Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"The 7mm-08 is almost exactly the same and weighs nothing."

Maybe so but the 7x57 has history and panache.
PJ

Well, maybe, if that spins yer prop; you can add nostalgia too.

But why waste a long action on a round as short as the 7x57 that does nothing better than a 7-08. Nothing.

And there is a fair amount of decent factory ammo for the 7-08 if'n yer not a dyed-i-the-wool handloader.

Not so for the 7x57 as that's pretty much a handloading proposition especially given the variety of throats.

MM

Exactly!
Well, maybe, But doesn't that wasted long action and long action magazine let you seat longer bullets shallower for a little more powder capacity and give more seating depth options for accuracy? (properly throated for said bullets of coarse) ... Regardless of that, I must have arms like "Clyde" because a lot of the short action rifles are too short for me (LOP)... Oh, By the way, There is one thing it does better for sure ... The 7 Mouser scares the Schit out of Elephants... You cant say that about the 7-08... grin

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 10/10/22.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by roundoak

PJ

But why waste a long action on a round as short as the 7x57 that does nothing better than a 7-08. Nothing.

And there is a fair amount of decent factory ammo for the 7-08 if'n yer not a dyed-i-the-wool handloader.

Not so for the 7x57 as that's pretty much a handloading proposition especially given the variety of throats.

MM
How many 7x57's have you owned that had a "variety of throats"?

Well, my three 7x57s all seem to have the same length throats. No problem with accuracy and yes, I'm a hand loader. Been one since 1954. I have absolutely no use for the 7-08. A long action mean I have room to seat bullets where they should be. Also, If the 7x57 had been loaded to its proper potential in the first place, then never would have been a need do the 7-08.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
The 7 Mouser scares the Schit out of Elephants... You cant say that about the 7-08... grin

Well, no matter what you like, that right there is damn funny. smile

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

PJ

MM

Well, my three 7x57s all seem to have the same length throats. No problem with accuracy and yes, I'm a hand loader. Been one since 1954. I have absolutely no use for the 7-08. A long action mean I have room to seat bullets where they should be. Also, If the 7x57 had been loaded to its proper potential in the first place, then never would have been a need do the 7-08.
PJ

Fightin’ words!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

PJ

MM

PJ

Fightin’ words!

Maybe so. But the truth nevertheless.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have 7x57, 280AI, 7mmRM, and 7mmSTW.

They all work with my handloads.

I’m with Clark! Don’t need no head to head battles in these calibers…just own multiples and enjoy them all. I have two 7 x 57’s, two .280’s, a 7 Mag and a 7 STW. What makes me grab one before the other? My mood, and the terrain and distances of hunting areas and possible shots. Mag and STW for longer possible shots, other 2 calibers for closer pokes. Nothing more, nothing less. If you can’t own multiples in 7mm, pick the one you like best and you’ll have no issues rocking some critters to sleep with it.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Mag and STW for longer possible shots,

How long are those shots?

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
This thread will be 16 y/o in December.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Happy Birthday.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
16 candles--and far more guessing per candle!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MontanaMan,

Shot my biggest bull at 426 yards, and two biggest mulie bucks at 375 and 376. Maybe not the longest shots for some, but definitely loooong for an old hillbilly redneck from the sticks of PA. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
MontanaMan,

Shot my biggest bull at 426 yards, and two biggest mulie bucks at 375 and 376. Maybe not the longest shots for some, but definitely loooong for an old hillbilly redneck from the sticks of PA. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Well, regardless of what some may think, those are not exactly chip shot gimmes, but the standard calibers will work just fine at those ranges...............nothing wrong with the magnums for sure but not really needed either.

