-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never ate a bowl of grits until I went on active duty in 1977. Since then I've eat a few bowls of them.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bowl full of grits, pour in about a cup of pancake syrup. Then add butter.

Then maybe, just maybe they will taste ok

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t like grits or cream of wheat.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Garlic & cheese with Boudin, or with over easy eggs, & when really strutin, both.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Rocky got it right—Grits are a potatoe substitute—Yankees think it’s like Cream Of Wheat breakfast cereal and try to ruin them with maple syrup

We make our own maple syrup.

It don't go in grits any more than ketchup goes on lobster. Dang.............. eek

(Snowed in Nipigon yet this fall ??)

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. I like grits. Grew up in North Carolina and was not a fan as a kid. Didn't like tomatoes either. Love 'em both now.
Rex

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We mixed them with green chiles out in NM. Boil the grits, add salt and butter, beat an egg and throw it in and then mix with grated cheddar and green chiles. About as a good of a breakfast food as you can get, especially as a side with fried eggs and bacon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't read through the thread - anyone brave enough to admit that they don't?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Sugar and milk on grits- - - -ya gotta be a damyankee to do that!

The "don't put sugar on grits" thing is an old wives tale that won't die. I notice most guys who claim you're not supposed to do that are yankees, they probably read somewhere that southerners don't do that and took it as gospel. I'm from Mississippi so I certainly don't qualify as a yankee and for breakfast I'll put sugar and butter on my grits, I got that from my mother who was born in Mississippi on a cotton farm in the depression so she certainly wasn't a yankee either. I'll admit I've never put milk on them, but I'm open to try it once. Shrimp and grits is a Carolina thing that you didn't see in MS when I was a kid, it's migrated here now and it's pretty danged good. The coonasses got hold of it and Cajuned it up a bit which made it even better. I can't see putting sugar on that. Every woman in my family put a little sugar in their cornbread also, so that wives tale is BS too.

Sugar, syrup, molasses, honey, etc. Southerners like sweet stuff and our diabetes rates show it. My grandmother's tea was almost like syrup after she finished adding the sugar. Notice I said tea, not sweet tea. There was no such thing as unsweetened tea when I was a kid, nobody would drink it that way. Now of course with all the health concerns every restaurant will have sweet and unsweet tea, but when I was a kid it came sweet and if it wasn't sweet enough you poured even more sugar in it.

Eat your grits how you want to, if that's with sugar then that's OK.

BTW if any of you are ever in the area north of Meridian MS area Sciples Water Mill is where you should stop to get your grits. It's been in operation since 1790, they only grind corn on Saturdays but they have a honor box 24/7 with bags of grits and corn meal where you take what you want and leave the money. They encourage people to self tour the mill and if one of the family members happens to be there he'll likely show you around. Weidmann's restaurant in Meridian is the oldest restaurant in the state and they get their grits from Sciples.

https://sciples-water-mill.business.site/

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mississippi/step-back-in-time-with-visit-to-229-year-old-mill-ms/

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Haven't read through the thread - anyone brave enough to admit that they don't?

have some good friends that came from Florida...he is a really good cook always talking about grits...cooked some up... one bite was enough to let me know I will never eat that shhhitt again.

unless I was starving.....bob

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you think Shrimp & Grits is good....try Shrimp and Fried Grits Cake with a spicy cream sauce! Had that at the seafood place "Harry's" in Gainesville with my pal Mannlicher.....good stuff!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes as well as grits yellower and hairier cousin from the continent, polenta.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Sugar and milk on grits- - - -ya gotta be a damyankee to do that!

The "don't put sugar on grits" thing is an old wives tale that won't die. I notice most guys who claim you're not supposed to do that are yankees, they probably read somewhere that southerners don't do that and took it as gospel. I'm from Mississippi so I certainly don't qualify as a yankee and for breakfast I'll put sugar and butter on my grits, I got that from my mother who was born in Mississippi on a cotton farm in the depression so she certainly wasn't a yankee either. I'll admit I've never put milk on them, but I'm open to try it once. Shrimp and grits is a Carolina thing that you didn't see in MS when I was a kid, it's migrated here now and it's pretty danged good. The coonasses got hold of it and Cajuned it up a bit which made it even better. I can't see putting sugar on that. Every woman in my family put a little sugar in their cornbread also, so that wives tale is BS too.

Sugar, syrup, molasses, honey, etc. Southerners like sweet stuff and our diabetes rates show it. My grandmother's tea was almost like syrup after she finished adding the sugar. Notice I said tea, not sweet tea. There was no such thing as unsweetened tea when I was a kid, nobody would drink it that way. Now of course with all the health concerns every restaurant will have sweet and unsweet tea, but when I was a kid it came sweet and if it wasn't sweet enough you poured even more sugar in it.

Eat your grits how you want to, if that's with sugar then that's OK.

BTW if any of you are ever in the area north of Meridian MS area Sciples Water Mill is where you should stop to get your grits. It's been in operation since 1790, they only grind corn on Saturdays but they have a honor box 24/7 with bags of grits and corn meal where you take what you want and leave the money. They encourage people to self tour the mill and if one of the family members happens to be there he'll likely show you around. Weidmann's restaurant in Meridian is the oldest restaurant in the state and they get their grits from Sciples.

https://sciples-water-mill.business.site/

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mississippi/step-back-in-time-with-visit-to-229-year-old-mill-ms/

This is a great post. I’ve never understood the mystique of grits and largely think it’s due to people from the north wanting to think they’re cool for eating them and southerners for not calling it what it is. Hot fugking cereal.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by frogman43
If you think Shrimp & Grits is good....try Shrimp and Fried Grits Cake with a spicy cream sauce! Had that at the seafood place "Harry's" in Gainesville with my pal Mannlicher.....good stuff!

What did he complain about?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gonna make some this morning.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like them about anyway you fix grits, but on top of my list is shrimp and grits

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I grew up in Atlanta, but my mother was a Chicago Yankee. Believe me, mom never cooked grits and she thought they were bizarre.
Of course I often ate grits at school and elsewhere. I like them, especially shrimp grits with salt and lots of butter.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had grits for breakfast for many years. Rather than butter, I add coarse ground black pepper, cheese (I prefer jack or extra sharp cheddar but any cheese is fine), Tabasco, and cover with diced green chiles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Grits should be firm, NOT stiff, lumpy or soupy, AND salted appropriately during cooking....

Plate, add butter, then 3 basted-medium eggs laid on top.......... sided with (four footed) bacon or sausage and toast......... NEVER with anything that started life as Turkey.

Cheese, Shrimp and other such additions are blasphemy....

IMHO

Last edited by Muffin; 10/14/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never thought I liked them until I tried the Shrimp & Grits at Poogan's Porch in Charleston this year. Man, that was good! Finding the ingredients where I live is the problem now.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.