Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 81 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 80 81
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
People who are unchurched or dechurched, and even people who profess to be Christians, they need to realize and know that there’s a great deal of evidence for the events in the New Testament. And science and history and logic and reason all provide evidence…not only for these events…but also for the reliability of the New Testament documents (the Gospels and Acts in particular).

Something extraordinary happened in the early first century that enabled and motivated a tiny sect in the miserable and desolate armpit of the Roman Empire to not only survive, but to thrive. This tiny group, who had no power and no finances and no territory and no army, was able to withstand the persecution of the Jewish Temple…the very center of Judaism and national identity of Ancient Israel…which had an abundance of all of these things. The power structure of Judaism was the first group to persecute Jesus and His followers.

The Jewish Temple later joined forces with the despised occupiers of Judea, the mighty Roman Empire, and this same tiny sect was able to withstand the persecution of these combined forces as well. And the Roman Empire had vast amounts of power and finances and territory, and a huge army. Something clearly extraordinary was at play to bring these things about.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
[quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm][quote=CCCC][quote=mauserand9mm]Calling the cosmos, or universe, a creation is an unsubstantiated assertion.
There's nothing in religious documents that even come close to describing the universe because those writers had no idea. You'd think a god would want to mention that to somebody - might've added more clout to the story.
Stating that the creation of the universe is an unsubstantiated assertion - - is itself an unsubstantiated assertion.

How would a rational person go about proving that "those writers had no idea". Would someone please post that proof?

We discussed this before....There is much evidence in God the Bible that strengthens our Faith in the hope for things promised and unseen.....BUT, and this is a really big BUTT....there is no MAUSER PROOF.

We discussed this before....evidence shows the truth of a proposition. Faith doesn't use evidence otherwise it would be called fact, not faith.

Evidence shows POSSIBLE truth of a proposition, as I always stated...GEEESCH MAUSER, I stated (before) that I believe something that I do not know to be MAUSER PROOF many times to you...but there is much evidence in God the Bible. Again, all the evidence leads to the hope and promise for the things in God the Bible to be true and is called Christian Faith.

We discussed this before....you misunderstand the word. You probably mean to use "exhibits" or "observations". It becomes evidence once the proposition has been proven true ie evidence supports the truth. Your evidence is evidence of something but until it is linked to a fact, it's just an observation.

I believe we are saying the same thing....I look at it like the below paper from 40 years ago....

Evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-guesses….We can build up piles and piles of evidence for ideas. When the pile reaches a certain height, it behooves us to begin to take it rather seriously. That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down.

***Proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement.***

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT
Yes, Pascal theory is based on hell avoidance, and also I believe the love of God.....I believe hell is a purgatory of sorts that cleanses people of their sins before they go to heaven.

There are verses that say otherwise.

Even assuming that you are right, being thrown into hell for length of time over a minor issue like a lack of conviction when there is no justification - which is perfectly reasonable - is hardly going to endear those who are suffering to the one who put them there.

Believe or suffer the consequences is a rule that a tyrant might impose, not a God of love.

I don't agree....lack of believing is not minor in my book...

>>>>Believe or suffer the consequences is a rule that a tyrant might impose, not a God of love.<<<<

This is my take....I think that God doesn’t demand obedience, but seeks a relationship in hopes to inspire our loving others, like God loves us. This is what truly leads to the best of worlds. God, like any loving parent, is opposed to immoral behaviors that violate the rights of others, but knows threats of punishment only deter destruction and not inspire true change. A tyrant could care less about your rights and your freedom. A tyrant could care less that you will be more of an authentic person when you make choices not out of fear of consequences, but because the voice behind such guidance is God's love.

Last edited by Raspy; 10/24/22. Reason: spelling

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm][quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm]

My statement still remains otherwise uncorrected - you haven't shown otherwise.

I haven't shown otherwise? You state above "There's nothing in religious documents that even come close to describing the universe"... I just quoted scriptures.

Genesis is the description of creation and it fails miserably. Your cherry picked clause does nothing to descibe the universe, it lays blanket claim to everything - how childish.

Of course, childish to you, an atheist...the thrust of the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God,....the Universe (i.e., the cosmos) is here, and a Cause is needed. Hawking (you've heard of this scientist) tacitly acknowledges that a Creator is needed in the equation if there is not an adequate explanation for the Universe without Him....but in the end, Hawking’s assertions, like yours, are just that—assertions....and a good description of the universe is...the Universe consists of celestial bodies like the stars, planets, galaxy, dust and gases. The Universe is a large space that contains everything, i.e., all matter and energy from the smallest particles to the largest particles. Everything found in space belongs to the Universe.

