Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I put a Clark .460 Rowland kit in a Springfield several years ago, and liked it - but got talked out of it on a trade. Have a HK USP .45 now, and have read it is OK for. both 45 ACP +P & .45 Super? Have a box of each by Underwood, both with 255 gr Hard Cast Flat Nose, with Underwood rating them at 925 fps for the +P and 1075 fps for the Super. Haven't tried these in the USP - yet, but want to use them as potential "pig medicine".

Anyone see any problems with these loads in this pistol?

Mike Holmes

Should be fine in the HK

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have *heard* the USP is Super-rated. I imagine that is assuming fresh springs, which I have a tendency to refresh pretty often anyway. If I were to replace the springs, I would think about a pound or two heavier than normal if a steady diet is anticipated.

A 255 hardcast at 925 fps is a penetrating mo-fo, and Underwood uses a good bullet. As far as Super, I am leaning more and more to the Missouri Bullet Company PinBuster at 1050 fps for a variety of reasons, cost and accuracy being two.

I have one Rowland in 1911, waiting on a kit for a Glock 21, and I've established a load I like in the 1911 using a Hunters Supply 275 at about 1075 fps.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either load you mentioned for pig medicine. I believe either one will knock the oink right out of them.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a Glock 21 with a fully supported barrel and 24 pound Wolf recoil spring. With the Missouri Bullet 255 grain pin buster and Power Pistol powder this easily produces 1025 FPS. With this set up case ejection is 8-9 feet. The load is powerful and accurate.

O
O
I think rjrenner makes 7" long slide 1911's still. Chambered for 45 super and acp

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gzig5
Originally Posted by gunner500
Wow! been having fun with a new 45 Super i sprung up, just bought the Springfield Garrison from HilhamHawk, Thanks Troy, it has a forged steel slide and grip frame along with ramped stainless match barrel, i ordered some parts from Wilson Combat and directly from Wolff Springs.

The setup:

Full length Wilson Combat guide rod
28lb Wolff recoil spring
X-tra power firing pin spring that came with recoil spring
Wilson Combat flat bottom firing pin stop
25lb Wolff hammer spring

I Just got a 20lb flat wire Wilson spring and flat firing pin stop with thoughts of setting up for +P or Super loads. Is 28lbs and the other springs required as well to handle it? I thought i had ordered a 24 but I got a 20. Don't want to beat the heck out of it. I really want to get another 460 Rowland setup, but from Clark this time. But if I can setup for the 45 Super that would carry me through deer season.

Well I got the EGW flat FP stop fit nicely and the 28lb mainspring was a bit of a trick but I didn't launch any parts. Unfortunately the 20lb flat recoil spring won't work with my guide rod, it needs one .250" diameter so I had to order a round wire one which puts me back a week or so. While I was at it I ordered an EGW base for my Holosun 507C because I struggle to see the front sight anymore.

Looking for 45 Super data for the 200-255 lead bullets for Blue Dot, Longshot, Unique, Bullseye, 700X or 2400. Those are the only pistol powders I have access to currently.

Here she is, next to Grandpa (belonged to wife's grandfather who was Lt. Cmdr in WW2) which is a 1917 Remington frame with a Colt slide. The Kimber's new 20lb spring and EGW sight base came in and are mounted. Getting that original rear sight out was a bear but I mounted the slide in the Kurt mill vice and shaped a brass punch to drive it out with a 3lb hammer. No damage to sight or slide but it didn't want to move at first. I also took the opportunity to lengthen the throat lead with a Manson reamer so I could run the bullets out to 1.200"+. I may have gone a touch deep but it doesn't shoot any worse than before.
I loaded some extrapolated loads with Blue Dot and Longshot since they are similar in burn rate to AA7 and Power Pistol. Bullet is powder coated Lee .452 255-FP. Brass is shortened 460 Rowland because 45 Super is about unobtainium at the moment. The Longshot loads were way too hot, which was surprising. I won't mention the weights but I must have screwed up with the scale so I'll revisit when I have more time. Didn't have time for chronograph either. The Holosun was pretty well centered from the getgo and initial group on the upper bull was pretty decent from a shaky rest. The second Blue Dot group settled into a bit over 1.5" and made me smile a little. That should tighten up with better rest next time. I like the Holosun, this is my first experience with one of these type of optics. I also ordered a neoprene hood for the optic, which hasn't come in yet. I think this will work nicely for how I want to use it for deer season and hiking in general. I modified my M7 chest holster to accommodate the optic and it should be OK for now.

