Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm looking to have a 20 caliber rifle barrel assy for my Savage Impulse Predator .243 chambered rifle.
I've been using a turn bolt rifle chambered in 20 practical for my restricted area predator hunting needs in NY state.
I would like to use the Impulse rifle for all of my predator hunting and swap barrel Assy's when needed, but Savage doesn't offer a .223 bolt head for the Impulse yet or maybe never, so I'd like to find a 20 cal cartridge that's based off of the .473 OD rim dia of the .243 that doesn't need to much work to form it or special magazines to feed it.
The reason I went with the 20 practical, was because of the minimal work needed to form the case and it feeds from any .223 magazine without modification.
I've searched, but have come up empty in my quest.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and 20's are a bitter pill. Hint.

You are pissing up ALOTTA ropes. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps and 20's are a bitter pill. Hint.

I speak and read four different languages, yet I don't have a clue on how to decipher this reply ?

Last edited by shoots100; 10/16/22.

VL
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There was a few guys that built .20 BR's back when people cared about the .204 bores. But I see what you need to do - it's either that or a .17 during NYS deer season unless you go rimfire or shotgun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cite any/all words that you find "too big" or "too Technical" and I'll use lesser versions,just for you. Hint.

As an aside,STUPIDITY isn't an "advantage" and now even you "know". You are doing "Great!". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Cite any/all words that you find "too big" or "too Technical" and I'll use lesser versions,just for you. Hint.

As an aside,STUPIDITY isn't an "advantage" and now even you "know". You are doing "Great!". Hint.

I'm looking for information, So please refrain from posting here if you have nothing to contribute or please contribute in a language that a mere mortal can understand ?

dznnf7 thanks for the reply.
I looked into the other 20 cals offerings, but the multiple forming steps and magazine feeding issues are a turn off, not to mention the price of the brass you need to form them from.
Not a fan of the 17 cal.
Have had no issues killing coyote with the 40Gr V max and I have a lot of them, so I'd like to stick with 20 cal.

VL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
scoots,

Your STUPIDITY rests upon your narrow shoulders and is nobody else's "fault". Hint.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shoots100

I'm looking for information, So please refrain from posting here if you have nothing to contribute or please contribute in a language that a mere mortal can understand ?

I looked into the other 20 cals offerings, but the multiple forming steps and magazine feeding issues are a turn off, not to mention the price of the brass you need to form them from.
Not a fan of the 17 cal.
Have had no issues killing coyote with the 40Gr V max and I have a lot of them, so I'd like to stick with 20 cal.

Put his ass on ignore. He knows way more than any of us mere mortals.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bitchlambert,

Ain't it a fhuqking hoot,that even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,KNOWS better than to try and talk rifles. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

You Melting Snowflake Professional Victims,are a fhuqking RIOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd think the 22-250 would be a place I would start -- a 20-250. Or if you don't like the shape of the 22-250 case then 20-250AI.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/16/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by shoots100

Not a fan of the 17 cal.

Put his ass on ignore. He knows way more than any of us mere mortals.
The BS is the first member on this forum I've had to ignore for posting BS.
I did find 20-243 AI chamber reamers available from PT&G, but no brass or die.
Lee could make a die set, but I need brass to get it made.
I could also ask my machinist friend that made the quick change Impulse barrel parts for me if he could make a .223 .378" rim dia bolt head.
It would probably cost the same as buying the reamers, die set and brass to form into the 20-243.

VL
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'd think the 22-250 would be a place I would start -- a 20-250. Or if you don't like the shape of the 22-250 case then 20-250AI.
No BS from you Bugger and thanks for the 20-250 recommendation.
It has the .473 rim Dia, short action, feeds from mags nicely and one step brass forming like the 20 practical.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Now another journey begins.

SJC

VL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
scoots,

You are in soooooo very fhuqking far over your pointy head and crossed-eyes,that it is simply fhuqking MAGNIFICENT. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Another great contribution to this thread.... Hint
Thanks for the links.
I think I'm settled on the 20-250 cartridge, as I have several hundred 22-250 cases and an RCBS die set.
Traded the 22-250 rifle for a thermal spotter years ago and remembered I had the components stashed away.
Sometimes it's not so bad being a horder.
I will be ordering a barrel from preferred barrels after the season is over next year and have the rifle ready for the fall 2023 season.

SJC

VL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
scoots,

The ONLY fhuqking things you are going to "shoot" are your mouth and Imagination...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a pic of said die set,if only to correlate that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fuqking Schit. Hint.

Don't forget,you "can't read this". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I built a 20 tax before the 204 came out. Great calling cartridge and coyote killer to 400 yds. I like it and the 17 rem but they run out of steam after that. Unless someone makes 60 or 70 grain bullet in 20 cal, all you will gain is a few yds and about 1/4 the barrel life. I think the 20 tac/ practical is the optimum case size for the 20 cal. Just my opinion

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your 20Tac was THE first .204" any of us had ever seen. Now there's .585 BC's in .224" and who woulda EVER guessed that?!? Hint.....................(grin)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A sub .300 BC 48gr 20cal.,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint..............

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.