God is a pacifier solution for those impatient and really wanting an answer, irrespective of what the truth may be, and in many cases despite what the truth is. The threat of hell is part of the sales pitch for those sitting on the fence - I think Pascal was one of the fence sitters in a neighbourhood of Christians.

I'm not impatient for the answer...people don’t need a threat of Hell to be reconciled to God; they need to taste his infinite love...In the Kingdom of God there can be no fence sitters, as Christians, we must wholeheartedly give ourselves to God in Christ Jesus and not look back. If we remain fence sitters, we will most likely be spewed out.... Pascal's Wager: Belief in God is the rational choice, due to the consequences of being wrong....I think that Pascal is saying that it would be prudent to have a belief in God because of the consequences of not believing.....but this is an important part for Christians, one must continue to pray, ask for forgiveness, and always do the right thing… But I don't believe that it can stop there. One must become mature in their faith and have definitive reasons for it that are based on the truth and not just pragmatism, because as stated before, God can see what is truly in the heart.....

You may be correct about Pascal being a fence sitter...I just do not know.

Yes, Pascal theory is based on hell avoidance, and also I believe the love of God.....I believe hell is a purgatory of sorts that cleanses people of their sins before they go to heaven.

You brought up Pascals wager a long time ago, long before Whitetail48 got angry at you for communicating with the atheists.
If you only rely on the love of a god, why even bother considering Pascals wager? You not sure or something? A bit weak in the conviction maybe?

I didn't get angry with Whitetail48...only an atheist would...>>>>If you only rely on the love of a god, why even bother considering Pascals wager?<<<<
I already told you that way way back, in my early 20s, Pascal's theory intrigued me...it was a fifty-fifty chance....I had no demanding faith involved...so as time went by, I started to pray, ask for forgiveness, and always did the right thing… and as more time went by, I realized that it cannot stop there.....I must become mature in my faith and have definitive reasons for it that are based on the possible truth and not just pragmatism, because as stated before, God can see what is truly in the heart.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
God revealed Himself to the world. Two sides of the same coin. In the Old Testament, God is Holy, and sin had to have a sacrifice to have yourself cleansed to be acceptable to God. God hated sin and punished for it and gave the Law to be obeyed to avoid God's judgement. No one could completely obey the law, thus the blood sacrifices of sheep and goats.

In the New Testament, God reveals His Love and forgiveness by becoming a perfect man and dying for our sins, raising from the dead, to give us eternal life. IF we repent of our sins, acknowledge our sin and frailty, and accept Jesus into our hearts to be saved from God's judgement. Jesus living within us causes us to live better lives, and we want to give up sin to please God and be filled with His love. An unbeliever doesn't understand this, never have, never will. That is why probably only 20% of those who attend church are true Christians who actually know God.

Nothing is demanded by God, it is your belief in Jesus as Lord of Lords, and King of Kings, and acceptance of Him as your Savior that will save you. God is patient, and longsuffering waiting on those who will believe. God did demand the Jews obey Him to show that they couldn't really do it completely. So, today, if you Heed His Call, you can be saved from what is to come of the world.

The world is getting more wicked as they give up their belief in God. Murder, rape, homosexuality, abortion, stealing, lying, is running rampant, not only in America, but the world. The world needs Jesus as savior.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm][quote=CCCC][quote=mauserand9mm]Calling the cosmos, or universe, a creation is an unsubstantiated assertion.
There's nothing in religious documents that even come close to describing the universe because those writers had no idea. You'd think a god would want to mention that to somebody - might've added more clout to the story.
Stating that the creation of the universe is an unsubstantiated assertion - - is itself an unsubstantiated assertion.

How would a rational person go about proving that "those writers had no idea". Would someone please post that proof?

We discussed this before....There is much evidence in God the Bible that strengthens our Faith in the hope for things promised and unseen.....BUT, and this is a really big BUTT....there is no MAUSER PROOF.

We discussed this before....evidence shows the truth of a proposition. Faith doesn't use evidence otherwise it would be called fact, not faith.

Evidence shows POSSIBLE truth of a proposition, as I always stated...GEEESCH MAUSER, I stated (before) that I believe something that I do not know to be MAUSER PROOF many times to you...but there is much evidence in God the Bible. Again, all the evidence leads to the hope and promise for the things in God the Bible to be true and is called Christian Faith.

We discussed this before....you misunderstand the word. You probably mean to use "exhibits" or "observations". It becomes evidence once the proposition has been proven true ie evidence supports the truth. Your evidence is evidence of something but until it is linked to a fact, it's just an observation.

I believe we are saying the same thing....I look at it like the below paper from 40 years ago....