Attached Images
IMG_3474a.JPG (33.33 KB, 118 downloads)
IMG_3478a.JPG (42.66 KB, 117 downloads)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds good!

I just got in a .460 Rowland kit from Authentic .460 Rowland people. I'm converting one of my Glock 21s.

I have a Clark kit in a Kimber 1911, and have some loads made up for that, so I measured throats. The Glock barrel's throat is .039" longer than the Clark which means there shouldn't be an issue, if anything the Glock could be slightly slower, all else being equal. The Rowland loads I like are only in the 25-26 Kpsi range anyway.

Back to your 1911. It should run pretty good with the setup you describe, and the cartridge is a hoot. You are right about the brass, I ended up buying a stash of +P because, again, the loads I like are not that far above +P pressure. If your barrel has good support, you may consider that unless you're running balls-to-the-walls.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, I can tell you that the Longshot loads I shot were well beyond balls to the wall and the brass wasn't hurt so the barrel has pretty good support. Appeared to be close to proof loads, no dimple in the fired primer. Not sure what I did but I'm going to revisit that powder later.

I really liked how the Rowland I had shot and how well the comp worked, I just didn't think it was as well put together as I wanted. The Clark kit should be better when I get there. I have 200 Rowland cases and that should hold me on the high pressure end. I think you can shoot ACP in the Rowland chamber? I know that my Rowland barrel was deep chambered by nearly .080" and the Rowland case was hanging off the extractor hook for headspace, so ACP wouldn't be much different. That was one of the reasons I got rid of it. Any experience with ACP in the Rowland chamber?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great shooting and nice irons Gzig5, hope you get some meat in front of those this season, mines ready, need to pack it up on the mountain and get next to that giant mama black russian sow, asap!

Vic, funny about the brass, old bud i sold my first 45 Super to told me a few days ago that he's been using standard 45 ACP brass with his Super loads, 230gr FMJ's at 1100 fps, said he never picked up the 45 Super brass i sold him and couldn't find anymore new Starline 45 Super cases, he still has both eyes and all his fingers, maybe the standard brass is okay at those levels, he uses 800X powder as well.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gunner, as I understand it, the headstamped brass was to address the lack of support in a typical 1911 barrel. I also understand that the newer 1911s have better support, so the regular brass very well could be sufficient.

Where I heard use of standard brass was with guys who have aftermarket barrels that have much improved support, and the most often group I hear using ACP brass for Super (and beyond) are guys with Glock 21s, of course that is probably due to gleaning the info from a Glock-specific site.

My Ruger SR1911 appears to have good support as does my Gen-4 21 with a KKM barrel. My Super loads usually top out at 25 Kpsi so Im leaving a little on the table. If a 255 hardcast at 1050 to 1070 fps isn't enough, I figure I just need a bigger gun, anyway grin

I enjoy letting friends fire one of my Supers. Boom.....big grin...."I gotta get one of these!"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I can tell you that the Longshot loads I shot were well beyond balls to the wall and the brass wasn't hurt so the barrel has pretty good support. Appeared to be close to proof loads, no dimple in the fired primer. Not sure what I did but I'm going to revisit that powder later.

I really liked how the Rowland I had shot and how well the comp worked, I just didn't think it was as well put together as I wanted. The Clark kit should be better when I get there. I have 200 Rowland cases and that should hold me on the high pressure end. I think you can shoot ACP in the Rowland chamber? I know that my Rowland barrel was deep chambered by nearly .080" and the Rowland case was hanging off the extractor hook for headspace, so ACP wouldn't be much different. That was one of the reasons I got rid of it. Any experience with ACP in the Rowland chamber?

