Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Yoder409
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Farther right and a whisker lower for me.

I agree with you Yoder. That yellow dot is a very poor shot placement. No bueno.

I agree also, that's terrible shot placement.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm generally going for a hit anywhere in this outline with a rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is correct. anywhere in that circle = Dead Deer.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jc189

This is correct. anywhere in that circle = Dead Deer.

I like the midpoint of that circle in the vertical plane, right in the crease of the neck and shoulder on the horizontal plane. Maybe a touch higher than midpoint if I'm shooting at a downward angle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Too far to the left..

Only saving grace to that shot might be that the NBT flies apart and gets some lung. A sturdy bullet will likely just tear a bunch of meat out and now you've got a runner.

Farther right and a whisker lower for me.

I agree with you Yoder. That yellow dot is a very poor shot placement. No bueno.

I agree also, that's terrible shot placement.
Which was my original post with that pic.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The last 3 deer I’ve killed were all facing me or quartering to. I placed the bullet lower than the picture above basically between the 2 front legs in the solar plexus. None of the 3 took so much as a step and literally crumbled into a ball in their tracks, a couple death kicks and they were finished. Extremely fast clean kills on all 3.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

My shot would be centered and in the lower 1/3 of that circle depending on if I was elevated or not. YMMV

Last edited by fishnpbr; 10/19/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Best place to shoot a deer quartering toward you"

Near the road.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
"Best place to shoot a deer quartering toward you"

Near the road.

Hunting in the Long Pasture there in New York? 🤨

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Point of the shoulder dead deer

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Orange dot for me.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would shoot the upper end of that circle and the deer wouldn't take a step.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
[quote=Doc_Holidude]

Stick, Agreed that a BT is a bit soft for a shoulder, but losing a trophy buck to a TSX was all I needed to experience to switch to faster opening BT's.

You didn’t lose a trophy buck to a TSX. You lost a trophy buck to poor shooting.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Windfall
[quote=Doc_Holidude]

Stick, Agreed that a BT is a bit soft for a shoulder, but losing a trophy buck to a TSX was all I needed to experience to switch to faster opening BT's.

You didn’t lose a trophy buck to a TSX. You lost a trophy buck to poor shooting.

I went to a deer seminar once and the speaker was extolling the “withers shot”. Since that buck was broadside with just his upper half exposed, I tried that shot. Five drops of blood and two days of looking resulted in my only lost deer ever. Minimal wound channels on previous lung shot deer with a TSX and reading Mule Deer’s posts about TSX’s under .30 caliber sporadic performance has me pretty convinced that my bullet didn’t inflict the damage that using a “softer” bullet would have. Last year’s buck with a similar high in the back NBT dumped him on the spot. I suspect that the TSX morphed into the TTSX for the same reason.

Much as I’d like to wait for a more broadside shot presentation, I’ve been picked off most often with deer quartering toward me and hunting the brush where I do, shooting early before they see or wind a person has been a better plan hence the question on the quartering to shot placement. I appreciate all the input.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Windfall/cra1948

check your quoting…you attached me to a Big_Stick/cra1948 convo. I’ve never lost an animal to a TSX or TTSX bullet. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 10/20/22.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Those TSX's do make for a tidy carcass Doc, but seeing a quarter size hole through both lungs on a whitetail instead of lung mush that I've seen with c&c bullets should have told me it wasn't what I wanted in a deer bullet. Now I'm wondering how my 140 grain NBT would do if it did hit a deer's shoulder? Even big deer aren't that large and I can only remember stopping 2-3 bullets in deer over a lifetime of hunting them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yessir, every shot on every animal, no matter the variables, is it’s own unique occurrence. not every bullet replicates the exact “terminal performance” as the previous one did, even with every controlled or mostly controllable variable being the same. if one runs 80 yards and dies and one dies standing right where it’s shot, with every possible other thing being as close to identical(cartridge, load, rifle, distance, shot placement, angle, animal size, sex, condition of animal, weather, etc, does that mean the bullet is to blame for 2 different death scenarios? who knows? is the animal less dead? nope. not an exact science, for sure. for someone to say that they’ll never use brand “Y” bullets because they lost an animal one time to them, is like saying I’ll never buy this brand tire because I had a flat with them one time. about as many variables involved in both scenarios. repeated failures with said bullet or tire would be a cause for loss of confidence for person #1. but if person #2 never experienced the bad luck(or “bad product”) are they just really lucky or are the variables in their favor? guess we’ll never know that part either. I’ll keep using Barnes bullets with confidence until life experience shows me not to. if you can’t abide using TSX or TTSX bullets in any caliber, send them to me, I’ll use them. 😎

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Windfall: Wait until the Deer turns broadside and shoot the Deer through the heart/lungs!
Patience is a virtue and has manifold rewards - especially when Hunting Big Game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Windfall: Wait until the Deer turns broadside and shoot the Deer through the heart/lungs!
Patience is a virtue and has manifold rewards - especially when Hunting Big Game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You've obviously never hunted in the big woods.

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My primarily hunt is an open field I normally don’t have to face that shot
But when in the heavy cover I agree with SKane this shot pops up more that one would imagine so this is great info
When I am in the woods it’s totally different than sitting on my field

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This worked

LOL
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.