Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How do you do, Hunting Optics readers? I come humbly seeking your collective wisdom for a new project.

I picked up a Howa barreled action from Brownell's in 6.5 PRC (24" sporter contour) that I'm dropping into one of the blemished carbon fiber stocks that Stocky's is selling. New territory for me all around—action, cartridge, stock.

In fact, this project is a deliberate attempt to explore new territory. I've been somewhat of a traditionalist, running traditional cartridges in traditionally American hunting-style rifles with lightweight 1" SFP scopes of modest magnification for the whole of my existence. Just like my dad did, and his dad before him, etc. Can't say I've been unhappy living this life, but I believe there's value in stepping outside of one's comfort range now and again, even if it ends in spectacular failure. I can always retreat back to safety; my 270 isn't going anywhere.

So here's what I'm thinking I want to do with the glass on this gun:

-higher power (top end of 15-20x or so)
-bigger tube (30 mm—a 34 mm tube and 56 mm objective looks g.d. ridiculous and I'm not going there)
-FFP (!)
-A reticle with useful stuff on it, preferably in milliradians because let's face it, base 10 makes sense
-exposed turrets, matching angular units of reticle
-possibly illuminated

In keeping with the purpose of this rifle (mostly hunting, mostly deer and antelope, mostly on the glorious unbroken prairies of the northern Great Plains), I would like to keep this scope under 2 lbs and it needs to have ergonomics appropriate to the task. My other sideboard—this being an experiment and all—is that I want to spend < $1000.

Scopes I've been ogling include:

Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 FFP - Mil-hash
Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50 FFP - Mil-hash
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 RD FFP - M-Rad 1 RD
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 RD FFP - M-Rad 1 RD
SWFA SS 3-15x42 - Mil Quad

What am I missing? Pros/cons? Anyone done any side-by-side comparisons of these? I looked through an Optika6 with the M-Rad 1 RD reticle today in my local Sportsman's Whorehouse and thought it looked alright, but peeping employees at 80 yards across the store is hardly a field test. Nobody local carries the S-TAC FFP scopes. Never seen a SWFA SS in the flesh.

I'm also considering going the Picatinny rail route (another first for me--told you I'm serious about leaving everything I know behind) for maximal adjustability with these goofy big scopes that have very little in the way of straight, unadorned tube. Need some advice there, too. I know I can easily drop $250 on a rail and rings, but are there some good quality options for, say, half that?

If you've read this far, thank you for that. And thanks in advance for any useful advice.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Japanese gun, get a Japanese scope. A good one.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I drive a Japanese truck, so there's some poetry in that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the Sightron S-Tac 3-16 FFP mil. I like it a lot overall but the turrets move way too easily. The zero stop takes care of the elevation turret but the windage is problematic.

Mike
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree.Japanese…

IC B2

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, yes, the symmetry appeals to the OCD in me, but is there any more…practical reason for this suggestion? Because actual Japanese-made Sightrons cost a lot more than the S-TACs, and seem more target shooting-oriented. S-TACs are Filipino if I’m not mistaken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add Trijicon and Tract to your list of possible suspects. Trijicon has detailed reticle diagrams under “Downloads” on the description pages for each model. Both are made in Japan by LOW IIRC. Tract comes with a zero stop in the box. Trijicons come with two lens covers and a lens pen.

Pay attention to the eye-relief numbers. Some scopes get very tight at high magnification. Tracts seem to have constant, or nearly so, ER.

Tract, SWFA, and Trijicon are available on Amazon, but you should check the main sites for sales, which don’t seem to show up on Bezos World.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for Trijicon. I now have two and I love those for the money.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 and generally like it, so I'm well aware of Trijicons. But the eye relief #s on their higher power scopes, as Pappy alluded to, give me pause. 3.1-3.8" seems to be the norm. That is getting tight, and more concerning (to me) is the 0.7" range between the bottom and top of the magnification range. Maybe this shouldn't be a deal-killer. They seem to have a lot going for them, otherwise.

I'll look into Tract. Thanks for the input, and keep it coming!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
a strong vote for TRACT

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As someone who does work with Meopta and has used almost everything they make in the field, I will suggest the Optika6 4.5-27x50 RD, Optika6 5-30x56 RD, and a scope that can be had for a discounted price right now, the ZD 6-24x56 RD. The ZD is the best bargain of the bunch right now and will give you the best glass and features for the shooting that you want to do. Best of luck making a decision, there are a lot of great choices. Adding the pic rail is also a great idea, it will definitely make mounting a scope easier and precisely where you need it.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 is a nice looking scope, with a nice looking reticle. But for $200 less, I'm gravitating toward the Optika6 because it doesn't seem like I'm giving up much.

I'm surprised nobody's chimed in on the SWFA SS 3-15x42.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only had (2) Optika6's and both were pieces of fhuqking schit. No tracking,repeats or zero retention. 'Course...I bought 'em with my own money. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

I've multiple SWFA 3-15's,in both SFP and FFP. Never had a mechanical bobble and they get fhuqking flogged on. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

On a Howie,I'd simply go Burris Extreme 2pc flipper bitches(410600's) and SWFA Low 30mm rings. Hint.

The Athlon BTR Gen2 2-12x FFP Mil/Mil Lit Bitches are killer,for killing. For Giggles,the 4-20x version of same,could be argued. Hint.

I muchly prefer the 2-12x. Locking turrets(windage and elevation),mechanical zero stop,great parallax control,35+ Mil's of erector and nice illumination,in a handy parcel. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Stick said.

I have the 3-15 SWFA and four 2-12 Athlons.

Both are rugged and good. The Athlon is more intuitive for hunting big game because of the illumination and dot.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 56mm tube is not ridiculous if you hunt in dark places. If you are in wide open and well lit country, most any scope will do.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
The 56mm tube is not ridiculous if you hunt in dark places. If you are in wide open and well lit country, most any scope will do.

I'm sure you're right, but I merely said they look ridiculous. I'm not budging on that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nor should you....

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tract
I have the meopta 5 3-15 on my dads 300 win mag

Last edited by Dre; 10/13/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Stick, do you recommend the 2-piece bases because of the ejection port clearance? I've never used a full rail, but I could see it getting in the way.

That Athlon BTR Gen2 does have some nice attributes. It's a shame they don't offer that AHMR2 Mil reticle in the 4-20x version—seems like the most functional hunting reticle they offer.

Does the SWFA 3-15x42 have locking turrets? I'm guessing that's a negative, or they'd advertise it.

Tough decision... Thanks again for all the input.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Out of the choices listed i would suggest the SWFA SS. The Sightron MOA reticles are thin for much more than punching paper. You would be better off getting a SIII on sale at Cameraland or getting a STAC in duplex.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.