Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
I was kind of surprised he chose the different extractor route as a person with his skills should have that figured out? wink

I don't have the luxury to do stuff for my own entertainment anymore. That stopped about 25 years ago. I run a busy shop and my customers, the paying ones dictate what extractor goes on what gun.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RickB,

You've taken this whole thread and my posts out of context. Now when did I post I could open up a boltface? Myself and others advised Thomas to look for a different donor just as several others advised. How hard is that to comprehend? Are we not qualified to make that call?

As for Boresnake, I was curious if he could duplicate the factory extractor groove so I asked him. And he more or less answered my question just as I thought he would.

Get a clue dude! And get off your high horse while you're at it! smile

MtnHtr

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As for Boresnake, I was curious if he could duplicate the factory extractor groove so I asked him. And he more or less answered my question just as I thought he would.

How fast you can turn this job around and would it include the factory Rem extractor?

You didn't ask me if I could, which I can, you asked me if it was included, which, like I said, is up to the customer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BoreSnake
..... but let's keep it real, it is easily within the scope of a competent gunsmith. It is a piece of cake!

"piece of cake" as in "do-able" or maybe not a smart procedure to follow?

I wouldn't recommend pursuing that can-'o-worms!

If I needed to turn my M700 SA in .223 into a .308W - which is what I wanted to do, having to machine and "smith" the sides and rails of the .223 action is a really hard way to get a .308 in a Remy M700 short action! AND UN-NECESSARILY EXPENSIVE!!

Is it "do-able?" Yeah, but only IF it has to be done!

Is it practical? Not much. shocked

My gunsmith makes his own barrels and holds records shot with those barrels. Big deal! He advised me - trying to be thoughtful of my wallet - to follow a different more practical course, which I appreciate.

I'm sure some good armorer's and gunsmiths can turn a sow's ear into a purse, but for a custom rifle I'm not that desparate! I'll start with a more sensible donor action.

Last edited by StubbleDuck; 11/02/07.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Stubbleduck,

I would not even try to question these two "professionals".

So far instead of giving out practical and economical advice, these two have disparaged the common folks on this board and tried to make themselves out as some kind of elitist gunsmiths.

They have failed to impress me..........

MtnHtr

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stubbleduck,

I would not even try to question these two "professionals".

So far instead of giving out practical and economical advice, these two have disparaged the common folks on this board and tried to make themselves out as some kind of elitist gunsmiths.

They have failed to impress me..........

MtnHtr

Amen, Mtn Hunter. wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RickB,

You've taken this whole thread and my posts out of context. Now when did I post I could open up a boltface? Myself and others advised Thomas to look for a different donor just as several others advised. How hard is that to comprehend? Are we not qualified to make that call?

Get a clue dude! And get off your high horse while you're at it! smile

MtnHtr

I believe that you are the one that needs a step ladder to climb on your horse there Pard! smile

Your post to Boresnake was in the form of an arrogant challenge...NOT a question. I may be a high school drop out but I did hang around long enough to learn to read. If it makes you feel better now to try and play little Mr. Innocent who was just asking a question that tells me allot about you.

I responded directly to your post, and your post only...and I took absolutely NOTHING out of context.

Unless you are fast enough (again!) to go back and edit your posts everyone on here can see for themselves what both of us said and didn�t say.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could be wrong butI do not believe that the feed rails differ 223 vs. 7-08. Just the mag box, follower, spacer, and spring. What say you you BoreSnake?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RickB,

You take me anyway you want dude, nothing like arguing on the 'net. wink

Build any lightweight rifles recently? grin

Have a great a weekend!

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that a Stainless 223 model 7?

Give me first dibs if you decide to sell smile

J

Ps....Settle down guys, you are all good people!

[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

"piece of cake" as in "do-able" or maybe not a smart procedure to follow?

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/piece%20of%20cake

Originally Posted by stubbleduck
I wouldn't recommend pursuing that can-'o-worms!

Only a can-'o-worms for those who get in over their heads.

If I needed to turn my M700 SA in .223 into a .308W - which is what I wanted to do, having to machine and "smith" the sides and rails of the .223 action is a really hard way to get a .308 in a Remy M700 short action! AND UN-NECESSARILY EXPENSIVE!!

Try to pay attention. You don't have to touch the rails. They are fine. Open the bolt face, change the box and follower, and provide for extraction. No more, no less.

I'm sure some good armorer's and gunsmiths can turn a sow's ear into a purse, but for a custom rifle I'm not that desparate! I'll start with a more sensible donor action.

This wasn't about you. Thomas Towns, the originator of this thread asked "Anybody done this?". The guy wanted to know if anyone had experience. I do. I was presenting the other side.

There you go Mtn Hunter, Stubbleduck has demonstrated exactly what I meant by "Arm chair Experts who proliferate these sites". He doesn't have a clue as to what's involved yet that doesn't stop him from jumping in with both left feet. Which is fine AS LONG AS there is balance. Nothing disparaging about that. Just stating a fact.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
FVA you are correct.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Try to pay attention. You don't have to touch the rails. They are fine. Open the bolt face, change the box and follower, and provide for extraction. No more, no less.

I converted one from 223 to 7-08 for a guy a couple years ago. It wouldn't feed a 7-08 round at all with the 223 rails. Have you gotten them to feed "as is"? Or is it one of those things where some will feed and some won't?...curious about this,...the 223 rails are quite a bit narrower and the angle on the bottom of the rails is different.....you know this, but I'm surprised you can get them to feed as is.

Last edited by rembo; 11/02/07.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a 700 here in 17 Ackley. A .308 will pass through the rails with no problem. The 700 and Model Seven in there respective calibers are the same with regards to the feed rails, and the magazine's interchange. I converted a 223 to 22-250 Ackley as recently as this past month with no problem. This particular customer has since turned this into a single shot, but not due to any feeding problems.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm gonna shot something right square in the face tomorrow........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
grin grinOK guys....the question is hereby withdrawn.... I just made a deal for a trade...Yep a Mod. 7...7-08 whistle You boys really do get your panties in a wad pretty quick around here grin Thanks for all the replys...tt

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm gonna shot something right square in the face tomorrow........
grin+1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There you go Mtn Hunter, Stubbleduck has demonstrated exactly what I meant by "Arm chair Experts who proliferate these sites". He doesn't have a clue as to what's involved yet that doesn't stop him from jumping in with both left feet. Which is fine AS LONG AS there is balance. Nothing disparaging about that. Just stating a fact.

You really are a stupid jarhead, aren't you boreworm? I only repeated what "another opinion" in the form of another gunsmith told me. Another gunsmith whom I trust because he acts like a human being and looks his customers in the eye instead spuing his ego.

Why should anyone trust you? Because you're some dumbazz, egomanialcal rifle "builder?" Tell me another one! I'm reeaaaaly impressed. smirk grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
A .308 will pass through the rails with no problem. The 700 and Model Seven in there respective calibers are the same with regards to the feed rails, and the magazine's interchange.
Yep... I guess IF a guy wanted to go to the expense, he could get a magazine box & follower. A bolt & barrel etc. & have himself a switch barrel rifle...Let me ask some of you EXPERTS out there...What is the difference between the feed rails of a Model Seven .223 & .308...hmmm...come on I'm REALLY interested...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
FVA you are correct.

BS,

As for Rem 700s, the frame rails are not the same, FVA was incorrect (and he respectfully admitted he might be wrong - good on him).

So hack away, it's a piece of cake!

Seems your first priority is to take the customer's money instead of steering him to the easier and less expensive route. I'm not suprised either. wink

MtnHtr

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.