JMHO

MM

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been following this out of curiosity, I looked in an old Sierra Manual, using SAAMI pressure max's, real world barrel lengths, a 160 spitzer boat tail, in point blank range, the 7x57 pbr is 270 yards. The mighty .280 crushes the Mauser with a pbr of 280 yards. Wow...that's a serious step up in horse power. 10 yards. Who knew?
Montana Man...since we are splitting hairs, let's be more precise. The 7x57 as invented, designed and built by Mauser was NOT a long action. Paul's engineers designed and built the action for the cartridge ('93's, 95's and 98's)...it could be called a medium action I suppose. Every wannabe copycat that built 7x57's later used whatever action was available that would work, it just happened that the most numerous and cheapest actions were the long 8x57 and most of the tooling in the world was built to produce the longer action. I think even a few of the great British gunmakers went with the cheaper and plentiful so called long action, ditching the purpose designed medium action for economy.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The 7x57 as invented, designed and built by Mauser was NOT a long action. Paul's engineers designed and built the action for the cartridge ('93's, 95's and 98's)...it could be called a medium action I suppose. Every wannabe copycat that built 7x57's later used whatever action was available that would work, it just happened that the most numerous and cheapest actions were the long 8x57 and most of the tooling in the world was built to produce the longer action. I think even a few of the great British gunmakers went with the cheaper and plentiful so called long action, ditching the purpose designed medium action for economy.

Yes, you are right, but obviously, modern bulk manufacturers are not going to build an action for a specific cartridge w/o enough demand to justify the cost even though it might be beneficial for more than just the one round.

MM

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The very first 7x57 I ever tried was back in early 90's. I just could not get that Mod 70 Fwt to shoot under 2", with bullets from 130 to 175! After pulling my hair real hard, I made the decision to have it rebarreled. I called/discussed with the now deceased Gary Stiles. I "thought" the mod 70s action was a "medium" length, but when I measured the magazine, it would take a 30-06. So I had him put a 23" Douglas in 30-06 on it.

Years and 4 more 7x57s that would not shoot "for me", I am having another Mod 70 Fwt rebarreled to 7x57. By golly, I will find something to shoot in it! ha I have used/enjoyed the 7-30 Waters, 280, 280 AI, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM. Life is short, and being somewhat nostalgic, I "still" want an accurate, slim/trim hunting rifle in 7x57! ha I did get the twist sorted out ( I ordered a 9", they sent an 8", so reordered) I'm on my way. BTW I just got some Hornady 150 ELDx and these babies look like rockets! smile

PS Over the years, I have spoken with many older guys who have used the 7mm Mauser on deer and elk regularly at 400+ yards. That surprised me, really. I myself do not like to shoot over about 250, though I have shot out to 370-380 on several occasions. 75yds is my "favorite" Kill Zone, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/15/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
The very first 7x57 I ever tried was back in early 90's. I just could not get that Mod 70 Fwt to shoot under 2", with bullets from 130 to 175! After pulling my hair real hard, I made the decision to have it rebarreled. I called/discussed with the now deceased Gary Stiles. I "thought" the mod 70s action was a "medium" length, but when I measured the magazine, it would take a 30-06. So I had him put a 23" Douglas in 30-06 on it.

Years and 4 more 7x57s that would not shoot "for me", I am having another Mod 70 Fwt rebarreled to 7x57. By golly, I will find something to shoot in it! ha I have used/enjoyed the 7-30 Waters, 280, 280 AI, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 7mm RUM. Life is short, and being somewhat nostalgic, I "still" want an accurate, slim/trim hunting rifle in 7x57! ha I did get the twist sorted out ( I ordered a 9", they sent an 8", so reordered) I'm on my way. BTW I just got some Hornady 150 ELDx and these babies look like rockets! smile

PS Over the years, I have spoken with many older guys who have used the 7mm Mauser on deer and elk regularly at 400+ yards. That surprised me, really. I myself do not like to shoot over about 250, though I have shot out to 370-380 on several occasions. 75yds is my "favorite" Kill Zone, ha.

i'm quite surprised that you've had such bad luck with the 7x57. Every one of mine, I have three BTW, have been one inch or better shooters from the get go. Rifles in question are a Winchester M70 Featherweight, Ruger #1 and a custom Mauser that I have to do some work in regarding a new receiver. Still shoots tight groups though. The powder I have had the best results with is Rl17. I have worked up to 48.5 gr. of Rl17, 150 gr. Nosler Partition, Winchester brass and WLR primer. The last group I shot with that load did .50" for three shots. Velocity 2847 FPS. Bolt lift in the M70 was starting to feel a bit sticky which didn't surprise me. It was about 105 in the shade at the time I shot that group. I dropped back to an ever 2800 FPS and called it good.

