Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
I'm happy for you, not my cup of tea.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
I'm happy for you, not my cup of tea.

That’s fine, he’s not promoting killin/huntin them, but rather sharing a beautiful amazing animal most of us love. I appreciate em👊🏻

That's fine, I didn't say he was promoting killin/hunting them, did I? Yes, a beautiful, engineered animal in a fence.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
GB1

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud, thanks! You know hunting critters and fish don't fire me up anymore like good off roading on two wheels. Lots of good trails out your way in WA. Dirt bikes are making me drop the lbs too. About to be under 200 for the first time in a long while. Feeling good.

Dave, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I've got opinions too. LOL. A cool autumn afternoon, with a hot cup of coffee, watching deer be deer, without me thinking I got to kill one or worry about someone else doing it, is about as good as it gets to me.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not knocking what you're doing but I guess my hesitation would be with controlling diseases over time.

EHD is the killer down here. Our strategy was a hardy heard over freaky, non native 300" bucks. The more native, the more hardy. So far the herd has been extremely hardy. Knock on wood, because your concern is real.

Case in point will be the fifth and final buck. When you see him its obvious he is the farthest from native. He almost died this year, EHD most likely. Nothing but bones. Every rib, hip bone, and spine shown. It was a sad sight. I said he had no chance of living. To our surprise, he appears to be making a recovery, acting normal again and putting weight back on. He's still puny, but 30 lbs minimum heavier than he was 45 days ago. Our objective is clean, typical bucks, but dang it, this fellow now has me pulling for him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
To those who think deer don't eat privet, check out the browse line in the background of the above pic. And they are way cooler than goats.

Repost for a better view of the hammered privet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
A fella could hunt his whole life and never even see a buck like that, much less take one. Breathtaking buck for sure.

John
No kidding! Some incredible bucks.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
REALLY cool!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So no breeding to enhance overall area genetics because you keep them in a high fence permanently. And you’re not gonna hunt them or try to make a profit off them? What’s the point?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
So no breeding to enhance overall area genetics because you keep them in a high fence permanently. And you’re not gonna hunt them or try to make a profit off them? What’s the point?

We enjoy them more alive than dead, thats the point.

On another note, you can't insert enough deer or cull enough deer to make a meaningful genetic difference in the wild, not in a lifetime anyway. You make a difference in the wild with nutrition and age.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

On another note, you can't insert enough deer or cull enough deer to make a meaningful genetic difference in the wild, not in a lifetime anyway. You make a difference in the wild with nutrition and age.
I was referring to rios method he mentioned. If I misunderstood that, my fault.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

I was referring to rios method he mentioned. If I misunderstood that, my fault.

10-4. All good.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
alwaysoutdoors, not my method, my explanation. Rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell ya your down to fightin weight!!👊🏻

Yes lotsa great riding, Pards go over to some desert race in central Wa, over by Mattawa, guess it’s a hellava time! I’d love to get another bike, my huntin, and just ordered a sled, “river boat”, and the boy over Montana I just ain’t got the time. Maybe it’ll change someday, but right now it’ll be salmon/steelhead/crab slaying 👊🏻

Grats on the weight loss lil buddy. Be careful on those bikes, you are gettin old!! 😂👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some beautiful livestock there.

Thanks for the pics.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
ctsmith, What ever you are doing, you are doing it right. I have never seen 3 year old Bucks look like that. Weather you agree or not with deer that are fenced in. To each his own. Everyone has the right to their opinion. But this is not a high fence hunting operation. And these Bucks are not hunted. That being said, Even with good genetics and excellent feed/proteins. These Bucks are exceptional for there age. Beautiful animals.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Judman
Hell ya your down to fightin weight!!👊🏻

Yes lotsa great riding, Pards go over to some desert race in central Wa, over by Mattawa, guess it’s a hellava time! I’d love to get another bike, my huntin, and just ordered a sled, “river boat”, and the boy over Montana I just ain’t got the time. Maybe it’ll change someday, but right now it’ll be salmon/steelhead/crab slaying 👊🏻

Grats on the weight loss lil buddy. Be careful on those bikes, you are gettin old!! 😂👍
Cool

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What method do you use to control the population? You mentioned taking them out is a necessary evil in your first post. How do you do that? Do you shoot them or trap them and then sell them or give them away ? Do you primarily take out does? Too many big bucks could be a problem too because you’re going to have a lot of fighting during the rut and some mortality among your prime bucks. Seems to be something you’d have to really stay on top of because deer can reproduce fast and could over populate your several hundred acres pretty quick.

Last edited by GAGoober; 10/22/22.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
GAG, we shoot them to control population, all within game laws, same as a free range herd. As previously mentioned, if there is any handling of the deer, a breeder license is required, and thats a no go, zero interest. The objective is a 50/50 ratio, and the bucks started way behind, so only killing culls. The current oldest class, the three year olds pictured above, have two more bucks not pictured. There is actually seven in the class, I just didn't elaborate earlier. We will cull the two this year. Had to hit the does pretty hard last year, the objective of which is to keep the reproducing doe number stagnant, we feel the doe population is about right.

The two year old class is currently eight strong. A few of those will probably be culled.

When the bucks catch up to the does, what will we do? Can't say for sure, we'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sound a lot like hunting

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sound a lot like hunting

Killing, not hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Sound a lot like hunting

Killing, not hunting.

Sounds a lot like fun to me. It's outdoors, marveling and admiring God's creation, how can it get much better?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,240
Posts18,524,908
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.