Originally Posted by Moejoe
Hey my first post! a reply to a thread that was started almost 14 years ago!

I have to say I am thrilled to have found this forum and this thread, among others with info about the 7x57. Not a lot of current info on this cartridge, so I am grateful to find a place where there is still some discussion.

I am a believer in the 7mm Mauser, it really is just about the perfect cartridge IMO. I have an Arisaka Type 38 that was sporterized with a 22" Douglas barrel by my uncle who built it as a high school project with the help of a family friend who did some gunsmithing, and gave it to my father as a present. I don't actually take possession until Dad is gone, but being the oldest son, and the one who has always had an interest in that rifle, it's been willed to me.

I just started metallic handloading during the most recent ammo shortage, and am just now, researching loading for the 7x57. That's how I found this place.

I hope this thread continues, the new bullets and powders have made the 7mm Mauser a really effective cartridge that has great potential if handloaders continue to share information like we have here.

Anybody having success with the 162 ELD-X? I think if we could get that bullet to 2,800 safely, it would be pretty close to the "perfect 7x57 load".
Go to Ballisticstudies.com and click on the Knowlagebase, Scroll to the 7x57 info... In a nutshell, Try the 162 ELD-M with H4350, Don't push it faster than 2700 fps (or it may over expand) with 2600 probably being ideal... There's your "perfect load" according to Nathan Foster... Same goes for the 7-08...