Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a .264 WM barrel put on a Ruger #1 about 28 years ago. This was before there were all the current 6.5s obviously. I shot it this year and it still shoots small groups with Hornady 140g SP. Would I have picked the .264 if the others were available then I don't know, but I do know I have a lot of brass and good loads for it so will stick with it until I shoot it out.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I had a .264 WM barrel put on a Ruger #1 about 28 years ago. I have a lot of brass and good loads for it so will stick with it until I shoot it out.

Exactly. Brass, nice die set, powders applicable.

I’m not moving into another chambering and buying a bunch of brass and dies for a modest gain. I’m quite happy with accuracy and velocity the old, decrepit .264 Winchester Magnum spits out.

😁

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The 264 is the gun I couldn’t make myself buy but wished I had. Bad press and to much reading of the experts. A couple of buddies had them and made some very long shots back in the hold and hope days.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Never had one but wanted one for years. I was always worried about barrel longevity. Looking for 6.5-06 these days.

Texas bred and born
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm waiting on somebody to revive the .256 Newton, the original 6.5mm barnburner. But I won't hold my breath!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunted with a very accurate custom 6.5-06 for several years, which would average around 3-inch groups with it's best load--at 600 yards.

A fine round though since it's a wildcat (or at least has been since A-Square went out of business) there are some quirks to handloading it. I mention them in Chapter 29 of the first Big Book of Gun Gack, "The 6.5-.284 and 6.5-06."

The 6.5 PRC is even closer to a short-action 6.5-06 than the 6.5/.284, and has several advantages, both in factory ammo and brass.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm waiting on somebody to revive the .256 Newton, the original 6.5mm barnburner. But I won't hold my breath!

My Grandfather had one! He loved it until it was stolen out of the gun rack in his GMC

I still have the original ammo!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hunted with a very accurate custom 6.5-06 for several years, which would average around 3-inch groups with it's best load--at 600 yards.

A fine round though since it's a wildcat (or at least has been since A-Square went out of business) there are some quirks to handloading it. I mention them in Chapter 29 of the first Big Book of Gun Gack, "The 6.5-.284 and 6.5-06."

The 6.5 PRC is even closer to a short-action 6.5-06 than the 6.5/.284, and has several advantages, both in factory ammo and brass.

Thanks for the information. I'll check out chapter 29.

David

Texas bred and born
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I had a .264 WM barrel put on a Ruger #1 about 28 years ago. I have a lot of brass and good loads for it so will stick with it until I shoot it out.

Exactly. Brass, nice die set, powders applicable.

I’m not moving into another chambering and buying a bunch of brass and dies for a modest gain. I’m quite happy with accuracy and velocity the old, decrepit .264 Winchester Magnum spits out.

😁

Same here. I didn’t find it all that fussy either once I realized 25, Retumbo, 33, etc really make it run.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mule Deer,
I'm having a .264 Win mag assembled this winter. I was wondering if there is any evidence of inconsistent pressures with this cartridge like there is with the 7mm Rem Mag?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us here on the fire!
Sam

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
sambo3006,

No, the .264 doesn't seem to have that quirk! It's also easy to get to shoot well, if the brass is of consistent dimensions, especially the neck thickness--which tends to be a problem with 21st-century Winchester brass. That's why I used necked-down 7mm Remington Norma cases in my first .264 in 2004: Their necks were very uniform, and they worked very well.

The major problem I've seen with the .264 is short barrel life, as several people have already mentioned. This is caused not just by the large powder charges compared to the bore-size, but the shoulder angle directing more of the hot powder gas into the rear of the rifling.

The .243 Winchester is also known for short barrel life, due to its combination of shoulder angle and a short neck--which is why David Tubb developed his 6XC cartridge. It has only slightly less powder capacity than the .243, but a steeper shoulder and far longer neck--which extends barrel life considerably.

Many of the commercial hunting cartridges introduced in the 1950s and 60s had a combination of shoulder angle and short neck similar to the .243's and .264's, one reason many more recently introduced rounds have steeper shoulders, and often longer necks. Both tend to extend barrel life. The 26 Nosler's barrel life tends to be at least as long as the .264's, despite its much larger powder capacity, because its sharper 35-degree shoulder tends to direct more powder gas inside the neck, rather than into the bore in front of the case mouth.

Whether all of that is relevant to hunters who may only shoot a rifle a few hundred times in their life is another question! But it is a factor that's changed case design over the past half-century.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you MD!
I have also considered the 6.5-270 Weatherby due to it's longer neck and shoulder angle configuration. I just don't think the increase in barrel life is worth it for the amount of rounds I shoot a given rifle per year. Also, I'm using an action that was trued by Longrifles Inc and therefore they are my choice for the barrel installation. They do not include this cartridge on their reamer list.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nosler and Norma both make 264 Win mag brass, but it's kind of pricey.

I'm glad I bought a few hundred pieces before the prices skyrocketed.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you need .264 brass, just neck down 7mm Rem Mag. WIth a factory chamber you won't need to turn / ream necks. With a custom chamber, you might already have to even with .264 brass.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Personally, I eventually found the 26 Nosler solves all the supposed "problems" of the .264--with no more perceivable throat erosion. Generally at least 1000 rounds can be fired before any noticeable reduction in accuracy--and it's easy to get 3300 with 140s in a 26" barrel.

But also eventually found out either the 6.5 PRC or .270 Winchester work well for my purposes, with noticeably less recoil, a wider range of excellent powder choices--and a similar reduction in other hassles, such as finding brass, especially good brass.

Of course, the basic definition of "rifle loony" will always mean SOME of us will be determined to champion cartridges such as the .264, which never became very popular in the first place, decades ago.

But am always interested in new variations on flogging a dead horse....

Yep, the 264 Win mag is like the old school front engine nitro dragsters, burns rubber all the way down the quarter mile track, they'll both get you there, but, newer offering are more efficient, the 140gr Grand Slams are running 3200 fps and 3 inches high at 100, ready for some old school white tail hunting, blast, flames, dirty bore and all, it'll be great!

The old 4-12x40 AO gloss Redfield is still plenty clear for dawn/dusk hunting, it's AO is marked in yards and meters, period correct glass that right at home on the 26" barreled Westerner.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Personally, I eventually found the 26 Nosler solves all the supposed "problems" of the .264--with no more perceivable throat erosion. Generally at least 1000 rounds can be fired before any noticeable reduction in accuracy--and it's easy to get 3300 with 140s in a 26" barrel.

But also eventually found out either the 6.5 PRC or .270 Winchester work well for my purposes, with noticeably less recoil, a wider range of excellent powder choices--and a similar reduction in other hassles, such as finding brass, especially good brass.

Of course, the basic definition of "rifle loony" will always mean SOME of us will be determined to champion cartridges such as the .264, which never became very popular in the first place, decades ago.

But am always interested in new variations on flogging a dead horse....

Yep, the 264 Win mag is like the old school front engine nitro dragsters, burns rubber all the way down the quarter mile track, they'll both get you there, but, newer offering are more efficient, the 140gr Grand Slams are running 3200 fps and 3 inches high at 100, ready for some old school white tail hunting, blast, flames, dirty bore and all, it'll be great!

The old 4-12x40 AO gloss Redfield is still plenty clear for dawn/dusk hunting, it's AO is marked in yards and meters, period correct glass that right at home on the 26" barreled Westerner.

Yeah buddy! You aren't leaving nothing behind there!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^Going to be some fun stuff my Friend.

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.