Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My wife's aunt raises them and says she makes good money on them

Just wondering if anyone on here raises goats for meat for themselves or to sell. Or do you pasture them with cows to clean up weeds that the cows don't eat.

Just curious. I'm not really a fan of them,but my wife wants to get a few to clean up weeds. She has 3 pasture monuments and I'm really not interested in having something else that eats and don't make us any money.

Curious what 24 hour guys have to say

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a batch of them that I use for a muzzie bordello. Makes good money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It depends on the local market. We tried raising a few Boers. We have Mexicans and a few Muslims and Indians here who eat a lot of goats but they won't pay what they're worth. Feed's expensive. We could raise the meat goats on pasture but feeding the mothers during the winter offset the cheap grass.
Before you jump in, carefully check over your fences. The old saying is that if a fence will hold water, it'll hold goats. They're escape artists. We had one that learned to grab a sliding bolt gate latch and slide it sideways to open it. They're fun, though. They have much more personality than other farm animals.
Don't plan on letting them roam free. They love high places, like roof of your car.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had a herd of 30 years ago don’t do it trust me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a couple whose primary function is weed control. We sell them at the end of the year (Christmas season) to our Mexican customers. For our business, it's as much an advertising effort as a revenue effort. Anything we can do to get the customers talking about us in positive terms is a good thing. Goats are one of those things.

There is a strong seasonality to the demand, and if you try to sell when you want to sell, there's no money to be had. At the right time, with an animal the right size, to the right person, you can make a buck. Think of it as selling the equivalent of hams or turkeys, but to Hispanics and Muslims. Don't try to sell turkeys to white people on the 4th of July.

This time of year, every Tom, Dick and Harriet is getting rid of goats from their back yard, cheap, cheaper, or free. Lots of "come and get it" ads in the paper. Usually with a tear jerker explanation "these are my friends, can't split up the two sisters".

Biggest concern I have is predation (both two legged and four legged). Anything larger than a house cat will kill a kid and drag it off, and it's a lot easier to cap a goat and throw it in the trunk of a car than a steer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I really wanted to get a couple 4H goats so I'd not need to mow the lawn. Then came to my senses.

This year has seen us get out of the Beta fish business (he ded), we got a cat that seems mousy, getting a puppy and have a crazy-assed parakeet ranch operation and have to give them away. Guinea pigs was a bust btdt. Kid handles death well - get the shovel!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Raising goats is an exercise in futility.
I enjoyed the goats we had, but we never had a "herd". Never over 3 or 4 at a time.
Rock Chuck pretty much has it down pat on casual goat ownership.
If you end up overpopulated, the market is squat.
Give them away or sell them for a song and a month later, the market goes nuts.
The Boer goat market is absolutely insane. No way would I pay that much for a goat.
Know a lady here in OK who raises some sort of Nigerian "Nut Grass" goats or some such. Ungodly sums they asked for goats that didn't appear any more special that a $10 Spanish goat.

P.S. - I have known folks who made a butt loads of money off those Boer goats....and the Nigerian goats. No idea of their marketing strategy....but it seemed to work. People drove thousands of miles and paid hundreds, if not thousands for a goat.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 10/16/22.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not yet……though, considering milk and meat goats for our consumption only!
memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/16/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hahahaha!!!
Ask Slumlord about meat goats. 🤣🤣🤣

He still thinks to this day I was the one that did it..
🥴🥴🥴🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone fuct my goats

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Raising goats is an exercise in futility.
I enjoyed the goats we had, but we never had a "herd". Never over 3 or 4 at a time.
Rock Chuck pretty much has it down pat on casual goat ownership.
If you end up overpopulated, the market is squat.
Give them away or sell them for a song and a month later, the market goes nuts.
The Boer goat market is absolutely insane. No way would I pay that much for a goat.
Know a lady here in OK who raises some sort of Nigerian "Nut Grass" goats or some such. Ungodly sums they asked for goats that didn't appear any more special that a $10 Spanish goat.

P.S. - I have known folks who made a butt loads of money off those Boer goats....and the Nigerian goats. No idea of their marketing strategy....but it seemed to work. People drove thousands of miles and paid hundreds, if not thousands for a goat.
If you get into registered breeding stock, there's no end to what people will pay. A common registered Boer buck can easily top $1000. Show quality bucks can sell for much more.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Someone fuct my goats
How could you tell?
Did they have that afterglow and were smoking a cigarette?

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jcmcubic raises goats I think.

MAGA
T
Torqued Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=slumlord]Someone fuct my goats[/quote

Holy schitt I can't stop laughing

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Someone fuct my goats
Was they caught in the act we need details

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Couldn't run a dna sample off the condo on the barn floor? grin

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Someone fuct my goats
Pimpn now extra $, or just making more movies?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Farmer around here caught a guy screwing one of his goats. Held the guy at gunpoint until the cops showed up and arrested him. Went to court and the judge sentenced him to 6mo county and $1500. The farmer asked the judge how much of the $1500 was his and judge said nothing. The farmer argued that his goat was ruined, wouldn't let anyone near it. Judge just shrugged it off..... Some people don't deserve to breath!

LGBTQB (b= beastiality)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Jcmcubic raises goats I think.

I know Kaywoodie used to but i don't know if he does anymore or not, either way he'd be a wealth of info on it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kelbro
I have a batch of them that I use for a muzzie bordello. Makes good money.
sheeps for high class clients.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, BangPop, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.