Evidence will never be 100% — there’s always the chance that everything you think you know turns out to be false — but the evidence allows you to make current-best-evidence-guesses….We can build up piles and piles of evidence for ideas. When the pile reaches a certain height, it behooves us to begin to take it rather seriously. That is, until someone removes a critical piece from the bottom of the pile, and the entire edifice comes crashing down.

***Proof is the final verdict that removes all doubts whereas evidence only leads one in the direction of a fact or statement.***

It'd be best to shred that paper - it's wrong.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I haven't shown otherwise? You state above "There's nothing in religious documents that even come close to describing the universe"... I just quoted scriptures.

Genesis is the description of creation and it fails miserably. Your cherry picked clause does nothing to descibe the universe, it lays blanket claim to everything - how childish.

Of course, childish to you, an atheist...the thrust of the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God,....the Universe (i.e., the cosmos) is here, and a Cause is needed. Hawking (you've heard of this scientist) tacitly acknowledges that a Creator is needed in the equation if there is not an adequate explanation for the Universe without Him....but in the end, Hawking’s assertions, like yours, are just that—assertions....and a good description of the universe is...the Universe consists of celestial bodies like the stars, planets, galaxy, dust and gases. The Universe is a large space that contains everything, i.e., all matter and energy from the smallest particles to the largest particles. Everything found in space belongs to the Universe.

God is a pacifier solution for those impatient and really wanting an answer, irrespective of what the truth may be, and in many cases despite what the truth is. The threat of hell is part of the sales pitch for those sitting on the fence - I think Pascal was one of the fence sitters in a neighbourhood of Christians.

I'm not impatient for the answer...people don’t need a threat of Hell to be reconciled to God; they need to taste his infinite love...In the Kingdom of God there can be no fence sitters, as Christians, we must wholeheartedly give ourselves to God in Christ Jesus and not look back. If we remain fence sitters, we will most likely be spewed out.... Pascal's Wager: Belief in God is the rational choice, due to the consequences of being wrong....I think that Pascal is saying that it would be prudent to have a belief in God because of the consequences of not believing.....but this is an important part for Christians, one must continue to pray, ask for forgiveness, and always do the right thing… But I don't believe that it can stop there. One must become mature in their faith and have definitive reasons for it that are based on the truth and not just pragmatism, because as stated before, God can see what is truly in the heart.....

You brought up Pascals wager a long time ago, long before Whitetail48 got angry at you for communicating with the atheists.
If you only rely on the love of a god, why even bother considering Pascals wager? You not sure or something? A bit weak in the conviction maybe?

I didn't get angry with Whitetail48...only an atheist would...>>>>If you only rely on the love of a god, why even bother considering Pascals wager?<<<<
I already told you that way way back, in my early 20s, Pascal's theory intrigued me...it was a fifty-fifty chance....I had no demanding faith involved...so as time went by, I started to pray, ask for forgiveness, and always did the right thing… and as more time went by, I realized that it cannot stop there.....I must become mature in my faith and have definitive reasons for it that are based on the possible truth and not just pragmatism, because as stated before, God can see what is truly in the heart.

I'd recommend starting with basic reading comprehension first.

Well?
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anchoring the texts of the New Testament documents to the individual author’s story and to a specific historical context is an evidence based approach, rather than just saying “the Bible says.” “The Bible says” clearly doesn’t carry a lotta weight in our post-Christian society.

And anchoring the faith of Christianity to the historicity of the resurrection is part of that evidence based approach as well. Reminding unchurched and dechurched people, as well as people who profess to be Christians, that we don’t believe Jesus rose from the dead simply “because the Bible says so” is part of that evidence based approach as well. We believe because Matthew believed. We believe because Mark believed. We believed because Luke believed. Along with Peter, James, John and Paul. You’ve got to deal with each one of these men and their accounts and testimonies separately.

Apostle Paul, who God Himself said was His chosen instrument to take the Gospel to the Gentiles ‘and’ to the Jews, declares that Christianity is false unless the resurrection of Jesus is a historical fact. He even names the living eyewitnesses of the Resurrection at the time, in effect daring his readers to fact-check him by asking those living eyewitnesses themselves about it. He didn’t say, “Believe that Jesus rose from the dead because I’m writing the Bible and the Bible says so”…!

Once one has established…via the evidence provided by science and history and logic and reason…that Jesus actually did rise from the dead, then whatever Jesus says and teaches is true. And since that evidence, once established, shows that the separate and individual accounts and testimonies contained in the New Testament documents are reliable, then what Jesus said and taught about salvation and His divinity is true.

Game on…!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
God revealed Himself to the world. Two sides of the same coin. In the Old Testament, God is Holy, and sin had to have a sacrifice to have yourself cleansed to be acceptable to God. God hated sin and punished for it and gave the Law to be obeyed to avoid God's judgement. No one could completely obey the law, thus the blood sacrifices of sheep and goats.

