products, and those pair well with quality optics from the past as long as they can direct the bullet to where we want it. We are after all trying to shoot stuff, not take its picture.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by SKane

Just looking here it’s obvious it’s not just you. Not everyone is all about scraping out the last bit of advantage from their equipment or taking advantage of every old and new trick to put game in the bag. Even where legal, many don’t use bait, cell cameras, blinds or treestands, scopes, CF rifles, etc etc, preferring more of a challenge. Honestly, these older scopes are not much of a handicap under most conditions, if at all, and even if they are, that’s okay too.

For my part, I’ve never understood why shooters insist on rifles, scopes, and ballistics capable of taking game at ranges far beyond the opportunities they get, and maybe their proven skillset, plus a whole slew of other stuff they do to gain an edge they’ll never need in the field. All comes back to fun and games I guess.

Part of my fun comes from nice old rifles that often display quality of materials and manufacturing, sometimes workmanship that no longer exists in commercial products, and those pair well with quality optics from the past as long as they can direct the bullet to where we want it. We are after all trying to shoot stuff, not take its picture.

Great post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't think I have ever accessorized a rifle with asthetics as the goal.

Don't style my hair or get manicures either.

LOL

That's because scopes are for looking through first then looking at. Gotta understand that then you can understand what others don't. Just stating the facts..mb

That was about 80% tongue in cheek smartass for a laugh.
A bit serious.

IDGAF how others set up their gun.
If it makes some sense.
Hopefully, it scratches their ïtch. That's what's important.

Bought a 300mag for Elk trips, one of the first stainless/synthetic Remingtons.
Time and money being tight,
it got a gloss blue 3.5x10 Leupold and rings that I stole from a 22-250,
and matte blue bases that were available off the shelf.

30 years later...

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’d put a 3-12x50 S&B on it. $1250 from EuroOptic right now.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,094
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.