Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've owned a 7x57 Classic 700 since they were introduced. I pulled that rifle out of the safe and pulled the loads off the shelf:

7 x57, Remington 700 Classic, 120 grain Sierra, WLR, 48 grains IMR4320 - I think I loaded these for coyotes???
7 x57, Remington 700 Classic, 175 grain Cast w/GC, WLR, 25 grains H4895 - I cast these bullets
7 x57, Remington 700 Classic, 139 Hornady Interlock, WLR, 50.9 grains, IMR4350 -

I loaded these a long time ago and alas have lost any documentation on these loads. I used the 139 grain interlocks on pronghorn, and they worked very well. The only note I have is "Accurate" on the side of the box with the 139 grain load.

According to the manuals the 139 grain load may be a grain over(???), but the primers were rounded and I had not written a notation such as "warm" or "hot". I believe I'll take these out to the range and document. I will load some Big Game powder, WW cases, 9 1/2 primers and 140 grain partitions, before I go to the range.

If those partitions shoot well, I suspect that that may likely be the "best" load for the 7x57. But there's no hair on those 139 grain Interlocks for deer. They may work well on elk or moose, IDK. But I'd prefer partitions for bigger animals.
50.9 grs IMR4350 is about a grain over in what manuals? Thanks.
Older Hornady guides list 53.0 gr IMR4350 as a max load with 139 gr bullets. Used this load for years in my old Ruger tang safety 7x57.

Then the lawyers came along and revised the numbers.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Has anyone used 120 TTSX bullets on whitetail? I see that in Gack III, John got very good accuracy with 46 grains of Varget and at almost 3,000 fps.

I just picked up a couple boxes of 120 TTSX's and am considering them for whitetail this fall.

Have used the 120 TSX with 48gr CFE223 in a 7mm-08 Model 7 Stainless 20” barrel. Shot a 150ish lb buck and a yearling, not fawn, doe. Buck was well less than 100 yds. Broke both shoulders, wrecked top of the heart, exited. Lept and died. Made sure to stay out of shoulder meat on the doe at no more than 50 yds and she ran maybe 50 or 60 more. No drama on either. Did no serious accuracy tests just sighted about an inch high at 100 and hunted.

Last edited by shootem; 08/29/22.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And all of the contributors collectively indicate that it is very difficult to find a load that is not perfect.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I gave JB's load of 46 grains of Varget using 120 TTSX's in my push feed M70 7x57 that I got from bigwhoop several years ago and it shot the TTSX's well under MOA.

Just for schitts and giggles I tried the same load using 120 grain BT's with the same results as the TTSX's. The only difference between the two load in my rifle is the TTSX's shoot 1/2" higher than the BT's.

All shots were fired using a 1.5-5 Leupold with heavy duplex at 5X!!

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I settled on 45.1 grains of H4350 with a 160 Partition Gold. It shoots the 154 interlock with the same charge just as well. Well within 1 moa.

This is in an old hollow bolt M77.

Last edited by Futura; 09/11/22.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Old thread.

I love to read BobinNH posts. Really miss him.

Df

I do also

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by shootem
Has anyone used 120 TTSX bullets on whitetail? I see that in Gack III, John got very good accuracy with 46 grains of Varget and at almost 3,000 fps.

I just picked up a couple boxes of 120 TTSX's and am considering them for whitetail this fall.

Have used the 120 TSX with 48gr CFE223 in a 7mm-08 Model 7 Stainless 20” barrel. Shot a 150ish lb buck and a yearling, not fawn, doe. Buck was well less than 100 yds. Broke both shoulders, wrecked top of the heart, exited. Lept and died. Made sure to stay out of shoulder meat on the doe at no more than 50 yds and she ran maybe 50 or 60 more. No drama on either. Did no serious accuracy tests just sighted about an inch high at 100 and hunted.

I use them for 7mm-08’s, work very well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if ya got one that doesn't shoot much of anything real well, there is only ONE perfect load for a 7 x 57...
Like a Ruger 77 for instance.