Another load the proved quite accurate in the M70 was 47.0 gr. W760 and the 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. Brass was Remington (R/P) brass and WLR primer. Velocity right at 2800 on the nose. Average groups ran .75".

I ran a couple of groups with the long discontinued Sierra 170 gr. round nose loaded to duplicate the average velocity of the original 1893 load. Three three shot groups averaged slightly under a half inch. I do regret not writing that load down. I wish Sierra would bring that bullet back as it's been gone for well over 30+ years. However, when I asked if they would ever consider running a few for those of us that want it, their answer was a polite FU!

All I can add is the loads I mentioned were all accurate in my rifles. All loads are in my estimation the absolute maximum for my rifles and should be approached with caution. I accept no responsibility should you use them.
PJ

MOLON LABE
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My experiences have more or less mirrored Jim Knight's. Out of 3 rifles, a Ruger 77 (possibly one of the most inaccurate rifles I'd ever owned), a '95 sporter, and a BRNO 21H...I just gave up on the first 2 and eventually accepted the BRNO for what it was, a good hunting rifle, but never getting much better than 1.4 moa 5 shot grps. I just ran out of patience with the old 7, endless experiments in bedding, loading, scope swapping, case prep, recut crowns yadda yadda. Eventually, the BRNO used 46gr of 760 and any 160 gr cup and core. Then, the great copper bullet edict came down from the Gods ruling the land of fruits and nuts...and it was back to square one...where it remains, doomed to mediocrity. In these times of component drought, my battery of bubba beaters and pawnshop rejects in 6.5 Swede to 8x57 that were so much easier to tune and feed with easy peasy 1 moa occupy my front row in the safe. I wonder if Bell used the old 7 on elephant because it was too inaccurate for dik-dik.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been killing deer since 1963 and elk since 1967. I have used a LOT of different calibers and rifles and in the past I among them have owned a 7X57, a 280 Remington a 7MM Rem Mag and a 7MM Weatherby mag. I have killed elk with all 4 of them.
None had any more dramatic effect or was appreciably faster in dropping elk or deer then any other.

So my best advice is 'Get the one you like the most"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

This is pretty much my experience as well, having used all four cartridges--along with the .280 Ackley Improved--on wide variety of big game, along with being alongside other hunters who use 'em. Oh, and also have some experience with the 7mm STW.

Mentioned this in another post on this thread in late September: "Have hunted a LOT with both the 7x57 and .280. In the 7x57 I mostly (but not always) have used bullets in the 160-grain range at around 2700 fps, from various 21-22" barrels. In the .280 I've also used 160s a lot, at 2900+ fps. Just looked at my hunting notes, and the longest kills with both cartridges were 350-400 yards with 160-grain bullets. Both worked fine, because they put a hole all the way through the vitals."

This is also what a LOT of experienced hunters have noted with a wider range of cartridges: As long as the bullet penetrates and expands sufficiently, there's relatively little difference on how the bullet (not the cartridge) kills big game.

But many hunters still make a big deal about minor differences muzzle velocity (even 50 fps), bullet weight and diameter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Been following this out of curiosity, I looked in an old Sierra Manual, using SAAMI pressure max's, real world barrel lengths, a 160 spitzer boat tail, in point blank range, the 7x57 pbr is 270 yards. The mighty .280 crushes the Mauser with a pbr of 280 yards. Wow...that's a serious step up in horse power. 10 yards. Who knew?

Every time I think I want a .280 or .280AI I pull out a trajectory differential chart that I worked out several years ago using one of the online ballistic calculators. Plugging in the highest velocity from Nosler's data for all three, and NOT adjustment for the different barrel lengths Nosler used when compiling that data, I generally find that MPBR (four inches) of both the .280 and AI version is within about twenty yards or so of the 7x57. When I adjust for the different barrel lengths (22 for 7x57, 26 for the other two), I come up with the same thing you do: about ten or twelve yards advantage, but with a lot more powder burned to get there. For me it's just not worth it. Now, if I find a .280 or AI that I actually want, that's a different story, but I certainly can't justify using either over the 7x57 ballistically. There just isn't enough difference.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.