In the New Testament, God reveals His Love and forgiveness by becoming a perfect man and dying for our sins, raising from the dead, to give us eternal life. IF we repent of our sins, acknowledge our sin and frailty, and accept Jesus into our hearts to be saved from God's judgement. Jesus living within us causes us to live better lives, and we want to give up sin to please God and be filled with His love. An unbeliever doesn't understand this, never have, never will. That is why probably only 20% of those who attend church are true Christians who actually know God.

Nothing is demanded by God, it is your belief in Jesus as Lord of Lords, and King of Kings, and acceptance of Him as your Savior that will save you. God is patient, and longsuffering waiting on those who will believe. God did demand the Jews obey Him to show that they couldn't really do it completely. So, today, if you Heed His Call, you can be saved from what is to come of the world.

The world is getting more wicked as they give up their belief in God. Murder, rape, homosexuality, abortion, stealing, lying, is running rampant, not only in America, but the world. The world needs Jesus as savior.

If it is believing in God that saves us, that is a condition set by God, not us.

A trivial condition of a lack conviction in the face of insufficient evidence that sets your fate.

To be damned over a lack of conviction is not justice, understanding or tolerance, it is petty intolerance and injustice.

Who would condemn their own children to death or suffering because they did not believe in something you expect them to believe?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
People who are unchurched or dechurched, and even people who profess to be Christians, they need to realize and know that there’s a great deal of evidence for the events in the New Testament. And science and history and logic and reason all provide evidence…not only for these events…but also for the reliability of the New Testament documents (the Gospels and Acts in particular).

Something extraordinary happened in the early first century that enabled and motivated a tiny sect in the miserable and desolate armpit of the Roman Empire to not only survive, but to thrive. This tiny group, who had no power and no finances and no territory and no army, was able to withstand the persecution of the Jewish Temple…the very center of Judaism and national identity of Ancient Israel…which had an abundance of all of these things. The power structure of Judaism was the first group to persecute Jesus and His followers.

The Jewish Temple later joined forces with the despised occupiers of Judea, the mighty Roman Empire, and this same tiny sect was able to withstand the persecution of these combined forces as well. And the Roman Empire had vast amounts of power and finances and territory, and a huge army. Something clearly extraordinary was at play to bring these things about.

There is no evidence for the supernatural events described in the bible. We only have what someone wrote.

The people of the time where more likely to believe in supernatural things, seeing signs and wonders where we, being more sceptical with our better understanding of the natural world, would not.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Surely you jest...is that all?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=mauserand9mm][quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm][quote=Raspy][quote=mauserand9mm]

That's all? I'd recommend that you start with basic reading comprehension.

Last edited by Raspy; 10/25/22. Reason: spelling

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT

There is no evidence for the supernatural events described in the bible. We only have what someone wrote.

The people of the time where more likely to believe in supernatural things, seeing signs and wonders where we, being more sceptical with our better understanding of the natural world, would not.

Oh my....scriptures from God the Bible is not evidence? We have discussed that many times....well anyway, your statement is unworthy to Theist and that is what separates Theist from Atheist.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Surely you jest...is that all?

I shit you not. Losing that paper will be a good start for you. Evidence is the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid. Simple as that. Theists don't understand these real world concepts.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Oh my....scriptures from God the Bible is not evidence? We have discussed that many times....well anyway, your statement is unworthy to Theist and that is what separates Theist from Atheist.

More than a number of times, but you never seem to be be able to grasp the fallacy of begging the question, which means that what is written in a book is not evidence for the truth of its own claims. It's also called circular reasoning.

You don't accept evidence as being something that is written other holy books, yet you are happy to apply the fallacy to your own holy book, the bible. Which is a double standard.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

That's all? I'd recommend that you start with basic reading comprehension.

I just meant that you see things that aren't there and don't see things that are there. I assumed it was a comprehension issue but it may be more serious than that.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no such thing as an atheist - no atheist exists - but let me share my deep knowledge of what an atheist should do, and say, and what he should not, etc. - of course, I have no evidence, but you must take my word for this.

Is that convincing, or what?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I, saw the, Light.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
There is no such thing as an atheist - no atheist exists - but let me share my deep knowledge of what an atheist should do, and say, and what he should not, etc. - of course, I have no evidence, but you must take my word for this.

Not at all. Do you believe that all religions are true?

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC

Not at all. Do you believe that all religions are true?
That MUST be convincing - at least to the hypocrites who do it - there must be some reason they go on and on with such silliness?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 62 of 81 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 80 81

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.