Welcome Mr. Gresham.. Was just listening to you on the radio today at 1 PM Oregon Time.

As I posted on page 2 of this thread back in 2009...

40 grains of 3031, with any bullet weight from 130 to 175....MV is going to be in the 2650 to 2700 fps range..

Had a Ruger 77 Mk 2, that was averaging 5 inch groups or worse at 100 yds.. .I tried everything I could and it shot like crap.
Finally was getting ready to order a 6mm Rem barrel to replace it with...

Then in a Hornady reload manual saw a charge of 40 grains of 3031 with a 139 grain SP. I tried it and I got a half inch group. I couldn't believe that for a 5 shot group considering its past records...So I went home and loaded those 5 rounds again, and got the same 1/2 inch group... Tried it on the other Ruger 77 Mk2 in 7 x 57 I owned which was having the same issues... and got the same results with 3031 again.

After that I tried that load with other weight bullets up to 175 grain.. same results.. in both rifles.

Sold one of the Rugers to a campfire member looking for one.. and passed on the same info.
The diet of the one I kept, has pretty much been fed 40 grains of 3031, ever since.

I don't question it... why look a gift horse in the mouth??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez