Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
My wife & I were going to meet friends for dinner yesterday afternoon and as we approached a 4 way intersection a car turning left stopped so we could pass by, suddenly pulled into our lane. We were a little early as we wanted to pick up a few shopping items in town before meeting for dinner. I decided to take the 2016 Jeep Wrangler as we needed a few bags of chicken feed. I tried to swerve and miss the car, but it hit us in the left rear wheel area, next thing were spinning & sliding backwards, smoke from my tires everywhere. I thought we were going to roll but she stayed upright. Don't know what the guy was thinking, because he was originally stopped to turn. He had a Ford Focus which is destroyed, nose torn off, plastic chit 100 ft. up the road, left front wheel dangling & pitched way out. I put my spare on, my son brought another spare from home, with both rears changed we were able to drive home. She shakes a little bit now so don't know what damage is done to the drivetrain. Insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to give her a look. We're both ok, but I hate it when dinner plans get ruined.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You didn't get the incident investigated? Happy that you both survived.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That sounds like a bummer good you both are ok.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Was the other driver headed to a debate by chance?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You walked away from it unhurt. They make new Jeeps every day. They don't make a new you or your wife.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Lady township cop showed, did a quick report on her in car computer, did a generic printout with an accident incident#, & told us if we want a full report that it will cost $15. She was gone in less than 1/2 hour.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad you were able to walk away. What did the other driver say?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bummer, but just glad your both ok.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
The other guy apologized a bunch of times, Just made a mistake I guess. Could have been a lot worse.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wife and I got hit much the same way, but the guy ran a stop sign.
I learned that if you have to get hit - the place to do it is right in front of the fire station!
I believe those fellers were jerking our doors open before we quit spinning!
"Are you OK, are you OK?"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well at least you got something for your insurance company to file on assuming the other driver has insurance.
The car can be fixed. Could have been worse. Happy you both are safe.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad you're all ok. Vehicle can be repaired/replaced.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Back in the late 1970's in Oakland California we got T-boned in an intersection by a big Dodge van that appeared out of nowhere from downhill and ran a stoplight. A little Datsun station wagon was way outclassed weight-wise. He hit us just about at the left rear wheel area after I saw him coming and accelerated just enough to keep from getting hit in the driver's door. I was able to drive away after doing a little caveman body work on the wheel well and putting a spare tire on. The real drama happened at a local hospital emergency room where I took my wife to get checked out for injuries. She was in an exam area between two groids who had been in a knife fight- - - -separated by only flimsy cloth curtains! They were still yelling at each other and promising to continue the fight as soon as the cops took the handcuffs off and turned them loose!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nimblehunter: Thank goodness you both survived!
If that 2,016 Jeep is "totaled" go find one of the amazing four door Jeeps with the factory diesel engine and the eight speed automatic transmissions.
I hosted an out of state Hunter from October 1st through 15th for an Antelope scouting and then Hunting and that diesel Jeep of his absolutely amazed me!
Again glad you weren't hurt.
Drive defensively and slowly!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I learned that if you have to get hit - the place to do it is right in front of the fire station!

The fire dept around here responds to folks smoking meat in their back yards. Or at least neighbors calling about me smoking meat and thinking our house was burning down.

I hear all the sirens, two fire trucks pull up beside hte back yard. I have a 6' wooden privacy fence. One fireman walks up, all I see is from his mustache on up. He asks, "What's for lunch?"

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Happy birthday Mark!

Romans 5:1
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been in a few wrecks and I was always ask by the police if I wanted to issue the other guy a ticket. I always declined as I did not want the guy to have to pay twice for his mistake (one with his insurance company and again with the court)
Anyway in one case were I was hit from the rear while at a stop light, the cop pulled me aside and told me to always issue a ticket, that it would protect me later if they changed their story about how the wreck happened. Sure enough, a few years later the wife was hit and it saved our bacon. Guy changed his story and tried to sue us, when we went to court, the judge looked at who was ticketed and dismissed the case.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glad there was no serious injuries. It’s still aggravating tho.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Insurance scam. They are after personal injury settlement from the insurance co., and maybe for vehicular damage.

Much the same (well, exactly) thing happened to me some years back. Cop gave us both "Failure to avoid an accident" ticket, which my insurance lady just laughed at. I only realized what was going on after the investigating officer spent 45 minutes talking with me (without any accusations), which seemed very odd. Without directly saying anything, he let me know these were low-lifes, already on LEO radar. An hour or so later I recalled a 60 Minute segment on this type thing, mostly in CA and the West Coast. "Light bulb"!

I decided to take it to court a few weeks later . Whattaya know - the officer ( who assigned the court date) was at Quantico for some training.... smile. Citation dismissed. He knew where he was going to be on that date.

Sure enough, a month so later they tried to claimed some additional car damages from "hitting the curb". Both insurance companies called me, and I pointed out that there was no curb involved - and I had pictures,which I offered to share..

I'd bet that they also went after some (noin-existant) personal injury money, which may or may not have been settled just to get them out of the insurance co's hair.

Last edited by las; 10/26/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
glad it's just a ding.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,765
Posts18,476,713
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.