I have heard of using .45 ACP in a Rowland, but I'm just not a big fan of the case depending on the extracter holding it in place. I'd also be aware of a carbon ring developing in the chamber.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I have heard of using .45 ACP in a Rowland, but I'm just not a big fan of the case depending on the extracter holding it in place. I'd also be aware of a carbon ring developing in the chamber.

Agree with your comments. Not a fan of it hanging off the hook either, but that is how Rowland chambers his barrels. The 460 chamber was way deep. Got a bit pissy when I brought it up with him.

Last edited by gzig5; 10/29/22.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Gunner, as I understand it, the headstamped brass was to address the lack of support in a typical 1911 barrel. I also understand that the newer 1911s have better support, so the regular brass very well could be sufficient.

Where I heard use of standard brass was with guys who have aftermarket barrels that have much improved support, and the most often group I hear using ACP brass for Super (and beyond) are guys with Glock 21s, of course that is probably due to gleaning the info from a Glock-specific site.

My Ruger SR1911 appears to have good support as does my Gen-4 21 with a KKM barrel. My Super loads usually top out at 25 Kpsi so Im leaving a little on the table. If a 255 hardcast at 1050 to 1070 fps isn't enough, I figure I just need a bigger gun, anyway grin

I enjoy letting friends fire one of my Supers. Boom.....big grin...."I gotta get one of these!"

You bet Vic, my new 45 Super Springfield Garrison has a ramped barrel, when i had it apart dropped a round in, it shows great casehead support, i could mostly get buy with standard WW 45 ACP brass with 200grs at only 1250, i wont load BTTW either, we all have bigger guns if need be, 454C and 500 Linebaugh are just a couple pegs over on a safe door.

The BOOM and big grin is exactly the way i lost my first 45 Super, it was built on an all steel 5" Springfield Trophy Match, was bracing off a back porch post shooting rocks on the bank of Wifes brim pond 90 yards away when Big Bobby pulled up, now big Bobby lives Big, has a wad of cash in his pockets about the size of his belly, when that guy see's something that sparks his eye, the hundred dollar bills come out, when got a sufficient pile loaded on the bbq grill, i went in the house and got the rest of the loaded ammo and a leather holster, he drank 5 beers in about 10 minutes, shook my hand with a big grin and left LOL!

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great story!

I've thought about a bigger revolver than the .44 I presently have, and the Casull is one to consider, but a big .50 would be something to behold.

A friend was considering a FA (I think it was FA) in .500 JRH, but hasn't bought one yet.

I'd do a Big Bobby if he did. Though I doubt he'd sell it, leaving me to find my own. I'd fire it, get a big ol' grin on my face, and the search would be on!

Gzig5-I've had communication with both .460 Rowland inc. and Clark Custom and was never made to feel like I was irritating the Clark folks at all. Great people to talk with.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Huntington conversion Freedom Arms M83 to 500 JRH. Way more gun than I can handle any more, but enjoy it with moderate loads too much to sell.
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Back to orig thread -- here's my Clark 460 Rowland conversion:
Also have an HK USP with Rowland conversion but lost the picture. Gave it to my son for backup while bow hunting elk. It's loaded with Cutting edge 200gr flat nose mono metal bullets using Longshot at about 1,350 fps.
Used the HK with Super level 230s at 1,075 - 1,100 fps before converting to Rowland.

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 10/30/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by paul105
Huntington conversion Freedom Arms M83 to 500 JRH. Way more gun than I can handle any more, but enjoy it with moderate loads too much to sell.

Nice!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir Vic, i concur ; ]

Damn nice irons Paul, i wouldnt sell that FA either, i shoot 460 and 530gr bullets from my 500L at only 1000-1050 fps too, i know that'll get it all done, as would your 230's at 1100.

Well, the corn barrel i hung to shoot pigs off of with my 45 Super is covered up with deer, we have no acorns this year, cant make myself blow a buck deer out of a corn bucket, i may have screwed up my deer season here at the house trying to bust some pigs LOL!

I'll just still hunt the rest of the mountain, maybe i'll run onto a nice buck.

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.