40 grains of 3031.. pick any bullet weight you want from 120 to 175 grainers...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
145 LRX at about 2850-2900 fps. Takes care of anything.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
M
Hey my first post! a reply to a thread that was started almost 14 years ago!

I have to say I am thrilled to have found this forum and this thread, among others with info about the 7x57. Not a lot of current info on this cartridge, so I am grateful to find a place where there is still some discussion.

I am a believer in the 7mm Mauser, it really is just about the perfect cartridge IMO. I have an Arisaka Type 38 that was sporterized with a 22" Douglas barrel by my uncle who built it as a high school project with the help of a family friend who did some gunsmithing, and gave it to my father as a present. I don't actually take possession until Dad is gone, but being the oldest son, and the one who has always had an interest in that rifle, it's been willed to me.

I just started metallic handloading during the most recent ammo shortage, and am just now, researching loading for the 7x57. That's how I found this place.

I hope this thread continues, the new bullets and powders have made the 7mm Mauser a really effective cartridge that has great potential if handloaders continue to share information like we have here.

Anybody having success with the 162 ELD-X? I think if we could get that bullet to 2,800 safely, it would be pretty close to the "perfect 7x57 load".

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Moejoe

I have to say I am thrilled to have found this forum and this thread, among others with info about the 7x57. Not a lot of current info on this cartridge, so I am grateful to find a place where there is still some discussion.

I am a believer in the 7mm Mauser, it really is just about the perfect cartridge IMO. I have an Arisaka Type 38 that was sporterized with a 22" Douglas barrel by my uncle who built it as a high school project with the help of a family friend who did some gunsmithing, and gave it to my father as a present. I don't actually take possession until Dad is gone, but being the oldest son, and the one who has always had an interest in that rifle, it's been willed to me.

I just started metallic handloading during the most recent ammo shortage, and am just now, researching loading for the 7x57. That's how I found this place.

I hope this thread continues, the new bullets and powders have made the 7mm Mauser a really effective cartridge that has great potential if handloaders continue to share information like we have here.

Anybody having success with the 162 ELD-X? I think if we could get that bullet to 2,800 safely, it would be pretty close to the "perfect 7x57 load".

You can get a 162 ELDM to 2800 from a 7-08 wit 6.5 Staball. First hand experience jus a couple of hours ago.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
M
6.5 Staball just happens to be one of the powders I purchased just for the 7 x 57, along with RL19 and RL22.

I think the Mauser should be able to run with the 08.

What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I think the Mauser should be able to run with the 08."

I've been using 7-08 data for my three 7x57s for some time now. If you're using a modern actioned rifle, it's no problem. Just start low and work up. I run the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2800 FPS with good accuracy. (Under 1") I have had it up to 2880 FPS but bolt lift was starting to show signs if being sticky. FWIW, it was 105 degrees in the shade. Powder was RL17, WLR primer and Winchester brass. Rifles used were a Winchester M70 FWT, Ruger #1 and a custom Mauser that turns out to have problems. Seems like the commercial FN action I used which was originally chambered to the .270 Win. took some way too heavy reloads from the guy I bought it from. I'm looking for a replacement receiver, preferably another FN so I can finish load work ups with that rifle. Problem was in the rifle before I used it for the custom job. The load was planned for an elk hunt.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Go to Ballisticstudies.com and click on the Knowlagebase, Scroll to the 7x57 info... In a nutshell, Try the 162 ELD-M with H4350, Don't push it faster than 2700 fps (or it may over expand) with 2600 probably being ideal... There's your "perfect load" according to Nathan Foster... Same goes for the 7-08...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Seems like the commercial FN action I used which was originally chambered to the .270 Win. took some way too heavy reloads from the guy I bought it from. PJ

So the problem was finally diagnosed. Lug set-back?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RevMike
Seems like the commercial FN action I used which was originally chambered to the .270 Win. took some way too heavy reloads from the guy I bought it from. PJ

