Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lacking experience that most here have, I’m looking for a bit of guidance as to what are reasonable expectations.

All of my rifles have always been scoped. I’m wondering, using iron sights, out to what range are you confident of making a clean shot? Include your age, that matters! 😉😋

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
That's a really loaded question... lots of factors in play there, like your target, shooting and weather conditons, cartridge and load.

Off a bench, I can plink steel plates all day at 200yds with my any of my 99s as long as it's not a real windy day. With something like the 45 Colt, 100 yards is reaching just because there is so much bullet drop. On a windy day, those distances shorten considerably.

Out in the field is an entirely different ballgame... from field positions, 40-125 yards depending on the cartridge, target, and weather.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a good receiver sight, I feel like I can shoot up to 200 yards.

Iron sights more like 100.

I don't know that age matters. If you are 65 and have good eyesight that's better than being 25 and blind.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
100 yards

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Offhand? Sights, iron or glass make no difference at all. It's all on the man's ability. I will admit with the iron sights in full sun and the deer in the shade can be a challenge...but you will instantly know that when the glare on the front sight obscures the target. Of the years that I shot competition in NRA Sporting Rifle High Power, I'd guess 5% of shooters could hold 8 shots in a 7 inch ring at 200 yards. Maybe 70% of the shooters could put 8 shots in the aiming black which is about 13 inches. I'd say put up a paper plate, whang away at a hundred, if you can keep 4 out 4 on the plate move it out until you can't. I shoot a .300 Savage 1920 bolt with aperture rear, offhand, in good light, I would consider roughly 150 yards as my limit. I am 76 now and I don't hunt to kill, I hunt for meat and will not take hail mary shots. Quick, clean, one and done.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
With peep sights, I sometimes shoot better groups than with high end scopes. Not always, but when it happens, I love seeing tiny groups with iron sights.

I am 64, open sights are still workable for me, but I would draw the line at 100 yards max now. That said, virtually everything I hunt is around 100 yards or less these days.

This season, I am going to try out 2 new Aimpoint Nano red dot sights. On paper, and messing around, they appear to be a solution for aging eyes and easily get on target at 100 yards rapidly. I do not think longer shots would be out of the question.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 99guy
With a good receiver sight, I feel like I can shoot up to 200 yards.

Iron sights more like 100.

I don't know that age matters. If you are 65 and have good eyesight that's better than being 25 and blind.

Well let’s me honest, most of us lose our strong eyesight as we age..most of us, not all of us. In my 50’s mine started degrading, at 60 a little worse.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can shoot the 1899 in 38-55 with it's 26" barrel 150 yards no problem in daylight. Short barreled guns give me fits w/o optics.

LOL
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I can still line up pretty good with any sight arrangement

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on the gun/sights and lighting as others have said. As a general rule 150-200 yards with an optimal receiver sight/front bead combo on a 24" barreled hunting rifle, in glaring daylight. Probably only 100 yards or so on a rainy day. Open sights? Dunno, I haven't tried shooting with one of those since the last century, except for 1903 Springfields but that's a topic of conversation for those with a masochistic bent.

The longer the distance to the front sight, the easier it is to see a relatively sharp front sight bead along with a focused target. A 26" barrel has an advantage over a 24", and a 30" barrel has an advantage over that. It's why most top tier target rifles had 28-32" barrels 120 years ago, that and the added weight forward balance needed for accurate offhand shooting. The rear aperture does a lot to help keep the all-important front sight and target in focus, but it's always a compromise in terms of lighting adaptation and need for more focus.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know about other old dinosaurs, but surprisingly after 40 yrs of aperture rear...I find myself getting better groups with leaf sights, wide and deep with lots of light spilling around the edges, mounted well forward on the barrel, and a great big front post similar in dimension to the M14. IOW, something very similar to a Patridge pistol sight pattern or the old "California Sights" found on muzzle loaders built in the 1840's, 50's and 60's. Combining that with a high contrast Vee target, I can reach a level of precision suitable for evaluating load development. Might be worth a try if you are having trouble...you need not modify the rifle just to see if it will work for you...one of those neonidium magnets makes a quick and dirty sight base with a little JB weld to hold a leaf in place and a blob on the front sight to file to custom width with a dead true flat rear face. Under ideal light and dead calm I am getting fairly consistent, maybe 40% chest size hits at 600 yards with cast bullets in a trapdoor (never exactly the benchresters first choice of rifles).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Under ideal light and dead calm I am getting fairly consistent, maybe 40% chest size hits at 600 yards with cast bullets in a trapdoor (never exactly the benchresters first choice of rifles).

Whew. Those buggers can shoot, actually. I watched a guy make some astonishing groups and scores at 200 yards in a blackpowder military rifle relay at our three day Schuetzenfest this past weekend - with a M1884 trapdoor .45-70 and Buffington rear sight, with black powder and plain base 500 grain cast bullets. 2 1/2" groups and scores in the 240-ish out of 250 region, on the German 25-ring target, benchrested.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As others have said, it depends. 150 yards generally with open sights, further with an aperture, but again rifle and cartridge matters.

400 with a Sharps 45/70 and a very steady rest.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I should amend my statement that my abilities at any distance are dependent on some kind of rest, even if it's just a tree trunk. If I had to rely on my bolloxed up posture to attempt a shot completely off my hind legs, substitute the word "feet" for "yards" in my assessment! crazy I got my shooting eye fixed and can actually see sights again, but my scoliosis remains.

There's a guy I once saw shoot a pinwheel (dead center) with an iron sighted Savage. I wonder if he's still around? grin

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I hunt, I want to be at a 100 or less no matter what the optics or sights I am using. The longest shot on my property is 140 yards. At that distance I would like to use the scope.

I could probably do more with the receiver sight than I’m comfortable with now.

But I don’t like losing deer. Ever.

If my gun goes bang, you can bet the mortgage payment I got him.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day, 200 yards was a chip shot. 600 to maybe 650 was a good probable. That was 35 - 40 years ago. These days maybe 150 unless it's running. Things change. Life goes on.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Back in the day, 200 yards was a chip shot. 600 to maybe 650 was a good probable. That was 35 - 40 years ago. These days maybe 150 unless it's running. Things change. Life goes on.

Without a scope? Wouldn't your front sight completely block out a deer at 600yds?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
With my 250, 250 yards, but that’s the longest I’ve practiced with. 2X7 Redfield set on 4X.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Without a scope? Wouldn't your front sight completely block out a deer at 600yds?

Not if you sighted in using a 6 O'clock hold.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before Lasix……

I could see the back sight, front sight, target.

Pick two!

Never could see all three.

After lasix….

Now I can see them all. I generally shoot my iron sights about 50 to 80 yards off hand.

On a bench I will shoot 100 yards.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,303
Posts18,487,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.