That's what I looks like. The sad part is I remember that rifle doing just that with factory .270 ammo. Then I just stuck the rifle way back in the safe and forgot about it until I had the custom made. Guess I'll just have to scavenge a receiver off on of my good FN rifles.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
M
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Go to Ballisticstudies.com and click on the Knowlagebase, Scroll to the 7x57 info... In a nutshell, Try the 162 ELD-M with H4350, Don't push it faster than 2700 fps (or it may over expand) with 2600 probably being ideal... There's your "perfect load" according to Nathan Foster... Same goes for the 7-08...

Thank you for that info. I think that writeup was done prior to the Hornady ELD bullets being widely available.

I would only be interested in the ELD-X myself, the BC between it and the ELD-M are close enough (.630 G1 vs. .670 G1) that even punching paper I would stay with the ELD-X. I have not tried it yet, but reports of over/under expansion are definitely not the norm - especially at 7mm Mauser velocities.

Last edited by Moejoe; 10/10/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Thank you for that info. I think that writeup was done prior to the Hornady ELD bullets being widely available.

I would only be interested in the ELD-X myself, the BC between it and the ELD-M are close enough (.630 G1 vs. .670 G1) that even punching paper I would stay with the ELD-X. I have not tried it yet, but reports of over/under expansion are definitely not the norm - especially at 7mm Mauser velocities.
Nathan's testing was done with the 162 gr A-Max which is exactly the same bullet as the 162 gr ELD-M save for a higher melting point plastic tip on the ELD... Nathan also tested the ELD-X when it was introduced, He had nothing good to say about them... However another bullet he and his cronies have been using with great success more recently is the Sierra 160 gr TMK... Like the 162 ELD-M at moderate 7x57 or 7-08 muzzle velocities it penetrates a couple of inches before violently expanding and causing devastating internal wounding and often dead right there results (Nathans words not mine)... I trust his input, However i have not hunted with either bullet... I have load tested the ELD-M and found good accuracy @2600 fps MV and better accuracy @2700... I'L go with the slower load to be certain that bullet doesn't over expand (blow up) at close range...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike

That's what I looks like. The sad part is I remember that rifle doing just that with factory .270 ammo. Then I just stuck the rifle way back in the safe and forgot about it until I had the custom made. Guess I'll just have to scavenge a receiver off on of my good FN rifles.
PJ

You might want to contact Tom Jackson (posts under dpcd here and on the Accurate Reloading site). I sent him an Argentine that I was sure had lug set-back. He took the barrel off, examined the action, and decided it was something else. Whatever he did I no longer have issues with sticking bolts (I believe it was a headspace issue). In any event, if you like the action it might be worth having him take a look before shelling out for a new one.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
M
Nathan's testing was done with the 162 gr A-Max which is exactly the same bullet as the 162 gr ELD-M save for a higher melting point plastic tip on the ELD... Nathan also tested the ELD-X when it was introduced, He had nothing good to say about them... However another bullet he and his cronies have been using with great success more recently is the Sierra 160 gr TMK... Like the 162 ELD-M at moderate 7x57 or 7-08 muzzle velocities it penetrates a couple of inches before violently expanding and causing devastating internal wounding and often dead right there results (Nathans words not mine)... I trust his input, However i have not hunted with either bullet... I have load tested the ELD-M and found good accuracy @2600 fps MV and better accuracy @2700... I'L go with the slower load to be certain that bullet doesn't over expand (blow up) at close range...

The ELD X is what I was inquiring about, it's designed as a hunting bullet, not a match bullet. It is an entirely different bullet from the ELD M, and has a good reputation for accuracy and expansion (1600 fps to 3000 fps). They are also priced less than many other premium hunting bullets. 2800 fps MV from a 7x57 should not be a problem for most modern rifles, or in an Arisaka.

Last edited by Moejoe; 10/11/22.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.